Votes: 299 10.7%
  • 4mil

Votes: 241 8.6%
  • 5mil

Votes: 585 20.9%

• Total voters

Ravager777

Jan 1, 2018
The 3DS was more or less dead and buried when Samus Returns launched. It was not the only 2017+ 3DS game to bomb. That doesn't really tell us anything besides how silly it was to try and launch that on 3DS only when the Switch took off like it did.

Where are you getting the idea that Hollow Knight hasn't sold a lot on Switch? Isn't it likely over 4M on all platforms right now? For an indie game that's incredibly impressive, and it was on Switch and PC only for most of its life. DKTF is a port which has sold more on Switch than on Wii U, somewhere north of 3M right?
I haven't been able to find any exact data regarding Hollow Knight sales on Switch but seems likely it has sold 1+ million by now. That's of course a lot for an indie game. I also haven't been able to find any exact data regarding current sales of Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze but seems like it is somewhere between 3 - 4 million on Switch. So there is definately a possibility for Metroid Dread to do well, even at a $60 price tag

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it will do well, maybe even the best selling installment in the series, but 5 million is a tall ask if things like DKC and Fire Emblem can't even hit that.

The big benefit it has is a red hot Switch user base that is massive and it has a nice window as one of the bigger holiday/fall releases.

PillFencer

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Realistically, Dread won't break 2 million
Expecting Metroid 5 on Switch to not even come close to the heights of the series is far from realistic. Absolute worst case scenario is just barely under the original Metroid at 2,5m minimum. It looks great and as long as it's well-received it won't have any problem finding that kind of success.

carlosfilho

Feb 3, 2021
When it ends up being a pretty successful game, watch as the argument quickly shifts from "it's not gonna do well, look at the Samus Returns sales" to "wow, Switch users are really stupid for buying a 60 buck 2D game"

Ravager777

Jan 1, 2018
I came across this gloomy article regarding Metroid Samus Returns from 2017 when trying to find data regarding the budget for Metroid Samus Returns. Kinda funny to read it now when Metroid Dread has been announced. I wonder what Nintendo expects in terms of sales for Metroid Dread to be a commercial success.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Switch first party sales cannot make up for genre and IP limitations.

DKC, Kirby and Yoshi all had Switch entries and are generally more popular than Metroid with casual audiences, yet none of them have come close to 5 million. Fire Emblem is more popular than ever and has a highly successful mobile title plus an active fanbase, yet it only surpassed 3 million recently.

Metroid just can't compete with Mario and Zelda games, which break the 5 million barrier with little effort. Prime 4 has the best chance of this due to being close to a FPS, but it's still not guaranteed.

Japanese sales are also very important for those breaking records, which is a segment Metroid has little appeal to.

Reminder, Hollow Knight is one of the most popular Metroidvanias out there, is around 15 bucks and it's multiplatform, and it has only sold 2.85 million total.
Yoshi is a good comparable. On average Yoshi games sell more than Metroid but if you look at their recent output it's similar

Samus Returns and Poochy and Yoshi's Woolly World sold roughly similar numbers. The GBA Yoshis Island came out the same year as Metroid Prime and they sold similar numbers. That said Yoshi has had a 3DS and Wii U game that sold in around the 1.5 to 2 mill mark. Yoshi's crafted world is just over 2 mill.

Yoshi has a casual audience that Metroid does not and even if people agree or not, Metroidvania, even the ones that have done well have done so at a lower price point. Samus being in Smash will help but I don't know how people are saying an easy 3 mill sales when the series has never really had that power in a very long time, if ever. Hell Yoshi has had 2 games ever hit over 3 mill.

I love Metroid, I've played thru all the 2d ones recently and they have been great. I just don't think a 2d Metroid has the ability to be a big seller.

I liked Samus Returns but I feel like because it was a remake it definitely felt dated as far as the genre was concerned. If Dread can take a step forward I think it has a great chance to hit that 3 mill mark but I don't know if it will get much higher

LuckyNumber69

Apr 30, 2021
Ahahaha, no. Is this another one of those things like FF7R vs. AC where people here vastly overestimate a game's sales potential? 3M for a 2d Metroid is already an incredibly lofty goal, yet not only are many people treated that as guaranteed, but some legit think this is gonna so much as sniff 5M sales? Really??

I think 2m is a good, achievable goal, which would still be really great and make it one of the best selling Metroid games, and only the 3rd game (after Metroid 1 and Prime 1) to sell over 2M copies. It would also be *by far* the best selling Metroid in a very long time.

Not that "only" selling 2M for this game is some kind of deal breaker in terms of the franchise seeing new sales heights, anyway. Prime 4 will be the true litmus test of that.

DeadeyeNull

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 26, 2018
Looking at the top software sales numbers for the switch I would guess between 2.5 and 3.5mil, as long as it's good. I think a prime 4 has a better chance at hitting 5mil.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Prime 4 does have potential to be a "gateway" entry that elevates the series' overall mindshare.

Zelda was going down on sales until BotW came and changed everything. Since then, even Zelda spin-offs have been reaching heights comparable to older mainline Zeldas. Hyrule Warriors alone could end up surpassing GCN Wind Waker's numbers in the not far off future.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
It doesn't need to be an evergreen title, but I hope it'll do 5 mil. Fire Emblem Three Houses didn't even crack 4 million yet, to my knowledge. So I put 3.5 mil just to be safe.

I think it'll easily be the best selling Metroid.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
People have a lot of expectations for a $60 2D side-scroller from a franchise that's historically not sold particularly well.

ArcaneStar_

Sep 14, 2018
it will sell 2 million and it will be fantastic, almost the best selling game in the entire franchise, but for some dumb reason you all will be "disappointed" by it because it didnt sell 85 cumjilion copies in two weeks

Even if it sells 3 million and is the biggest seller of the franchise im sure you will all find a way to spin it so it looks bad

I really want to believe in 5 mill, tho, would be absolutely crazy

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
we're gonna see if the kids want to play a separate game starring that robot with the charge shot from smash brothers

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
Prime 4 does have potential to be a "gateway" entry that elevates the series' overall mindshare.

Zelda was going down on sales until BotW came and changed everything. Since then, even Zelda spin-offs have been reaching heights comparable to older mainline Zeldas. Hyrule Warriors alone could end up surpassing GCN Wind Waker's numbers in the not far off future.
And, if Prime 4 comes out great, it would also give Dread better legs, as people who skipped it give it a chance after being impressed by Prime 4. There's never been a console with both a Prime game and a main series game (if we consider Other M a spin-off, at least).

Kingpin722

Oct 28, 2017
I think it'll sell 5 million. Nintendo basically rolled out the red carpet for it at E3 and it seems to be reflecting positively across social media. The announcement trailer on Nintendo's channel has 1 million views in a couple days. That's damn good for a franchise that's had historically pedestrian saws numbers.

If it reviews really well, which I expect, I think word of mouth will carry it to big numbers. This current generation of gamers seem to be more willing to play games based on others approval.

ProtomanNeo

Oct 27, 2017
At that price point it would be nice if with your purchase or preorder you'd get a digital copy of Fusion and / or Zero Mission. That I think could push it to higher highs.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
It's hard to say really. Nintendo has been non stop promoting Dread and SMTV on Twitter since Tuesday. They obviously see them as their big holiday games alongside Pokemon BDSP. It's really on Nintendo's marketing. I don't think it'll be 5 million lifetime but pretty close

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
What about this new Metroid is gonna expand its core appeal dramatically outside of being on a hot console like Switch?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
What about this new Metroid is gonna expand its core appeal dramatically outside of being on a hot console like Switch?

The growth in popularity of the series in its long hiatus, the shock/mystique of this being a project 15 years in the works that was leaked over a decade ago, the fact that the gameplay footage has seen near universal acclaim, and most importantly:

The fact that it's being marketed as their big core holiday title.

Hu3

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SRPGs are not known to be big sellers, I don't really get where this idea that FE games must sell better than Metroid games come from. Back when Metroid games were being regularly released they were outselling FE games.

fire emblem got a face lift, they added the "waifu" factor, they added dating sim to the game, school management, social links, all the right elements to appeal to this gaming generation. You thing that Metroid a 2D side scroller, that was dead for a decade is going to sell gangbusters. I love Metroid but some of you are kidding yourselves thinking that this game will set Nintendo on fire.

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
Tough, but I believe it's possible.

Switch is a hot commodity and the hype surrounding Metroid right now can carry that momentum.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
fire emblem got a face lift, they added the "waifu" factor, they added dating sim to the game, school management, social links, all the right elements to appeal to this gaming generation. You thing that Metroid a 2D side scroller, that was dead for a decade is going to sell gangbusters. I love Metroid but some of you are kidding yourselves thinking that this game will set Nintendo on fire.

With all of that the best selling FE game has likely sold just 200k or so more than the best selling Metroid game.

That's what I don't get about this comparison, historically when Metroid games and FE games were both coming out together the former sold better. Why do we assume that will have changed when we haven't seen a real effort behind a Metroid game in like 15 years.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
With all of that the best selling FE game has likely sold just 200k or so more than the best selling Metroid game.

That's what I don't get about this comparison, historically when Metroid games and FE games were both coming out together the former sold better. Why do we assume that will have changed when we haven't seen a real effort behind a Metroid game in like 15 years.
Best selling Metroid was a FPS spinoff. Second best was the first ever. Fire Emblems sold better in the last decade

Hu3

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

the fire emblem I played as a kid is not the same fire emblem people are playing now. Metroid dread looks exactly the same as super Metroid. That should be an indicative to you.

PillFencer

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Best-selling SRPG until the Switch came out: Final Fantasy Tactics at 2,4m
Best-selling 2D metroidvania until the Switch came out: Metroid at 2,74m

Yo 2D metroidvanias have limited appeal by nature, but check out a SRPG that literally only pushed the boundaries of the genre when it came to Switch and forget that Metroid is now doing the exact same thing.

Metroid dread looks exactly the same as super Metroid.

Excuse me, what

IneptEMP

Jan 14, 2019
I think the Smash factor + Switch factor will bring Dread to 4 million.

Also since when is 2D a barrier for the Nintendo Switch playerbase? Like plenty of first party and indie games on Switch are 2D??? This isn't 2002; gamers aren't 3D-plane obsessed

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think a challenge with trying to draw a parable with a lot of existing series is that we still don't really have an accurate picture of what the ceiling for a modern Metroid game would be, given how it's been handled so lopsidedly over the years. People are bringing up Fire Emblem now, yet that was a series that didn't even scratch the best selling Metroid game until Three Houses came along, and despite all of the hubbub about Fire Emblem having to appeal to anime fans even harder to do reach success, Three Houses broke sales records somehow without having anything comparable to Camilla plastered all over the marketing in such an aggressive fashion.

Dread being 2D may have an effect on it not attaining its highest potential ceiling, and I think it's likely it won't reach that ceiling until Prime 4 comes along. It also probably won't end up affecting the fact that the ceiling can be raised at all. The unlikeliest sales successes come along when you least expect it. If you told me 15 years ago that Luigi's Mansion, a humble experimental title that only sold a couple million, would go on to become a juggernaut selling ~10 million with its most recent entry, I'd have called you crazy, and yet here we are.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely not. I can see it doing 1-2m but beyond that feels like a stretch.

Metroid has its fanbase but it doesn't have broad appeal and even within the genre nowadays it faces tough competition. Like to a random metroidvania fan if they had the choice between this and Hollow Knight, it's a tough sell to convince them to choose Metroid for $60 over Hollow Knight for $30, especially when word of mouth is so strong for the latter.

Prime 4 is a different story though, that I can see easily breaking series records.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
the fire emblem I played as a kid is not the same fire emblem people are playing now. Metroid dread looks exactly the same as super Metroid. That should be an indicative to you.

I mean, it doesn't. At all. A much better comparison would be Metroid Fusion but even that is very flawed for a number of reasons.

But you're telling me FE is very different nowadays, while I'm trying to tell you the entire gaming landscape has changed drastically since Fusion. For one, Metroidvanias are like, 1000x more popular now.

LSauchelli

Oct 25, 2017
I think it will do 3 millon, becoming the best selling Metroid ever, but as soon as Metroid Prime arrives it will probably outsell it badly.

Hu3

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it doesn't. At all. A much better comparison would be Metroid Fusion but even that is very flawed for a number of reasons.

But you're telling me FE is very different nowadays, while I'm trying to tell you the entire gaming landscape has changed drastically since Fusion. For one, Metroidvanias are like, 1000x more popular now.

you said it yourself the gaming landscape has changed a lot that why fire emblem had to reinvent itself. Metroid dread structurally looks exactly as the Metroid we love " we as the people who had played Metroid in the past and know what we are getting. And yes Metroidvanias are more popular now than before. But they still appeal to an specific base.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Exactly all this

Realistically, Dread won't break 2 million
Realistically? Idk, Pikmin 3, the third game in a franchise that's well over a decade out from its heyday, is past 2 million on Switch. and it ain't even been a year yet.

2 mil is the floor for Dread IMO. I don't think it'll have insane numbers, mind you, but it will have legs.

If Bloodstained can hit >1mil and Hollow Knight can go beyond 3 mil, then a new Metroid game can sell well too, no doubt about it. Even despite being a Switch exclusive. Nintendo first party sells gangbusters nowadays.

Last edited:

PillFencer

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Realistically? Idk, Pikmin 3, the third game in a franchise that's well over a decade out from its heyday, is past 2 million on Switch. and it ain't even been a year yet.

2 mil is the floor for Dread IMO. I don't think it'll have insane numbers, mind you, but it will have legs.

If Bloodstained and Hollow Knight can make their way past 3 mil, then a new Metroid game can too, no doubt about it. Even despite being a Switch exclusive. Nintendo first party sells gangbusters nowadays.
Bloodstained actually "only" sold over 1 million units.
Bloodstained-May2021.png

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
you said it yourself the gaming landscape has changed a lot that why fire emblem had to reinvent itself. Metroid dread structurally looks exactly as the Metroid we love " we as the people who had played Metroid in the past and know what we are getting. And yes Metroidvanias are more popular now than before. But they still appeal to an specific base.

It doesn't, the name "Dread" is not just a cute callback, it's one of the new themes to this game that was absolutely not in Super and was just touched on in Fusion. But beyond that everything in this game looks much, much faster than any previous Metroid games. That's something which could help broaden its appeal.

Look, I don't know how this will sell. I think it'll break 3M eventually and I wouldn't be shocked if it does hit 5M, but I also realize it could wind up a lot lower. My point here is that you cannot really compare this game in this environment on this console to where the series was at 15 years ago, and comparisons to FE specifically strike me as very odd and inconsistent.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely not. I can see it doing 1-2m but beyond that feels like a stretch.

Metroid has its fanbase but it doesn't have broad appeal and even within the genre nowadays it faces tough competition. Like to a random metroidvania fan if they had the choice between this and Hollow Knight, it's a tough sell to convince them to choose Metroid for $60 over Hollow Knight for $30, especially when word of mouth is so strong for the latter.

Prime 4 is a different story though, that I can see easily breaking series records.
Hollow Knight has always been $15 bucks.