• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, definitely not. I could maybe see MS floating the idea of putting it on Switch/PS5, but Sony and Nintendo wouldn't agree to it. There's really not much reason to since it'd cut into their revenue. Especially not with Sony just because I think it's more likely that they attempt to evolve PSNow more into a Game Pass like service at some point in the next year or two.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Hell nah. The profit sharing required would make it next to impossible. People playing gamepass on switch or ps5 are less likely to buy games companies paid nintendo/sony to licence for their systems. In this increasingly digital age, that's a much bigger profit margin to throw away so another company can get subs. How does that benefit sony or nintendo?

Why does MS need to buy into those platforms at all? They have their own consoles for those that want the box, and literally everyone else has a tablet or phone they will inevitably stream to in the future. They don't need those platforms, they just need people to sign up and break that barrier of learning how to stream. When every TV is a smart TV, it just gets even more pointless to appeal to the competition. All they need is the net infrastructure to catch up

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pointless.

Phones, smart TVs and streaming boxes/sticks are all devices most people have that wouldn't require extensive deal cutting and negotiation.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
The original founding purpose of Xbox is to prevent Sony from having a monopoly on the television with a PC like console.

Microsoft will never put gamepass on a Sony platform. Nintendo, maybe a streaming version ala Android.

joshcam19

Nov 11, 2017
That's definitely where they want to go if Sony/Nintendo allow for it. They clearly would love to get out of the hardware space.

Oct 29, 2017
PlayStation? Never. Sony will never allow it; they will never support their most bitter rival.

Nintendo? Possible. They're not in direct competition with each other and actually have a very good working relationship already.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
In a way, I can nearly feel for Microsoft. Despite the huge amount of money, they get trounced by Sony and Nintendo in the console space, and by Steam on the PC space.

The video game industry is tough huh ?

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
It's easier to put it on your TV and not have to compete for your attention with Sony and Nintendo games.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Putting GP onto a £450 console isn't removing barriers to the broader market. They want it on stuff like Firestick and built into TV operating systems.

I've said it before but at some point this generation I wouldn't be surprised to see them release their own streaming stick bundled with a controller for around £70-80. Hell they could even sell it at a loss as it'd be purely subscription based.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
In a way, I can nearly feel for Microsoft. Despite the huge amount of money, they get trounced by Sony and Nintendo in the console space, and by Steam on the PC space.

Having money isn't the metric for dominance success.

Sees bing, windows phone, lumia, zune, msnbc, etc....

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida

Don't feel bad. While Sony (or Tencent) top the charts MS is still massive despite xbox's popularity along with companies like Google and Apple. The companies making the most from gaming would looks weird to most gamers.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they have to consider decoupling from Xbox hardware for that to work?

I coudl potentialy see a service on switch/PS but I think it only works if MS aren't also competing as an entire ecosystem with hardware alongside those consoles. If they were software only it becomes more like EA play or Netflix.

I do like the value in having local boxes to play on, so that would either mean ports to switch/PS so I can download and play (and not insist on streaming), or perhaps MS licenses Xboxes for others to make as 'the streaming box that can also download stuff', or even keeps Xboxes around but only as gamepass boxes - remove the store to avoid direct competition.

Those things I'm not sure I can see MS doing - part of Gamepass being profitable is surely also upselling DLC, full games after they leave the service, and people buying games from publishers after playing other titles on GP. Gamepass purely being a standalone service I don't know if that makes financial sense right now so MS would still want/need that additional income from the store. They wouldn't get that from a switch/PS hosted service if people go and buy the game from their store.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Microsoft, even despite what they say publically, is that interested in having Game Pass on Playstation in particular.

Now that the game division has the green light from the higher ups to spend big money on acquisitions like Bethesda, I don't think for the immediate future they really have as much interest on putting content on Playstation devices, not as much as people think.

They're going to leverage Game Pass to get more people to buy more XBox hardware.

With regards to Nintendo, I think Nintendo will eventually just work with Ubitus and most big ticket 3rd party games being available to play on Switch will become fairly common that way, and I think Nintendo is fine with that. They get their license fee cut and don't have to share.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Id say no but Netflix went from 100 mil subs to 200 in like 5 years. Games is more niche than movie but if the value prop is there they could pull 50 million subs and that's a lot of monthly capital for aggressive action even if not al subs are USD or other high currencies

Oct 27, 2017
Let me ask the hard-hitting questions.

If it comes to PlayStation and I play a game through Game Pass... what do I unlock?

Trophies? Count me in.

Achievements? Hard pass.

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't benefit Sony or Nintendo very much, unless they got a neutered GamePass that only had MS games. And even then it still wouldn't be all that beneficial. So no.

Jun 13, 2020
Of course not, Sony is their main competitor. Why do you think they spent billions to buy Bethesda and are trying do hard to expand their first party studios? They wouldn't put any of that stuff on Sony's consoles.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Gamepass no, it's a bundle to rent tailored by and for MS. But XGS games why not, depending on the scenario you are choosing.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
God of War sold roughly 20 million copies. The answer is no.

Edit: misunderstood thread topic and thought it was asking if these platforms would get their own versions of gamepass instead of MS's gamepass. The answer is still no, the amount sony and especially nintendo would demand from a cut of profits would be enough so that MS doesn't make a profit off gamepass at all. Hell I don't think gamepass has made a profit as is.

EmmaDansTonU

Nov 27, 2020
It's not coming to Switch or PlayStation.
Putting it on Smart TVs achieves that aim of 'removing barriers'.

You don't need an xbox or PC to access Gamepass today. It's already on mobile phones via streaming.
it'll be on low power laptops and smart TVs via streaming.

When you realize this means making xbox fully third party, you'd see how unlikely this is.

'Relatively near future' is this gen.
What if you can 't stream? What if you don't want to play on a smartphone with tiny screen ? What if you have an iOS?

i'l personally consider game pass on switch, but I won't for pc, smartphone or streaming

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What if you can 't stream? What if you don't want to play on a smartphone with tiny screen ? What if you have an iOS?

i'l personally consider game pass on switch, but I won't for pc, smartphone or streaming

Then get an Xbox. It's not really that complicated.

Even in the miniscule chance that it came to switch, it's going to be streaming. Microsoft aren't going to be able to make it get the rights to giving away native switch versions, lol.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya

I have GP just to play in my phone and it is not a good experience, may be decent for a few games, but needs a big screen app/pc asap or will be worthless.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Gamepass success on mobile/ios will be more important than on dedicated hardware in the long run.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Sony will not allow MS into their walled garden to spend Sony users time and money teaching them about products outside of Sony's platform.

It's a crazy way to cannibalise your own business.

Zephon

Dec 10, 2017
Not everyone has a PlayStation, more people have TVs and mobile phones. I think Microsoft is thinking bigger scale than PlayStation user base only.

BitterFig

Oct 30, 2017
Why everyone makes an exception with thid party games? If Microsoft adheres to PlayStation's guidelines (trophies, psn integration etc), why would Sony say no? Doesn't EA also have a sub that includes non EA games or is this PC only?

FisherTea

May 24, 2020
Not sure where the argument that Sony won't accept it comes from. Nintendo sure, but Sony already has allowed EA Play which basically does the same thing but for EA games.

Edit: Microsoft can remove the heavy ties to the Xbox ecosystem and sell it as a 'game sub' and that would make it work surely.