QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Trying to explain to people that Wifi is terrible for fighting games is the video game equivalent of trying to convince a flat earther the earth isn't flat. Endless excuses and "but but I swear" crap. Shit is a waste of time just give me the option to ignore people on Wifi in match making and let me go on with my day.

OP
OP
Kaguya

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Because I'm taking the internet? Why;d you ask?
Dude, no, that's not how it works, someone watching youtube will be "hogging more internet to themselves" than you would ever do playing online, and no wifi/wired isn't even a factor, your connection to the router being better than other users doesn't mean they get ignored, their experience is unaffected by what type of connection you're using!

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Dumb question but, houses as a standard all have built-in phone jacks in a lot of rooms, why is built-in ethernet jacks not a standard? Not even modern houses?

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
People recommending $350 mesh routers, wtf.

If you're a power user who understands networking, this message isn't meant for you, christ.

For the mass majority, recommending them a $10 long ass ethernet cord is the easiest to explain and implement, as well as not heavy on the bank account.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Why does everyone say to get powerline if you can't run a cable?
Because they're cheap and usually better than wifi in some situations. The problem is that you are literally running networking over electrical lines that introduce their own interference. It's at least interference that is regular, but it is still interference nonetheless.
While it might not work for some people, I think powerline adaptors are a super good option for many. I've been able to use my powerline adaptors at the last 6 properties I've been renting in the UK.

Powerline adaptors do seem to add a little latency though, so I avoid using them for any game I take seriously.
They do add latency because they're negotiating with each other. They're like a weird vlan of sorts that has to negotiate which one is getting the data, since they can be strung together as a network with one "in" from the router/modem and the rest "out" to the rooms they are in.
Yeah, it's kinda true. That's just typical mike Z ness though overly dumbing things down.

WRT everyone saying buy a better router: lol and also fuck you, buy ethernet

3RDkSjQ.png
Nobody needs that kind of router. they're all garbage oversold with buzzwords. You can get one for less than half that and usually stick WRT of some type on them and get more performance and options. The real problem, IMO, is using these all-in-one units where you have the WAP and router (the actual router) being handled by the same boards.
It doesn't matter what test he would have done. Every time this subject is brought up you get the same chorus of people talking about how thier wifi is so great or they saw improvement going from wired to wireless in some niche situation or whatever. People literally refuse to learn.
That's because there are edge cases where it's fine. As long as the hardware being used isn't bargain bin garbage or ancient and the network is setup properly whether it being using QOS to mitigate bufferbloat on a crappy modem (thanks ISPs) or having wifi channels spread out just right to avoid interference or making sure the fittings to your model are good, proper networking is the biggest part of people's crappy connections.
Lol, no. People need to understand what suits their environment, budget, local EMS, devices required to be connected... and THEN set their network up accordingly.

I ran this ping test to google's DNS (from Australia) on my home wifi.
My PC is 27m (88.5 ft) from my router behind four walls, and going through two repeaters.
Couldn't be more stable.

Am I just lucky?

Of course not, I looked at my use case and decided whether to:
  • use ethernet-over-power - not cheap but I have them from a previous house. Works but often needs resetting or the speed diminishes over time
  • run a 40m length of CAT through the roof and permanently install - I'm in a rental so not an option, also limits me to one location.
  • use a regular single point wifi router, either the one in my modem or the several aftermarket ones I have - I knew the distances involved in my house from my modem to my PC would strain a conventional wifi signal
  • invest in a quality mesh network wifi setup - I took this route and it honestly has so many more advantages for my use case (compared to wired) that I wouldn't bother with a wired setup now even if someone offered to set it up for free. It was also probably cheaper than running wired, given I'm renting, and portable so I can take it to the next place I live.
I rarely if ever suffer wifi induced packet loss, period.

For those wondering, this is what I use - it's amazing:
amplifi.com

AmpliFi | Faster, Whole-Home Wi-Fi

Not Just a Wi-Fi Router, It’s a Mesh Wi-Fi System.

afi-hd-new_1024x1024.png

Yes, they also have a Gamer's Edition:
amplifi.com

AmpliFi | Faster, Whole-Home Wi-Fi

Not Just a Wi-Fi Router, It’s a Mesh Wi-Fi System.

AFi-G_Main_4_1024x1024.png

People get it, the poor dev in the youtube video doesn't. He is being much too absolute:
  • Wi-fi Sucks for Gaming!
  • Wi-fi can ALWAYS experience random packet delays.
  • The Wi-fi caused that packet to arrive late.
He then goes on to not prove, or even convincingly demonstrate any of those things.

For starters, his 'experiment' is so cobbled together and inconclusive it's almost laughable.

He compared his results wired, to some other guy on wifi (?? who knows where this guy is, what his setup is, what else might be causing packet loss). I mean... WTF.

At least test your OWN setup on wired and wifi, and have the other guy test his on wired and wifi. That would still be the worlds shittiest sample size of n=2, but at least it wouldn't be this completely non-corroboratory bullshit.
Ooooh a fellow Unifi user! I'm not using an Amplifi setup because it doesn't suit my needs, but I'm using an ERX with Unifi AP-LR for the wifi.
Dumb question but, houses as a standard all have built-in phone jacks in a lot of rooms, why is built-in ethernet jacks not a standard? Not even modern houses?
It's not standard because even phone lines aren't standard, these days. I have to ask if I wanted to have more than the requisite one put into my house when I built it in 2013. To get them to run Ethernet to the rooms, just the lines, they wanted me to shell out like $1800 or something for their networking package which included the router and switches and running up to 4 ethernet lines, I told them to stuff it, but I wish I hadn't because I'd have rather just soaked that cost into the house and stashed their shitty networking equipment in a closet for reselling the house later than to not have ethernet available to me until I got these MoCA adapters I have, now.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
For the mass majority, recommending them a $10 long ass ethernet cord is the easiest to explain and implement, as well as not heavy on the bank account.
Sorry 10 dollars is too expensive, I shouldnt spend 10 dollars to have a better experience when there are a bunch of 50$ plus games I need to buy instead while having a horrible experience for me and others. Stop trying to dictate my life.

Shit brb need to buy this cool skin for 20 bucks gotta look cool while teleporting around on my sweet 4k tv.

Last edited:

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry 10 dollars is too expensive, I shouldnt spend 10 dollars to have a better experience when there are a bunch of 50$ plus games I need to buy instead while having a horrible experience for me and others. Stop trying to dictate my life.

Shit brb need to buy this cool skin for 20 bucks gotta look cool while teleporting around on my sweet 4k tv.

Didn't most Americans get $1,200? I don't think it's asking too much to spare some of it for an Ethernet cable if you're going to spend quarantine playing online.

Moral Panic

Oct 28, 2017
Seems silly. Packets can drop any time for any reason between servers even if you are using a wired connection within your home. My Wifi stats using the ping test didn't show any massive spikes in variance, but in any case it seems silly to design a system that doesn't deal with the reality of internet networking. Packets can be lost, delayed or come out of order and you have to deal with that. The video makes it seem like GGPO doesn't deal with that in a proper way, which seems like a shame. I will continue tp use Wifi to play games.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Seems silly. Packets can drop any time for any reason between servers even if you are using a wired connection within your home. My Wifi stats using the ping test didn't show any massive spikes in variance, but in any case it seems silly to design a system that doesn't deal with the reality of internet networking. Packets can be lost, delayed or come out of order and you have to deal with that. The video makes it seem like GGPO doesn't deal with that in a proper way, which seems like a shame. I will continue tp use Wifi to play games.
thanks for not giving a shit, i guess

Gutsfree

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
New Kombat League started today on Mk11...so many wifi players with pings jumping up to 500 on and off...please just stay away from fighting games. Play wireless splatoon and cod and w/e.

OP
OP
Kaguya

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
This thread is a perfect example why "wifi filter" option should be mandatory going forward.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
This is why the option to decline a match with a wifi player is important. I'm wired, you're on Wi-Fi; if YOU lag, especially in roll back netcode, I WILL be the one who has to deal with it. If we're both on a solid connection, neither of us deal with it, if were both on potentially inconsistent connections, we both deal with it. Its fine if you're okay with that, but I should have the option to filter you out, just like I would do by region, ping, etc. I believe MK11 has this option, thankfully.

Moral Panic

Oct 28, 2017
This is why the option to decline a match with a wifi player is important. I'm wired, you're on Wi-Fi; if YOU lag, especially in roll back netcode, I WILL be the one who has to deal with it. If we're both on a solid connection, neither of us deal with it, if were both on potentially inconsistent connections, we both deal with it. Its fine if you're okay with that, but I should have the option to filter you out, just like I would do by region, ping, etc. I believe MK11 has this option, thankfully.

Exactly. The internet is by definition a potentially inconsistent connection. So there is agreement there if two people are playing over the internet then they just have to deal with latency issues.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Exactly. The internet is by definition a potentially inconsistent connection. So there is agreement there if two people are playing over the internet then they just have to deal with latency issues.

Weird take away from that; there's ways to mitigate it. If the other player is not on a connection that I'm happy with playing with (Wi-Fi, or any other situation, like streaming concurrently or something,) then I'd rather just decline playing with them and move on. Interpersonal relationships would be hell in general without the concepts of declining and rejection, because not everyone is compatible with one another, and you can't force someone to adapt, as demonstrated in this thread

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
So there is agreement there if two people are playing over the internet then they just have to deal with latency issues.

Wired is in general many, many times more reliable and most laggy players will be on wi-fi which is why being able to choose whether or not you want to risk that is important. Giving players the option to not play against wireless connections should be standard for fighting games.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I'm wired, I have ethernet outlets throughout my house, but I also understand most people don't. I'm privileged. The whole reason WiFi exists is because it's simply more accessible.

This is going to continue to be a problem probably until WiFi (or other wireless forms of internet) gets better.

Oct 25, 2017
We don't all live next in a basement next to our parents modem, but if 4 ft of ethernet cable is working for you I'm not going to get sad.

However, at any time now you can stop lecturing people to get wired. As I've discussed previously in this thread, not all routers are created equal. Forget your $499 gaming router and get a $340 mesh network - life changing!
LOL I haven't lived with my parents in a decade, and even when I did then my dad and I added a ethernet wall socket to the house with a drill, 10 dollars and like half an afternoon of work. It's amusing to me that even now, a decade later to get performance not equal to, but scraping the bottom half of 10 dollars of ethernet you still need to buy a $340 mesh network 😂

I love the implication that if I think 10$ of ethernet is a better use of money for the purpose of gaming than a $340 wifi mesh network I must be a basement dweller sitting next to my modem.

JesseDeya

Oct 27, 2017
LOL I haven't lived with my parents in a decade, and even when I did then my dad and I added a ethernet wall socket to the house with a drill, 10 dollars and like half an afternoon of work. It's amusing to me that even now, a decade later to get performance not equal to, but scraping the bottom half of 10 dollars of ethernet you still need to buy a $340 mesh network 😂

How many devices can you connect to your $10 cable?

I have 22 devices on my network spread over 180m2 (1900sqft), five of them are used for gaming (1x pc, 3x console, 1x tablet). I can control and prioritise each of them easily from a smart app, control access times, nominate per device (or group) profiles gaming etc. For most people they don't need the 'mesh' part of the network, they just need a decent router.

I love the implication that if I think 10$ of ethernet is a better use of money for the purpose of gaming than a $340 wifi mesh network I must be a basement dweller sitting next to my modem.

The implication is that you are exaggerating your point (so I did the same), you are disregarding people who use wifi for gaming as idiots. A $10 piece of ethernet cable (25 ft worth?) isn't going to magically solve everyone's problem, and in many cases it's not practical or possible. If you can easily hard wire your gaming devices then it may make sense to do that, but that doesn't mean you need to, nor does it imply wifi is automatically going to give you a worse experience.

To suggest wifi will always be worse - as this developer's youtube video states categorically - is hyperbolic fallacy.

Oct 25, 2017

I have 22 devices on my network spread over 180m2 (1900sqft), five of them are used for gaming (1x pc, 3x console, 1x tablet).
Let me stop you right there.

You can solve your complex home gaming network set up with

1. one long 10 dollar piece of ethernet,
  2. plugged into a 20-50 dollar ethernet switch, hidden in your tv cabinet,
  3. and 4 shorter probably 5 dollar ethernets to your PC and consoles.
  4. The Tablet- who cares? No one does real gaming on a tablet.
  5. Everything else can go on the wifi. It doesn't matter.

60 bucks is still very far ahead of just one of the parts of your mesh set up.

And not just ahead in price, ahead of the mesh network in cost and performance. Your consoles don't move so they don't need wifi,

You're in denial, but wifi is garbage for gaming. Source: me. the one night I played on WIFI by accident in sfv was the worst night i have ever had online. And not just fighting games either. Try dealing with packet loss in an FPS or DOTA. It's still fucking shit.

Don't worry about my consulting fee.

Last edited:

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Lots to read but I have a cat7 100ft cable ordered, will that work from the bedroom to living room without fuss?

I get pretty good speeds wireless but there are little inconsistencies in wifi.

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Got a 100ft Ethernet cable and a bunch of wall clips for like 30$ on Amazon. Running the cable from the router upstairs along the ceiling and walls through 2 doorways into my basement.
No excuses!
Edit: oh yeah, also have a switch so my PC and consoles are all on it.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

I have 22 devices on my network spread over 180m2 (1900sqft), five of them are used for gaming (1x pc, 3x console, 1x tablet). I can control and prioritise each of them easily from a smart app, control access times, nominate per device (or group) profiles gaming etc. For most people they don't need the 'mesh' part of the network, they just need a decent router.

The implication is that you are exaggerating your point (so I did the same), you are disregarding people who use wifi for gaming as idiots. A $10 piece of ethernet cable (25 ft worth?) isn't going to magically solve everyone's problem, and in many cases it's not practical or possible. If you can easily hard wire your gaming devices then it may make sense to do that, but that doesn't mean you need to, nor does it imply wifi is automatically going to give you a worse experience.

To suggest wifi will always be worse - as this developer's youtube video states categorically - is hyperbolic fallacy.
Didn't realize Wifi had stans out there, opening my eyes today.

I somehow manage to have my PC and 2x consoles connected to the same ethernet, and I could have a few more, how?

Buy an ethernet switch.

Wifi is ALWAYS going to be inferior to wired. To say otherwise is rejecting reality.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
People gonna wifi. Put a wifi icon next to their names so anyone who cares can ignore them and call it a day.

Hyperfludd

Oct 27, 2017
Wow this thread expanded huh? Are people really saying Wifi is better than wired? I imagine most people have to know it's not right? If you're going to play a game that's super dependent on a connection like a fighting game, you are 100% going to be better wired than wireless. That being said, if a person can't mess with their walling or can't have ropes of cable lying around, don't harass them either - c'mon lol. And especially don't stress it on people playing games where it doesn't matter all that much like Animal Crossing or games of that ilk.

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
Too many Wifi players here thinking that since they don't see any issues, then Wifi is fine. The problem with Wifi isn't for the person using it, but for their opponent, especially in a 1v1 genre like fighters.

It's not always about you.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
there's always a trade off with wifi. The size of the band determines the amount of data that can be sent, but it's inversely proportional to signal degradation. 60 ghz wifi is good enough for me to notice no latency with a virtual reality headset, by far the most latent-sensitive type of gaming equipment, for example, but it comes with a requirement of line of sight. Myself, personally, I just ran extremely long lan cables across my baseboards and covered them up. I much, much prefer being hardwired when at all possible.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
If you're playing a twitch fighting game seriously, of course wired connections are objectively superior. But if your in a shooter with a bunch of friends, then wi-fi perfectly fine. It really depends on the type of game you're playing and how seriously you play it. Not everyone's a competitive junkie, so those people have no need for an wired connection, while if you're a professional player practicing, Ethernet's really your only option.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
I can wreck shop getting 15-16ms ping in CSGO and Valorant while on WiFi.

not all WiFi is created equal of course

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
I'd pay for a ethernet expert to install one for me between two rooms so maybe drill a very tiny hole between the wall to get ethernet through, connecting router from other room to my room ethernet

captainpat

Nov 15, 2017
I would love to game wired. But my mom had some dudes setup her entertainment system and wifi. Getting a connection through a powerline adapter is damn near impossible now

Eriol

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Santiago, Chile
a lot of armchair network engineers here it seems
ofcourse wired is better than wifi , but sometimes you dont have other scenario to do it.
And also wtf whith that nonsense locking down wifi players? gatekeeping
if the game test the connection is good, should be ok, doesnt matter if the client is wifi or wired.

JesseDeya

Oct 27, 2017
I use VR a lot and it's almost comical how everyone in those communities is all about getting rid of cables and going wireless, getting rid of base stations and going to inside-out tracking, yet here there are dyed-in-the-wool advocates of defending the wire so hard they can't even accept their may be competitive alternatives.

Good, reliable wifi is moderately more expensive than an equivalent hardwired network solution - but it does exist, it's convenient, and it's liberating. Just like wireless VR.

To pretend it can't exist is to literally deny science.

Let me stop you right there.

You can solve your complex home gaming network set up with

1. one long 10 dollar piece of ethernet,
  2. plugged into a 20-50 dollar ethernet switch, hidden in your tv cabinet,
  3. and 4 shorter probably 5 dollar ethernets to your PC and consoles.
  4. The Tablet- who cares? No one does real gaming on a tablet.
  5. Everything else can go on the wifi. It doesn't matter.

60 bucks is still very far ahead of just one of the parts of your mesh set up.

And not just ahead in price, ahead of the mesh network in cost and performance. Your consoles don't move so they don't need wifi,

You're in denial, but wifi is garbage for gaming. Source: me. the one night I played on WIFI by accident in sfv was the worst night i have ever had online. And not just fighting games either. Try dealing with packet loss in an FPS or DOTA. It's still fucking shit.

Don't worry about my consulting fee.

Damn consultants, they never listen the client.

I asked you to find me the best network solution for my use case, not to be my accountant. Having said that, you make an interesting point about wired networking not just being ahead in price, but also in cost. This is incredible if true, please tell me more.

Seriously though, saving a few hundred bucks is useless to me if I have cables running literally all over my house, or I have a "solution" that I can't just pick up and easily move house when I do, which is every three years. I'm a gamer, I spend stupid amounts of money on RGB alone, buying a decent mesh network was probably the most fiscally responsible thing I've done in a long time.

I've used hardwired networks at home before (the first house I bought had ports in every room), I've tried ethernet-over-power, I've suffered through crappy wifi routers just like the rest of us. I'm old enough to have been heavily involved in the birth of lan parties.... and see their demise. I'm not saying wired isn't good, but it can be a massive PITA when you're dealing with multiple dislocated devices, long runs and/or infrastructure that you aren't free to modify or damage.

Speaking of damage, don't even get me started on how many times I've seen a faulty ethernet cable drive people nutty trying to fault find network issues or packet loss.

A router such as the one I'm using is incredibly resilient and for the end user practically indistinguishable from a wired connection. I'm not exaggerating when I say it never EVER needs rebooting (unlike every other wifi router I've ever owned). I'm currently at 26 days uptime since the last firmware update and it's as rock solid and fast as day 1. When expanded to a mesh network it provides incredible coverage with a seamless multi node network that hands off devices to the strongest node in a completely invisible way to the device and the user.

Wireless is the future, you Luddites will catch on eventually. :)

Got a 100ft Ethernet cable and a bunch of wall clips for like 30$ on Amazon. Running the cable from the router upstairs along the ceiling and walls through 2 doorways into my basement.
No excuses!
Edit: oh yeah, also have a switch so my PC and consoles are all on it.

I'll bet that looks awesome!!

Please send pictures of your DIY job so I can convince my wife to have an 60ft ethernet cable running across our the ceiling of our entire house. Would you recommend red, green or classic smurf blue? Perhaps I can call it a feature piece? Oh, and my landlord will probably love the 54 nails I drive into the ceiling cornice, so better send me a pic for him too.

Didn't realize Wifi had stans out there, opening my eyes today.

I somehow manage to have my PC and 2x consoles connected to the same ethernet, and I could have a few more, how?

Buy an ethernet switch.

Wifi is ALWAYS going to be inferior to wired. To say otherwise is rejecting reality.

I'm the stan? LOL.

2pu18l.jpg

Murdy Plops

Banned
Dec 21, 2018
Real talk, all you people who think Wifi is fine for gaming, try this.

Open up a command prompt or Terminal window and type in: ping 8.8.8.8 -n 20.

Do it a few times. How many returns are you seeing that are over 100ms? Even if you have good equipment, it'll still be a lot (I have a very good router near by to where I'm currently sitting on this laptop and I'm still getting quite a few).

Each one of those spikes makes gaming intolerable. And no one is saying that you're doing it on purpose or that people who game over wifi are being malicious, but we are saying that this unfortunate truth leads to most interactions with people playing over wifi being absolutely terrible.

You should always try to make the effort to wire up your gaming hardware.

Is this good?

C:\>ping 8.8.8.8 -n 20.

Pinging 8.8.8.8 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=37ms TTL=54
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=54
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=54
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=54
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=54
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=54
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=54
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=33ms TTL=54
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=54
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=30ms TTL=54
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=54
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=54
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=54
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=54
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=54

Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:
Packets: Sent = 20, Received = 20, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 21ms, Maximum = 37ms, Average = 25ms

Virgin Media connection over Google Wifi

Kattlauv

Oct 28, 2017
Manila
Real talk, all you people who think Wifi is fine for gaming, try this.

Open up a command prompt or Terminal window and type in: ping 8.8.8.8 -n 20.

Do it a few times. How many returns are you seeing that are over 100ms? Even if you have good equipment, it'll still be a lot (I have a very good router near by to where I'm currently sitting on this laptop and I'm still getting quite a few).

Each one of those spikes makes gaming intolerable. And no one is saying that you're doing it on purpose or that people who game over wifi are being malicious, but we are saying that this unfortunate truth leads to most interactions with people playing over wifi being absolutely terrible.

You should always try to make the effort to wire up your gaming hardware.

Hmmm, 40-41ms on wired, 41-47ms on wifi. Shit router though.

Average 41 and 43.