• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Era like one of the most capitalist-critical gaming-oriented spaces on the Internet?

Why is there such a tacit celebration of the American supergiant literally personal data-selling company Microsoft buying everything and undercutting every competitor to bleed the competition to death?

I swear I feel like I'm being gaslit by the entire planet; surely someone can see through this bullshit?

Microsoft doesn't sell personal data.

Yeona

Banned
Jan 19, 2021
Nothing really unsurprising here but thanks Idas for writing this all up.

Sony are just scared Microsoft will do to them what they regularly do to Microsoft, and did to Sega.
Their complaints are understandable but I doubt they will hold any water

Sony never undercut the competition to the extent MS is doing right now -- they could never afford to. At the end of the day they still offered the same product at the same price.

Almost every exclusive Sony's had for two or three generations was entirely funded by them; it wasn't a question of paying the keep a game away, it was a question of paying to make the game in the first place. No different than what Nintendo did with Bayonetta 2 basically. Those games would not have been made otherwise.

It's silly to compare paying like FromSoft or whatever, like 100 million bucks to make a Soulslike exclusive, and buying one of the biggest PC gaming publishers in gaming history for 69 billion dollars. I mean it's self-evidently silly.

Microsoft doesn't sell personal data.

loooool

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Era like one of the most capitalist-critical gaming-oriented spaces on the Internet?

Why is there such a tacit celebration of the American supergiant literally personal data-selling company Microsoft buying everything and undercutting every competitor to bleed the competition to death?

I swear I feel like I'm being gaslit by the entire planet; surely someone can see through this bullshit?
The domino meme where the little domino is "Is Gamepass legal?" and then the last domino is "Yeah you get 'em Phil, look at how Sony Brazil is getting destroyed"

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017

How is what you say any different than what Sony is doing since as MS says they are paying for blocking rights.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019

The problem here is the intentional misreads from folks where they see this as people "celebrating" the situation to establish a position of moral superiority. These hyper capitalist acquisitions are made with or without Era's input, and we're here reacting the fallout of the decisions. Some of the fallout is disgusting. Some of the fallout is juicy. Some of the fallout is downright entertaining. But nobody is in this thread like "yeah, FUCK YEAH, let's go Microsoft!"

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020

Where does Microsoft sell personal data?

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019

Currently a single company completely dominates and controls the gaming scene, and it's not Microsoft. At least in reference to the present, this is an increase in competition within this market.

Also, this is mostly unrelated to workers owning the means of production. Acquisitions and merges would still happen even if every company was run as a co-op.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Yeah, both companies pull this kind of shit. And they always try to act like the other company is the villain for doing what they're also doing. The shoe has literally been on both feet over the past 20 years of the industry and both of them are massive hypocrites about exclusivity.

Do we have hard evidence that ms also prevents games from releasing on Ps plus btw? I'm not saying they don't, but I don't think we've seen documentation yet that they do. If we have though, then please ignore.

Literally all three console makers do this. Microsoft does it, Sony does it, and Nintendo does it. This is not a "Sony strategy", it's basic gaming industry strategy.

As for this, I'm sorry but I don't equate the exclusivity deals the three of them do. I know people here love to pretend otherwise, but unknown exclusivity times for deathloop, ff7re/16, sfv, TGW, Forspoken, Destiny 2 and more are not the same as a few months for deaths door, rogue legacy 2, the medium, Stalker 2, Ashen, and most id@Xbox games.

WhiskerFrisker

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
And the thing is, they're more than capable of doing so. Sony have the studios, player-base and experience to be able to do it. They should just suck it up and give it a shot. You never know they could create the next CoD-killer.

The weirdest thing is the fact they never tried for the best part of a decade upto now...
You can't create a COD Killer. COD is a brand that has to die on its on, there won't be a game people drops COD for.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How is what you say any different than what Sony is doing since as MS says they are paying for blocking rights.
There is clearly no comparison to be made between a one-time arrangement for temporary limitations about how a game can be offered on other platforms and a permanent purchase of a major publisher and permanently locking many of the previously multiplatform games they make to your own platform. Like Sony buying a year of exclusivity for Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo are obviously in no way comparable to Microsoft buying Bethesda and permanently ensuring that Starfield will never be available on Playstation

boogerbrain51

Nov 3, 2020
I can't read through this much text without my eyes starting to bleed, but from the highlights I'm able to glean out of the juggernaut of text, basically Microsoft is saying that they don't think making the games fully exclusive to their platform would be profitable enough to make up for the money lost from taking them off of rival platforms, so they think that the acquisition should still be allowed to go through as long as they stick to their word about continuing to support other platforms?

It's also very funny to me that Microsoft is trying to spend this much money on Activision only to go "nah, Call of Duty isn't that important, you guys". If it wasn't that important, you wouldn't be spending more money on a buyout than any gaming company in history has ever spent.
I dont understand what Microsoft why Microsoft needs to buy ACTBLIZZ when they can just get smaller studios that put out better games than what ACTBLIZZ has put out in the recent years. Microsoft is just buying a whole publisher is mad silly and lazy too me

pyxl_8

Oct 27, 2017
It does seem weird to see Microsoft's lawyers play the "Sony doesn't want the games-for-subscription model to threaten their business" card as some sort of zinger when they are literally in that business and have been for longer than Microsoft themselves.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
And the thing is, they're more than capable of doing so. Sony have the studios, player-base and experience to be able to do it. They should just suck it up and give it a shot. You never know they could create the next CoD-killer.

The weirdest thing is the fact they never tried for the best part of a decade upto now...
It's not that simple. None of their first parties bar Insomniac and Guerilla even have experience developing fps. Their player base primarily buy online third party games like COD, GTA, FIFA etc before first party games. A serious attempt at COD would take at least 3-6years while Activision have set up a rotation around 3 developers to have COD developed efficiently. Sony have far less experience with Gaas than Activision. And even if everything goes to plan and it's a success, as long as that year's Cod entry isn't complete garbage, people will still buy it in droves and it will still outsell Sony's attempt because most of Playstation's base are there for the third party games first and foremost.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017

I don't know why you're laughing. They do not sell personal data. They aren't one of the new upstarts that were desperately looking for profitability. They've been incredibly profitable their entire existence off of services and software.

They're also an enterprise focused company, meaning data security/integrity is incredibly important in attracting their clients.

Oct 30, 2017

People love this "MS is an underdog" narrative.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
It does seem weird to see Microsoft's lawyers play the "Sony doesn't want the games-for-subscription model to threaten their business" card as some sort of zinger when they are literally in that business and have been for longer than Microsoft themselves.
I believe they're specifically talking about a subscription business model that gives you access to games day one.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018

WTH is this?

Sony is on top 1-2 of the gaming industry. Even after AB buyout, Xbox will be like #3.

HelloItsPulse

Dec 14, 2017
A lot of corporate mumbo-jumbo, but i really doubt that Microsoft don't have some kind of "blocking" clauses for Game Pass deals.

It's not like they don't sign exclusive deals too.
They do console exclusive deals (Death's Door, Tunic, Rogue Legacy 2) that last for like 6 months or so nowadays, but I don't think Game Pass has any sort of exclusivity clauses. For example, the entire Yakuza series has been on Game Pass for quite some time, with some getting readded like a month ago. Now those same games have been announced for PS+. I don't think there has been enough time to really see how the two services will affect each other.

Yeona

Banned
Jan 19, 2021
The problem here is the intentional misreads from folks where they see this as people "celebrating" the situation to establish a position of moral superiority. These hyper capitalist acquisitions are made with or without Era's input, and we're here reacting the fallout of the decisions. Some of the fallout is disgusting. Some of the fallout is juicy. Some of the fallout is downright entertaining. But nobody is in this thread like "yeah, FUCK YEAH, let's go Microsoft!"

Hahahaha

OK man.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I believe their argument is in the Game Pass model, which was only brought about with PS+ Extra. Not the claim 2 games per month style brought in with the PS3 era. Accessing a full library of games via sub. And their argument is the threat is amplified with the inclusion of first party day 1 titles threatening their buy-to-own dominance.

Oct 30, 2017
Sony never undercut the competition to the extent MS is doing right now -- they could never afford to. At the end of the day they still offered the same product at the same price.

Almost every exclusive Sony's had for two or three generations was entirely funded by them; it wasn't a question of paying the keep a game away, it was a question of paying to make the game in the first place. No different than what Nintendo did with Bayonetta 2 basically. Those games would not have been made otherwise.

It's silly to compare paying like FromSoft or whatever, like 100 million bucks to make a Soulslike exclusive, and buying one of the biggest PC gaming publishers in gaming history for 69 billion dollars. I mean it's self-evidently silly.
Yeah.

It reminds me a lot of "Oh I guess acquisitions are good now" comments when Housemarque was bought in relation to Bethesda. As if they are in anyway comparable.

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021

I hope you don't use almost every piece of tech, guess what this website is probably selling your data along with the other hundred websites you visit every week, that twitter,facebook,whatsapp,instagram,netflix,amazon prime,email address pretty much everything is collecting your data and selling it on. If something is free, you're the product after all.

This entire post is cringe, sorry and seems super reactionary.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
How do you buy the largest video game company after 25 years in the business and still call your console business a failure, who you fooling?
And what arguments against the acquisition could google, nintendo and Apple make when one dont have COD on its platform and the rest can give 2 shits about the console space?

Also Sony, cut the shit out you gonna still literally dominate in the space.

samcastor

Apr 21, 2021
Since 2009 through 2021, a different CoD has been the highest selling game every year except for 2 (both times a rockstar game took the spot). Yes, there are many genre/categories that probably cannot compete with just CoD year to year. If CoD is not big enough for a franchise to be a tipping point, absolutely nothing is. I am not saying that Sony is right and that he acquisition should be blocked, but other FPS are not really competing with CoD when it comes to value for platform holders.

Oct 27, 2017
Going out of your way to block content from being able to appear on competing subscription services is such a shitty and anti-consumer driven practice.

Glad it was referenced.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
As for this, I'm sorry but I don't equate the exclusivity deals the three of them do. I know people here love to pretend otherwise, but unknown exclusivity times for deathloop, ff7re/16, sfv, TGW, Forspoken, Destiny 2 and more are not the same as a few months for deaths door, rogue legacy 2, the medium, Stalker 2, Ashen, and most id@Xbox games.

It's the same stuff. Microsoft pulled the same kind of deal with Rise of the Tomb Raider last generation, tried to pretend it was permanently exclusive, and then got caught. Literally all three companies have done major exclusivity deals on third party games. Sony is not an outlier in this regard.

Hell, in the PS3/360 generation, Microsoft got the exclusivity on all the DLC for GTA4 and used it as a MASSIVE selling point for their version of the game over the PS3 version for ages. The distinction is just that right now Sony appears to be doing it more frequently than Microsoft, but at the end of the day no console maker is innocent of this behavior.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Stunning rebuttal from the person making blanket statements about the entire forum in this thread.
Consider for a moment that perhaps everyone inherently understands that corporate consolidation is bad and that this isn't a celebratory thread, but rather a thread finding entertainment where we can in getting a peak under the rock to see the worms writhe.
Preposterous!

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017

Consider for a moment that perhaps everyone inherently understands that corporate consolidation is bad and that this isn't a celebratory thread, but rather a thread finding entertainment where we can in getting a peak under the rock to see the worms writhe.

In short, big corporations suck:

giphy.webp

Yeona

Banned
Jan 19, 2021
Currently a single company completely dominates and controls the gaming scene, and it's not Microsoft. At least in reference to the present, this is an increase in competition within this market.

Also, this is mostly unrelated to workers owning the means of production. Acquisitions and merges would still happen even if every company was run as a co-op.

You mean the Apple Store and Google Play? Because that's the vast majority of the slice of the pie as far as revenue goes in the gaming space. If you're talking about console gaming, all three platforms are doing phenomenal, so I have no idea what you mean here.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Quote from source: "Almost literal, MS says that: "In short, Sony is not resigned to having to compete with Microsoft's subscription service. Sony's public outcry on subscription games and the company's response are clear: Sony doesn't want attractive subscription services to threaten its dominance in the market for digital distribution of console games. In other words, Sony rails against the introduction of new monetization models capable of challenging its business model".​

giphy_s.gif

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
There is clearly no comparison to be made between a one-time arrangement for temporary limitations about how a game can be offered on other platforms and a permanent purchase of a major publisher and permanently locking many of the previously multiplatform games they make to your own platform. Like Sony buying a year of exclusivity for Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo are obviously in no way comparable to Microsoft buying Bethesda and permanently ensuring that Starfield will never be available on Playstation

Right?? These comparisons are silly. Sony is tying up a few unreleased games here and there for X amount of time to strengthen their brand in specific segments. MS bought the biggest revenue driver in Sony's ecosystem.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
I wonder if the game pass blocking deals were for games that were on PS Now, or if it was just a blanket "no subscription services including ours" kind of deal.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't read through this much text without my eyes starting to bleed, but from the highlights I'm able to glean out of the juggernaut of text, basically Microsoft is saying that they don't think making the games fully exclusive to their platform would be profitable enough to make up for the money lost from taking them off of rival platforms, so they think that the acquisition should still be allowed to go through as long as they stick to their word about continuing to support other platforms?

It's also very funny to me that Microsoft is trying to spend this much money on Activision only to go "nah, Call of Duty isn't that important, you guys". If it wasn't that important, you wouldn't be spending more money on a buyout than any gaming company in history has ever spent.
MS aren't saying it's not important, they're saying it's not enough for them to come anywhere close to a monopoly.

And MS are spot on about Sony, theyre upset that pay-to-play model (which Sony dominate) will be impacted and are trying to raise issue with MS potentially changing how products are consumed not because they're being anti competitive.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
It's the same stuff. Microsoft pulled the same kind of deal with Rise of the Tomb Raider last generation, tried to pretend it was permanently exclusive, and then got caught. Literally all three companies have done major exclusivity deals on third party games. Sony is not an outlier in this regard.

Hell, in the PS3/360 generation, Microsoft got the exclusivity on all the DLC for GTA4 and used it as a MASSIVE selling point for their version of the game over the PS3 version for ages. The distinction is just that right now Sony appears to be doing it more frequently than Microsoft, but at the end of the day no console maker is innocent of this behavior.
So this is always the response that comes after someone points out the difference in timed exclusivty. First is tomb raider, which I fully agree was a stupid thing to do and ms got blasted for it, deservedly.

And then the second is bringing up tactics from near 10 years ago. Yes they did it a lot in the 360 days and it sucked then too.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
It's not that simple. None of their first parties bar Insomniac and Guerilla even have experience developing fps. Their player base primarily buy online third party games like COD, GTA, FIFA etc before first party games. A serious attempt at COD would take at least 3-6years while Activision have set up a rotation around 3 developers to have COD developed efficiently. Sony have far less experience with Gaas than Activision. And even if everything goes to plan and it's a success, as long as that year's Cod entry isn't complete garbage, people will still buy it in droves and it will still outsell Sony's attempt because most of Playstation's base are there for the third party games first and foremost.

A lot of hero shooters and Battle Royale games just passed Sony by when they were raking in the PS4 money. And it astounds me they did nothing to protect their competitive advantage by providing some kind of similar experience for their PlayStation customers that they wholely owned.

Sony aren't Microsoft big but they have experience and large amounts money, they had a very, very long time to respond to this risk, then build the GaaS/shooter capability that they seem to think is impossible for them to do. Even Blizzard managed to do this. whilst CoD was killing it.

Basically you're saying:
  • Sony don't have the experience in FPS
  • They don't have the GaaS experience.
  • They don't have the time.
I'm saying they're the biggest console platform on the planet, with one of the longest legacies and most loyal fanbases. They do have the capability, they just couldn't be bothered to try.

Last edited:

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Right?? These comparisons are silly. Sony is tying up a few unreleased games here and there for X amount of time to strengthen their brand in specific segments. MS bought the biggest revenue driver in Sony's ecosystem.
Sony has seemingly bought Final Fantasy exclusivity in perpetuity.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
You mean the Apple Store and Google Play? Because that's the vast majority of the slice of the pie as far as revenue goes in the gaming space. If you're talking about console gaming, all three platforms are doing phenomenal, so I have no idea what you mean here.
The moment you include Apple and Google, this comes even further away from the fantasy of MS bleeding the competition to death.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I wonder if the game pass blocking deals were for games that were on PS Now, or if it was just a blanket "no subscription services including ours" kind of deal.
Sony wouldn't say "Hey you can't put this game on any sub including PS+!" lol. It's competitor services they block them from. See: Leaked Resident Evil 8 contract. When you make a deal to market a game on your platform you want it to be related back to your brand and services. Just makes business sense.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Since 2009 through 2021, a different CoD has been the highest selling game every year except for 2 (both times a rockstar game took the spot). Yes, there are many genre/categories that probably cannot compete with just CoD year to year. If CoD is not big enough for a franchise to be a tipping point, absolutely nothing is. I am not saying that Sony is right and that he acquisition should be blocked, but other FPS are not really competing with CoD when it comes to value for platform holders.
And for the past 3-4 years, the top selling console platform for those calendar years hasn't had a call of duty title meaning it's not a necessity to compete in the space of gaming.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Microsoft clapping back at exclusive content on Sony systems should really go back and take a look at how shitty MS was with exclusive content during the 360/ps3 days.

Edit: yes it's not as bad as it is now with year long deals but they still opened the Pandora's box on this bullshit.

Mayjur

Feb 7, 2021
I know people here love to pretend otherwise, but unknown exclusivity times for deathloop, ff7re/16, sfv, TGW, Forspoken, Destiny 2

All console makers are guilty of doing this, it has been like this since the PS3/Xbox 360 era. This is not something that's entirely exclusive to Sony.