• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think Metro Exodus's Metacritic Score will be?

• 93-100

Votes: 69 3.6%
  • 89-92

Votes: 423 22.2%
  • 85-88

Votes: 827 43.4%
  • 81-84

Votes: 454 23.8%
  • <80

Votes: 131 6.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well cancelled my pre order. Sounds decent but not anything great that I was hoping for. Too much other stuff to play.

Liam1884

Oct 30, 2017
Now that is shocking. I expected this would be a 40 hour affair. Those load times sound outrageous too, Liam.

I'm afraid there's absolutely nowhere near 40 hours worth of content here. 25 maybe at an absolute stretch if you were to do literally everything, upgrades etc.

Yeah, I had a really, really bad time with the load screens. They're very bad on PS4.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
Yep, its like 20 hours if you do everything and listen to conversations? its probably bigger and longer than both previous games combined.. Also: they give you crossbow very late in the game :/

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Not an official review but rock paper shotgun put some impressions up:

All I can say is that, playing on PC with RTX enabled, it's one of the most impressive looking things I've ever seen. Truly a new landmark in terms of visual quality. Absolutely insane. Alex is doing a big video on it soon.
Awesome. Quick question, did you test out the game with RTX on and HDR on plus RTX on and HDR off? Curious what the difference was.

Not sure. I'm running a 2080ti at 4K with DLSS enabled and getting locked 60fps with Ultra preset.

I also played around at 4K with a 30fps cap which allowed me to run with PhysX, Hairworks, Extreme preset and RTX on high at a perfectly frame paced 30.

4k 60 with dlss and 4k 30 with rtx on high, interesting.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, that's how the game is it seems. Probably latency in the engine chain somewhere. It doesn't feel super responsive.
Is it better with mouse? Although I want to play on my 55" panny plasma :(

Thanks for the GFX info btw. I am still deciding if I should order 2080 or Ti, or just try it on my 1070.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Also, I think it's really important to note that the flow and design of this game is really impressive and unlike a typical open world game. It's a proper journey taking you to new lands at different times of the year. It's a structure that we don't see often and it's really slick.

My only complaint is that there can be too much standing around talking during story moments.

I love this aspect, reminds me of The Last of Us and it's journey / season changes as the story progresses. I wish more games did this.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I love this aspect, reminds me of The Last of Us and it's journey / season changes as the story progresses. I wish more games did this.
Yes, it's just like this except each place you stop is a mini-open world. You have things to do in the world but each journey out feels like a linear mission almost. It's an interesting design.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Oof. I don't mind whatever metacritic the game has, but these performance issues I'm reading about, even on the Xbox One X...

Thinking about cancelling my pre-order. I can take framerate dips, but freezing/crashing and bad load times? Nah.

Liam1884

Oct 30, 2017
Mmmg... finding all the collectibles, seeing "everything" (no spoilers here) and completing every trophy could easily bring the total towards 35/40 hours.

Going for the Platinum trophy would require two playthroughs, so yeah, 35-40 hours total.

There's no more than 25 hours max of content here for a single playthrough. It's not a big game.

Oct 26, 2017
My review is up, in Dutch. Played on Xbox One X.

http://www.4gamers.be/reviews/68055/1/Metro-Exodus

My score's a 75. The game's fun and it feels like it's predecessors in most areas where it counts. The new areas are pretty and invite to explore, though ultimately most of them offer little of interest but a few enemies to kill and some scrap to craft ammo with.

It's far from perfect, however. While the stealth gameplay is great, some sections force you into open combat, and the game simply isn't built for it. The story is uninteresting and the characters are annoying and simply won't shut up. Anna in particular is pretty bad, pretty much existing just as a regular reminder to the player of how great he is, and as an object for them to rescue. The vouce acting is lacking too: in fact the entire sound mix often feels off.

Worst of all, and this is what kept the game from reaching 80 or higher for me, is the performance. There's a few minor glitches that can occur during gameplay, but I've also seen no less than fifteen hard freezes, where I had to close the game and reload from the dashboard. Considering the load times to get back into the game can run up to four minutes: that's pretty bad.

I had fun playing Metro Exodus, but it doesn't quite hit the bar set by Last Light.

How is it visually and performance wise on X?

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Destructoid is up, 7/10:

Metro Exodus is a tour-de-force in apocalyptic exploration. It offers a rich, evolving world, brought to life with stunning visuals, immersive sound and ghastly creatures. These thrills and chills are irritatingly tempered with menial tasks, poor voice acting, dull stealth and a soulless hero, all of which prevent Metro Exodus from achieving its true potential.

https://www.destructoid.com/review-metro-exodus-542248.phtml

Arcadia

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
England
Hhmm I've pre-ordered this but can't say I'm looking forward to the load times on PS4 Pro. 1-4 minutes will irritate me.

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
How is it visually and performance wise on X?
Visually it's good, but not great. The levels themselves look pretty good (in particular one of the later ones is beautiful), but the texture quality is pretty low and the characters don't look good at all.

Performance can take some dips, especially in the early Moscow level. It evens out once you hit the bigger levels, oddly enough, but still feels like it drops below 30 occasionally.