• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
That was in poor taste, but what gets me most is that these jokes aren't written in a vacuum. I've seen and read about (from Tina Fey's book and videos) the behind the scenes machinations of SNL. They probably sat at a table with various other writers and performers developing this joke. Maybe someone raised objections, maybe they didn't, but that should have never made it on the air unless Che and Jost were purposefully looking to dredge up controversy.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I was being sarcastic, che sucks and he proves that routinely
He was being sarcastic writing this, because I remember reading some of Che's stories on IG during #MeToo, and he is anything BUT a cool guy. He's super aggressive, seems to be looking for fights, is prone to rage fits and tantrums, and has the emotional intelligence and empathy of a rock.

Fair, missed that - detector must be off.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Oct 27, 2017
They usually save their 1-am-at-the-Comedy-Cellar jokes for the end of the season, but they have been moving some of them up to weekend update "prime time" lately. Not only was the joke poorly conceived and delivered, "some years ago a man did a thing to seem more like an old woman" is absolutely NOT what happened. Comedians keep insisting on bringing her up and then working in a "he/his/deadname" followed by a "oh, she/whatever" and parts of the audiences still laugh. Nothing funny there though.

Middleman

Banned
Jun 14, 2019
User Banned (2 weeks): Justifying transphobia
Yes, that is still considered deadnaming. There are very few situations where it's ever necessary to do that kind of thing, as it's not like if he said Caitlyn Jenner people would be confused at who he's talking about.
Yes, it's not relevant to bring up someone's past (especially solely as a joke) and most trans people today consider it offensive.

Nice avatar
No you don't use assigned at birth pronouns and shit and you don't use dead names.

Che is an asshole and deserves criticism but Caitlin Jenner refers to her younger self as Bruce.

FeistyBoots

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Just watched the video. Correct me if I'm wrong but, Michael says something like, "5 years ago there was a fella named Bruce Jenner". Wouldn't he be correct in naming what Caitlyn Jenner was called 5 years ago? Am I misunderstanding?

Also, the joke itself was just terrible.

No.

Jenner was NEVER a "fella". She was always a woman. Deadnaming a trans person is extremely disrespectful.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I mean, again, Jenner talks about being proud of the life she lived as "Bruce". She doesn't want to pretend he (her words) didn't exist.
You're using a trans person talking about themselves as some sort of carte blanche for others to deadname them. Could you point to a source where she says she's alright with other people deadnaming her? Without it I'm not really sure why you're chasing this rabbit.

The last time I can see that she was dead-named amidst a stage roast this was her response:
Jenner fired back: "I'm a person trying to figure out my life just like everyone else. All I want for future generations of transgender people is that if I can find the courage to be who I am, then you can too." "If you have a problem with that, then you can suck my d***, if you can find it."

edit: Not going to lie. After having seen this particular troll around numerous sensitive subjects, always poking at the periphery, it's good to see them be given a time-out.

Last edited:

FeistyBoots

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
You're using a trans person talking about themselves as some sort of carte blanche for others to deadname them. Could you point to a source where she says she's alright with other people deadnaming her? Without it I'm not really sure why you're chasing this rabbit.

The last time I can see that she was dead-named amidst a stage roast this was her response:

edit: Not going to lie. After having seen this particular troll around numerous sensitive subjects, always poking at the periphery, it's good to see them be given a time-out.

Yeah, I'm pretty sick of some not-so-subtle transphobes on this site constantly cissplaining to us trans folx that we're wrong about our own community and understanding of what it means to be trans. Like, they can fuck right off with that.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
SNL writing continues to nose dive into "Man, this were less complicated when were younger..." old people comedy.

No thanks.

Dec 22, 2017
"Hanging out with the Kardashians will make ya soft, fellas. May even turn you into a woman! Just like this fella, fellas!!"

Wtf. What a shitty, horrible joke. In 2019 how did this make it on the air?