• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
MS, Ubi and EA all seem pretty happy with it.
I expect other pubs to follow if they have a big enough game library.
Does EA even have any games on Game Pass? They have their own service. Ubisoft also has their own on PC, which is why all Ubisoft GP games have been console only (although Microsoft Store's heavy limitations may also affect things).

Big publishers are going to exit GP and make their own service when it makes sense for them.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I sure hope Sony doesn't try to follow Microsoft in putting 1st party titles on PSNow day one, I don't want the quality of their output to deteriorate like it surely will if they do that.

Yep...Naughty Dog would just totally shit the bed if Sony put The Last Of Us 2 on PS Now when it launches

Look, XGS has like 10+ games coming out this year..let's see if your unfounded deterioration theory holds up at the end of the year shall we?

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
To be clear, not saying it's impossible that Sony or Nintendo could beat GP as a service, just that saying they could do it over night is a bit disingenuous.

Imaginary PS5 presentation at E3 2020:
"I know you are worried about your existing investment in your PlayStation library, that's why we now have PlayStation Now Plus, included with your monthly subscription to PS+, that allows you instant access to your old games via our Backwards Compatibility engine as well as downloadable versions of all Sony first and second party games as they are released for a small extra fee."

It's not that disingenuous. New generation launches allows a ton of rewriting history and to brand old things as new.

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
"I know you are worried about your existing investment in your PlayStation library, that's why we now have PlayStation Now Plus, included with your monthly subscription to PS+, that allows you instant access to your old games via our Backwards Compatibility engine as well as downloadable versions of all Sony first and second party games as they are released for a small extra fee."

It's not that disingenuous. New generation launches allows a ton of rewriting history and to brand old things as new.

That does not sound sustainable at all, that's probably more unsustainable than the Game Pass business model. Putting PS Now with PS+ bundles doesn't make it magically sustainable and viable.

That sounds like it works on paper, but in practice, it does not.

Sony couldn't even maintain the output of PSNow by cutting prices.

Tomacco

Oct 27, 2017

Until such time as Sony's BC strategy and tech solutions is in our hands, saying that they could just announce it and its going to meet or surpass what GP does is dealing in hopes, nothing more.

JFoul

Oct 25, 2017
For those who think Sony and Nintendo or any gaming company can simply put their games onto a Subscription service while charging a very low price and be done with it will be sorely disappointed.

They can't sustain that service and that business model and they probably never will. The economics are simply too much against them, especially since Gaming is both their core businesses.

Releasing games onto a subscription service day 1 will bury the companies into the ground.

This business model works for Microsoft because Gaming is not their core business so they can charge as low as they want while increase quality and output, they also are large enough to absorb the losses made. Sony and Nintendo, EA, Activision etc cannot, , especially AAA SP games.

In this case improving Quality of First Party titles is much easier than sustaining a service with this business model at the level of Sony and Nintendo.
It also helps that Microsoft has their own Cloud infrastucture.

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
That does not sound sustainable at all, that's probably more unsustainable than the Game Pass business model. Putting PS Now with PS+ bundles doesn't make it magically sustainable and viable.

That sounds like it works on paper, but in practice, it does not.

Quite the opposite actually.

It's only PS exclusives being mentioned there.

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
Quite the opposite actually.

It's only PS exclusives being mentioned there.

Depends on the price. If its $30 maybe... but it won't work on $10-20. If it were that easy, they would keep their games permanently on PS Now, but they don't. They don't even release their newish games on the service. So how would something like you're suggesting work when all actions showed that they don't/can't release day 1.

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
Depends on the price. If its $30 maybe... but it won't work on $10-20

I suspect most of GP costs comes from settlements with 3rd party publishers.

Having to cut ps plus and add exclusives to library at 15$ just like GP ultimate seems like a cost they could bear IF they wanted subscribers.

That's all hypothetical tho

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
Depends on the price. If its $30 maybe... but it won't work on $10-20. If it were that easy, they would keep their games permanently on PS Now, but they don't. They don't even release their newish games on the service. So how would something like you're suggesting work when all actions showed that they don't/can't release day 1.
If they launched it as a PlayStation service (meaning PS4 and PS5), they would have 100 million plus people to sell it to day one. At $10-$15 a month that has to be attractive to some percentage of that user base. It could totally work.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
Does EA even have any games on Game Pass? They have their own service. Ubisoft also has their own on PC, which is why all Ubisoft GP games have been console only (although Microsoft Store's heavy limitations may also affect things).

Big publishers are going to exit GP and make their own service when it makes sense for them.

That's what I meant by they were happy with it, as in they offer their own services with their games day one.

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
If they launched it as a PlayStation service (meaning PS4 and PS5), they would have 100 million plus people to sell it to day one. At $10-$15 a month that has to be attractive to some percentage of that user base. It could totally work.

It won't work because it will mean cannibalizing the 10 Million they get from sales. But we won't know if any of this will work, all we know is that Sony cut their output by cutting the price of PS Now and they don't release 1st party day 1, going by those actions. If they were to cut the price of PSNow further to $5 per month, it would further cut the output.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
That's what I meant by they were happy with it, as in they offer their own services with their games day one.
I don't think Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order is currently a part of the EA Access vault, and that is the point. That shows they think it would be detrimental to do so. Some games, I suppose they think it works with, and others that are more valuable - like Star Wars - not so much. That is the position that Sony, Nintendo (and other publishers) are in with their games.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
It won't work because it will mean cannibalizing the 10 Million they get from sales. But we won't know if any of this will work, all we know is that Sony cut their output by cutting the price of PS Now and they don't release 1st party day 1, going by those actions. If they were to cut the price of PSNow further to $5 per month, it would further cut the output.
I think that depends. Only the biggest of games sell to more than 10 percent of the userbase.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
I don't think Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order is currently a part of the EA Access vault, and that is the point. That shows they think it would be detrimental to do so. Some games, I suppose they think it works with, and others that are more valuable - like Star Wars - not so much.
Its part of EA Premier. That's how I played it.

Hockeymac18

Nov 14, 2017
Game Streaming....

I still don't know who asked for this. Seems like 3D, we're being told we want it with absolutely not real desire for it, yet everyone jumping in on it.
Probably not a lot of people in the hardcore gaming space...but I imagine a lot of casual players who already play games on mobile.

I have to admit, I find it somewhat appealing - but the inherent lag is definitely a big barrier for me.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure I agree with that.

On the technical side you have the ability to download and play previous generations games at increased resolution.

On the business side, they seem to be killing it in terms of getting newer releases to the service while fostering indies to the point of getting many of them releasing games day and date on the service.

On the marketing side, there seems to be nothing but good things said about GP(PS specific outlets not withstanding), while Sony is still promoting games that aren't even on the service anymore on the official site (maybe just us Canadians get this pleasure) https://www.playstation.com/en-ca/explore/playstation-now/games/

To be clear, not saying it's impossible that Sony or Nintendo could beat GP as a service, just that saying they could do it over night is a bit disingenuous.

They couldn't replicate it quickly, it will take years for MS to build it up to where they want it to be as well. What they have is great momentum and what seems like the whole company (the parts needed) pushing towards the same thing from the top down.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Yep...Naughty Dog would just totally shit the bed if Sony put The Last Of Us 2 on PS Now when it launches

Look, XGS has like 10+ games coming out this year..let's see if your unfounded deterioration theory holds up at the end of the year shall we?
Microsoft has the money (and the incentive) to burn putting out AAA titles there, I don't think Sony does.
And it's not something that'll show in a year, more like a ongoing reduction in budget to allow for more games to be released in this subscription model to keep subscribers entertained (see Sea of Thieves, Crackdown and State of Decay) with only a few being big blockbusters (see Gears, Forza and Halo).

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Anecdotal but I have previously PC only gaming friends who signed up to Game Pass who have never once even taking a side glance at PS now. One of them even bought a Xbox SAD to have access to more Game Pass games. Microsoft must be doing something right either with their game releases or marketing or both.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
Problem is, door is too small

l