• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/27/...new-york-city-october-date-dual-screen-rumors

Microsoft is holding a special Surface hardware event in New York City in October. The event, which will be held on October 2nd, could serve as the first unveiling of Microsoft's dual-screen Surface device. Microsoft has been building a new dual-screen device, codenamed "Centaurus," for more than two years, and it's designed to be the hero device for a wave of new dual-screen tablet / laptop hybrids that we're expecting to see throughout 2020.

Alongside Centaurus, Microsoft will likely refresh other Surface devices.

Excited about a new Surface Pro refresh. I missed the news about this dual screen device, Courier redux it looks like.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Still rocking my Surface Pro 3 for my work computer but I'm interested to see what they've got up their sleeves.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
On the eve of me deciding to return/exchange my iPad Air I hear this... I feel like I have to wait.

Only issue is that apps like Comixology are always better on iPads. Tough choices...

Feb 1, 2018
Surface Laptop 2 needs TB3/USB-C desperately. Ditch that ancient mDP port, what the fuck is that in 2019

Dual screen devices are not gonna sell, consumer perception was nuked after Samsung jumped the gun and fell on their face with Fold.

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/27/...new-york-city-october-date-dual-screen-rumors

Excited about a new Surface Pro refresh. I missed the news about this dual screen device, Courier redux it looks like.
I've been dreaming about dual screened art device for what seems like forever...

61089412_2398832553470585_3378447564528418816_n.jpg

61018463_2398832550137252_8998694579544784896_o.jpg

Last edited:

sca

Oct 25, 2017
Will be keeping my eye on this. I hope Thunderbolt shows up on their other Surface devices

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
I think they'll announce surface book 3. Im not expecting surface laptop 3 or surface pro 7. Absolutely love my surface laptop 2. Great device style or substance it does both clean. Hopefully they can keep doing better. I hope they don't ditch usb A port and do introduce usb c. I use pendrives a lot in my work and that usb A is just needed so much. Besides thinning the laptop further just means keyboard gonna suck more and more.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Hopefully it's a major design shift for the Surface Pro line. They've been coasting on the current design since the Surface Pro 3.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Surface Laptop 2 needs TB3/USB-C desperately. Ditch that ancient mDP port, what the fuck is that in 2019

Dual screen devices are not gonna sell, consumer perception was nuked after Samsung jumped the gun and fell on their face with Fold.
Dual screen device could sell like hot cakes if done right. But I am wary about anyone getting the form factor/usability right.

I still haven't upgraded my laptop from 2013 that is still plenty fast with a SSD, 1800p, 16gb RAM but having the power be USB-C would be really nice. Main thing I don't like with modern laptops is they replace all the USB ports with USB-C when they need to keep a single USB-A port, I don't want to have carry around a dongle and so many things still use USB-A including dongles to use scientific software, usb flash drives/portable hard drives, etc.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Look, I love Android. I really like it as an open OS. I have tried iOS and it just not for me. But Windows OS was great. I think we are ready for another iteration.
windows phone OS was the best OS out of IOS and android.

I just don't think there is room for it, they would need immense 3rd party support on day 1 to compete, they couldn't do it back then and I dont see what has changed.

minato

Oct 27, 2017
Windows Central been saying that if a surface phone does come out it will be after the big dual screen device and that they are still working on Windows Core OS which would be what all of the big or small dual screen devices would use.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
My surface Pro 3 is ready for an update and I would kill for the surface phone with Android. As much as I loved Windows phone and I had about eight different models until the very end, the lack of apps and third-party support means we're never seen Windows phone OS again. Now that I've experienced an app ecosystem I can't go back to what we had.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I think windows is now mobile device ready, I would honestly give some thought about switching.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Looking forward to what they got. I have loved the two Surface devices I've owned. Surface Laptop 2 is my current daily driver laptop -- such a nice-to-use device despite the low spec.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Im.savin up for a surface. I dont want to work more overtime at the plant and kill myself for it, but I've already decided as an art dude I'd rather get a surface than a knockoff cintiq. Especially since I'm needing to go laptop. Been a long while on my current setup. Since 2012 maybe.

If they announce something higher than their nvidia model I'll hafta figure out how hard I need to go for it or not. Inalreadybgot 400+ hours overtime this year. I'd rather not have more but if it's a big difference I essentially live through my PC and the work and gaming I do there.

Feb 1, 2018
I don't want to have carry around a dongle and so many things still use USB-A including dongles to use scientific software, usb flash drives/portable hard drives, etc.

What if I told you...that all you had to do was switch the cable instead of buying a dongle?

Like any portable HDD can instantly be USB-C if you just get a micro-B (or USB-B) to C cable for it.

___

I don't know about a new Windows Phone though.

Real world people (not online enthusiasts) would only switch if their most-used 3rd party apps were on it Day 1 with greater or equal parity to the iOS and Android versions, and that would require an insane amount of moneyhatting.

I do think Microsoft has the brand power and pedigree to take on Apple in the premium device market. Surface is a high-end line and lots of corporate purchasing departments are familiar with it. But making a new Surface Phone OS like... iOS-tier (security, UX, polish, brand power) seems like an insurmountable task.

Last edited:

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I always get tempted by the Surface Pro devices, but I'd primarily use them as touch devices and Windows 10 is not enjoyable to use that way. I'll be watching the event though to see if they come up with anything that could alleviate this.

V23

Oct 27, 2017
Still using my Surface Pro 2 from early 2013. The power cord is fraying and I've had semi-recurring issues with it not turning on, but I still love it. Hoping I can delay upgrading for another one or two years.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
They are going to show their Dual screen device?!?! Maaaannnnnn....I can't wait!!!!

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
Brad Sams is suggesting ARM Surface Pro which makes sense since Qualcomm 8cx is now ready to go.

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested in seeing a Surface Go refresh, but until they start taking the software more seriously I won't buy another Surface device.