IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
EgNWdslXgAEhak8
EgNWgKtXYAE4FOT
EgNWievWkAIEd3W
EgNWhdfWAAAHAgj

Wow, these are gorgeous!

Is it possible to fly to Area 51 in the game?
Most definitely. Youtube is chock-full of videos of people flying MS Flight Sim to forbidden places like Area 51, North Korea, Epstein Island, North Sentinel Island, etc.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
On Thursday we should hear about the first FS2020 patch and what it will entail.

dragn

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
how do i get the ap to fly at the selected speed? i can only control heading, vertical speed and altitude

Mr Eric

Oct 28, 2017
Seems like some people are having a lot of fun...

(is that speed up x2?)

Last edited:

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Super neat city rendering detail I noticed is that the quantity of night lights scales depending on time of day. More floors of taller buildings will light up in the earlier hours of nightfall, but as you get later and the city sleeps a bunch dim.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
It is just hilarious that I have played a dozen hours and I still dont know shit lol

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
What a good game...can't wait to see what the patch fixes first. Everyone else seeing floating street lights at night?

M.J.

Oct 25, 2017
I fucked up landing an A320 at Sedona twice. That shit is not easy to control such a big boy and I kept messing up the turn and overstressed the plane. Thinking about it, I should have given myself more room to do the whole landing pattern, and maybe done it at a bigger airport!

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Something different from flying, an attempt at doing a comparison with a real life photo (that's been horribly processed by me).
End of the Marble Mountain range near Cadiz, California
Very dark screenshot on my part and resized, was more focused on getting the clouds just right versus actually seeing the ground.

mm_cadiz_cadrkvj.jpg

fs20200xkvc.jpg

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I fucked up landing an A320 at Sedona twice. That shit is not easy to control such a big boy and I kept messing up the turn and overstressed the plane. Thinking about it, I should have given myself more room to do the whole landing pattern, and maybe done it at a bigger airport!

Is Sedona's runway even long enough for an A320?

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
Even though I am a Medium-mode 1080p peasant, I still think this game looks quite nice:

microsoftflightsimulab7kki.png

This game is the definition of "see that mountain over there! you can go to it!" ;)

Also, I have a real weakness for usable computers/interfaces inside games... like the touchscreens in Doom or Astroneer. So discovering actual working interfaces for navigation, radio, autopilot etc in the TBM 930.... <3. I flew it from Swakopmund to Okaukuejo Airport, mostly along the coast; once I figured out the auto pilot I let it do it's thing while I pressed all of the other buttons during the trip just to see what they did.

Speaking of auto pilot, I know there are Youtube tutorials, etc, but how are you supposed to learn these things in game? Is it just via experimentation? Or is there a manual I am missing? The tutorials only seem to cover the basics of the Cessna, but I've seen videos with people doing engine starts on an Airbus and similar, not to mention all of the on board GPS, etc. How/where do you learn how to work them correctly (without needing to rely on external resources like fan made Youtube videos)?

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
What do you do if you can't see the runway?
I was doing the landing challenge where you land somewhere in Canada, and in that time of day and angle you
really can't see the runway at all, and the GPS doesn't seem to help much either. I tried using the "hold the S key" method but
that only shows you the general direction its in, not enough to line up a proper landing.

FamousLastX

Oct 25, 2017
Finally successfully landed on my first real flight, was taxiing in and the game crashed. Wasn't the first time it's crashed so was obviously quite annoyed, but turns out this time it was because at that exact moment my Antivirus decided the game (downloaded via Game Pass app) was a virus and it needed to quarentine it. FFS. (Side note if anyone has an antivirus they recommend, I'm all ears at this point). Get false positives way too often on gaming related stuff.

Game definitely has some shortcomings (other crashes, initial load times, framerate) but all in all it's a damn impressive sandbox. Don't think I'll dive too deep into it until we get a few patches, but I've definitely had a good time slowly learning and watching myself improve over the few hours I've actually played it so far.

Oct 27, 2017
Did my first longish flight from what turned out to not be Santa Barbara but rather an airfield on an island off Santa Barbara to SFO. Maybe I'm missing something but it's weird that there is no "mission complete" You just land and you have to quit to the main menu. I guess that makes some sense for people who want to chain together trips.

I'm curious, the sun was setting while I was flying. The position of the sun must also depend on where you are on earth. It would kind of have to since they're doing the whole eath. I wonder if the color/characteristics of the sunset depend on the weather/air quality.
I also wonder if the stars are accurate in the sky. Could an absolute mad man navigate their plane by the stars in the sky?

Oct 27, 2017
Even though I am a Medium-mode 1080p peasant, I still think this game looks quite nice:

This game is the definition of "see that mountain over there! you can go to it!" ;)

Also, I have a real weakness for usable computers/interfaces inside games... like the touchscreens in Doom or Astroneer. So discovering actual working interfaces for navigation, radio, autopilot etc in the TBM 930.... <3. I flew it from Swakopmund to Okaukuejo Airport, mostly along the coast; once I figured out the auto pilot I let it do it's thing while I pressed all of the other buttons during the trip just to see what they did.

Speaking of auto pilot, I know there are Youtube tutorials, etc, but how are you supposed to learn these things in game? Is it just via experimentation? Or is there a manual I am missing? The tutorials only seem to cover the basics of the Cessna, but I've seen videos with people doing engine starts on an Airbus and similar, not to mention all of the on board GPS, etc. How/where do you learn how to work them correctly (without needing to rely on external resources like fan made Youtube videos)?
As far as starting it, there are checklists that will walk you through some stuff. But those are still rather lacking in detail. Tried it a couple of times and haven't found a plane where there was something I didn't have to tell the computer to do for me.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Did my first longish flight from what turned out to not be Santa Barbara but rather an airfield on an island off Santa Barbara to SFO. Maybe I'm missing something but it's weird that there is no "mission complete" You just land and you have to quit to the main menu.

It should end the flight after you hit all your waypoints, land, and turn off your engine/battery (can't remember if it's both). But it's kind of finnicky. If you do IFR and miss one of your selected waypoints, or ask for ground taxi to parking or a gate but don't hit that waypoint, it won't end the flight.

Jan 10, 2018
So I just started to learn communications with the ATC and I got confused by some messages. For example, when I asked to land and do a full stop the ATC gave me "left" as one of the directions. I'm not sure what this means as the only thing you learn in flight training is the different leg names for the flight pattern around the airport. When i choose to do an automatic response my pilot named it "downwind" which then made sense to me, but I didn't understand how the pilot came to that conclusion based on the information the ATC gave me.

Can someone explain what all the details mean in the ATC response when you request to land?

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
So I just started to learn communications with the ATC and I got confused by some messages. For example, when I asked to land and do a full stop the ATC gave me "left" as one of the directions. I'm not sure what this means as the only thing you learn in flight training is the different leg names for the flight pattern around the airport. When i choose to do an automatic response my pilot named it "downwind" which then made sense to me, but I didn't understand how the pilot came to that conclusion based on the information the ATC gave me.

Can someone explain what all the details mean in the ATC response when you request to land?

Could mean left-hand pattern? If so, just remember that all turns in the pattern are to the left, and it'll make sense.

Here you also see entry into the pattern on the downwind leg:

traffic-pattern-operations-parallel-runways.png

GamerKingFaiz

Nov 15, 2017
Ooh just discovered you can pop out the avionics screens.

Hold "Alt Gr" and the cursor turns into a magnifying glass. Click on a cockpit screen and it pops out in its own window.
I was really hoping you'd be able to interact with the screens once you pop them out, which would be nice to make it easier to interact with mid flight (rather then having to re-jigger the camera). Alas it's just a flat version of the screen that you can pop on another monitor. Still pretty nifty--thanks!

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know if you can set speed on the Cessna jet on autopilot? It has the FLC mode but I can't figure out what the procedure is

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know if you can set speed on the Cessna jet on autopilot? It has the FLC mode but I can't figure out what the procedure is

To use FLC, set the target altitude with the ALT knob (the blue number above your vertical speed/altitude indicator will change), then engage autopilot and press FLC. You can then adjust the target airspeed with the nose up/nose down knob, kind of like you do in VS mode, but it will change the target airspeed rather than the vertical speed. FLC will automatically change to ALT once you reach your selected altitude.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

mostly just figure it out for yourself. No in-game manuals that I can see. While manically bouncing around websites looking for HOTAS in stock, I came across some interesting accessory boxes. Saitek do one that is like a mini autopilot - the various AP/HDG etc buttons, and a couple of dials for altitude etc. Was a bit tempting - using the mouse to turn the dials in particular is annoying, and hitting the tiny buttons. Having that as a panel on my desk would be very nice. But I realise it opens the rabbit hole a little further..

edit: oh god you can buy a G1000 panel.. https://www.flightsimwebshop.co.uk/realsimgear-g1000.html. only £1000

Last edited:

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Whoa, apparently an i7 5840, 32GB and a 970 are enough to play at Ultra.

Granted, at 10/20 fps but it's not like i'm doing anything more than wandering around in drone mode, fiddling with weather and tod and taking pictures.

aeroslash

Feb 7, 2018
If somebody would like a bit of a challenge with the a320 i leave you an explanatory video to the Samos approach. You should turn on the subtitles to see the comments.

And even if you are not up to it, you should really go to fly on that area (Greek islands) Really worth the views!

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
can you totally land a 320 on AP? (assuming I control throttle). curious to try the bigger planes but not sure about landing manually yet

aeroslash

Feb 7, 2018
can you totally land a 320 on AP? (assuming I control throttle). curious to try the bigger planes but not sure about landing manually yet

you don't even have to control the throttle. Big planes have autoland. You just have to cut the thrust when it will tell you "retard" at around 10feet.
That's the theory, altough i haven't tried it in flight simulator.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Seems like some people are having a lot of fun...

(is that speed up x2?)

Nope, it's just that the closer you are to the ground, the better the sensation of speed you get. Terada never speed up his videos. I'm present in a bunch of them so i know (he's mostly a Star Citizen streamer but FS is a seamless transition as he mostly do the same thing in both : flying way too close to the ground).

kVH2LpZd

Apr 3, 2019
you don't even have to control the throttle. Big planes have autoland. You just have to cut the thrust when it will tell you "retard" at around 10feet.
That's the theory, altough i haven't tried it in flight simulator.
Yes it works. Tried it already several times and finding out the optimal things like cutting throttle the hard way. :D
What also helps is to prime the speedbrakes and autobrakes.
The hardest part was how to find the correct ILS frequencies on the global map(hint: nav aids need to be enabled via filters to see them per runway.)
And you need to chose the one at the end of the runway you want to land on, not the one in front.

aeroslash

Feb 7, 2018
Yes it works. Tried it already several times and finding out the optimal things like cutting throttle the hard way. :D
What also helps is to prime the speedbrakes and autobrakes.
The hardest part was how to find the correct ILS frequencies on the global map(hint: nav aids need to be enabled via filters to see them per runway.)
And you need to chose the one at the end of the runway you want to land on, not the one in front.

what do you mean with prime the speedbrakes and autobrakes?

if you select the departure and arrival airport, ifr routes (high or low) and choose the aproach to the arrival airport it will be automatically selected once you fly.