Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Really gross for a company to describe abusing other people as "acceptable" or saying deplorable things that puts them as the lowest shred of humanity as "going too far" as if the impulse to insult another player was fine to a point.
It doesn't encourage "healthy competition", it encourages people to stop playing because they don't want to be singled out and insulted for playing a game. Only a child would respond to a verbal assault with "I'll show you next game", most adults would walk away feeling unhappy with the game they played.
To be fair, they finally accept gamers can be huge assholes, they are just trying to lower the damage in the playing field hoping to create a somewhat healthier environment, i feel pity for those employees there is only so much they can do with human beings

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
"Good afternoon sir, I think your aiming during this game was abysmal, I suggest to you to learn how to move the stick to aim on story mode or on practice mode, then come back and try again."

Is this acceptable?

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, if somebody kept spamming those "potato aim" or "get better" shit I'd still hit the report button, regardless of what Microsoft decides to do about it ultimately. Fuck toxic people in online gaming and fuck trashtalk, when I play Rocket League (for example) if I'm angry I just don't type anything, normally though I even congratulate the opponent for a good goal or a nice save. The idea of "acceptable trash talk" doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
I'm glad i just stick with single player games nowadays, im tired of the online multiplayer toxicity.

tanky

Banned
Apr 2, 2019
Did some of you grow up in a bubble, void of competition or banter? Such milquetoast personalities. It's ironic when people pull the adult card in argument of trash talk yet fail to acknowledge that it's pretty childish to get riled up at the prospect of someone saying "that sucked" or "get destroyed." Throwing the term "toxicity" around liberally, especially in this harmless context, is both silly and waters down the validity of its application as well. Just because you don't like or agree with something doesn't automatically make that thing toxic. It's also hyperbolic to frame those forms of trash talk deemed acceptable as abuse. Again, you're only making light of actual abuse in the hyperbolic use of this word to describe "cheap win." I think that it'd do people some good to be a little less fickle. 🤷‍♂️

I have to commend Microsoft for going to the length of outlining what is and isn't acceptable under their terms of service. How anyone can criticize a company being transparent opposed to enforcing a vague set of rules at their whim is beyond me. More platforms should follow suit. I also think that putting these mild forms of trash talk front and center will help to combat actually unacceptable trash talk since it sets an example of where the line is. Ultimately, I'd much rather someone told me I have potato aim instead of calling me a racial slur.

Jun 17, 2018
I don't mind some trash talk as long as it's kept clean and isn't abusive. It's when you get people screaming down the microphone with all kinds of garbage and intentional team killing that piss me off more than anything.

Kenstar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Imagine trash talking because you/the team you lucked out on getting were temporarily better than some nobody on the internet

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Did some of you grow up in a bubble, void of competition or banter? Such milquetoast personalities. It's ironic when people pull the adult card in argument of trash talk yet fail to acknowledge that it's pretty childish to get riled up at the prospect of someone saying "that sucked" or "get destroyed." Throwing the term "toxicity" around liberally, especially in this harmless context, is both silly and waters down the validity of its application as well. Just because you don't like or agree with something doesn't automatically make that thing toxic. It's also hyperbolic to frame those forms of trash talk deemed acceptable as abuse. Again, you're only making light of actual abuse in the hyperbolic use of this word to describe "cheap win." I think that it'd do people some good to be a little less fickle. 🤷‍♂️

I have to commend Microsoft for going to the length of outlining what is and isn't acceptable under their terms of service. How anyone can criticize a company being transparent opposed to enforcing a vague set of rules at their whim is beyond me. More platforms should follow suit. I also think that putting these mild forms of trash talk front and center will help to combat actually unacceptable trash talk since it sets an example of where the line is. Ultimately, I'd much rather someone told me I have potato aim instead of calling me a racial slur.

I agree that terms like toxic etc are over used and don't apply here.

I also commend ms for being transparent.

I also think they're wrong, and no trash talk should be acceptable....there's literally no need for it.

IMHO their naming for the categories should change.

"Acceptable" should be "please don't say stuff like this"
"Not acceptable" should be "you can get banned for this"

I just don't think there's any need for any of those comments (between random people on the internet).

Maybe it's a cultural thing but bragging or making comments about the loser being bad just makes people look like a bit of a knob.

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
Came here for the cringe and was not disappointed. I like the term potato aim though. I think I am going to use that one.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
The irony in this is incredible, how about you sort your house out first before trying to sort other peoples'.

In relation to the post, I haven't had trash talk since COD4 days due to private chat, so its becoming very irrelevant if you play with friends. (Other than games that have text, like the toxic Rocket League and Moba games)

TuMekeNZ

Oct 27, 2017
Auckland, New Zealand
You know theres an issue with your online community when you have to issue trash talk guidelines...
Before you start, yes I know it's not just a xbox live issue.
Seriously though, WTF?

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
It's hard to take seriously when it reads like an ultra stiff scripted "gamer talk" trailer they do for E3

General premise is right, but tone is incredibly important too. You can say otherwise benign things and still be a shit person

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
"Potato aim" is a very common term. I'm pretty sure every Twitch streamer in existence has an emote that's a variation of it.

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
Now i start wondering is "NA aim" a racist term, i see this sometimes in famous streamer's chatroom lol.

Ragnite

Oct 27, 2017
"Good afternoon sir, I think your aiming during this game was abysmal, I suggest to you to learn how to move the stick to aim on story mode or on practice mode, then come back and try again."

Is this acceptable?

Sir may I suggest, if you would accept my advice, that you improve your skills in order to obtain a higher number of frags compared to your number of deaths, before returning here. As such we will be able to have a fairer competition.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Are you a man or played sports or just competed in anything in your life? Trash talk is common and natural. It's fine. It's when people take it too far. This isn't a hard concept to understand so good on MS for trying to set the standard and be realistic about their platform.
I'm not a man but I have played sports and I'm pretty sure if I told an opponent on the tennis court to "Get destroyed. Can't believe you thought you were on my level." I'd be asked to leave by staff for breaking the house rules.
Maybe it's different in your country but I would think respect is taught as an important part of competing to most kids whether it's in sports or competitive games like chess. I don't think gaming should be any different.

tanky

Banned
Apr 2, 2019
I agree that terms like toxic etc are over used and don't apply here.

I also commend ms for being transparent.

I also think they're wrong, and no trash talk should be acceptable....there's literally no need for it.

IMHO their naming for the categories should change.

"Acceptable" should be "please don't say stuff like this"
"Not acceptable" should be "you can get banned for this"

I just don't think there's any need for any of those comments (between random people on the internet).

Maybe it's a cultural thing but bragging or making comments about the loser being bad just makes people look like a bit of a knob.
I disagree with censoring any form of trash talk but respect your opinion. I wouldn't contest renaming their categories, though. Also, from my perspective, trash talk isn't just about putting people down. If your teammate misses an easy kill, you can humorously say, "hey, what's with that potato aim" to make light of an embarrassing moment. If the other team is BMing you during the match like shooting your corpse or teabagging you, hitting them with the "ggez" is a tepid way to mess with them. If someone loses a key round on the other team, throwing out a "you really gotta win those" is just a way to get into their head. Trash talk is inherent to competition, but it doesn't mean you have to be telling people to kill themselves or that you'll engage in sexual intercourse with their mothers. Frankly, the term "trash talk" is a bit too dramatic to be used in describing these harmless examples of banter.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not a man but I have played sports and I'm pretty sure if I told an opponent on the tennis court to "Get destroyed. Can't believe you thought you were on my level." I'd be asked to leave by staff for breaking the house rules.
Maybe it's different in your country but I would think respect is taught as an important part of competing to most kids whether it's in sports or competitive games like chess. I don't think gaming should be any different.
Tennis has a higher standard of decorum than most sports. But I've experienced plenty of trash talk on the court too.

I don't like it. But you can't really force people to be nice.