• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
This is a wildly unappealing list. Develop new IP, and leave Scalebound dead. It was cancelled for a reason (hint: it was bad)
Speak for yourself. Dont care about scalebound but banjo and lost odyssey need sequels.

People are too focused on new ips what matters is new experiences, new games.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Halo proved to be a blessing and a curse.

The Xbox brand effectively exists because of Halo, but it also sent the wrong message to Microsoft that if you don't sell those types of numbers, don't bother persisting with the franchise.

it was around gears of war that the thing came about

i remember one of my contacts saying the minimum sale projection for any project would have to be something like 2 million+... this is likely due to RROD and the goal to bring the brand back to profitability.

some of the best games on the Xbox platform sold 300-500k... because they didn't have widespread appeal. in a service like game pass, you get additional value as people will be more willing to play games they don't have to directly pay for. we need more stuff like amped/rallisport/mass effect/mechwarrior/crimson skies/shadowrun... risky shit that might not work out. but try anyways.

agree with this 100% 1000%

btw
convince shockwave to start TEAMXBOX again.

lol he's so done with it all... p.s msxbox was the heart and soul of teamxbox and the founder of that went on to make tubshrooms which was much more profitable

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Of course they are. People think they will sit around not doing anything. Probably finalizing the next Xbox or something.

The issue is they've been saying this for years, and then they cancelled acaleboynd and we heard all of the horror stories from Platinum about Microsoft as a publishing partner.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what would happen if their upcoming games have the same results as the last few years.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If the numbers on the first page are accurate, 1% higher spending is basically nothing. I'll be more interested when they announce they're founding or buying more studios that aren't based around a single game series like 343, Coalition and Mojang.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao. Horror stories you obviously made up.

Tales from his arse .

Are you two saying that I'm lying? Show some maturity.

Have a link about the horror stories from Platinum about Microsoft? Would love to check it out.

First link I found, there was a lot more talk about it around the time, though I don't have an active account from 'that place' to go back and search it out.

Scalebound Made "Unachievable By Microsoft", "Shady Contract Work", Say Sources

He went on to explain that what he heard made him "sick to his stomach", as it's "Microsoft's shady handling of Platinum that is responsible for this."

Several other industry members including Polygon's Michael MCWHERTOR shared similar reports.

He added that "milestones were made to be unachievable by Microsoft, thanks to some shady contract work". He even said that Microsoft was "withholding pay".

Although these are big claims, they appear to be congruent with the nature of the move. First, Microsoft didn't announce the cancelation until after a report was leaked by Kotaku this morning. In addition, last week Microsoft removed the title from its website and last week's Xbox Wire post. We all knew something was wrong.

http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/...contract-work-say-sources#0rTH8p6DPehWTcws.99

Last edited:

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017

We hear this all the time and it often ends up being like some inane thing that isn't even all that awful. Actually people who were actually insiders hinted that Platinum was failing to meet deadlines and was having trouble getting systems to work.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We hear this all the time and it often ends up being like some inane thing that isn't even all that awful. Actually people who were actually insiders hinted that Platinum was failing to meet deadlines and was having trouble getting systems to work.

Platinum is known for getting game systems working quickly and their fast development in general. Part of the problem as said by insiders is that Scalebound had no one to 'represent it' inside of MS, which as when those reports were being made was apparently important to the internal culture of MS at the time. To say nothing of cancelling Fable Legends and it wasn't even the game Lionhead wanted to make, but a game Microsoft forced them to make and then shuttered them for it.

Time has passed, but does Microsoft really strike you as a publisher that is good to work with? You can throw money at things absolutely, but that's meaningless unless you're actually working towards a culture that is geared to succeed.

I don't think it's any coincidence that Platinum mentioned that (the success of) Nier saved the company (following Scalebound). it matches with the claims of payments to Platinum being withheld:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...aved-platinumgames-according-to-hideki-kamiya

Last edited:

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
You will only see result of investment when next Xbox is out not the this E3. This E3 again will be 3rd party heavy with 3rd party timed exclusivity and indie games nd all.

Though we might see new Forza and Halo but that's about it. They're not showing some road map for future which is huge mistake.
This is wrong. I didn't buy the X1X for this E3 to just have 3rd party games. I'm sure there's something

Lappe

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I wonder what would happen if their upcoming games have the same results as the last few years.
Hasn't their gaming revenue gone up? Unless you are pointing at that, I don't get this post.

And this is a pretty obvious direction for Microsoft, since they are not clearly not going to leave the gaming business, theres too much money to be made.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
What were the horror stories platinum told about Microsoft as a publisher. I missed that.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Time has passed, but does Microsoft really strike you as a publisher that is good to work with?

So you're hitting us with speculation because you don't like Microsoft and then get literally insulted when people call you out as if you have hard data?

Yeah, piss off with that thanks.

You seem to be purposely leaving out the insiders who mentioned Platinum wasn't holding up their side of things. And at any rate that's a far cry from "horror stories." Don't come in here throwing around bs and getting mad when people call you out.

Jeffrey Guang

Nov 4, 2017
Taiwn
Platinum is known for getting game systems working quickly and their fast development in general. Part of the problem as said by insiders is that Scalebound had no one to 'represent it' inside of MS, which as when those reports were being made was apparently important to the internal culture of MS at the time. To say nothing of cancelling Fable Legends and it wasn't even the game Lionhead wanted to make, but a game Microsoft forced them to make and then shuttered them for it.

Time has passed, but does Microsoft really strike you as a publisher that is good to work with? You can throw money at things absolutely, but that's meaningless unless you're actually working towards a culture that is geared to succeed.

I don't think it's any coincidence that Platinum mentioned that Nier saved the company (following Scalebound). it matches with the claims of payments being withheld:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...aved-platinumgames-according-to-hideki-kamiya

I find it funny that whenever somethings went wrong with the game development, people are always so incline to believe that it's the publisher or some corporate BS's fault.

Fable Legend is actually the game that Lionhead pitched to Microsoft for Xbox One, not the other way around.
Scalebound is so big a project a small studio like Platinum just couldn't handle it. It has been stuck in development hell for 4 years and I don't believe a good "Microsoft culture" or a guy to talk to could really compensate that.
Playground is so happy working with Microsoft that they decided to work on another Microsoft IP.

All the above has proven that the conventional wisdom is not always right. It's always unfortunate that a game is canceled. But I think it's wrong to assume that decision or cause is always one sided. Good games, just like good movie, are really hard to make. I think we has to realize that before blaming anyone.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Microsoft was so horrible as a publisher that caused Platinum to ruin Scalebound
and Starfox
and TMNT
and Wonderful 101
and Transformers
and the legend of Korra

Pxxr Platinum that was doing masterpiece after masterpiece till Microsoft came to them

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I don't think it's any coincidence that Platinum mentioned that (the success of) Nier saved the company (following Scalebound). it matches with the claims of payments to Platinum being withheld:

Pretty much your own assumptions, like most things about Microsoft on era, its out right lies. Should not be entertained unless you can provide hard facts.

Also Phil said on IGN Unlocked he'd love to work with them (Platinum) again, now he wouldn't say that if things weren't amicable.

Funny how the narrative is changing now after realisation of a) They're not being sold and b) They're infact going to double down on gaming in a big way.

Some of you are finding anything you can to twist something that is good for the industry and gamers.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So you're hitting us with speculation because you don't like Microsoft and then get literally insulted when people call you out as if you have hard data?

Yeah, piss off with that thanks.

You seem to be purposely leaving out the insiders who mentioned Platinum wasn't holding up their side of things. And at any rate that's a far cry from "horror stories." Don't come in here throwing around bs and getting mad when people call you out.

Wow, I was just about to come in here to emphasize that it's never too late to make structural changes and talk positively about Rare being able to make a new fresh IP (even if it does seem like MS is just interested in moving towards GAAS), but piss with that kind of attitude. You've done nothing here to discredit anything I posted which mentions that other sources said similar things about the unreasonable deadlines etc, even by standards that Platinum are used to. That was a part of the story that also contributed to Hideki Kamiya denying that he had suffered from mental issues on the project. Seriously, you might want to take a look in the mirror.

Last edited:

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017

First link I found, there was a lot more talk about it around the time, though I don't have an active account from 'that place' to go back and search it out.

Scalebound Made "Unachievable By Microsoft", "Shady Contract Work", Say Sources

He went on to explain that what he heard made him "sick to his stomach", as it's "Microsoft's shady handling of Platinum that is responsible for this."

Several other industry members including Polygon's Michael MCWHERTOR shared similar reports.

He added that "milestones were made to be unachievable by Microsoft, thanks to some shady contract work". He even said that Microsoft was "withholding pay".

Although these are big claims, they appear to be congruent with the nature of the move. First, Microsoft didn't announce the cancelation until after a report was leaked by Kotaku this morning. In addition, last week Microsoft removed the title from its website and last week's Xbox Wire post. We all knew something was wrong.

http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/...contract-work-say-sources#0rTH8p6DPehWTcws.99
I'm still not seeing any horror stories.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still not seeing any horror stories.

You're being dishonest and you know it. A publisher cancelling a project and withholding payment isn't enough?

----------------
However, the insiders say that Microsoft intruded into the development of the game too much and too often. This kind of attitude infuriated the director of Scalebound, Hideki Kamiya, which didn't improve the relationship between the two companies at all.

On the contrary, the reports say that as of Autumn 2016 both sides came to the conclusion that there is no way for two of them to move forward with the development of the game. Here is a bit from an interview with Polygon in 2015 that explains how Kamiya felt during the development of Scalebound (read the full interview here):

"Up until now, the style of the Japanese publishers I've worked with is, for better or worse, 'good-ol'-days game development. To be blunt, their vibe is 'as long as it works out in the end.' Microsoft is the first overseas publisher I've worked with, but is seems like the overseas style is, for better or worse, 'next-generation game development.' It is focused not just on the final result, but also on the process you take to get there. For someone as irresponsible as I am, it's hard to get my head around sometimes."
---------------
https://www.gameskinny.com/aeljq/the-3-most-believable-reasons-why-scalebound-was-cancelled

Microsoft was so horrible as a publisher that caused Platinum to ruin Scalebound
and Starfox
and TMNT
and Wonderful 101
and Transformers
and the legend of Korra

Pxxr Platinum that was doing masterpiece after masterpiece till Microsoft came to them

ITP you don't understand the difference between for work budget license titles and well as for hire work and full scope Platinum titls. Did you think that list through before posting it because Wonderful 101 and Transformers were well reviewed, StarFox was a for hire gig that they had no design input on and TNMT/Korra had no time or budget.

Then you ignore the fact that their main project output is generally stellar, with tittles like Viewtiful Joe, Okami, Bayonetta, Revengance (which was made in a year and is a fantastic action title), and Nier Automato which has been a massive success for Square Enix.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
They have nailed the hardware and BC side of things and their network has always been solid, so the only thing left to do now is double down on more new games.

Trouble is, if they are only starting to invest now this late in the gen, most big new games from this point onward will probably be next gen titles, unless they are planning to extend this gen and not release their next gen Xbox until 2021-2022, which seems unlikely, as I'm sure they wouldn't want to give Sony a 1 or 2 year head start on them with PS5.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
You're being dishonest and you know it.

ITP you don't understand the difference between for work budget license titles and well as for hire work and full scope Platinum titls. Did you think that list through before posting it because Wonderful 101 and Transformers were well reviewed, StarFox was a for hire gig that they had no design input on and TNMT/Korra had no time or budget.

Then you ignore the fact that their main project output is generally stellar, with tittles like Viewtiful Joe, Okami, Bayonetta, Revengance, and Nier Automato which has been a massive success for Square Enix.
What I can see is that when Scalebound was cancelled Platinum was on a strike of subpar mediocre games and that they still needs to prove they are recovered. Wonderful 101 and Transformers were reviewed "blah" and at least Transformers was a clamorous sales failure.

No, Scalebound disaster didn't was a Microsoft only to blame situation.

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
They say this like every year.
Microsoft never changes, same old story since the early 360 days.

TwoCoins

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Houston Tx
User Warned: Ignoring Modpost + System Wars
You shouldn't make assumptions and try to tell other people what they've played, it's a bad look. I've already said several times which of those games I have played, and I've stated as well the faults with Ryse that I think really held it back from being actually great instead of just decent/average... Don't let the fact that I don't share in worshipping what's popular make you think you know anything about me :)
Had to chuckle at someone saying that 7 hours wasnt enough time for someone to decide if this game was for them or not. Particularly since nothing about this game made it seem worthy of what would be required for me to even start it.
Read your post history and you outright said you had no interest in playing Horizon only weeks ago, after saying it's over rated and all your posts are in Xbox treads. So it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know you don't play any switch games either since you apparently don't like a game you never played. But grouped it with SMO and BOTW. So it's doubtful you played those either. All over rated games apparently. Enjoy Sea of Thieves tho I guess?

Last edited:

Cappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully the next xbox is a game console and not an "entertainment system" Xbox one failed,( for me,) because there was to much focus on it being an all in one entertainment box instead of a gaming console not to mention many of the Xbox one exclusives would eventually find their way onto PC making the Xbox pretty redundant... Again, for me anyways.

I had the Xbox one for a couple of months before I gave it up. Now currently own a ps4 and switch but do majority of my gaming on pc now.

wapplew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They have nailed the hardware and BC side of things and their network has always been solid, so the only thing left to do now is double down on more new games.

Trouble is, if they are only starting to invest now this late in the gen, most big new games from this point onward will probably be next gen titles, unless they are planning to extend this gen and not release their next gen Xbox until 2021-2022, which seems unlikely, as I'm sure they wouldn't want to give Sony a 1 or 2 year head start on them with PS5.

They don't just starting to invest now, they were investing consistently every year. They have been up their investment since VP Spencer got promoted.
I think we don't need to wait until next gen to see result, E3 is near.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
I really don't get why are people saying "yeah they say this every year" when Microsoft is not saying nothing, we are talking over a spent increase drived by gaming. This is not talk, this is money already spent by them in their gaming division.

Lappe

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
However, the insiders say that Microsoft intruded into the development of the game too much and too often. This kind of attitude infuriated the director of Scalebound, Hideki Kamiya, which didn't improve the relationship between the two companies at all.
But Microsoft as a publisher/payer has EVERY right to do this. And did so probably for a good reason, characters like Kamiya take things way too personally, and often view themselves as some kind of unique artists or something lol.

The whole Scalebound deal was a clear mismatch, and honestly the cancellation was probably a good financial call from Microsoft.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They say this like every year.
Microsoft never changes, same old story since the early 360 days.
Theyve had decent amount of content during early X1 though. Also, they've never had Gamepass before, which requires a healthy flow of new content.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I really don't get why are people saying "yeah they say this every year" when Microsoft is not saying nothing, we are talking over a spent increase drived by gaming. This is not talk, this is money already spent by them in their gaming division.

I think this is hilarious. The 'Phil is only talk' meme is weirdly amusing.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017

What people probably mean is that this is not the first increase in spending over the last couple of years (I could be wrong about that) and they fail to see the results of that spending aka games, especially compared to Sonys' recent output.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What I can see is that when Scalebound was cancelled Platinum was on a strike of subpar mediocre games and that they still needs to prove they are recovered. Wonderful 101 and Transformers were reviewed "blah" and at least Transformers was a clamorous sales failure.

No, Scalebound disaster didn't was a Microsoft only to blame situation.

Never said that Platinum Games was blameless, I think it was a bad situation all round but that Microsoft as a publisher can be pretty terrible to work with, so the issues that Platinum was having with the project only got exacerbated.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance 80% Metacritic 9/10 Steam
The Wonderful 101 78% metacritic

Bayonetta 2 92% metacritic
The Legend of Korra
Activision 56%
Transformers: Devastation 80%
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 50%
Nier: Automata 88.74%
http://www.gamerankings.com/ps4/168677-nier-automata/index.html

I'm omitting StarFox since they weren't involved with the design side. You'll get no argument from me that Platinum smaller projects are bleh, but their main projects seems at least solid.

Coolwhip

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I wasn't lazy I would search for all the times MS has said this. It would be funny to see through time.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Hopefully this means more AAA first-party studios. I would love to see some top talent syphoned away from shitty third party money grubbers and go toward making ambitious first-party software.