• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IronTed

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2019
Had no clue Prime 3 was the biggest Metroid opening in the UK until now. Weird

Oct 29, 2017
More people play games now than when previous Metroid games were released. It'd be surprising if it wasn't clearly the fastest selling to be honest.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
Prime 4 is gonna sell like hotcakes.....or at least I hope it will

Tialo

Dec 4, 2019
Nice. So what kind of numbers can we extrapolate here? Seems to be somewhere over 20k for retail launch?

dudu0609

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think this is quite expected.
Metroid Prime 3 launched on Wii which was a platform with majority causal gamers although huge installbase.
Switch with also big installbase has more hardcore gamers, then the sales of Metroid will be easily beating the Prime 3.

Congrats to Nintendo.

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
Nintendo's UK store failed to get me my special edition for launch day so I did the same! I'm not proud..
I got my SE from the Nintendo store on Friday, I didn't realise how big it was going to be. I didn't want to open it after my SE version of Samus Returns has shot up to £150 on Ebay, so decided to just buy it off the eShop aswell

Sep 20, 2021
More people play games now than when previous Metroid games were released. It'd be surprising if it wasn't clearly the fastest selling to be honest.

You forgot at least three factors:

- These are only physical sales numbers. Many people buy their games digital now.

- There are more games and gaming platforms available people can choose from.

- There are many other long running series that have declined or vanished despite potential more customers. Anyway Samus Returns was not a big seller and is relatively new game in the series.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
Phenomenanal news, really happy about this. Do we have an idea how the numbers compare to other Switch releases from this year?

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Fantastic news! I can only hope that it keeps on selling throughout the rest of the year!

i think it has already or is close to outselling Samoa Returns? It only did shy 800k Worldwide

Ravager777

Jan 1, 2018
I bought 3 copies, 1 standard edition and 2 special editions. The two special editions haven't arrived yet though but I plan on saving them both

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Thank god it is selling well enough. Its such a good game. Metroid deserves the chance to become a pillar of nintendo in this era of gaming.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Nice. I didn't expect it to do so well tbh. I hope this success will translate to Metroid Prime 4.

Tialo

Dec 4, 2019
I think if nothing really unexpected will happen, then its easy to say that MP4 will become the most successfully Metroid game so far.

Oct 27, 2017
ERblMyc.gif

Raikkonen94

Oct 4, 2019
The file size of the game is really small too, only 4 gigabytes I think? People might lean more towards the digital version because of that. Anyway, really curious to see how it it sells in the end. Maybe we have to wait until Nintendo shares sales data of CY Q4 somewhere in January next year.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017

It only really makes sense to compare it to previous nintendo user bases, not the market at large. Corruption came out less than a year into the Wii's lifespan, so there were <20m Wii's in the wild. There are probably around 90m Switches out there, so that probably explains much of the increase (I would guess buyers of metroid are likely to be early adopters, but that's not really quantifiable).

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking good. It's the best switch game I have played this year… Maybe the best since Fire Emblem.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Obvious caveats with just one market and only the boxed sales but this is promising for Metroid, looking likely that it'll be the first game in the series for a long while to go over 2m.

I don't think the numbers will go wild (it still did less than a Pokemon spin-off at launch in the one data point we have) but 3m, or thereabouts, seems achievable.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Awesome news! Given Snap was at 2.3 million after 4 months, it'll probably track up to 3 lifetime, so hopefully that means Dread will break 2 mil quite easily.

Very excited as this Metroid resurgence. Possibly Prime 1 remake next year let's gooo!!

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Glad to see it's doing well! I'm loving my time with it, even if I found a couple of things a little obtuse (probably my favorite Mercury Steam game so far tho)

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Maybe the nature of the game being less "casual" than some of the other series in there means it has a higher digital share
I would imagine if anything, the less casual a game is the higher its proportion of physical sales will be at launch. It's not casuals going out and buying the special edition and amiibos. Physical might appeal to more casuals later on once the game has been on shelves a bit longer, but in my mind a less casual game will probably sell a lot more physically than digitally.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Still using UK as a Europe reference?

I have to say I am no fan of Metroid, but this got my attention and gonna get it.

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
As a long term Metroid fan that's the kind of news you love to hear!

I hope it's looking the same in other regions as well.

CTRON

Jul 16, 2020
Well deserved.
Dread is good-not-great so far, so hopefully this means Nintendo greenlights a sequel that better lives up to the quality of modern metroidvanias.
Only a couple of hours in, but, so far, I'm enjoying it more than any of the modern Metroidvanias I've played, including Hollow Knight and Ori 1/2.