• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
tumblr_mfb0ztgLo71rqlmkso2_500.gif

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I learned that at my moms job, they laid off the only other radiology staff person who has been there for a long time (don't now how long, but mom has been been working under the hospital for nearly two decades). So it's essentially just her doing mammograms at this office. Shit is fucked. Praying that she can stay healthy.

Everything is fucked, if this is really will be a depression, then that's a wrap for her retirement.

iyox

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. This is only for 1 week. We don't know how long things are going to be closed.

It appears the current minimum timeframe is 4 months. So take that as you will. This is an initial burst but things will get dire. All the more reason that GOP stimulus package was garbage. People are going to need money for basic necessities and framing anything on earnings from even back in February makes no sense.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In nine days the unemployment rate is going to double? It took months for it to reach that point in 2008.

Just to lay out the numbers. US unemployment rate is 3.6%, or 5.6 million unemployed.The data so far suggests in 1 week that we are getting 5 million more jobless claims. That is nearly double the unemployment rate in a week. This trend is only going to continue. So yes, we can easily see close to 11% by the end of the month.

Iris

Oct 28, 2017
this reminds me of that scene in the big short when the two guys are dancing and cheering because they made a big deal and brad pitt stops them short to remind them that for every 1 percent of unemployment rate goes up, 40,000 people die.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That does not mean it will take nine days for it to double again. The recession of 2008 had an unemployment rate of 4.7 and again, it took months for it to climb another 6%. There's just no fuckin way.

2008 is nothing compared to what is happening now. This is a couple shutdown of sectors and industries not a bubble burst in housing market.

And yes, the unemployment rate can go that high that quick.

Coolverine

May 7, 2018
this reminds me of that scene in the big short when the two guys are dancing and cheering because they made a big deal and brad pitt stops them short to remind them that for every 1 percent of unemployment rate goes up, 40,000 people die.

add to that corona, and you've got a lot of death.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How many times have we said this in the last week?

Damn. That is extremely true.

Just to lay out the numbers. US unemployment rate is 3.6%, or 5.6 million unemployed.The data so far suggests in 1 week that we are getting 5 million more jobless claims. That is nearly double the unemployment rate in a week. This trend is only going to continue. So yes, we can easily see close to 11% by the end of the month.

3.6% of the US population is 11million people. Am I missing something here? I know I said rough math but I didn't think it was that rough.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
1) I think the official numbers will likely tapper off, but it will hit higher than that Goldman Sachs Numbers - 25%- 28%... (I'm don't have any basis for this, but I usually assume things are worse than projected)

2) With both the numbers before this pandemic (3.6% unemployed) and after the numbers after, I think they will won't reflect how bad things really are because it doesn't account for people who have stopped looking for work...

ZW33

Oct 25, 2017
It's gonna be the best depression. The greatest. Gonna be tremendous. Believe me.

MDGA

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ha, I added more to my post " Am I missing something here? I know I said rough math but I didn't think it was that rough. "

How the hell do they calculate it then?

They use labor force at the denominator when calculating the unemployment rate.

Doing some googling it looks like the labor force is calculated by the the following:

"The rate is calculated by taking the number employed, divided by the total adult population and multiplying by 100 to get the percentage. For the data from 2012, the labor force participation rate is 63.7%. In the United States the labor force participation rate is usually around 67-68%."

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if these numbers include all of the people that haven't been able to access the site, which I've been hearing a lot from friends that have been laid off. My store is also hiring a lot of very capable worker that were laid off - whom are happy to have a job, and we're happy to have them, but fuck man... It's going to get ugly out there far beyond COVID19.

Meanwhile Republicans are trying to bail out corporations for... reasons? If they don't take care of the people, this system is going to collapse.

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe we'll finally get these people enough to fall back on so they aren't constantly struggling to get the basic shit they need to support their lives. Seems obvious when their labor is so crucial to holding everything together.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
What does this even mean

It means our "booming economy" looked great on the outside, but on the inside it's effectively a McMansion held together by duck tape, rusty nails, and twine. It's incredibly fragile and we haven't built any durable safety nets, and the ones that were there have been slowly eroded since the Reagan era.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Time to hoard all my money in a savings account, assuming the FDIC doesn't go under (it can't go under...right...oof).