• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 14, 2021
Sweet mother

FJaeEBAWQAQvPoo
Why does King have Crash?

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I don't share the pessimism a lot of people have that MS will just buy up everyone. It doesn't really make much business sense. It's true the only thing MS still misses is FIFA, so at some point EA may be in the cards. But what MS needs is enough studios to release a big game every one or two months with a bunch of small games in between they don't even need to money hat because they seek an audience.. They seem to have enough studios now to make that happen.

Everything more however has an opportunity cost. It won't lead to many more subscriptions but does hike the price, which gets people to bounce off the service.

TheXboxPost

Banned
Oct 1, 2021
I do believe Activision saved their asses here.
They are declining pretty fast, Warzone is a disaster, Blizzard is a clusterfuck, every single dev under ATVI has serious problems.
Xbox (Or anyone reasonably managed) is great news for 10.000 employees living under Kotick's house.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
You could always stream the games to your phone or a cheap Chrome Book.
I have both an Xbox Series X and a PS5. It's irrelevant.

It's not good for the industry. These aren't small studios with niche market appeal. You now have a situation where they're buying practically entire segments of the gaming industry. We're heading in a direction where you have to buy this platform and subscription for this shooter and a different one entirely for the other brand, same with sports games. The problem is, it's nothing like having a fire tv that can connect to different services, there is expensive hardware to go with it.

Subscriptions obviously are finding their place but I don't understand people celebrating acquisitions like this. Ultimately, everyone is much better off if they're making deals to supply games on given services.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
They'll buy everyone that will sell.

They want to give everyone no other option but to subscribe to Gamepass, and at that point they jack up the price because what else are we gonna do?
Well, that's not true. Because, with a few exceptions, everyone would sell. AB was just in a position where they would sell for what MS was willing to pay.

This deal wouldn't have happened at $110+ billion six months ago.

Somniac

Banned
Oct 10, 2021
Still wouldn't dare playing another ActiBlizz game, especially when Microsoft is refusing to shake up the corporate ladder over there. I also don't really see any exclusives coming from this, unlike with the Bethesda buyout. Feels like the folks over at Raven are going to get completely shafted if Activision is going to be able to bypass Raven software and use Microsoft's resources to further outsource things like QA.

God I hate capitalism. Glad Microsoft has fully embraced its status as the Disney of video games.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft can put on a fucking e3 presentation by themselves at this point.

surreal times

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
Not sure why Sony should be too concerned with this? Losing COD would be a blow, but they have such a great 1st party line up. Added to the brand of PS being so strong WW I don't see the big deal. They'll sell 100 million plus PS5's and the world will keep spinning.

Only a hardcore gaming nerd like you or I could think like this.

Truly cannot see the forest for the trees, because we are connoisseurs that appreciate God of War more than CoD.

I hate to break it to you but CoD is an order of magnitude bigger than any Sony IP. Among causal adult players it is literally THE game. Millions and millions of gamers play no other game but CoD.

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Well, that's not true. Because, with a few exceptions, everyone would sell. AB was just in a position where they would sell for what MS was willing to pay.

This deal wouldn't have happened at $110+ billion six months ago.

Wow, Acti-Blizzard's value dropped that much? Kotick really was sinking the company.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
I'll bite, let's play list wars:

- HDD - doesn't matter if the 360 had a version without it. Microsoft started the movement.
- Ethernet - in every console, visionary decision when broadband had less than 5% adoption worldwide
- DLCs - Love it or hate it, Microsoft created the structure for this model
- Xbox Live - unique Gamertag, included headset for voice comunication, unified friends list, etc
- Matchmaking - yes, Microsoft and Bungie invented this with Halo 2)
- Achievements - yep, invented by Microsoft and copied by all
- Parties - Discord was born here
- Media in the living room - Without Xbox, Netflix probably doesn't get as huge as it go so fast
- Game Pass - bringing gaming to the reality of subscription based services, with amazing value

And, guess what? Every single one of those (Game Pass one is coming) was copied by Sony and others.

Microsoft completely changed gaming with a visionary approach to connectivity/internet. That's a fact. It's up to you to want to see it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Minus the fanboy line you had, you are 100% correct.

It amazing how people either forget or just don't know how MS pushed the industry forward. Instead, they rather take the low hanging fruit and just say they buy stuff. Both are true.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
I guarantee that Microsoft is not planning to charge $15 a month for Gamepass long term. They are in the growth stage right now. They want to lock people in and then begin to increase prices and find additional ways to monetize the service (see Netflix).

Contrary to popular belief Microsoft isn't making these moves and focusing on Gamepass to save you money, they want to make more of it (same as every company). You should plan on $20 a month by the end of this Gen.

ummmm, yeah, that's what I just agreed with? I totally expect a price increase…the thing is that the service will still be worth it by all measures. I don't know what the ceiling is though. Maybe $30 a month for Gamepass/Gamepass PC/Cloud/Live all together?

Oct 31, 2017
Either way, doesn't Japanese law prevent it anyway? I don't see how SE can be bought from an outside company.

AFAIK there's no law preventing that. Japan may have stricter laws regarding M&A, but it's not a downright prohibition like we've been led to believe. Feel free to prove me wrong, this is just an educated guess.

I'm curious about this... So since the Bethesda acquisition, Sony's basically kept firm on their 'organic growth' stance (i.e. buying smaller devs with potential, who essentially already made exclusive content for them).

How long can they keep that up though? Especially after their competition just acquired another big publisher - 10 times the size of the last big one? This is an incredibly big loss for Sony.

I just don't see them not responding, this is way too big. They definitely have the money to buy publishers... I'm fearing a Capcom/Square acquistion personally (eventhough I own both consoles)... This just plain sucks, man! 😞

But you think they'll just be sitting idle? I unfortunately doubt it. Their 'organic growth' can't compete with this.

Jesus, it's going just as everyone predicted, if not even faster. Consolidation, baby... *sigh*

That's not what organic growth means.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
The good news is that the squares will get so small in the future that you won't be able to tell who's there anymore.

Decado

Dec 7, 2017
If the Acti-Bliz devs are struggling, is MS really the company to turn them around? They've had the odd success, but I generally don't think of MS ushering in a culture that results in particularly high quality releases. I just might be out of touch.

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fully expecting MS to release the pressure off CoD so it gets some room to breath and improve. Warzone to continue to be supported thoughout. Mainline games on a 2 year cadence so they dont eat into each others audience.

They have Halo, Perfect Dark, Doom, Wolfenstein, Gears to fill the gap in between and maximise Gamepass sub every christmas. Really good for CoD teams i think.

Stone Cold

Oct 27, 2017
H
Not sure why Sony should be too concerned with this? Losing COD would be a blow, but they have such a great 1st party line up. Added to the brand of PS being so strong WW I don't see the big deal. They'll sell 100 million plus PS5's and the world will keep spinning.

call of duty is the current McDonald's of gaming, I'm sure they are very concerned.

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
That's a lot of money for Activision Blizzard. Very complex and messy situation to integrate, let's see how this will go. Obviously adds to an impressive slate of developers for Microsoft.

AndrewDean84

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Still wouldn't dare playing another ActiBlizz game, especially when Microsoft is refusing to shake up the corporate ladder over there. I also don't really see any exclusives coming from this, unlike with the Bethesda buyout. Feels like the folks over at Raven are going to get completely shafted if Activision is going to be able to bypass Raven software and use Microsoft's resources to further outsource things like QA.

God I hate capitalism. Glad Microsoft has fully embraced its status as the Disney of video games.
What's the future like? Did Trump win 2024?

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Do we think this is it for MS ? Or will they dare try and buy take two or something similar ?
I don't think they'll go after anyone else big in the next year or two. This acquisition is going to be a huge undertaking, they're going to want to focus on this for the time being. Maybe some other smaller acquisitions but I think EA and T2 are off the table for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.