• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CRZYSPZ

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
So the more I think about it, I think I'm starting to lean more towards Housemarque being the potential studio buyout for MS rather than Quantic Dream. They mentioned that a year or so ago they had to decide between either downsizing or vast growth in order to thrive in the future and they picked growth (and are still hiring). With Stormdivers (a BR game they've been at least concepting since 2015) and whatever new AAA IP they're working on, I could see MS taking interest in their work.

As someone that loves twinstick shooters, I really hope they rethink about the whole 'Arcade is dead' thing if they were officially under MS, but I doubt it.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
David Jaffee got weird after gamergate started. Not sure what his issue is lately.

That's also a stupid plan. MS adore not have trouble getting gamer bros into their ecosystem. Gears does that fine and even they are moving that away. Halo is really stretching it but I've never viewed that franchise the same way I view CoD or Gears. There may be overlap due to competitive multiplayer but that's it.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
That's the great feature of XGP is that MS now can create any type of game and not worry about what type of gamer plays it

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I love game pass

But now I have so many games, with so little time

How do I do it Era xD I want to try and play too many lol

Don't try. I treat my library like a sampler. Just keep rotating the samples until I find a main course I want to stick with. It's OK not to complete everything you own or have access to. Game Pass is great for game explorers.

Oct 27, 2017
The World
David Jaffee got weird after gamergate started. Not sure what his issue is lately.

That's also a stupid plan. MS adore not have trouble getting gamer bros into their ecosystem. Gears does that fine and even they are moving that away. Halo is really stretching it but I've never viewed that franchise the same way I view CoD or Gears. There may be overlap due to competitive multiplayer but that's it.

It seems like his idea is make Xbox the alt-right console.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I have over 350 games on my X1 already and I don't venture much outside of the game types and genres I normally play. So yeah, 200 games may not include enough variety.

I have 600+ X1 games (digitally, probably way over 700 including discs), and I'm still finding Game Pass worth it, especially when it's discounted, and that's pretty often.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Playstation Now has over 400 games. No point in making the number of games a focus because it's diminishing returns after 100 or so. It's the quality, diversity and freshness of the lineup that matters.
Most of psnow games are still ps3 games though, and even Ps4 ones are from the early years. If in addition to the current library they offered new stuff it would be quite special already, even without offering day one releases.

Startropper

Oct 25, 2017
So the more I think about it, I think I'm starting to lean more towards Housemarque being the potential studio buyout for MS rather than Quantic Dream. They mentioned that a year or so ago they had to decide between either downsizing or vast growth in order to thrive in the future and they picked growth (and are still hiring). With Stormdivers (a BR game they've been at least concepting since 2015) and whatever new AAA IP they're working on, I could see MS taking interest in their work.

As someone that loves twinstick shooters, I really hope they rethink about the whole 'Arcade is dead' thing if they were officially under MS, but I doubt it.

MS are looking for mid-sized creative teams. Housemarque seem ambitious and are looking to grow, what better way then a huge backer giving you creative freedom?

Seems like both their interests are aligning here.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Don't try. I treat my library like a sampler. Just keep rotating the samples until I find a main course I want to stick with. It's OK not to complete everything you own or have access to. Game Pass is great for game explorers.
My main problem is that maybe many games I start, will leave game pass before I finish lol how long do they usually last for?

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit at Gears 4 is having 4000 achievement points. Just played a bit MP and 46 rounds of Horde mode and finished up the campaign on Insane difficulty around when the game released and only have 775 points.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
About MSGP's collaboration with studios for Crackdown 3. We know that they are working with Sumo for the game, but Joe Staten also briefly mentioned another studio. Anyone who found something back on a studio named "Elbow Rocket"? They are supposed to help out on Crackdown 3's multiplayer, but i can barely find anything back on the studio.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
About MSGP's collaboration with studios for Crackdown 3. We know that they are working with Sumo for the game, but Joe Staten also briefly mentioned another studio. Anyone who found something back on a studio named "Elbow Rocket"? They are supposed to help out on Crackdown 3's multiplayer, but i can barely find anything back on the studio.
We talked about this a lot on Discord. I think we came to the tentative conclusion that Elbow Rocket has to be an internal division at Microsoft.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
The earliest article that mentions Elbow Rocket that i can find dates from E3 2018.

We talked about this a lot on Discord. I think we came to the tentative conclusion that Elbow Rocket has to be an internal division at Microsoft.

It's weird though that they mention that MSGP works on Crackdown 3 "in collaboration with Sumo Digital and Elbow Rocket". Maybe it's just a very small studio. However, it definitely sounds likely if it's just an internal team working on Crackdown 3.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It's weird how silent Microsoft is about Age of Empires. Even the team that is working with them on the remasters is silent:

https://www.forgottenempires.net/news

(they do have an open job position tho)

I don't think AoE:DE did really well. Their Twitter is still only focusing on AoE2HD (and rightfully so, it still has a really active community)
https://twitter.com/ForgottenEmp

This is the news page on the official website: https://www.ageofempires.com/news/
They announced AoE IV pretty early. Pretty sure we'll get to see the game in 2019 - maybe along with other strategy news for Microsoft Studios.

Oct 26, 2017
So I was watching a top 3 most disappointing games video of MrmattyPlays and We happy Few is in there. He wanted to love the game because it reallly reminded him of Bioshock but he said the procedurally generated environments really turned out to be a bad idea, the bugs, too much focus on combat.

There more I read/hear about this game the more to me it seems that there's still a enjoyable game underneath all that and that gives me hope for their future games. Especially because they now have the backing of MS too, bigger budget should hopefully mean better games in the future. I still intend to buy WHF at some point. I was surprised it wasn't in the sale. But I definitely think this is a developer that can grow if they look at the mistakes made when they make their next game.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018

It's been mentioned a number of times on here that Housemarque appear to be working with Sony on something (the Sony Xdev account was retweeting their job listings), so I think it's safe to rule out them for the time being (although I could be wrong), as for QD I REALLY hope MS isn't actually considering them as I could see it being a bit of a disaster.

I can't remember who but someone here mentioned Tarsier Studios (tearaway unfolded, little nightmares) which imo makes a ton of sense.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
So I was watching a top 3 most disappointing games video of MrmattyPlays and We happy Few is in there. He wanted to love the game because it reallly reminded him of Bioshock but he said the procedurally generated environments really turned out to be a bad idea, the bugs, too much focus on combat.

There more I read/hear about this game the more to me it seems that there's still a enjoyable game underneath all that and that gives me hope for their future games. Especially because they now have the backing of MS too, bigger budget should hopefully mean better games in the future. I still intend to buy WHF at some point. I was surprised it wasn't in the sale. But I definitely think this is a developer that can grow if they look at the mistakes made when they make their next game.
One of my favorite games this year. Loved the story, and I thought the gameplay was interesting. The Second Character playthrough was not fun though.

Oct 26, 2017
One of my favorite games this year. Loved the story, and I thought the gameplay was interesting. The Second Character playthrough was not fun though.

Good to read something positive here about it. I'll definitely get it next year. Too much to play right now.

The Sequence Group is already doing that/working on it.

By the way, next IGN First Crackdown update should be next week right? So far the only thing we've had was the gameplay video last week, correct?

Nov 23, 2018

I loved We Happy Few, but unfortunately did not finish the game (yet).

I put a lot of hours into Arthur's campaign and though the storytelling was top-notch. When I hit the second campaign and realized I had to start over with inventory and perks, I was disappointed and stopped playing.

I wasn't expecting much, as I never played during Early Access, and was pleasantly surprised by WHF. Compulsion Games has a ton of potential!

Apr 6, 2018
The Lords of Shadow games had a lot of great ideas, the first game especially I found was better then God Of War III.

Recently they developed Metroid as well which was received well
basically is not so hard doing a better action game than god of war. Those games had an epic surface with amazing graphics but the gameplay was pretty mediocre, hidden by a massive amount of epicness.
LOS is a way better "game", just not well exposed.
Probably has roots from early than that. The "all-new engine" thing is marketing speak for we have invested heavily in our engine tech, which is by no means a bad thing, but teams don't just throw out their tech and start from scratch.
Oh yes for sure. Basically in tech there's no need to innovate until it works.
For Battletoads, i'm quite happy they decided to go with hand-drawn animations. Something that'll be interesting though is the art style they could be going with. I do hope the toads look great both in animation and just in terms of design.

So far the only stuff we have related to the art style is this small piece of animation:

4X9kdwh.gif
that gif is so inspiring, I hope the whole game has this cartoon vibe

I think the best we can hope for on that front is to have parity with other platforms. It's been kind of lame to see games like DQXI, Persona 5, DQ Builders, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 - 2.8 skip Xbox this gen. I've never been in the camp that wants Xbox exclusives from Japan.
KH's music license is bit convoluted, it may be one of the reason why are still playstation locked, not even on pc or nintendo
What's the deal with Halo Infinite's narrative and how 343i is going to handle it? I see they fired Brian Reed and got the guy who did the Arkham games

How would the Arkham writer handle Halo? Also I have heard it's going to be more self contained and focus entirely on Chief, but what about everything that happened in Halo 5?
We don't know if Brian Reed was fired, he left, or his contract just expired
That's the best part. Game starts off with Master Chief waking up from cryosleep dating back to Halo 3. Everything else was a dream/nightmare. Lol

Seriously who knows. Just like with Star Wars, I feel the writing did some irreparable damage to the lore. Don't know how they get themselves out of this mess outside of making it a self contained story to get fans back and leave the events between 5 and Infinite as mysteries.
Scrapping the second best game in the saga while preserving h3?
Nah the lore survived halo 3 and reach(that really fucked everything. Lore right now is perfecly fine, maybe in its best spot in halo history, but it would be too long to explain all th loop a precursors stuff. The only thing we know is that it will continue h5 and it will start in medias res.
A nitpick of mine but nobody outside of 343i knows what happened to Brian Reed. He may have simply quit because of all the hate and harassment he received from parts of the halo fanbase.
Yeah I can't find him on twitter, I guess that being the scapegoat of a nasty community is a nightmare.
While Sony does have enough content, it doesn't have the right content. Vast majority of their games are single player games that are done and dusted. While this nice to have, it doesn't keep people subscribed to PSNow, it may explain why Sony is against putting their newest games onto PSNow, because the service can't sustain single player game cost. Microsoft's games are majority multiplayer with some single player games or MP/SP GaaS games.

Sony will need to change their business model to keep PSNow competitive.

Another fundamental thing in a netflix model market, is money. Whoever has the most money will win.
Problem is that sony games offers a low replay value, except for god of war and detroit. Spiderman is one of the easiest game I ever tried(not a fault of the game, they had to nail the casual audience), and so on.
Games like botw, or even linear ones like dishonored, doom or halo, offers ton of fun because each plays is never the same
I don't agree with this. I've already played God of War 3 times, Spider Man and Red Dead twice and I plan on replaying AC Odyssey. A game doesn't need to have multiplayer to have legs. If a game is good, I'll replay it simply to experience it again. It's the same reason I saw Infinity War 5 times in the cinema. I've gotten more hours out of the Mass Effect franchise than any multiplayer game.
Looks like is something subjective
I'm more surprised you were able to finish it. It's one of the most boring, tedious games of recent memory.

Not to be overly negative but... I didn't like this one either. I loved the first, but this one felt like really bad fanfiction. Just really poor writing all around.
the open world is good, the missions are the same rockstar missions with a western skin, I got bored after a few ones.

I don't know if I'd count Turn 10, for me that be like counting Sony San Diego for Playstation even though all they really make are baseball games. Also I don't think I can count Playground as 2.
turn 10 and sony san diego are definitely AAA, even if it's not your kind of experience
RARE too. OMG, my memory.
9 AAA Studios.

Obsidian, Inxile, Ninja Theory and Compulsion.
New logos asap.
inXile and NInja Theory's ones are amazing, fight me
I'm happy to see a resurgence in Japanese games. Phil has been going to Japan and they are getting the big multiplat games like Devil May Cry and Kingdom Hearts. I think Game Pass could ease Xbox gamers into them and the PC is getting lots of support too which would make it easy enough to port over.

This is why I'm hoping Halo Infinite gets a beefy campaign.
I'm a bit scared that being beefy nowadays means reaching a determined number of hours abusing lite rpg mechanics(that I hate, I love hardcore rpg, the lite rpg thing this gen is boring) and killing replay value
Incredible what one man can do for a game.

Once Arena is out SoT should be even more popular again.

bildschirmfoto2018-12alc1h.png
Awesome. Shrouded spoils is a perfectly handled update.
Such a good offer for digital Forza Horizon 4. You can get it on Amazon.de for only €19.99 + free €10 gift card. Promotion will end in 20 hours.

For how long? Another 2-3 months and that's it?
Guess what will happen after 2-3 months Arena's release? Another, or even other two, update.
I know that it's not a first party game since the deal was made a few years ago but since Microsoft now owns Obsidian, who else here is buying The Outer Worlds?
Me. Fallout new vegas and kotor 2 are masterpieces, plus Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky are godlike world builders with the first fallout and vampire: the masquerade.
What's the outlook for Undead Labs. Have they already started on SOD3 or still working on SOD2 content?

I really think SOD3 is going to be their dream game now that they have MS full backing. Hopefully they'll flesh out the movement in the game, add PvP, talent trees etc.
Matt Booty already talked of state of decay 3
I hope not but you're probably right.
IDK if the SOD formula will work without zombies, like dragons or vampires.
Still the game is fucking addicting once you start building your base.
Shrouded Spoils brought me back too. What an update!!

I also think the bigger Atlas gets, it will help SoT too since they are the same genre and more people will be curious to try out SoT.
Atlas hype and disaster is a huge assist to SoT.
Plus Shrouded Spoils is one of the best updates this gen. I was underwelmed while reading the patch notes, yet in game everything feels so good.
Now that Ive had the PSVR for a few days, MS needs to get into VR gaming.
MSFT is already in VR.
Plus investing hugely in vr could be a kinect-like disaster.
I've done some research and Summit is defintely making his impact but still it seems like the number of people streaming it have grown this december. Maybe is a game good to play on holydays?

https://twitchtracker.com/games/490377
The last updates were awesome, easy
If it's good Arena could be massive for SoT...
Arena Looks good, but I still have hopes for a survival/horde mode pve based
I'm guessing the next Xbox will likely support third party headsets. The question is whether Microsoft will fund development of first party VR specific games, an area where Sony is now very strong. Or perhaps with next gen hardware being stronger we'll simply see more existing games offering VR modes.

VR doesn't really fit in with the 'play anywhere' xCloud strategy, as it would be impossible via streaming. Although I suppose it isn't a case of one thing or the other. PS Now exists, and so does PSVR.
VR has still everything to prove. It's a start, but a little one. Kinect was a way bigger one.
Whenever I see comments from people saying MS games are full of MTX or make snarky uninformed comments that the new studios will be forced to put MTX in their games it infuriates me to no end because it simply isn't true.
Lol that thread is hilarious.
Doesn't have to be ready. You won't get cut out for not jumping on new hardware day 1.

I think we need to get past the idea that microtransactions are always a bad thing anyways. There are different ways to implement additional monitization and I'm not going to shit on every game developer or publisher to find ways to make money. Pay to win sucks and I won't support that but for the most part, pay to win has been the minority.

If developers find other ways to monetize beyond initial sales and it doesn't break the games, I can support it because it means developers and publishers may been willing to risk launching into a service like Game Pass.
MTX could be done good or bad, like everything.
Plus people should remember really bad practises like the old season passes and online passes.
Basically the old methods drained money from the community, separating who paid from the vanilla version, to apply mtx you had to preserve the community with regular content updtes so someone may pay for everyone.
I only hope that, if Arena Mode succeed they don't forget about the vanilla game ala Fortnite (Arena won't be another Fortnite phenomenon anyway).
Nope, because arean is based on the adventure sandbox, so the will enhance each other.
This was very similar to the situation with God of War where fans were split when the reboot was unveiled. Sadly for me, I was very much in the camp which preferred the old God of War style of gameplay and was disappointed with the reboot which I didn't enjoy anywhere near as much as the original trilogy.

That said, when it comes to Halo, I'm very much in the camp that feels it does need a partial reboot. However, I want that reboot to take its inspiration from Halo:CE and the magic that game had in its atmosphere and environments.

Of course I'm only talking about single player. I realise when it comes to multi player games fans are even more split. But it's probably easier to appease all there by simply offering more modes and options.
Still buffles me what kind of magic had halo ce. It was a shit ton of fun to play(and still remains), but the saga really started as a universe with 2.
Interesting. An internal gaming division or a cloud one?

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
Sea of Thieves should be released in March 2019 with all content which we saw already. Then maybe they could have much much better launch and continuity of playing gamers :)
Maybe, but because people are impatiently, it would of reached Crackdown levels of "jokes" about never releasing.

So it's either release early and get trashed, or release later with more content but be the butt of more jokes, and possibly lose the interest of many.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Sea of Thieves should be released in March 2019 with all content which we saw already. Then maybe they could have much much better launch and continuity of playing gamers :)
perhaps a lot of the content they are and have been releasing has altered in some way shape or form from community feedback, and if they just kept waiting until they felt like it was "enough", for someone like you, then they would have never released it.

their launch was great from what i remember sooo idk what you are talking about having a 'better' launch.

vorimenn

Banned
Jul 28, 2018
London, United Kingdom.
Hopefully Microsoft really learnt that lesson and they won't tease any game at least for 2 years before release (with already accepted date, no delays), like Halo Infinite. If it'll be in 2020, that will be good timing. Gears 5 is so obvious it'll be in Holiday 2019. But Battletoads is really wondering thing.

Maybe, but because people are impatiently, it would of reached Crackdown levels of "jokes" about never releasing.

So it's either release early and get trashed, or release later with more content but be the butt of more jokes, and possibly lose the interest of many.
That's sad true.

Status
Not open for further replies.