• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

(Click for general game info.)

🖥️ System requirements:
meshadowofmordorsysredoac8.jpg

🧰 Latest drivers: (as at 24/02/2022)
AMD: 22.2.2
Nvidia: 511.79

📊 Benchmarks:
ComputerBase (German; launch build)
GameGPU (Russian; launch build)
Guru3D (English; launch build)
PC Games Hardware (German; launch build)
Tech PowerUp (English; launch build)

🎩 Tips and tricks:
Cap the frame rate/potentially improve frame times: Download RivaTuner Statistics Server (if you use MSI Afterburner, then you already have it installed), input your desired framerate limit in the "Framerate limit" box, and hit Enter . Alternatively, those with an Nvidia GPU can either cap the frame rate at the driver level via the Nvidia Control Panel (requires the 441.87+ drivers) or use Nvidia Inspector to force a vsync internal lower than one-half (click the small tool icon to open the game profile section).
Note: Useful if your system can't maintain, say, 60fps and you're sensitive to the wild fluctuations, or you're experiencing uneven frame times. The greater window the engine has to render a given frame, if you're imposing a lower frame rate than the game can otherwise provide, may also help in alleviating stuttering related to data streaming.
Fix RTSS OSD not displaying: Update RTSS to v7.0.0 Beta 30 or higher. See "Cap the framerate ..." above for a link to the latest version. (Credit to Unwinder @ Guru3D via dr_rus @ NeoGAF.)
Enable HDR: Enable HDR within Windows' display settings. (Credit to Feenixx7 @ Steam Community via Duchess O'Death @ NeoGAF.) Confirmation that the game is running in HDR mode can be found in Options -> Display -> Game Brightness. (Credit to FlibbertiGibbet @ NeoGAF.)
Move the game to the correct display: Switched to windowed mode, move the game to your desired screen and change back to your preferred display mode. (Credit to Sumcha @ WB Games Community via telasoman @ NeoGAF.)
Skip intro videos: Replace the files in SteamApps\common\ShadowOfWar\game\interface\videos\legal with these zero-byte versions.
Fix poor performance on Ryzen-based systems running Windows 10: Either wait for the Fall Creators Update or install it today by opting into the Windows Insider Program. (Credit to Froz3n @ NeoGAF.)
Adjust the field of view: Download the aptly-named ME:SoW FOV Changer. (Credit to anteronoid and Seikur0 @ WSGF via b0uncyfr0 @ NeoGAF.)
Fix the High Resolution Texture Pack and 4K Cinematic Pack downloads not initialising: Click here to install the former and here to install the latter. The installation window that appears can be dismissed as it's superfluous and non-functional.

icon_warning.png
When posting your own tip/trick or something else you'd like to see here in the OP, be sure to tag my username (@GrrImAFridge), as this way I'll receive a notification. I may miss your suggestion otherwise.

⚙️ Graphics settings:

Display mode: Fullscreen; Windowed; Borderless; Maximized
Scaled resolution: 0.25x; 0.28x; 0.36x; 0.44x; 0.51x; 0.69x; 1.00x; 1.14x; 1.44x; 1.78x; 2.25x; 2.78x; 3.36x; 4.00x; 4.55x; 5.44x; 7.11x; 9.00x; 11.11x; 13.44x; 16.00x; 18.20x; 64.00x; 72.82x;
Display adapter: Self-explanatory
Game brightness: Self-explanatory
Display area setting: Self-explanatory
Vertical sync: Off; Full; Half
Dynamic resolution (target framerate): Off; 30fps; 36fps; 40fps; 45fps; 48fps; 54fps; 60fps; 72fps; 80fps; 90fps; 96fps; 108fps; 120fps; 144fps; 160fps; 180fps; 240fps
Max FPS: No limit; 30fps; 36fps; 40fps; 45fps; 48fps; 54fps; 60fps; 72fps; 80fps; 90fps; 96fps; 108fps; 120fps; 144fps; 160fps; 180fps; 240fps

Auto config: Self-explanatory
Graphical quality (preset): Custom; Lowest; Low; Medium; High; Very High; Ultra
Lighting quality: Low; Medium; High; Ultra
Mesh quality: Low; Medium; High; Ultra
Motion blur: Off/On
Anti-aliasing: Off; FXAA only; TAA
Shadow quality: Low; Medium; High; Ultra
Texture filtering: Low; Medium; High; Ultra
Texture quality: Low; Medium; High; Ultra

Ambient occlusion: Off; Low; Medium; High
Vegetation range: Low; Medium; High; Ultra
Depth of field: Off/On
Tessellation: Off/On
Large page mode: Off/On
Benchmark: Self-explanatory

Last edited:

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
It looks like Nvidia's 388.13 drivers have reintroduced the Kepler instability issue that was fixed in 388.10, as I just discovered while playing Shadow of War.

Great. :(

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
Wow, so many posts in here. Just picked this game up during the sale, and I am pretty impressed with it's perfomance. I'm running everthing on Ultra except Textures on High. 6700k and 980ti SLI. Steady 90-110 fps depending on the scene. And this is one of the few games that I can run TAA and SLI together and still get full utilization and no stutter, it is a pretty awesome and smooth engine they have here. The Ultra Textures actually do require a full 8GB of VRAM, I tried with my 6GB, the game just straight up crashes to desktop with an out of memory error. I think this may be the record for biggest game install. I have an even 149GB with all the DLC, 4k movies and 4k textures. Surpasses FFXV just barely, that one is a whopping 148.3 GB install.

Lockjaw333

Oct 28, 2017
Just downloaded the demo for this, and the performance seems pretty wonky.

I'm on a 7700K and a GTX 1070, 16GB ddr4, SSD

At 1440p I can't seem to get a solid 60fps even regardless of settings. I'm on a gsync monitor, so playing at 45-60 fps isn't that awful, but it still seems like there is little change in fps when altering settings. I've tried reducing veg distance, shadows, textures, etc and have seen little to no change in fps.

On top of that, the game overall just looks pretty crappy. I'm not seeing graphics that justify the performance really.

It does seem fun though. Did we figure out any big hitter settings that can be turned down for minimal visual hit and a gain in fps?

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Very nice OT! I'm thinking of buying the game for some mindless fun. But I need some eye candy as well. Didn't know there was a demo, will download it!