• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Hopefully he's finally focusing on getting a decent haircut.

Who knows. He's 64, has a 100 billion dollars, and his full time job is giving away his money. I'm sure he wont even make a dent at the end of the day.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
maybe he just wants to truly retire, but it's not like being on a board is demanding work

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Might be related to Gates Foundation charity efforts - he may wish to release himself from conflicts- I'm purely speculating here. No insight tbh.

Also on timing- April first is new fiscal year and thousands of "coincidences " have to happen to create clear fiscal year separation and the two weeks beforehand are often the cleanup buffer for transactions, acquisitions or divestitures etc. same for management changes. So this timing happens this time every year on all sorts of things.

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018
What is even going on with this damn week? If bad news were an entity in space-time, right now, it would be a fucking black hole.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
He probably just feels like Microsoft is doing fine and wants to focus 100% on the foundation. And for good reason - Microsoft is in the top few businesses worldwide in market cap and Windows, Office, Azure, and AzureDevOps are going nowhere. They are going to continue to grow rapidly along with cloud and standardized development practices as the software industry grows and cloud services do.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Bill's been worried about what's going on right now for years.

Here's his ted talk on preparing for an epidemic.

His Foundation is highly important and I hope he's putting his effort into that.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Stepping down to create a new company called Macrohard.

rJuQgQvl.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Might be related to Gates Foundation charity efforts - he may wish to release himself from conflicts- I'm purely speculating here. No insight tbh.

Also on timing- April first is new fiscal year and thousands of "coincidences " have to happen to create clear fiscal year separation and the two weeks beforehand are often the cleanup buffer for transactions, acquisitions or divestitures etc. same for management changes. So this timing happens this time every year on all sorts of things.

The MS fiscal year runs until the end of June.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
President Gates for 2024.

Probably a joke, and even though we're all probably sick of "celebrity politicians"....but, uh, yeah I'd definitely take Bill.

deadline.com

Bill Gates Exits Microsoft Board To Focus On Philanthropy Full-Time, Ends An Era At The Company

Bill Gates stepped down from the board of directors of Microsoft to dedicate more time to his philanthropic priorities.

To focus full time on philanthropy.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
HUGE!

Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates is stepping down from the company's board to spend more time on philanthropic activities.

He says he wants to focus on global health and development, education and tackling climate change.

One of the world's richest men, Mr Gates, 65, has also left the board of Warren Buffett's massive holding company, Berkshire Hathaway.

www.bbc.com

Bill Gates steps down from Microsoft board to focus on philanthropy

The company's 64-year-old co-founder will spend more time on philanthropic activities.

I wish Bill Gates put a tiny fraction of that money in Xbox 1P, give us Scalebound, Lost Odyssey 2, Sunset Overdrive 2, buy Sega and give us all the Nipponese exclusives!

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guessing his involvement was minimal anyway, at this point. His company is in safe hands.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I mean, all that money could go into solving world hunger (millions of Indians starve everyday), universal healthcare and other public goods, but who wants that when we can have exclusives instead. Honestly, I try not to be bitter about it, but the first world privilege and ignorance on this forum is stifling.

Dec 5, 2017
I wish Bill Gates used all his money to help the poor without requiring those he is giving money to to switch to charter schools.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Gamestop?!

No but seriously. Spend your money Bill. There are a lot of wholes in the world to do just that.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Xbox Game Studios lineup is fine and it's only getting better. Put all that money into stuff that is actually needed in the world.