• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Back in the myspace days and the early days of youtube you would see all kinds of fanmade lyric videos. Sometimes the lyrics were wrong because they were genuinely misheard. Sometimes it was a parody video where the lyrics were purposefully wrong. They could be pretty hilarious but as I got older I realized just how dangerous it could be to watch these videos. I STILL have the wrong lyrics in my head for a ton of songs. I wish I could erase them from my mind sometimes.

I want to share one that was unfortunately of my own doing. It didn't come from a video. I just heard it one time and repeated it enough to have it stick. It is from a Daft Punk song. If you don't want to carry this burden for the rest of your life, do not click on this spoiler...

youtu.be

Daft Punk - Get Lucky (Official Audio) ft. Pharrell Williams, Nile Rodgers

Official video for “Get Lucky” by Daft Punk feat. Pharrell Williams and Nile RodgersHomework: https://daftpunk.lnk.to/Homework Discovery: https://daftpunk.ln...

2:20 if the timestamp doesn't work.

"We're all mexican"

I gifted this curse to my friend and they pointed out that the section where these misheard lyrics can be heard is the only section in the official video where everyone actually moves.

Apr 2, 2021
Give me your heart, make it real, Horace forget about it.

I thought maybe some guy named Horace was trying to get in on Rob Thomas' and Santana's action.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
"And the heart attack will say....thank you for being a friend

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I always love Lady Gaga's Poker Face because most don't realize what the actual chorus is.

[Post-Chorus]
P-p-p-poker face, f-f-fuck her face
(Mum mum mum mah)
P-p-p-poker face, f-f-fuck her face
(Mum mum mum mah)

Kensation

The Enlightened "this guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
"Oh trash, keep you downtown, this is Gary."

"Voices Carry" / Till Tuesday

Oct 30, 2017
Rational Gaze (Meshuggah) is a classic

I like juice
Finish your juice
Filtered vitamin substance

Actual:
Our light-induced image of truth
Filtered blank of its substance

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
That she bought from a rubber man
In a town full of Robert Plants

- Fake Plastic Trees by Radiohead

Kor of Memory

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
First time I heard Kanye was actually on Estelle's song American Boy.

For some reason this British thing transferred over to "GoldDigger"... well the censored (for white people) version anyway.

They changed the lyrics from "She ain't messin' with no Broke N-----" to "She Ain't messin' with no Broke Broke"

for some reason they repeat the word Broke. But my brain took the British connection above and thought the line was "Broke Bloke".

What's funny is I sing this song regularly in my band, and I always sing it as "Broke Bloke" just for my own little in joke.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Genuinely thought "I bless the rains down in Africa" was "I catch the waves down in Africa" for the longest time.
I heard it as 'I guess it rains down in Africa'. I thought it was just some guy who was just completely oblivious to world views and was stunned Africa as a continent gets rain

Also I always here the line by jimi Hendrix as 'excuse while I kiss this guy' instead of kiss the sky. Thought it was some pro lgbt stuff about how kissing whoever should be accepted and casual

Panquequera

Feb 8, 2021
For years my family and I thought the lyrics for "Should I Stay or Should I Go" by The clash said "Mucho frió por los ojos" on the spanish chorus part but is actually "Yo me enfrió o lo soplo" which is a very literal translation of the verse "Should I cool it or should I blow?"

Oct 27, 2017
Slipknot - Eyeless

At the end of the song he repeats (screaming) the lyric -

"Look me in my brand new eye"

A friend said it sounds like-

"Do me in my butt now, Ahhhhhh"

Granted we were teenagers when this song came out in '99 but i still skip the end of the song because i can't hear anything else and it always makes me laugh.

Strax

Oct 28, 2017
White Stripes - My Doorbell

My friend heard

I'm thinking about my dog, Bill. When you gonna bring it, when you gonna bring it.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
A friend of mine thought Highway to the Danger Zone was Highway to the Banga Bong when she was a kid. Whenever I watch Top Gun that's what I think about.

Vapelord

Oct 27, 2017
Montreal
haha I found it like that Laurel or Yanni from a few years ago but I can hear "Were all up night to ge-" or "were all mexican lucky" kinda a mix of both...

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
The weekend - The hills
When he says "drugs start a feeling like decaf"
I hear it as
Drugs start a feeling like deep cock

machine

Oct 25, 2017
There was a whole series of books about misheard lyrics. My favorite is probably "hold me closer Tony Danza"

NaturalHigh

Oct 27, 2017
How do you mishear that part when it literally leads into with it with the same phrase over and over?

guill

Nov 14, 2017
Its not the same, but as a Kid for fun I changed lyrics with stuff that sounds similar.

One I always remember and still makes me laugh is For Whom the Bell Tolls, always changed to QUIEN ES ROBERTO???

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
When I was in high school, my car had a really shit radio. They would play Cult of Personality by Living Color all the time on the local stations. Thanks to the shit speakers, it sounded like it said "Fucked up personality" in the chorus, and even though I knew it couldn't actually be that because it was on the radio, I couldn't hear it as "Cult of" to save my life.