• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
i said there's no genocide which there isn't and if we're going to point to forced sterilization again let's make the same argument about abortion. Let's also ignore the fact that the US has participated in forced sterilization of its citizens as well.

the reason I took offense is because people continue to say the US isn't as bad when it's just as bad and people get defensive af when someone points this out.
Recognizing major flaws in the US is reasonable. Becoming a tankie because of it, however, is not. What you're saying is repugnant.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
Recognizing major flaws in the US is reasonable. Becoming a tankie because of it, however, is not. What you're saying is repugnant.
here we go with the dumbass tankie label. You don't know what you're talking. About and I don't care what you think about what I'm saying.

Again, Amnesty International: https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/n...-xinjiang-amounts-to-crimes-against-humanity/

They aren't an arm of the US government by any means and they aren't alone in calling it out.

Just because the US does shitty stuff doesn't mean these guys aren't doing things that are abhorrent.
1. I never said chinas actions weren't abhorrent. I simply said that it is not genocide which none of the material presented thus far shows.

2. of course I care about things that affect me here at home in the exact same way Muslims in China are being treated which is why it pisses me off when I see people in these threads saying shit like this about China but will never condemn the government that treats me and other minorities in the same ways. Of course I'm going to call that shit out.

This topic is specifically about the heart of these two points.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
There are but they are not treated the same. There are posters in this thread that say that America doesn't disappear people, that America doesn't commit atrocities like this, among other things.

There were people defending the US starving the people of Afghanistan, for instance.

they are not treated the same? Negative American threads generate far more publicity than negative Russian/Chinese/Venezuelan threads.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Warriors organization can't even directly comment on his thoughts either lest putting themselves in the middle of a discussion they have absolutely zero interest in touching.

fucking his own team just because he couldn't give a bog standard diplomatic answer.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
they are not treated the same? Negative American threads generate far more publicity than negative Russian/Chinese/Venezuelan threads.

Publicity doesn't mean they are treated the same. If I were to make a thread that the US government's starving of the people of Afghanistan by sanctions is genocide, I'd wager there would be far more defense of America's actions than the defense of CCP's actions here. We already saw this in the threads about the sanctions. Posters enjoy calling out the imperialist actions of Russia and the CCP, rightfully so, but the same posters don't call out the imperialist actions of the US.

What I mean to say is that people in the threads about the CCP and Russia pretend that America doesn't do many of the same things that these regimes do.

But this is not what the thread is about. It's about a dumb rich capitalist willfully not caring about genocide. Fuck him.

Last edited:

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
UN Geneva Convention definition of Genocide:

Article II

In the present Convention, genocide means any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such:

1. Killing members of the group;
  2. Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group;
  3. Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part;
  4. Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group;
  5. Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group.

-CCP is committing genocide. This is not for debate. To say otherwise is a lie.

Last edited:

Deleted member 48201

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 29, 2018
here we go with the dumbass tankie label. You don't know what you're talking. About and I don't care what you think about what I'm saying.

1. I never said chinas actions weren't abhorrent. I simply said that it is not genocide which none of the material presented thus far shows.

2. of course I care about things that affect me here at home in the exact same way Muslims in China are being treated which is why it pisses me off when I see people in these threads saying shit like this about China but will never condemn the government that treats me and other minorities in the same ways. Of course I'm going to call that shit out.

This topic is specifically about the heart of these two points.

United Nations Office on Genocide Prevention and the Responsibility to Protect

Genocide Prevention and the Responsibility to Protect

In the present Convention, genocide means any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such:

3. Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part;
The CCP does all of that.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018

Article II

-China is committing genocide. This is not for debate. To say otherwise is a lie.

Agreed. Though, I'd caution against using China instead of the CCP.

This would make the poster incorrect about what's happening in China, it is genocide, but correct in calling the treatment of Black people in America by the US government the same as most of those do apply to the treatment of Black people in America.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. Though, I'd caution against using China instead of the CCP.

This would make the poster incorrect about what's happening in China, it is genocide, but correct in calling the treatment of Black people in America by the US government the same as most of those do apply to the treatment of Black people in America.

Updated it.

I just wanted to make sure that everyone knows it IS genocide. And that any other comparisons and/or hypocrisy by other governments do not change that fact.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I think you should speak for yourself. If you don't care and he represents how you feel, say so.
Nope I myself have written and called my state senators here in the U.S. (Ted Cruz and John Cornyn as futile as it is) asking them to support bills that would grant Uyghurs priority refugee status. I've written/called their offices multiple times through the years about these issues. And I'm not saying this to be all "oh look how great I am". I'm saying this because the context of what I meant is that I don't think there are even that many people that are willing to care about this issue enough to even do that. Which is almost nothing in the grand scheme of things. And who knows, maybe it's just me but it depresses me how hard it can be to get people to step up their support past social media posts.

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
I have to pretend that I've not read any "but is it really genocide??" posts in this thread.

If anybody still thought this is just Xinjiang and Uighur's problems(as if thought like this wasn't bad enough), here's an important news that was missed by most western media: CCP recently sent an ex-head of Xinjiang military department to be in charge of Chinese army stationed in Hong Kong. You know what it means.

About the topic itself. Sigh, I'd rather him keep silence about this issue.

Silence isn't ideal, but it is still better than openly declare "I don't care".

Firstly because shouting "I don't care" normalize the absence of empathy. It frustrates those who want their voices heard and those who want to take actions. You don't care, FINE, but as a famous people, at least don't courage other people to do the same. Too many people saying "it is what it is, what can you do" is the sign of defeat. Imaging Uighur activists and "education camp" surviver escaped China, only for them to encounter a sea full of voice like "I don't care".

Secondly, keeping silence at least would make China government guessing. The propaganda department need to put some work to fabricated their narrative. Openly declaring "I don't care" is providing the fuel and doing the dirty work for them.

In a country that even openly talking about this topic above is impossible, we have a little motto to prevent us from losing hope: To keep silence is the smallest form of protest.

Deleted member 69501

User requested account closure
Banned
May 16, 2020
What did he say that tells you he's dumb? I'd say he either ruthless or extremely cynical and willing to say what needs to be said to get ahead. Both of which are often rewarded.
I'd say it's dumb....given the state of the NBA saying stuff like this out loud could get you kicked out of the ownership group. Granted, the nba probably doesn't want to lose their China money so probably won't do anything but Imo you shouldn't test it.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Are there really people in this thread trying to handwave what the CCP is doing or otherwise trying to pull the "well America is doing it too what are you personally doing about it?" crap?

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I'd say it's dumb....given the state of the NBA saying stuff like this out loud could get you kicked out of the ownership group. Granted, the nba probably doesn't want to lose their China money so probably won't do anything but Imo you shouldn't test it.

Yeah, I don't know what you mean by "given the state of the NBA," the organization has proven repeatedly they don't give a shit.

aznpxdd

Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't you argue that the reason companies and corporations don't have to give a shit is because most people don't actually care?

That's how I see it. Peeps just want their shit cheap. We're literally on a gaming forum with a sticky that says game consoles are linked to Uyghurs slave labor, and I doubt most people on here even cares.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
The NBA has kicked ppl out of ownership groups for saying and doing "relatively" minor things in public and private. Look it up.

I googled "kicked out of NBA ownership group" and all of the results are about Donald Sterling.

Not sure what other examples there are but it seems like they've made their stance on China pretty clear.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I googled "kicked out of NBA ownership group" and all of the results are about Donald Sterling.

Not sure what other examples there are but it seems like they've made their stance on China pretty clear.

I believe the Warriors removed someone from their ownership group because he put his hands on a player during a televised NBA Finals game, but I'm not sure the "NBA" is really in the business of doing stuff like that other than in absolutely extreme examples like Sterling. Whether the Warriors have to take action on this depends entirely on how much traction this story gets, and it doesn't seem like its getting a lot, at least not in a way that will pressure the league/team.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

There was also this clown:
sports.yahoo.com

Hawks' owner Levenson to sell interest in team

Less than one month after the Clippers' sale ended Donald Sterling's ugly downfall, another NBA team is on the market following a racially charged disclosure from its owner. Atlanta Hawks co-owner Bruce Levenson said Sunday he is selling his controlling interest in the team, thanks in part to...

With that said, since Lebron (the NBA's most famous player since Jordan) is A-OK with the CCP I don't think it's at all likely that the NBA punishes this genocide denier.

Presice

Mar 1, 2018
If the NBA hasn't changed it's relationship with China over the situation with the Uyghurs, then the NBA doesn't really care about the issue. He's speaking what the NBA's actions are already doing, no? Why use him as a scapegoat? He's just saying what the rest of the NBA is thinking.

OP
OP
Coyote Starrk

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
There was also this clown:
sports.yahoo.com

Hawks' owner Levenson to sell interest in team

Less than one month after the Clippers' sale ended Donald Sterling's ugly downfall, another NBA team is on the market following a racially charged disclosure from its owner. Atlanta Hawks co-owner Bruce Levenson said Sunday he is selling his controlling interest in the team, thanks in part to...

With that said, since Lebron (the NBA's most famous player since Jordan) is A-OK with the CCP I don't think it's at all likely that the NBA punishes this genocide denier.
Holy fucking shit. I never saw this somehow. He straight up said that Black fans were scaring away white fans????

How the hell?

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holy fucking shit. I never saw this somehow. He straight up said that Black fans were scaring away white fans????

How the hell?
Yeah, I vaguely remembered that there was something with the Hawks but didn't remember the details until looking it up. It was much less of a story than Sterling because I think he realized his position was untenable and didn't fight it like Sterling tried to.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
He must be getting ready to cash out his Pooh coins. I am sure this has nothing to do with basketball being the most popular sport in China and the team owners wanting a piece of the pie.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
There's 100% chance of genocide and forced farming going on in Xianjiang China(And the bad "image" also effect Han Chinese from Xianjaing), and also China are "arresting" fugitive worldwide with their program of Skyfox and Skynet, which also include activist an

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Point your finger at rich people. They have god money and want you to die so their bank amount gets larger

it's rich people fueling tension and hate and profiting

it's rich people who turn their head

it's rich people who set up social media to be a weapon. All this division leads to profits.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't know Chamath was a minority owner of the Warriors. He's a douche billionaire venture capitalist SPAC guy, known for hot takes. He was the billionaire behind the recall Gavin Newsom vote, got the whole thing kicked off and then ducked out when he realized it was going to hurt his image and he wasn't serious. He has a lot of critical takes of silicon valley, and is an outspoken advocate for several progressive issues (especially housing in silicon valley) and so people promote his shit, but he's still a douche who is just a billionaire hot take artist.

Last edited:

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't know Chamath was a minority owner of the Warriors. He's a douche billionaire venture capitalist SPAC guy, known for hot takes. He was the billionaire behind the recall Gavin Newsom vote, got the whole thing kicked off and then ducked out when he realized it was going to hurt his image and he wasn't serious. He has a lot of critical takes of silicon valley and so people promote his shit, but he's still a douche.
He funded the Gavin Newson thing? wow. Dude did tons of damage to California. Not only was it wasteful, but it neutered a sitting Governor. California's whole system is a mess.

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
Chamath gave off major douche vibes last year. He's just a western tech bro like Elon and many others that are just the worst.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
This guy, just like every other mega rich person, only cares about money and power. He isn't going to give away the golden goose that is the Chinese market to do/say the right thing. That goes against his nature of sociopathy.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
He funded the Gavin Newson thing? wow. Dude did tons of damage to California. Not only was it wasteful, but it neutered a sitting Governor. California's whole system is a mess.

Yeah, in 2020 he railed against Newsom's pandemic policies, was an early funder in the recall effort, then said he was going to run for governor against Newsom, but when the rubber hit the road and he got a lot of shit for it, he backed off and slinked away from it.

Oct 26, 2017

Article II

-CCP is committing genocide. This is not for debate. To say otherwise is a lie.
And if we were to give that user the benefit of the doubt, it's still a clear case of ethnic cleansing.

Which isn't that much better.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I'd have hoped we'd have weeded out the genocide deniers by now but apparently not. Appalling behaviour.