• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Everybody is praising the action sequences but what impressed me the most was how sharp the sound direction was from the mixing to matching the OST to specific scenes in the movie, such as the beats corresponding to the CIA director's steps in her intro. Absolutely crisp.
Yeah the sound design was great. I loved the choppiness of the wind being matched to the camera tracking Ilsa on her motorcycle as she moved to intercept Ethan.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
there are a lot of beautiful shots in this movie. I love the color grading in the club.
Yeah the sound design was great. I loved the choppiness of the wind being matched to the camera tracking Ilsa on her motorcycle as she moved to intercept Ethan.

I agree the sound is superb.

there's a lot of beautiful women in this movie. even that cop lol

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I'd give it a solid 8/10. Incredible action sequences and more weight to it than any previous M.I. film.

I think the script was probably my least favourite thing about it; comically convoluted at times even for this series, though at least it was somewhat self-aware of this with the reveals built on top of reveals and lines like, "You can fly a helicopter now!?"

I thought the cheesy nightmare sequence was an awful way to start the film and following it up with a giant exposition dump wasn't great either (a series staple but front-loading the film with it didn't work for me), but it picked up a lot from there.

Not a popular opinion but I thought the Ethan-Ilsa romance felt really forced. Sure they had a rapport in the previous movie but I never bought that Ethan really cared about her all that much or that Ilsa's "come away with me" line was a genuine declaration of love or whatever, so when Luther said "he only cares about 2 women" it just seemed super contrived to me.

I did like how they tied off Monaghan's story and actually made Ethan feel like an actual person for the first time in the series rather than a Tom Cruise blank slate action hero.

If it was better written this would be a top-tier action film but for me it settles for being an incredibly well-crafted effort, which is still awesome.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just a reminder that paying to see this movie is practically a direct donation to a criminal organization that has a slave labor force which waits on Tom Cruise hand and foot. They do mods to his vehicles among other intense labor, for $50 per week.
Yeah, the star of this movie having a malnourished work force living in slave-like conditions at his every beck and call (and being perfectly okay with it) is hilarious stuff.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone is pretending to be something or someone else and Tom Cruise can climb a sheer cliff after crashing a helicopter.

Also jet fuel can't melt man of steel's head.
His head was also perfectly fine after crashing off a bike without a helmet

This was the first mission impossible I've ever seen

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
His head was also perfectly fine after crashing off a bike without a helmet

This was the first mission impossible I've ever seen
This is par for the course for these movies. Ethan Hunt should be dead like 8 times over at this point. That's at least 3rd time he's crashed like that in these movies.

hotcyder

Oct 28, 2017
I saw it in a cinema with a broken air conditioner and a very agitated audience

Didn't leave my seat in till the credits rolled. As good as Rogue Nation IMO and another solid gold hit to what is now the most consistent action series ever.

The entire Paris section from the failed Halo jump to the failed Bathroom fight to the extraction of Soloman is probably my favourite extended set piece of the entire franchise. All the White Widow stuff felt straight out of an old Bond movie sandwiched between Bourne beating action.

Ghost Protocol might still be my Number One but this isn't far behind.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The one point where there was one twist too many was Walker revealing that the CIA men that Angela Bassett sent to detain all of them were really his men. It comes right after Walker reveals himself to be Lark and then that IMF figured it out and trapped him.

That's four twists one after the other in the space of 5 minutes. The first one is the standard one, which sets up the second "Attack On Titan" style twist. Awesome! But then in a 3rd, Angela Bassett, who was just learned that Walker was an enemy agent, already had her team dispatched just at the right time to pick them all up. So when Walker announced that that team were really in league with him in a 4th twist, it almost made me throw my hands up in protest. It was unnecessary and kept me from savouring the awesome Lane switcharoo. Even Westworld writers might say that was too much.

The movie did have a good foot chase after that so I got back into it.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
This is par for the course for these movies. Ethan Hunt should be dead like 8 times over at this point. That's at least 3rd time he's crashed like that in these movies.
I expected a few more fight scenes. That one in the bathroom was probably my favorite scene in the whole movie. Is this series based on some other source material, or is it a Hollywood original

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
You think what I said isn't true?

So make a thread about it. You're more likely to have an actual discussion about the topic of Tom Cruise outside of his films and why people may or may not still watch his movies if you create a thread about it, rather than derailing this one.

But I don't think you wanted an actual discussion, you wanted to be judgmental of people and let them know they're wrong for seeing his movies.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I expected a few more fight scenes. That one in the bathroom was probably my favorite scene in the whole movie. Is this series based on some other source material, or is it a Hollywood original
The first movie is nominally based on a 60s TV series, and everything since then has been original.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
The one point where there was one twist too many was Walker revealing that the CIA men that Angela Bassett sent to detain all of them were really his men. It comes right after Walker reveals himself to be Lark and then that IMF figured it out and trapped him.

That's four twists one after the other in the space of 5 minutes. The first one is the standard one, which sets up the second "Attack On Titan" style twist. Awesome! But then in a 3rd, Angela Bassett, who was just learned that Walker was an enemy agent, already had her team dispatched just at the right time to pick them all up. So when Walker announced that that team were really in league with him in a 4th twist, it almost made me throw my hands up in protest. It was unnecessary and kept me from savouring the awesome Lane switcharoo. Even Westworld writers might say that was too much.

When the head of the CIA was like: "I dont trust anyone in that room anymore." I knew we were in for some contrived bullshit. It was the only point in the movie that ever actually annoyed me.

Shadownet

Oct 29, 2017

I just wanted to point out, not all of the men in that underground room were Walker's men. Only 2 or 3. They gunned down the rest of the CIA members when Walker said "Go."

Also I enjoyed the intense one upping in that short amount of time. It was great.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This might be the funniest "overly pedantic nerd goes to an action movie" line I've read in a while. Congrats!
Is it really that hilarious? At some level it starts to get silly how riddled with moles and double agents major intelligence agencies are, and the way it tends to work in the villain's favor often feels strangely contrived.

Haelsly

Oct 25, 2017
Just got back from an advance screening here in Melbourne. The movie doesn't come out until Thursday and I'm so glad I decided not to wait til then. I'll definitely be seeing it again once it's released properly.

Fantastic stuff. As much as this series is a vehicle for Cruise's action set pieces I find I still love the ensemble/team moments best of all. I'm sad they couldn't get Renner back for this one but it was lovely to see Pegg, Rhames, and Ferguson all together again. The last (speculative) comment I read mentioned the possibility of Cavill joining the team, but I'm glad it went the other way. Enjoyed him more as a villain. I think I might've liked to see more of Harris, but I don't know how they would've managed that, so I'll take what I can get.

It's great to have a series that's so consistently well made and entertaining. I had a grin on my face for so much of this. It's a good feeling.

OP
OP
Radec

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
The Apostle/Syndicate are still around right?

I mean they just stopped the nukes and killed probably a handful of them but not yet destroyed the org.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
So make a thread about it. You're more likely to have an actual discussion about the topic of Tom Cruise outside of his films and why people may or may not still watch his movies if you create a thread about it, rather than derailing this one.

But I don't think you wanted an actual discussion, you wanted to be judgmental of people and let them know they're wrong for seeing his movies.
Preach. You got opinions about Tom Cruise and the ethics of seeing his movies, make a thread to hash it out. This is for people to discuss this movie.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Best blockbuster of the year? I don't see how this can be topped. It's pretty much the perfect sort of action thriller blockbuster. No expense spared, great cast, great locales, incredible set pieces, and all wrapped in a script which simply works, stunning cinematography, and really, really fucking good sound direction. The score was great but the way it was used to puncuate every scene with perfect timing was brilliant. Oh and Tom Cruise. Tom Cruise. Tom Cruise. Tom Cruise. The man is a mystery. How is he so fucking fit?! It's insane. Pacing, escalation, tension, intensity, satisfaction. This movie has it all. Sony should probably give up on their Uncharted film forever, or call Christopher McQuarrie.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017

This makes little sense. Walker/Lark having subverted some of the Special Activities Division officers works because he was a member of the SAD.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Oh and Tom Cruise. Tom Cruise. Tom Cruise. Tom Cruise. The man is a mystery. How is he so fucking fit?! It's insane.
His dedication to this kind of stuntwork is pretty ridiculous, but it's also easier for him to stay in shape compared to most 50-year-olds when he has an entire religious organization devoted to keeping him healthy and in shape. :P

Bndadm

Oct 29, 2017
You know I am remembering more scenes from the trailer I don't recall ever being in the film.

The blood dripping off barb wired fence.
Ilse walking past a bullet riddled jeep with bodies.
Ethan approaching the bunker door.

Am I completly blanking on those or did anyone else notice?

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
You know I am remembering more scenes from the trailer I don't recall ever being in the film.

The blood dripping off barb wired fence.
Ilse walking past a bullet riddled jeep with bodies.
Ethan approaching the bunker door.

Am I completly blanking on those or did anyone else notice?

Pretty sure those were all part of the same scene and I think it just got cut

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
5 out of 5 action thriller for me. Its been a while since a movie had me on the edge of my seat like this, amazing stuff.

BorganXI

Oct 27, 2017
WA
Saw the movie and loved it. Great action all the way through. That bathroom fight !

I would like to see the next movie(s) focus on a "normal" IMF mission. The whole mole, agent double cross, triple cross, working for the other side is a bit played out now.

Also, it's getting really annoying seeing these trailers with awesome scenes, only for said scenes to not be in the film. If your going to hook people with that, keep it in the actual movie!

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
My first Mission Impossible. It was entertaining enough. I'm ok if I never see another fight scene or car chase again. Needed a couple of hours to kill and this did a decent enough job.
End review.

FlashbladeERA

Oct 27, 2017
My first Mission Impossible. It was entertaining enough. I'm ok if I never see another fight scene or car chase again. Needed a couple of hours to kill and this did a decent enough job.
End review.
Still can't believe Cruise did that chase scene with no CGI.

Man is crazy to ride a motorcycle thru traffic without a helmet at top speed

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I loved this movie. Think I'm going to see it again next week. It took a little while to get going, but once it did, it never let up. I was fooled by almost all of the twists, and for once, the movie felt like it actually climaxed at the end rather than in the middle. Glad they properly handled the hanging Julia thread and can now move on from it. Also, I enjoyed CNN actually being fake news here, haha.

Btw, I totally missed White Widow being Max's daughter. What was the reference?

I'm going on Monday, can't wait! Is it really important to re watch the other movies?
I'd say at the very least, watch Rogue Nation, since this is pretty much a direct sequel to it.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
McQuarrie is such an adept writer, he gives every character a moment to shine and humanises them, gives them lives of their own rather than leave them as archetypes. The franchise did nothing with Luther after the first movie, until this one where he's an actual character again and not an exposition machine. Compare this movie to MI: 3 with its cardboard cut-out team, McQuarrie is on another level.

I love the small moments he gives his characters in the middle of action scenes, like Walker cursing when his weapon is out of ammo in the climactic chopper sequence. Just small moments like that sprinkled throughout the movie make a difference.

I also found it intriguing that Hunt had several moments where he could have let innocents die to maintain his cover but didn't. If he did, it would make him a compelling tragic figure that you see in the genre, but then again, him going out of his way to never allow an innocent to die is also admirable too. The movie could have gone in either direction and still been a compelling character study.

Lastly, count me as another frustrated trailer viewer disgruntled that scenes didn't make the final cut, like that insane shot of Hunt steering his chopper directly at a truck!

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a movie! Loved the double crosses. Felt like a nolan movie. Good shit.
i2giDiR.gif

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
I just got out of the theather, and absolutely loved the film. At risk of being premature, I'd say I felt close at times to how I did while watching The Bourne Ultimatum or The Dark Knight. Very entertaining, supported by fantastic work above and below the line, invigorated by a playful, well-tuned script, shot beautifully and brought to life with what seemed a really inspired cast. The things Tom Cruise does at his age should be prohibited by doctors.

McQuarrie and the team did their best with the formula and hit it out of the park. Now to listen the soundtrack at home.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Oops, double post. I'll take the chance to praise Cavill. Whatever you went through with the moustache and JL, man, was worth it for this. If money wasn't so tempting, he should quit DC and focus on these roles, because he nails them.

Last edited: