• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jun 25, 2022
Very interesting stuff. Can't wait to see what the future holds. I have to say though, this gen is definitely more competitive than last gen which was not very competitive. I'm glad MS is giving Sony something to mull over this gen.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Which one of their studios was going to create a GaaS? Sony doesn't force their studios to create a specific type of game so which studio showed they wanted to create that?

I think WetWaffle who also responded to my post kind of gets my point a little better than you have here. The limitations you mention above are all those imposed by Sony on themselves.

I'm saying Sony had the capability to do these things, with the hardware units they were (and are) selling, the amount of studios they have, their financial capability and just the sheer size of the company they have the power to at least try and create something in this space.

Do you believe that it would have been absolutely impossible for Sony to create a GaaS shooter in the last eight years?

00Quan[T]

Banned
May 12, 2022
If timed exclusives and marketing deals are scummy, then buying a publisher at 70% of the value of their top competitors parent company for full control of their staff and IPs has to be on a whole different level of scum.

Well, Microsoft also can't get deals for Gamepass because Sony pays to keep games away from it. I guess they made their onw bed here.

Oct 30, 2017
MS spent like 90 billion dollars for gaming in like last 3 years. That's more than Sony earned from gaming since existence of PS. They are not an "underdog". Also when this deal comes through if they will start adding AB revenue to MS revenue they will get close if not pass Sony.
Yeah. Any attempts to draw an equivalence to these acquisitions with the occasional timed exclusive (which people on this forum have been seething over) is crazy.
It wasn't long ago that timed exclusives were seen as shitty moves.

Ombala

Oct 30, 2017
It's always funny when people compare FF7R being exlusive too a plattform holder buying a huge publisher.
Which has already bought another publisher recently too BTW.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Cool. Another thread of dumbass fanboys cheering on their favorite corporation.

I'm subbed to gamepass for the next three years. Am I supposed to argue against myself getting more value for money I've already paid?

The things we're seeing now with entire levels, characters, or whatever being held up for years between coming out on one system to the other
Why beat around the bush here? Why not just say Sony locking out Destiny content for two plus years on Xbox?

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You go poking the bear for 20 years and I guess this happens lol, answering the question, "Why does the bigger corp not simply consume the smaller corp?"

A brave new world.

Of course MS is right in terms of the logic, but this is still a scummy road we're going down. The platforms will respond in kind until they implode into a merger.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Thanks! Even just admitted that their consoles haven't been successful is kind of huge but both Sony and Microsoft have a very clear agenda with their responses here. Microsoft is laughably trying to downplay their own company and success and the success of Call of Duty here. At the end of the day, it's the largest company in the world acquiring the largest video game publisher. That is going to turn heads no matter how Microsoft tries to downplay it. Calling their console business unsuccessful or a failure is part of that spin for sure.

Yes but you have to realize that both are playing the same game here. Microsoft is trying to belittle itself to not appear as the largest, but perhaps least successful, player in the space. Microsoft is still a company that could just buy Sony itself and we shouldn't let the corporate back-and-forth make us lose sight of that. Don't take these statements at face value because there's a clear agenda behind them.

Of course, but legally speaking by all anti-trust laws the acquisition should hold through without any concessions. The wiggle room is if regulators decide to sue to block some parts just to throw a wrench in the process.

Skies

Oct 25, 2017
Maybes it's been mentioned within this thread, but I found it interesting that Microsoft made sure to say the CoD would still be available in a buy-to-play format on PlayStation consoles.

It is like Microsoft is saying, hey you can have my bishop right now, but I just confirmed taking your queen next move.

To clarify, Call of Duty will continue to be available to buy on PlayStation consoles. But since Microsoft is envisioning a sub-to-play future that is not tied to a single device, they still have essentially tied up CoD exclusivity for Gamepass as consoles slowly fade away from the equation. So not only will the get that sweet sweet CoD PlayStation purchase revenue in the short-term, they have also essentially cut off one of the biggest IP in America from their biggest competitor in the long-term.

Last edited:

Returners

Oct 25, 2017
Selling an IP they own on another platform is not charity, and it certainly isn't done for your convenience. Also just gonna just point out that Microsoft wasn't caring that much about "pushing for less walls between platforms with cross-play initiatives" until they found themselves at the end of a noose in the last generation.

Final Fantasy XIV is extremely profitable and given Xbox's acquisition of ABK, they could now be the de facto MMORPG console, but the reason why the game isn't on Xbox consoles yet is because they've denied Square the opportunity to release the game on their ecosystem without demanding the player pay the additional Xbox Live cost on top of the game's own subscription, which Sony never asked them to do, and Square wasn't willing to budge on. Game could've been there for years now, and perhaps if it had, the newer Final Fantasy games wouldn't be Sony "exclusives", because Square would have had an established playerbase on that platform. Nowadays, yes, they've reversed that opinion, and that's a good thing, but that has nothing to do with my point at all. The moment it stops being profitable or useful for their image, they'll reverse it again, as did Sony, and as has Nintendo before.

I wanted to respond to this particular bit because people have a very selective memory when it comes to console manufacturers.

You can have an extremely monopolistic antagonistic takeover of an industry, while that company still providing perceived short or mid term benefits for those who opt in. It's pretty obvious that a business will at the very least play the part. The world has a few shades of grey in it.

Comparing any of the studios Sony's acquired with ABK is more than a little silly. Please see at not only how much those studios (emphasis on purpose here) cost, and how much money they were and are now making, versus ABK or any of its IPs. You're comparing a guy buying a Toyota Camry to go to work, to a guy window-shopping a Porsche Panamera and still being loaded after the fact.

Microsoft is several times larger than Sony. Of course their acquisitions are going to be more costly, but that's exactly what I mean when I say they're undercutting the competition with their massive bank accounts.

And you seem to understand this, because you noted it right here:

Unless you think Call of Duty games will suddenly be free to develop once ABK's acquisition concludes, then that is literally the definition of a market undercut, because games of that magnitude aren't developed at 15 bucks a pop. And so market undercuts, especially when done at a loss, are done with the specific intention to bleed the competition, which can't afford to provide the same kind of offer at all, so they either shift focus to a less profitable segment of the market (which can fuck them over), or they concede and try to compete and go bankrupt in the process.

This isn't a new thing, it's not a new strategy that the Xbox division just came up with. In fact it's not even the first time Microsoft has done this.

Sony failed to prove that this would be a substantial blow to their business, because they failed to show how doing this with Call of Duty specifically would have a significant effect on their storefront. But add all of ABK's IPs, on top of Game Pass itself, and you can clearly see how this adds up to a massive blow.

The part where it affects you, because I know a lot of people understand things better in those terms, is that they will not operate Xbox at a loss forever, and at some point, someone is going to have to be paying them to go back to the massive profits they envision given these investments and planned losses. That someone is you, in case it isn't obvious! lol And the way that will be expressed is either in a significant price hike, a significant lower payout for games on the service, or a significant drop in quality of games being offered -- sometimes even all three. We've seen similar things with Netflix as well.

And if they have their way, at that time you won't have an alternative anymore. That is how the strategy works. It's a strategy older than gaming is, and MS has done this before with Windows.

I'm not saying MS is bleeding the competition now. I'm saying these market decisions were done with that intention, and since neither Nintendo nor Sony have the funds to combat such a hostile takeover, this is effectively monopolistic.

If Sony starts doing the same shit, I'd say the same shit about them. My issue is people not seeing this happening in front of their eyes.

I agree.

Walmart has done that with mom and pop retail stores by price undercutting before, killing the competition. Amazon is doing to the same to Walmart as well.

Everything is cyclical, PS2 arrogance led to PS3 disaster launch. 360 arrogance led to XBO disaster launch.
Netflix streaming started at 7.99 and is now at 15.49 almost doubling.

Right now it is an arms race on who can stock pile more IPs and have exclusive content.

00Quan[T]

Banned
May 12, 2022
Microsoft can certainly get deals with gamepass by making their own deals. The cost to add a game to gamepass is likely more than it costs to keep a game off of it.

"MS says that Microsoft's ability to continue expanding Game Pass has been hampered by Sony's desire to inhibit such growth. Sony pays for "blocking rights" to prevent developers from adding content to Game Pass and other competing subscription services (then there is a bunch of redacted content)."

MS just "found a way" to get their deals for gamepass.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Well, Microsoft also can't get deals for Gamepass because Sony pays to keep games away from it. I guess they made their onw bed here.

The idea that Microsoft were forced into their hyper aggressive acquisition strategy because of Sony locking down third party content is bizarre, not least because Microsoft repeatedly engage in the practice themselves.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
If timed exclusives and marketing deals are scummy, then buying a publisher at 70% of the value of their top competitors parent company for full control of their staff and IPs has to be on a whole different level of scum.
I don't agree. I think there's a difference between purchasing an entire studio, meaning you take on their debts and all development costs, and paying another studio a few million dollars to prevent a game releasing somewhere else.

If you don't, then hey that's okay. Different opinions and all that.

00Quan[T]

Banned
May 12, 2022
The idea that Microsoft were forced into their hyper aggressive acquisition strategy because of Sony locking down third party content is bizarre, not least because Microsoft repeatedly engage in the practice themselves.

What's bizarre about it?
Your competitor is cutting away possibilities for your new found strategy, then MS adjusted their methods.
Now Sony needs to adjust their strategy again to keep competing, that's how this works and will continue to happen time and time again.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox is my third console of choice.

They are 10,000 percent right in their response lol.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
What's bizarre about it?
Your competitor is cutting away possibilities for your new found strategy, then MS adjusted their methods.
Now Sony needs to adjust their strategy again to keep competing, that's how this works and will continue to happen time and time again.

Except constant escalation isn't actually possible, is it?

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's because of the certainty that MS will increase prices at some point. It's a valid concern, but the continued success of $70 games has shown that companies are happy and brave enough to raise prices to screw the customer, streaming success or not. No one is on the consumer's side perpetually, so settling for the 'one right now' is the only thing you can do really.
Absolutely a valid concern and the backbone that underpins our capitalistic society but at the same time Game Pass' success of shaking up the distribution model in the gaming industry will, at least in the short term, benefit consumers by spurring competition and necessitating the market to adapt to them.

There's always a point at where consumers start to become exploited as price points and services become less beneficial but more options to consume content and levelling the playing field is a necessity, IMO, in an industry that has milked people dry for far too long.

That poster seems to take issue with Microsoft "undercutting" the competition though and I think it's a shortsighted take that fails to understand or acknowledge Microsoft's current position in the industry. Subscription models rely on incentivizing consumers to adopt a service and retain it which is exactly what they're focusing on through the acquisitions and deals they've made/provide.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Through the XB1 generation Sony had such a strong market position they were able to exploit it to make these deals far more cheaply than MS could because of the respective cost of cutting out or restricting the opposing platform.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
A few of the points are actually pretty damning for Sony and not the other way around comparing the two threads (with understanding we are looking at this with a certain POV).

Using your position to lock out products of a competitor's market (aka locking out games from being on Gamepass) is much more anti-competitive than purchasing a non-direct competitor or a supplier in the chain. I'll point to Microsoft and Internet Explore/Windows. One a surface level it's almost the same thing. If Microsoft can prove that is the case with Sony, that would be the nail in the coffin if I was on any of the board reviews.

Only purchasing supplier in the chain is anticompetitive. Keeping games off Gamepass is anti-consumer but exclusive product is 100% okay with current anti-trust laws.

Mar 6, 2021
Saint Louis
Maybes it's been mentioned within this thread, but I found it interesting that Microsoft made sure to say the CoD would still be available in a buy-to-play format on PlayStation consoles.

It is like Microsoft is saying, hey you can have my bishop right now, but I just confirmed taking your queen next move.

To clarify, Call of Duty will continue to be available to buy on PlayStation consoles. But since Microsoft is envisioning a sub-to-play future that is not tied to a single device, they still have essentially tied up CoD exclusivity for Gamepass as consoles slowly fade away from the equation. So not only will the get that sweet sweet CoD PlayStation purchase revenue in the short-term, they have also essentially cut off one of the biggest IP in America from their biggest competitor in the long-term.

Its definitely interesting. Xbox is and has been, playing the long game with all their acquisitions and this shift in focus to Gamepass. A strategy that is working out for them. If their bet is that the future is more of a sub future (with buy to play always being an option, just smaller) then their wording would allow them to make is exclusive from a sub standpoint. Means nothing now, but 5 -10 years from now, could have major impact.

I def dont think its the sole reason, but it is a factor. Normally it would not have been a big deal, but when paired with the Xbox One gen and MS's shift in gaming perspective, it does become more of a point. At the end of the day, in the context of the second half of last gen, Xbox basically had to rebuild itself. It lacked 1st party studios, lacked the market share, and with Sony money hatting, lacked 3rd party (obviously that's a bit hyperbolic but ya get the point). So, while MS definitely did Money hat during the 360, Sony was never at the lvl Xbox was in the One era. The PS3 even began to eclipse the 360 near the tail end of the gen.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Era like one of the most capitalist-critical gaming-oriented spaces on the Internet?

Why is there such a tacit celebration of the American supergiant literally personal data-selling company Microsoft buying everything and undercutting every competitor to bleed the competition to death?

I swear I feel like I'm being gaslit by the entire planet; surely someone can see through this bullshit?

I can assure you, MS buying or not buying ABK has no bearing on how hyper capitalist Microsoft are, and the tech and gaming industry is.

Lucini

Oct 27, 2017
The people who are console warring or getting upset about this response are ignoring that this was just lawyers doing what lawyers do. They had to respond to the statements, they logically pointed out flaws in the SIE reasoning and advocated for their preferred result.

All the hand wringing and pointing out the things that "both sides" do is pointless. This is dry, emotionless logic meant only to persuade a regulatory body. Now if someone could get Phil to dish on a podcast...I'd like to hear that.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Thread watched. This is sort of turning into a legendary thread, and it'll be interesting to look back to in the future.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Sony knows full well they lost their untouchable stranglehold on the console market and are just stamping their feet at this point

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
Equally hilarious and sad to see people hyped and championing this stuff with gif reactions...

DuvalDevil

Nov 18, 2020
Microsoft is right and it's been clear since the day this deal was announced.

The biggest thing this deal has regarding Sony is that their #1 market position is in trouble. It's not anticompetitive to disrupt markets and Sony's not even innocent in using it's actual clear market advantage to stifle Xbox's growth.

Spot on. Sony just doesn't want to lose it's strong market position. They made themselves comfortable and are scared that another company could take their spot.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Isn't Era like one of the most capitalist-critical gaming-oriented spaces on the Internet?

Why is there such a tacit celebration of the American supergiant literally personal data-selling company Microsoft buying everything and undercutting every competitor to bleed the competition to death?

I swear I feel like I'm being gaslit by the entire planet; surely someone can see through this bullshit?
I'm personally in favor of the acquisition because it literally benefits me. I don't care about MS financials, I care that as someone who subscribes to Game Pass for a very low price, I'll get access to previous and future Acti-Blizz titles free of additional charges.

Incidentally, I also support it on the grounds it's the only way to remove Kotick from office, apparently.

Mister_X

Aug 22, 2020
Wish I could see that redacted portion. Probably really juicy. Anyway MS lawyers are doing their jobs…and doing it really well.

Hopefully a decision is made on this acquisition soon. Don't see it being rejected

HonestAbe

May 19, 2020

I figure it's sort of like a cycle race. The leader is peddling hard moving the pack forward. Then the leader is like, "This sucks. Lets all coast". So they start to coast making that coasting sound bikes make when you stop peddling notifying back markers they are no longer peddling but coasting. However, someone doesn't get the message and, in fact, peddles harder.

Last edited:

y0shizawa

May 3, 2021
I own both. Still think it would suck if call of duty got exclusived on Xbox platforms. Still think Sony's point is weird or at the very least poorly worded.

Exclusivity on traditionally multi platform releases only hurts consumers.

Oct 30, 2017
I don't agree. I think there's a difference between purchasing an entire studio, meaning you take on their debts and all development costs, and paying another studio a few million dollars to prevent a game releasing somewhere else.

If you don't, then hey that's okay. Different opinions and all that.

Purchasing a very publishing arm carries some risk, but ultimately, it gives them infinite more leverage to wield against the competition than an occasional timed exclusive.

At the end of the day, the effect on the competitors and consumers is worse.

Oct 25, 2017

Didn't you know Microsoft bought Activsion Blizzard to combat Final Fantasy 7 Remake and the Spider-Man DLC in Avengers exclusivity.

Jul 22, 2022
INB4 people start saying Stadia is bigger than PlayStation because its owned by Google.
"Hey, that's different"

The game's not going exclusive.
Who knows? With COD we have Warzone 1, Warzone 2, F2P zombie and a bunch of contractually obligated COD games...Those are certainly not exclusive for sure. Everything else is up in the air.

they will not operate Xbox at a loss forever,
I am pretty sure that Xbox does not operate in the loss and the acquisitions do not count as Xbox expenses either. Microsoft makes 200b in revenue per year. Xbox is at 8% of their revenue right. Literally invisible for shareholders to care.

They are not an "underdog".
In gaming space - they are.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
boom-denzel.gif
Yeah. That's where I was like…oh, Sony's just real upset that the sub service will look too attractive for the average gamer.

I wonder what the long term effects of the subscription service are to their several hundred million dollar games will be. Can Sony continue to invest that much if they lose some more market share? I wonder that the tipping point will be. I'm neither here nor there, I buy the big Sony games and kinda get everything else on Xbox or PC, so I guess it could affect me down the road. Very interesting times indeed.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Purchasing a very publishing arm carries some risk, but ultimately, it gives them infinite more leverage to wield against the competition than an occasional timed exclusive.

At the end of the day, the effect on the competitors and consumers is worse.
Worse effect on consumers? Which consumers?

Do you mean Ps consumers who have been used to getting exclusive cod deals like early access maps, or possibly even the entire campaign this year.

Do you mean Xbox consumers who've had to wait months for certain maps or game modes?

Or do you mean consumers that subscribe to gamepass, who will now have access to the game for a very affordable price?

Jul 22, 2022
Didn't you know Microsoft bought Activsion Blizzard to combat Final Fantasy 7 Remake and the Spider-Man DLC in Avengers exclusivity.
So you are trying to undermine the damage that Sony's moneyhats did?
Why is the effect on consumers worse?
They won't be able to pay those juicy 70$ and 10$ for upgrades /s

Do you mean Ps consumers who have been used to getting exclusive cod deals like early access maps, or possibly even the entire campaign this year.
Don't forget exclusive modes

Oct 30, 2017
I own both. Still think it would suck if call of duty got exclusived on Xbox platforms. Still think Sony's point is weird or at the very least poorly worded.

Exclusivity on traditionally multi platform releases only hurts consumers.
Right.

And MS would be just as irked if the converse happened.

Big brands like COD over XBL have certainly built them a strong brand over the years. If they lost COD during the XB1 days, they'd have been in some real serious trouble.