• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
It would showcase the power of the system it would be fine
If a gamer is interested in playing Halo and Call of Duty, Flight Simulator will showcase a Series X for maybe a couple of hours tops. Flight simulators have been graphical showcases for a very long time, and they've never been major sellers for a reason.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Nicely done Microsoft. Windows Store is really the worst store I've ever experienced. I had installation issues with Gears 5, Gears Tactics and Sea of Thieves (these issues were automatically resolved a few days after each game's release, which proves how f'ed up this store really is). Funny thing is that the game is installed in E:\ and I've set all applications to be installed in E:\ (so again, don't know why the store tries to access a file in C:\ ).

ltKftnd.jpg
Sorry man. Yeah the Windows Store app is hot flaming pile of shits.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
If a gamer is interested in playing Halo and Call of Duty, Flight Simulator will showcase a Series X for maybe a couple of hours tops. Flight simulators have been graphical showcases for a very long time, and they've never been major sellers for a reason.
Good thing this one doesn't have to sell as it would be on gamepass.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
People seeming to argue against even the presence of beautiful, distinct, highly regarded games because they're not as popular as Call of Duty are honestly one of the most embarrassing parts of the hobby.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
Good thing this one doesn't have to sell as it would be on gamepass.
Making the game available to more people isn't really going to do anything to change the audience mismatch. As I said, I do hope I'm wrong because I love the idea of flight sims even though I don't play them any more. But I do wonder how many of you who don't play flight sims will stick with this game as opposed to trying it out for a couple of hours and then dropping it in favor of something that better matches your interests.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Making the game available to more people isn't really going to do anything to change the audience mismatch. As I said, I do hope I'm wrong because I love the idea of flight sims even though I don't play them any more. But I do wonder how many of you who don't play flight sims will stick with this game as opposed to trying it out for a couple of hours and then dropping it in favor of something that better matches your interests.

Good thing you're keeping tabs on everyone. You seem really concerned about it. Wouldn't want the wrong people playing it for the wrong reasons.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Wow, amazing reviews.

Too bad my PC can't do it justice now, but soon I'll get a new one. Is there a "casual mode"?

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
Good thing you're keeping tabs on everyone. You seem really concerned about it. Wouldn't want the wrong people playing it for the wrong reasons.
What in the world is wrong with you, and why are you taking things so personally?

I honestly want this game to do great and that more people open their eyes to flight sims. I love the idea of games like Falcon 4.0 existing and that games like DCS still get made, and I know a bunch of people who love playing these games. However, these are still flight sims and it's just not a very casual friendly genre. And so I'm skeptical that it's going to be much of a hit. That doesn't take away from wishing the best for the developers with this game and that more people will enjoy it though.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
What an amazing technical achievement.

Im not to into flight sims, but I'm keen on seeing this tech make its way into other games.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
You can also set the AI to fully take over at any part of the flight, start to stop.

Helps while you're learning the ropes.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, amazing reviews.

Too bad my PC can't do it justice now, but soon I'll get a new one. Is there a "casual mode"?
Nothing explicitly called "casual mode" but you're able to simplify or complicate your flight at will. You can go through the entire pre-flight checklist or start on the runway, ready for takeoff. You can even start in midair. Landings can be simplified as well. There are even autopilot settings if you want the computer to handle stuff.

It's more of a sandbox than a traditional game.

Deleted member 8136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nicely done Microsoft. Windows Store is really the worst store I've ever experienced. I had installation issues with Gears 5, Gears Tactics and Sea of Thieves (these issues were automatically resolved a few days after each game's release, which proves how f'ed up this store really is). Funny thing is that the game is installed in E:\ and I've set all applications to be installed in E:\ (so again, don't know why the store tries to access a file in C:\ ).

ltKftnd.jpg

Did you get this resolved? I have the very same error message.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017

ltKftnd.jpg

Yeah the store has too many issues still, its too integrated into Windows. Im guessing its because it's expecting the game in C:\ I've seen a few games have issues with that when installed in other locations.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
im not sure there is a casual mode but there are difficulty options.
Nothing explicitly called "casual mode" but you're able to simplify or complicate your flight at will. You can go through the entire pre-flight checklist or start on the runway, ready for takeoff. You can even start in midair. Landings can be simplified as well. There are even autopilot settings if you want the computer to handle stuff.

It's more of a sandbox than a traditional game.

Thanks!

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty excited about this title, but mostly because my father-in-law will probably really enjoy it. Apparently he put countless hours into Flight Sim X. Considering arranging a Series X + this game as a gift on Christmas.

That said, anybody else think it's weird seeing people bragging about this "game's" meta on Twitter? I've never thought of Microsoft Flight Sim as a game. My father-in-law would probably stake his life on Flight Sim X not being a game (note he has an unreal aversion to the idea of spending his time playing video games) . It's really it's own medium - simulation / tool or similar is it not? Happy to be educated if I'm wrong.

It doesn't make it any less of a technological feat, just that bragging about it being game of the year seems curious.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
I'm pretty excited about this title, but mostly because my father-in-law will probably really enjoy it. Apparently he put countless hours into Flight Sim X. Considering arranging a Series X + this game as a gift on Christmas.

That said, anybody else think it's weird seeing people bragging about this "game's" meta on Twitter? I've never thought of Microsoft Flight Sim as a game. My father-in-law would probably stake his life on Flight Sim X not being a game (note he has an unreal aversion to the idea of spending his time playing video games) . It's really it's own medium - simulation / tool or similar is it not? Happy to be educated if I'm wrong.

It doesn't make it any less of a technological feat, just that bragging about it being game of the year seems curious.
It's kinda both. It's an Xbox Game Studios release that functions as a great simulator, but also a fun sandbox to fly around. The casual mode is very accessible (except landing) and took me 15 minutes to learn without tutorial. However, with full HOTAS support, customizeable options and a full blown simulation mode, it satisfies as one as well.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
What in the world is wrong with you, and why are you taking things so personally?

I honestly want this game to do great and that more people open their eyes to flight sims. I love the idea of games like Falcon 4.0 existing and that games like DCS still get made, and I know a bunch of people who love playing these games. However, these are still flight sims and it's just not a very casual friendly genre. And so I'm skeptical that it's going to be much of a hit. That doesn't take away from wishing the best for the developers with this game and that more people will enjoy it though.

You can go full casual in this game if you like, with plane assist, checklists etc on easy it's just as easy as setting full throttle and taking off. I mean you can to loopdiloops 200 feet above a city in a turboprop, flying under bridges etc.

You can even do bouncy landings that would probably murder passengers lol, without damaging the plane.

Just did a short flight from Paris to Reims in champagne.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Yeah the store has too many issues still, its too integrated into Windows. Im guessing its because it's expecting the game in C:\ I've seen a few games have issues with that when installed in other locations.

I don't know why anyone expected there wouldn't be issues with the Microsoft Store.

In other news, MSFS 2020 is available on Steam today.

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
Should I be worried that my download has been stuck decompressing a file at %89 completion for like 20 minutes straight? I checked task manager and it's using up %30 of my CPU resources (i7 9700k) so I'm guessing it's just unzipping the file before continuing?

Oh Christ and people are having issues with it being installed to a different drive than default? Motherfucker.

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
Should I be worried that my download has been stuck decompressing a file at %89 completion for like 20 minutes straight? I checked task manager and it's using up %30 of my CPU resources (i7 9700k) so I'm guessing it's just unzipping the file before continuing?
Had the same problem, i closed the window and launched the game again and it was done, shit is bugged.
Mine was stuck at 86gb

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean thats kerbal isnt it? what people call space sims arent sims b/c they are based on fake tech. also the thing that make this so inpressive (ai models made via sat data) are kinda pointless in space.
Nah, I want a photorealistic simulator with real historic, current and planned craft.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd also love a more arcade mode. Just dunno if the rendering tech can take it.

Let me really get some speed going. Full on free cam (not just drone mode). A GTA/Battlefield like control scheme.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
I cant get this thing to install. it constantly keeps crashing during the initial update.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017

Yup, i'm like around 15h of game as of now, i had a total of two take offs and one unwanted landing (on a mountain top that i wanted to pass over, not enough speed).

All i do is dropping myself mid-air in interesting spots (or spots that i think will be interesting) and fly around as low as possible. Following rivers, coastlines, ravines, stuff like that. Obviously with small planes only. And sometimes with other people. That's what i find fun in this game.

Going full simulation is definitely not something i have any intention of trying.