• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Remember when we all thought their acquisition of Bethesda was huge? This is over nine times that amount of money. Absolutely insane.

This is going to take some time to fully process. Lots of implications here, both obvious and subtle.

aloner

Jun 30, 2021
Australia
That's why if you're Sony, you make the first move and try to thaw relations. The early 90s are lets be honest a distant spec in the rear view mirror of all these companies.

At the very least if I'm Sony and I'm seeing what I'm seeing, I send out some feelers to Nintendo. Throw out some friendly advances, try to at least thaw things a bit.

If MS ever cuts a deal with Nintendo ... well now you're completely and utterly fucked.

Sony still has one advantage over MS if it ever came to that ... they are a Japanese company and Nintendo is still a very stubborn Japanese company, they probably could more inclined to agree to a Japanese partner than an American one.

If I'm Sony, I'm talking to Tencent and Epic Games about partnerships and investment not Nintendo, Nintendo will continue to do their thing and very happily be Number One in Japan and do extremely well everywhere else on their own terms

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
User Warned: Console wars
Xbox is essentially the kid at school who's never been creative or smart enough to really shine above or lead their peers, hasn't done a particularly good job in terms of studies and academia for the last several decades, but who has a super wealthy dad through which they can essentially buy themselves in to relevancy.
This is my main concern too… their main innovations/contributions are around distribution (Game Pass and backwards compatibility).

I just don't see them taking many risks as far as pushing the medium forward in new ways (maybe the default hard drive + Ethernet in the OG Xbox? But then again, they stripped it out of the 360). They always take kind of a wait and see approach and then buy in or just copy what everyone else found successful. It's made it kind of difficult to get excited about them as a gaming company. This is how I feel about my Series X… it's a good value, but kind of safe/boring. Not 100% what excites me about console gaming. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

AgonyRon

Nov 27, 2017
I'm not as pessimistic. Games like Tony Hawk remaster and Crash 4 performed quite well. If the studios are still in tact and the support duties they were performing can be absorbed elsewhere it makes sense to get them working on different projects. "All eggs in one basket" always seemed like a bad idea to me... But this is just outside observations so I don't really know.
Perfect games for GamePass.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
For now... What happens a year from now or 5. We can all be happy right now that we have options until a year from now. I hate when people look at what's here and not long term. Then people wanna cry about $50-75 a month to play games because you have no way else to play it at. You don't get that option to Choose When the game gets cheap.

You think they're going to price Game Pass at a rate that exceeds TV subscriptions?

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Jak & Daxter + Ratchet & Clank will have to team up in a multiverse game to take on Crash's legacy...

SONY are going to remake this MASTERPIECE to take on those. Don't you worry.

Haze_boxart.jpg

Man, they need to free Free Radical.

Oct 31, 2017
You mean the studios Sony had been working with for the better part of a decade, in some cases longer, prior to acquisition?

What multiplatform releases were lost by Sony buying Insomniac, Housemarque, Bluepoint, Nixxes, and most recently Firesprite?

Most developers Sony buys are second party more than anything. I wouldn't quite say they have the same strategy.

Lol this bs again. Buying developers (ones they have close relationships with no less) isn't the same strategy as buying massive publishers. No matter how many times people say it.

Keyword is developers, Not publishers. There's a big difference between the 2. Is Microsoft purchased Call of Duty franchise that's fine, But now you've just taken away majority of the market for top games for consoles and possibly PC.

Not sure what that has to do with anything. M&A = inorganic growth. That's the definition. My point is they are both doing inorganic growth, one just happens to be doing it at a much larger scale. You may not like the definition but it is what it is.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Here's the problem, Sony is not a Trillion dollar company that can keep there or company afloat if there isn't any 3rd parties on their consoles. If enough companies are being bought out from Microsoft that basically gives them control of the console market, Sony will fail long term (let's be serious, as much as I like their 1st/2nd party games, Their sales are not enough to keep that company afloat for their playstation division.)

Then your only choice at that point is either Nintendo or Microsoft. And nintendo has their own market separate from Sony and Microsoft.

So technically the only thing they would be competing against is themselves. Your only hope would be someone from a company like Tencent or Apple to jump into the console marketplace.
Nintendo is/was a dwarf compared to Sony when they arrived on the scene and threw money around to secure a dominant position too.
Difference is, Sony ensured an actual dominant position, like insurmountable. Xbox is not even dominant now, let alone a more or less monopolist like Sony became during the PS2.
Until it wasn't.
This is the entertainment industry, rules work differently.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
1. Do you seriously think Microsoft isn't selling all of your data already?

Yes, of course they are.

Facebook doesn't just sell your data. Facebook uses your data -- provably -- to make genocide more efficient. There's a big gulf in selling your data and using your data, provably, to enable mass murder.

Facebook also leaks your data. Facebook also provides your data to corporations that are using your data to more efficiently elect would-be authoritarian leaders, and then Facebook denies that they're doing that, and then it's PROVEN that they did that, and then Facebook

That is part of the subsidy for all streaming services. They collect user data en masse, mine it themselves for future content programming, and sell it to anyone willing to pay.

The only option here is to not provide your data, but as that is part and parcel of the service agreement to even use most of these services the only real winning move is to never play.

I've explained my rationale for sharing data with some companies and not others, and it shouldn't be to suggest that "the ones I share my data with are benevolent, while the ones I don't are malicious," But rather, that I get value from sharing my data with some companies, and I get negative value from sharing it with others, so I do everything I can to * not* share data with those companies.

For a company like Netflix, Sony, Microsoft, I get some amount of value from using those services. I like playing videogames on Microsoft and Sony consoles, I like watching shows on Netflix, so I consider it *okay* to share my data with them because I see the value on the other end.

For a company like Facebook, they add *negative value* to my life. Meaning, Facebook's core products -- Facebook, Instagram, Messenger, and the other smaller products that don't get much attention -- make my life worse. Facebook gives me anxiety and makes me feel bad about myself, Instagram's reward mechanisms reward you to be someone you're not. I've never used WhatsApp so I don';t have strong opinions about it, I suspect it's fine, I like Signal which is pretty similar so I don't really have personal beef with WhatsApp like I do Facebook's other products. So, because I get *negative value* from Facebook's products, then I don't want them to get positive value from my data where I can control it (there's some things I just can't really control, or it's really hard to, like my wife uses Facebook and Instagram as do a lot of my friends, and so I knwo that Facebook gets value from my data through people who are close to me, but that's not something I can really control as easily short of ... turning off bluetooth, location services, divorcing my wife, stop using ResetEra, etc).

2. Microsoft was investigated for, charged with, and found to be guilty of anti-trust. They only got a slap on the wrist but they did literally everything Facebook has done by buying Instagram, Whatsapp, etc., and more by actively forcing the software layer. If Facebook is more malicious than Microsoft today it isn't because Microsoft took the high ground, its simply because the means weren't at their disposal.

I never implied or suggested that "Microsoft has taken the high ground," or something, but Microsoft is a far better run company today and over the last decade than Facebook, which is arguably the most or among the most malicious companies on earth. And FWIW, Facebook's acquistions of Instagram and WhatsApp should be grounds for anti-trust if we continued to invest in regulatory industries as the same rate as we did 25 years ago when Microsoft was investigated and charges with anti-trust.

So, for me, if Facebook acquired Act-Bliz, I'd be more bummed but that's because I consider Facebook the most malicious, or among the msot malicious, companies on earth. And also that the root of that malice is by design, it's from Mark Zuckerberg, who can't be fired. Zuck might step down if he chooses to in ~5 years, maybe he'll transition to some post-Meta/FB life, but nobody can make him step down at Facebook. Facebook could go all in on right wing, genocide enabling, they could go more mask off on it, they can hire more Trump advisors and put them in the room with Zuckerberg than they have, and there's nothing the board or shareholders can do about it because Zuckerberg has more control of Facebook than almost any other major tech CEO has of their company.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I'm Sony, I'm talking to Tencent and Epic Games about partnerships and investment not Nintendo, Nintendo will continue to do their thing and very happily be Number One in Japan and do extremely well everywhere else on their own terms

Probably don't want to give Tencent any ideas, lol, they could just buy Sony.

Epic Games is one thing but they don't really have a catalog of IP that would bolster a streaming service.

Klokwerk

Oct 29, 2017
I honestly think this move was strictly done to take call of duty away from Sony. Never thought I'd see the day when call of duty was a console exclusive game but here we are.

Yes, that's the only way this move makes sense, it can't be only about Gamepass. $70 billion is a huge sum even for MS. They want to push Sony out of the console hardware market.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I could see them not releasing games on Steam to not increase Valve's value in case they ever have the opportunity to acquire them.

PJTierney

Social Media Manager • EA SPORTS WRC
Verified
Mar 28, 2021
Warwick, UK
image-asset.jpeg

Obviously this is big news and all, and it'll be a while before we see how that all locks into place and trickles down into games, but on a smaller (and slightly selfish) level this has me thinking:

• Hearthstone to Xbox anyone?

It already runs supremely well on mobile, and is simple enough to in theory be controlled with just a D-Pad and face buttons.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I watch his streams, admittedly I don't know about anything negative regarding him. I'm ignorant on that part.

He's a horrible piece of shit. One of the last PS I Love You's he did before getting the boot from Kinda Funny for being too toxic, he was talking about how white people shouldn't be allies or help defend the rights of Black people or Brown people, in response to public criticism over the Native American cultural appropriation in Horizon Zero Dawn. I'm pretty sure it's still up on Youtube if you want to go find it.
He's a "both sides" right wing libertarian and there's a reason you don't see him discussed on this site.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
You think they're going to price Game Pass at a rate that exceeds TV subscriptions?
If they continue to buy large companies like Activision, yes! Think about it. If they scoop up EA and Ubi they'll have total control over the vast majority of relevant third party video game franchises and new endeavors.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Except its not an open platform. Game Pass is a closed platform.

... okay.. we're not talking about the same things.
Game Pass fits into exactly what I described. It exists on open ecosystems or Xbox specifically. Simple as that.

XCloud is your solution if don't have devices with access to Gamepass. Everything else is supportive of the Xbox Ecosystem, so they keep bringing Gamepass or retail games to them

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
Big freaking difference between yesterday and today in terms of market share. What Microsoft has done here is basically kneecap the industry in order to dunk on Sony.

A temporary boost to gamepass value is not worth what has happened here.

Dunk on Sony? Temporary boost in Gamepass value?

When MS started their new approach with gamepass it became very clear to a lot of people that the production pipeline they would need would have to be massive. This isn't an acquisition to dunk on Sony, they need the people and corporate structure combined with the IPs to have a big enough content pipeline for the service. This isn't a temporary boost to value, it's still laying the pipeline for all the content that will appear on the service in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.