• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I do.
I was looking at the Files option like in the OP picture but only see this.

NBKMwdo.png

However looking at General, I see something about Enabling Advanced Install features and clicking that only lets me change the folder where it's installed. Not the drive.

1aE22Fj.png
Uninstall the game, reinstall and see if it lets you choose the drive.

Super Craig

Oct 27, 2017
I do.
I was looking at the Files option like in the OP picture but only see this.

NBKMwdo.png

However looking at General, I see something about Enabling Advanced Install features and clicking that only lets me change the folder where it's installed. Not the drive.

1aE22Fj.png
You probably have to move the game to another drive using the old method first before you can select a different folder.

Oct 27, 2017
I completely misinterpreted the topic title as this was an Xbox console app 😂. For a moment I was confused, well more than normal.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017

Please submit suggestions and feedback via the new option.

Ifrit

Oct 27, 2017
Weird it doesn't seem to work for me, tried last night but in the preferences - general option, even though it shows that the game can be installed in the XboxGames folder, if I click the change folder option it doesn't allow me to change it.

I even tried intalling a new game, where it prompts that it will be installed in the XboxGames folder, but after the install is completed, there's no XboxGames folder to be found, and the game is still in the windowsapps folder.

It's really strange

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
I can't get this to work. I've uninstalled and was able to choose the D drive when installing again. When it's done and I right-click, there is no "Manage" option.

I swear that under General settings, there used to be an option for custom game folder, but that option is not there anymore.

Version 2202.1001.9.0

Edit: OK, figured it out. But it seems this feature comes with a pretty big caveat:

Ra75m5i.jpg

Last edited:

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
Would not allow me to do it for Back 4 Blood so I tried uninstalling and reinstalling but it would still not let me do it.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Would not allow me to do it for Back 4 Blood so I tried uninstalling and reinstalling but it would still not let me do it.
I read this in the insider patch notes from last week

We're still tracking these known issues:

• Some games show that an update is available but selecting the update button doesn't do anything.
  • Attempting to encrypt the game install folder from the Windows Shell may cause compatibility issues.
  • Mods for a version of a game on another platform may not work on the Xbox PC Game Pass version.
  • The following games are not yet supported:
    • Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition
    • Back 4 Blood
    • Cricket 19
    • Phantasy Star Online 2
    • State of Decay 2
    • Games offering pre-install

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017

• Some games show that an update is available but selecting the update button doesn't do anything.
  • Attempting to encrypt the game install folder from the Windows Shell may cause compatibility issues.
  • Mods for a version of a game on another platform may not work on the Xbox PC Game Pass version.
    • Back 4 Blood
    • Cricket 19
    • Phantasy Star Online 2
    • State of Decay 2
Ty for that.

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017

• Back 4 Blood
    • Cricket 19
    • Phantasy Star Online 2
    • State of Decay 2
Adding to this list from my catalog:
(will install to different drive but NOT a custom folder)
  • Halo Wars: Definitive Edition
  • Halo Wars 2
  • Quantum Break
  • Sea of Thieves
  • Streets of Rage 4
  • Thimbleweed Park

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
does this also mean ease of deletion? cause these files holding my harddrive hostage in the past was no joke.
and its why i stayed away from MS.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Does this mean someone may be able to mod in a more permanent RT during gameplay mode for FH5 - and also mean we can't be banned?

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Even with this update, I feel like there's still a fundamental problem with how these apps are updated. They seem sometimes an afterthought when compared to the Steam versions. Like Forza Horizon 5 has horrible HDR implementation on GP version, but from what I've read the Steam version is fine.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Even with this update, I feel like there's still a fundamental problem with how these apps are updated. They seem sometimes an afterthought when compared to the Steam versions. Like Forza Horizon 5 has horrible HDR implementation on GP version, but from what I've read the Steam version is fine.
What do you mean? Seems to work fine for me (LG B9).

viandante

Apr 24, 2020
dang… possibly the end of flyinj's crusade against PC gamepass and they're banned. sad.. flyinj died so PC gamepass could live i guess

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
dang… possibly the end of flyinj's crusade against PC gamepass and they're banned. sad.. flyinj died so PC gamepass could live i guess

There are still some limitations as noted above (some games don't support it + exe mod support + old UWP games still being a pain).

But I hope if they see this thread, they can still use the new feedback option if they have any problems or give feedback.

Insomniac

Oct 27, 2017
Is there anyone here who has tried playing a game that allows installation to a custom folder (i.e. non-WindowsApps folder) while also running MalwareBytes Premium? Because I noticed yesterday that if I try launching such a game, it will take more than five minutes to launch before inevitably crashing. Happened with several different games (FAR: Changing Tides, Hollow Knight, Infernax, Dragon Ball FighterZ). I thought it was a Game Pass app issue or even an OS issue and did a complete reinstall only for the issue to persist afterwards. Eventually I narrowed it down to MalwareBytes Premium being the culprit. If I disable Malware Protection or whitelist the entire game folder in MB, games start normally. Games installed to the WindowsApp folder (Tested with Crackdown 3) or Steam games are completely unaffected and launch without issue.

Just curious if anyone else has noticed this issue on their end. Will eventually contact MB themselves about the issue.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Worth noting that a game has to support it. Don't get the option on my Forza Horizon 3 install.
Kinda. We don't have to manually add support for it (Doom64 for example supported it out of the box without us touching anything, I was testing how it handled supplying command line parameters for modding (it worked, by the way)), but rather it seems to depend on when/how the game was packaged. It may be one of those things that requires updated XVD support.

Edit: Or yeah, it may just need to be a modern GDK application rather than the older UWP shell. Which makes sense as UWP is fully sandboxed.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Bit more details whats been added

The fact they have patch-notes and even acknowledged the lack of EXE permissions is pretty stunning. It's about damn time they started looking like they're doing something.
Though yeah, without those EXE permissions the update ends up moot for me. No adding to Steam means no convenient remote play, or screenshots with a macro on controller, or per-game controller rebinding, so on.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
They're slowly getting there it seems... I feel like we're 30% of the way too where it should be.

Sambumbia-PR

Banned
Dec 23, 2017
Hope im the only one but it seems the App is not installing to custom folders anymore even after the app's general settings say it is.

It just installs to the default Windowsapp. Ive tried reinstalling all xbox services but no dice. The deleting registry entry fix that seems to work for many people also did not work. This is on Windows 11, version 22H2.

If someone has a fix, id be grateful.

Ifrit

Oct 27, 2017
Hope im the only one but it seems the App is not installing to custom folders anymore even after the app's general settings say it is.

It just installs to the default Windowsapp. Ive tried reinstalling all xbox services but no dice. The deleting registry entry fix that seems to work for many people also did not work. This is on Windows 11, version 22H2.

That happened to me. The Xbox app has a move to folder option, some games worked with that if I moved them to another drive and back again, otherwise I had to reinstall some games to get the XboxGames folder

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017

Depending on game. There are some older games that don't support the new installation file management system so they will still be installed to WindowsApps folder and can't be accessed.

Sambumbia-PR

Banned
Dec 23, 2017
Depending on game. There are some older games that don't support the new installation file management system so they will still be installed to WindowsApps folder and can't be accessed.
Theres some sort of warning message when thats the case, like Killer Instinct. I had Danganronpa installed in the custom directory. Now, I unisntalled it, reinstalled and its on the Windowsapps folder. My settings said to install it on the custom folder.

Hope people that update Windows 11 dont run into this problem like it just happened to me.