Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
So they thought "let's install the bridge and then install structural support later"?

I was wondering why there was no pier in the middle.

they probably were told a small scale span like this wouldn't need it. could be a reason, and this was the fault of it's construction/materials used and now how it was put together.

I mean sure, but could reason for collapse to be as simple as that they haven't installed suspensions? I'm now curious to know how suspension bridges are usually built, like at which point and how quickly suspensions are put in place?

I think on large scale bridges the towers are built first, cables a ran across the span and the deck is finally built from one side to the other.

Oct 25, 2017
C_EeytwXcAA0tRH.jpg

wasn't anywhere near the final product. looks like that middle pillar(lower) wasn't even installed yet.
That center pillar is what is already there and seemingly failed just supporting half of the design.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
Just heard on CNN there's at least one confirmed death, but likely more might follow.
What a senseless mess.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Friends daughter captured video from her dorm, you just hear this car horn going and you know....that's someone pinned up against it. Depressingly frightening.

dred

Oct 27, 2017
Something definitely isn't right here. The deck of a suspension bridge isn't designed to span in the temporary case without the rest of the bridge or temporary support in place, otherwise you would just do it single span without the suspension components.

Before I saw the model I thought they were going for some kind of truss and was wondering how they dealt with lateral stability of the bridge since the truss was in the middle. Now I'm not sure what the sequence of works was supposed to be.
Yeah, if you look at the first picture in this article it looks like the left support wasn't sized to support the load of the span without the suspension structure so it snapped. Without those cables there is a massive amount of torque (moment) on that support due to the weight of the bridge.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus not even a week old? People need to go to jail for this. Our infrastructure is shit enough as it is.

ronco2000

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Looks like all the structural elements wasn't installed yet to support that span. They shouldn't have put up that portion of the bridge without those, or better yet, open that road to the public.

Saiyaman

Dec 19, 2017
Holy shit, I go to FIU and was just by there this morning before it fell...

Trying to get in contact with a friend of mine, she drives through there every day around the time that it fell, I hope she's okay.

My heart goes out to everyone affected by this.

Edit: She's okay, thank goodness.

Last edited:

Sephiroth503

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, if you look at the first picture in this article it looks like the left support wasn't sized to support the load of the span without the suspension structure so it snapped. Without those cables there is a massive amount of torque (moment) on that support due to the weight of the bridge.

Yeah, the steel member (now horizontal in collapsed state but should be vertical ordinarily) looks like it just popped out of the main pier as though the connection wasn't designed for any rotational stiffness.

I work as a Structural Engineer and something like this happening is always a worry in the back of the mind. Horrifying stuff this.

Dec 13, 2017
I was literally driving by there today before this happened. Thankfully all my friends at FIU are safe, but how terribly sad. I've been out of touch with the school and what's going on since graduating, and had no idea why they're building that bridge there anyway. I know there are the apartments by there but people used to cross the street all the time. Poor choice to put this up without it being completed 100% on such a busy intersection.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
they probably were told a small scale span like this wouldn't need it. could be a reason, and this was the fault of it's construction/materials used and now how it was put together.
I'm not a structural engineer, but even with what I do know that bridge looked way too flimsy.

I think on large scale bridges the towers are built first, cables a ran across the span and the deck is finally built from one side to the other.
They should have had some temporary support until they installed the suspension. Even if it hadn't collapsed without it, the strain could have caused enough damage to shorten the lifespan.

King Tubby

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if you're the president, and you say something is safe, does that mean you aren't responsible when it turns out it isn't?

What does it mean to make a claim about something being safe when you're in a position of power? I dunno man. I don't think all the responsibility for this disaster needs to be one single entity and blame should be distributed to everyone involved, but I hope the principal at least catches some flak for attaching his name to the claim.

If the president made a decision somewhere along the way that would clearly/directly lead to the bridge being unsafe, then of course he should be held responsible. Not for saying that the bridge contributed to student safety. That's the whole reason it was built, and if he was reasonably assured that it was constructed properly, it's a fine thing for him to say.

Plenty of heads are going to roll once the investigation has been completed, but this isn't reason for anything.

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
There's tweets saying there was a stress test at time of collapse... I don't believe that they would try a stress test with pedestrians/cars underneath. If they did, then got another problem with whoever is making the bridge.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
They should have had some temporary support until they installed the suspension. Even if it hadn't collapsed without it, the strain could have caused enough damage to shorten the lifespan.

that might have been the next step, maybe even as early as this weekend.

it's really sad to see people lose their lives over the need to have work done fast enough as to not disrupt traffic for a long period of time. dumb risk, close the road for a longer period and make it safe.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Man this is awful.
reminds me of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyatt_Regency_walkway_collapse

114 died with 216 due to structural issues. They actually they teach about this shit in most engineering classes as a case of someone making decision to change the design. Which MIGHT be the case it wasnt the engineers fault and it may the contractors fault. This is going to be a HUGE issue.

Especially when running construction projects if the contractors didnt follow design OR the may have possibly not been alerted to certain design changes etc.

It really either could be any phase of when they designed it, to when they got materials or if contractors didnt follow design, made shortcuts with materials etc.

This is so fucked up and its extremely sad people still dont learn from that tragedy I mentioned above. It was the worst accident in the US until 9/11 happened but I dont think many people know about it.

I work in this industry, but from a technical perspective and I wholly wonder if they had some system in place to track who did what because if not. Man all parties maybe fucked and for good measure for how this was constructed.

Sephiroth503

Oct 26, 2017
There's tweets saying there was a stress test at time of collapse... I don't believe that they would try a stress test with pedestrians/cars underneath. If they did, then got another problem with whoever is making the bridge.

If anything there may have been gauges on the structure to measure movement/strain but to be actively undergoing a stress test would be very unusual with traffic below. The deck of a cable stayed bridge is not designed to carry load in the temporary case without intermediate support.

Dankir

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
  • It was designed to withstand a Category 5 hurricane.
  • Its durability was supposed to exceed 100 years.
  • It's the first bridge in the world to be constructed entirely of self-cleaning concrete: It's made of titanium dioxide which, when exposed to sunlight, captures pollutant particles from the air and cleans its own concrete surfaces.
  • It was installed in just a few hours just five days ago, although its construction wasn't finished.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
I'm glad that my family and friends are safe but I still feel sick for the victims of this. Driving around Miami there are constantly projects going on around the roadways and I hope that the State govt is going to exert more oversight in their safety now.

xbhaskarx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NorCal
http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/f...on-firms-accused-of-unsafe-practices-10176596

Two of the biggest firms that built the Florida International University pedestrian bridge that collapsed todayhave recently been accused of unsafe practices. In one of those cases, another bridge project toppled onto workers.

Wow.

A photo of Manafort, Jiehe, and Jorge and Fernando Munilla, along with other dealmakers, was posted on the website of Brad Zackson, a real estate player who reportedly brought the men together. Zackson was a protégé of Fred Trump, Donald's father, who had once been in charge of renting out The Trump Organization's properties in Queens. Zackson was arrested in 1981 for allegedly attempting to shoot a club bouncer. He took a plea deal and served almost five years in prison. Zackson went on to found his own brokerage and investment firm, called Dynamic Group.​

WOW... Paul Manafort and a protege of Fred Trump!

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
Wonder what the plan was for this. It's easy to say/see that it doesn't have the proper supports in place. But surely they wouldn't have left it like this if they didn't think it could support itself in that condition. Hope there are answers to be had and something to be learned from this.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Oh holy hell that is horrible. Being crushed by a 950 tin bridge, looking at those crushed cars makes me wonder if the people got a swift death or not :(

Makes my whole body shudder