Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Has there been any new progress on using ipad 3s as makeshift monitors?

I've got one lying around but I've seen no documentation or anything on the concept.
You would have to take the screen out and get a cheap lcd driver board on amazkn($20) and it will work. But there hasn't been any cases made for an iPad screen or anything.

durrTK

Oct 27, 2017
After many months of having my mister unplugged, I decided to hook it up and do some updating. I hooked it up via HDMI and fired up a nes game just to make sure everything still worked and immediately noticed that the volume was incredibly low. Like even at 75 percent on my tv and it was still hard to hear. Any ideas why that is? Is there a volume control on the mister that I'm not aware of?

smuf

Oct 27, 2017
After many months of having my mister unplugged, I decided to hook it up and do some updating. I hooked it up via HDMI and fired up a nes game just to make sure everything still worked and immediately noticed that the volume was incredibly low. Like even at 75 percent on my tv and it was still hard to hear. Any ideas why that is? Is there a volume control on the mister that I'm not aware of?

There's two volume sliders (one for the core, one master) if you go to the left when the MiSTer menu is open.

Einhandr

Shinra Employee
Oct 27, 2017
You would have to take the screen out and get a cheap lcd driver board on amazkn($20) and it will work. But there hasn't been any cases made for an iPad screen or anything.

I think a lot of people were buying "replacement" screens from aliexpress, not tearing apart iPad 3's. There was a link somewhere to the screens but I don't have it.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I think a lot of people were buying "replacement" screens from aliexpress, not tearing apart iPad 3's. There was a link somewhere to the screens but I don't have it.
From the laser bear link above:

Driver and screen
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002113658592.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33009779431.html
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R4VR9PR

Driver board only
https://www.ebay.com/itm/222769145340
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R4W8H6K

Replicant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I suppose you could do that, but I question the quality of those parts. If they aren't OEM, all the lag less stuff people are using the screen for may be pointless.

Replicant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
s
Yes, furthest menu on on the left

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
If you have to buy everything for the ipad set up, you're spending close to $150 at the end, including the case. I would just put that toward a 1440p computer monitor.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
If you have to buy everything for the ipad set up, you're spending close to $150 at the end, including the case. I would just put that toward a 1440p computer monitor.

The size/portability and the performance of the display are lost on the PC monitor path. I would guess that most people building these guys already have a suitable PC monitor.

Arcticfox

Oct 27, 2017
I see iPad screens as the go to solution when building a custom cabinet, but not for causal use. While I have a retro gaming setup with a CRT in my basement, when I want to play something while having some sports on in the background I use a simple portable monitor I got found on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YCY9N31/). It was 1440p, had a built in speaker, and included a stand. Simple to use, and the input lag is not enough to notice while playing turn-based RPGs which is mainly how I use it.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
I may be wrong, but that would probably need a different adapter altogether. Retina is also not really good news there, de10-nano isn't built to put out 4k.

Oct 25, 2017
The iPad 3 and iPad 4 screens are the same resolution. I don't know if they're both compatible with the control board that is currently being sold. I would stick to using whatever everyone else is using until you're told otherwise.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I could really use some help here:

I finally set up my MiSTer FPGA on a large sd card using Mr. Fusion. It installed correctly, then I ran the update script and it worked fine. I set up a wifi connection and I was able to SFTP to the device from my computer.

However, when I attempt to make any changes to the file structure (add/delete/rename) through the FTP program, I get a vague error message. This is the error from Filezilla:

Error: /testfile.txt: open for write: received failure with description 'Failure'
Error: File transfer failed

I get a similar error in WinSCP. Wifi or Ethernet doesn't make a difference.

I don't know what's wrong. The sd card is nowhere near full and I can copy files to it just fine when I connect it directly to my PC.

edit: I even tried manually recreating the MiSTer files from scratch instead of using Mr. Fusion. Same FTP error

edit edit: I might be trying to make changes in write-protected areas. I only noticed that error when I connected with regular FTP instead of SFTP.

edit^3: Confirmed. Some folders are write protected when you access them through FTP.

Last edited:

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
In my experience FTP just doesn't seem to work with anything anymore, but SCP is a different story. No real ideas besides trying a different computer and/or network if you have one handy.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not near my computer at the moment but I use WinSCP to manage files remotely to misters on my wifi and haven't had any issues as recently as last Friday.

Looks like Night Warriors is coming tomorrow, along with Dungeons & Dragons.

Also dimahoo (and sidenote I saw some chatter about a Mr Do! Core too?)

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Well that's the thing, I didn't mess with my setup enough to mind removing the card so far.

I will see if I'll find something about file system permissions.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not near my computer at the moment but I use WinSCP to manage files remotely to misters on my wifi and haven't had any issues as recently as last Friday.
After much testing, I found that it really was an issue with certain folders being write-protected when you connect with an FTP client. I can edit them just fine when I plug the card into my PC.

As for remote transfers, I'm finding that wifi speeds are very slow, even when I'm right next to my router. A tenth of my Ethernet speed. Not a big deal I guess.

Wifi in general is touchy as hell. I simply couldn't get wifi to connect unless I:
  • set up the MiSTer with Mr. Fusion
  • Immediately run the update script
  • THEN run the wifi script
When I tried other methods, it kept hanging when trying to search for SSIDs, and when I tried to save the wifi settings. Oftentimes the wifi script wouldn't do anything at all! It would just tell me to press any key and I'd be right back in the MiSTer menu.

Last edited:

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I'm impressed with the pace on Saturn.

I'm curious how far the N64 efforts will go, and if they'll be anywhere close to fitting on the De10. It may be another 3-5 years before we get an affordable successor FPGA platform.

edit:

Last edited:

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Considering the PS1 core is not running on the DE-10 at the moment, any comparison is mostly meaningless. The work of optimization required to make it work on DE-10 will take an additional year or two at least, I imagine.

Still, good to see development on-going in every front (except Sega 16 and Sega 32, the former of which I'm still mad as I used to contribute for a specific Patreon that was supposedly working on it). The recent CPS1 and 2, Atari Lynx, all the other existing stuff... MiSTer is the best thing I've ever invested in, gaming-wise, and I'm loving every minute of it.

Melpontro

Oct 25, 2017
FPGA based Saturn and PS1 would be fantastic, really exciting stuff!

I ended up getting my MiSTer hooked up to my CRT via component and it has been real nice to keep in my home office for use in-between work.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
So we have the original Darkstalkers, and today Vampire Hunter 1, are there 3 games left or 2?

Savior 1 next, then Hunter 2, then Savior 2? Or is one of those redundant/regional in the arcade space?

Oct 25, 2017
So we have the original Darkstalkers, and today Vampire Hunter 1, are there 3 games left or 2?

Savior 1 next, then Hunter 2, then Savior 2? Or is one of those redundant/regional in the arcade space?

Hunter 2 and Savior 2 came out alongside each other. They both brought back Donovan, Huitzil/Phobos and Pyron. In exchange they swapped out different characters from VSAV. Other than that my understanding is that they are broadly the same game with the same systems, mechanics, stages etc

VSAV is the one that is played at a competitive level as there are some differences between that and the later versions (different behaviour with the dark soul mechanic for each character is the main thing that comes to mind). The followups didn't seem to get much attention at the time.

In a way I would almost describe them as arranged versions of VSAV or 'omake' in a similar manner to the Street Fighter Zero 2 Alpha release we saw the other day. Neither are really sequels to their namesakes.

Roge_NES

Feb 18, 2018
MiSTer Addons just shipped out my bundle, I'll be joining y'all in this mess soon.

youboughtamister.gif

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
When using analog video is there a way from the ini file to alter the width of the display, as on my Sony Trinitron the screen is a bit to wide and cuts off bit of the side of the screen either side??

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
When using analog video is there a way from the ini file to alter the width of the display, as on my Sony Trinitron the screen is a bit to wide and cuts off bit of the side of the screen either side??

Analog out is exactly what the original consoles put out, and there's no real way to correct that on the MiSTer side. But with consumer trinitrons you can usually adjust the geometry in the service menu. If you get the model number for your CRT you can probably find the service manual online and adjust it yourself.

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017

Mine does this but no that's not the mister it's then tv. You may need to see if you can get into the tv service menu and see if you can adjust it.

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
Mine does this but no that's not the mister it's then tv. You may need to see if you can get into the tv service menu and see if you can adjust it.

I wondered if it was just due to Capcom games as i know they had a oddball type widescreen resolution. I have used a RPi3 device with the RGBPi scart adapter and that never seems to cut the image off the sides as the MiSter does.

Is there no aspect ratio settings in the Misters UI available like when using just the HDMI output?

What's your model number?

Is a KV-21LS30U

Its a UK model

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I wondered if it was just due to Capcom games as i know they had a oddball type widescreen resolution. I have used a RPi3 device with the RGBPi scart adapter and that never seems to cut the image off the sides as the MiSter does.

Is there no aspect ratio settings in the Misters UI available like when using just the HDMI output?

Is a KV-21LS30U

Its a UK model
Try turning the tv off. Then press Display > 5 > Vol UP > Power ON.

GamePnoy74

Oct 27, 2017
Is it sufficient to use the stock DE-10 power plug with the MiSTer FPGA Digital I/O bundle out of the box? Or do I need to shop around for a 5V/4A/20W PSU before turning it on?

Only accessories I'm planning to connect to it for now is just a USB Bluetooth dongle, or the 8BitDo 2.4Gz wireless adapter that was included with their Arcade Stick.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Is it sufficient to use the stock DE-10 power plug with the MiSTer FPGA Digital I/O bundle out of the box? Or do I need to shop around for a 5V/4A/20W PSU before turning it on?

Only accessory I'm planning to connect to it for now is just a USB Bluetooth dongle.
Yeah I've only ever used the power supply it came with.

There were some voltage drop issues when certain splitters and switches were added into the mix a while back but if you have a digital i/o board that shouldn't be a problem.