• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
www.tmz.com

Tom Cruise's 60th Birthday Honored by 'M:I' Director, Wild Plane Stunt

Tom Cruise wasn't born on the Fourth of July, but came close -- and on his special day, a filmmaking partner is honoring him by basically saying ... never change, you nutty bastard.
Tom Cruise wasn't born on the Fourth of July, but came close -- and on his special day, a filmmaking partner is honoring him by basically saying ... never change, you nutty bastard.

The actor turned 60 Sunday, and to ring in the milestone ... director Christopher McQuarrie posted a wild photo to celebrate TC and the death-defying stunts that he still carries out himself to this day ... including on the forthcoming 'Mission: Impossible' movie(s).

As you can see, there's Tommy dangling from the wing of an old-timey biplane ... without anyone in the cockpit, it seems. Just Tom hanging on solo, without much assistance.

McQuarrie didn't add much context to this pic -- other than wishing Tom a happy 60th -- but it's pretty obvious this is from either "Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One" or 'Part Two' ... both of which CMQ is helming with Tom in the driver's seat.
5bf7347e7cb3445bbf3992a2bd9e5725_md.jpg

Tom is insane.

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
i felt my diaphram move when I saw this photo... not in a million years, not for billions of dollars, not for all the Ninja Turtle comics...

(Happy Birthday, Tom)

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Jokes on the photo, the Cruise Missile doesn't even need a plane.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Dude is nuts. I was flabbergasted the other day when I found out that the scene with him hanging off the door of a jumbo jet taking off was real and it took them multiple takes to get the final shot

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I don't even know what the purpose of that stunt would be so I'm going to assume he's carrying that plane.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
His poor agent having a mental breakdown every time another one of these comes out

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
I think I've made peace with the future headline that Tom Cruise died, and not from natural causes.

He's nuts!

Embiid

Feb 20, 2021
I vaguely remember hearing Dead Reckoning Part One finished filming so this could be from the sequel

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
This kind of stuff is the most normal part of Tom Cruise. It's the other shit insane.

Edit: Would love to see the conversations in movie studio insurance agents though lol

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Guy is a fucking legend. Unshakeable faith in Xenu. He doesn't need a parachute or any safety measures at all, his thetan level makes Vader's midichlorian count look pedestrian.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
This guy really wants to die in the most dramatic possible fashion and then have the use the footage in a movie

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Seeing the behind the scenes of him doing all his own stunts in Dubi outside the Burj Khalifa is when I realized he really is a different breed. I still think that is his greatest and craziest stunt work.

mandiller

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Tom is heading to space to film on the ISS too, right?

That that actually seems normal compared to all his other stunts is nuts.

coldcrush

Jun 11, 2018
without knowing the context of this scene (like is he about to fall off and skydive?), I wonder how he is attached to the plane,,, surely you couldn't just attach his arms without them ripping off,,, looks like he's stuck on by something behind his head too hahaha

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

We know.

ExhaustedSelfishEuropeanpolecat-size_restricted.gif

Who is crazier, Tom or Jackie?

Jackie seems to go for more quantity than death-defying, but I haven't seen every stunt he's ever done.

Jackie Chan, only because Jackie got hospitalized/injured several times during the batshit insane stunts. Armour of God he was nearly killed too. Cruise...never gotten injured. Xenu buffs all around.

This doesn't really show who does more stunts that would more likely get them outright killed, only that Jackie ended up getting badly injured from some that he did.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Jackie Chan, only because Jackie got hospitalized/injured several times during the batshit insane stunts. Armour of God he was nearly killed too. Cruise...never gotten injured. Xenu buffs all around.
He broke his ankle on a MI movie doing a roof to roof jump. Oddly pedestrian given some the insane stuff he does.

He also finished the scene.