• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
20 crossfit pullups, cakewalk. Kip your way to success.
3ZhlaqN.gif
This is now a CrossFit gif thread.

In addition to an Era Shame thread.

perineumlick

Nov 12, 2017
I used to be able to do 60 straight a couple of years ago, but fell off pretty bad. I can do about 45 now, but I also just turned 50 today, so I think I'm ahead of the game still.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I lift 5 times a week but I never do push-ups so 50 is my absolute limit. I don't know how people are saying 40 in a row is "ridiculously easy."

Oct 27, 2017
I lift 5 times a week but I never do push-ups so 50 is my absolute limit. I don't know how people are saying 40 in a row is "ridiculously easy."

They're not easy at all, people that are saying that or either really in ridiculously good shape already which is great, or they're not doing proper form push-up because that shit is hard.

The big thing that seems to be overlooked here is that in this particular instance it was paced at an extremely fast speed, so it looks like 40 in a minute's time. Talk about difficult.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
I usually do sets of 30, but I'll try 40 and let you guys know whether I'm doomed or not.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Welp. Just tried. Failed at 28. I'm not fat either (M 5'10" 130 pounds). Just really weak. :(
I've been working on trying to get stronger arms by doing a set of 15 push ups 4-5 times a day but it isn't helping.
What do?

Hit the gym and go regularly. Push ups alone may not be enough, esp if you're doing the same amount. If you do 15 one day, do 16 the next, and so on.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
They're not easy at all, people that are saying that or either really in ridiculously good shape already which is great, or they're not doing proper form push-up because that shit is hard.

The big thing that seems to be overlooked here is that in this particular instance it was paced at an extremely fast speed, so it looks like 40 in a minute's time. Talk about difficult.
It's not that difficult. Police cerification fitness tests require you to do 40-50 push ups in a minute depending on your age. When I did it my record was 94 in a minute. My son can do that too but he's in boot camp and push ups is all he does for punishment. I can still do 40 straight but not in a minute, but it would probably take a couple of weeks to get back to that point.

It's really not that hard

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
Most people I've seen claiming to be able to do push ups easily were doing them in a weak as fuck way. Like barely bend your arms kinda way. Done right, chest/nose to the ground, is not that easy.

Oct 27, 2017
It's not that difficult. Police cerification fitness tests require you to do 40-50 push ups in a minute depending on your age. When I did it my record was 94 in a minute. My son can do that too but he's in boot camp and push ups is all he does for punishment. I can still do 40 straight but not in a minute, but it would probably take a couple of weeks to get back to that point.

It's really not that hard

It is for the average person is the point. This is great if you're already in shape or fit. If you're the average office worker, this is going to take work.

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
Most people I've seen claiming to be able to do push ups easily were doing them in a weak as fuck way. Like barely bend your arms kinda way. Done right, chest/nose to the ground, is not that easy.

Yeah and your arms are supposed to be in, not spread apart. Most people use this wide ass stance that's practically worthless.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I probably can with the right warm up and attire. Just got down on my work floor in my work clothes and did 30. I usually do a routine that includes sets of 15 each normal, wide arm, spiderman, diamond (less than 15...those fuckers kill me), hindu and push-up and rotations (kind of a push up into side plank) then repeat...so yeah, if I'm in the right mindset 40 straight should be no problem. Not "easy" though...again, if you're using proper form, (elbows in, all the way down, pause, all the way up), there should be some challenge there.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I think I can probably work my way up to 40.

For those of you who can't do one, it helps to repeatedly try to do it, even if you can't finish it. It still works the right muscles. Keep it up and you'll eventually get it.

There are also different kinds of pushups. I'm not an expert or anything, but I'm pretty sure doing one with your elbows next to your body is WAY harder than doing one with your arms out perpendicular to it.

KaladinSB

Oct 27, 2017

For those of you who can't do one, it helps to repeatedly try to do it, even if you can't finish it. It still works the right muscles. Keep it up and you'll eventually get it.

There are also different kinds of pushups. I'm not an expert or anything, but I'm pretty sure doing one with your elbows next to your body is WAY harder than doing one with your arms out perpendicular to it.

I'm guessing standard perpendicular. Keeping your elbows in focuses more on your triceps.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017

That's because elbows next to your body makes your triceps work hard, if not the most

While elbows in a 45 degrees angle are more optimal if your goal is to make the chest do most of the work.

Your chest is stronger than your triceps

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing standard perpendicular. Keeping your elbows in focuses more on your triceps.
That's because elbows next to your body makes your triceps work hard, if not the most

While elbows in a 45 degrees angle are more optimal if your goal is to make the chest do most of the work.

Your chest is stronger than your triceps
This would explain why I can do a decent number of perpendicular ones, while I'm not sure I could even do one with elbows next to my body.

SuperEpicMan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 5'7, pretty slim and go to the gym a few days a week to lift, and 40 is doable but difficult for me. I usually do sets of 30 normally, so 40 kinda pushes me a little.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Men who can do 40 pushups are generally in decent condition and that's why they're less likely to have cardiovascular problems. It's not the pushups making them healthy; the pushups are an indicator of overall fitness. This should be obvious.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can do over 100. 117 about a week ago. I've actually graduated to handstand pushups.

That being said, my total cholesterol is bad despite healthy eating habits and regular exercise (lost the genetic lottery-- my mum has the same issue). I'll probably die from a heart attack one day.

Feels bad, man.

Awful is what it is. lol.

ArachosiA

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
At my peak fitness I could do about 60. Now only about 35. Eh, I probably could do 40 but just barely. I gotta get back on shape...

Oct 27, 2017
I don't do high rep anything these days.

Slower reps in both positive and negative directions for a max of 12 per set.

I do 'uneven pushups' regularly. I think they're amazing. Give them a go...

KingFrost92

Oct 26, 2017
Oregon
I have a serious genetic heart condition and I can do 15. I weigh 250 at 6' 1" though, so if I lost weight I'm sure I'd be fine. I do a lot of weights but not push ups because it's hell on my ankles and their misplaced bones.

Not being able to do normal workouts sucks, btw. My heart rate can't go above 130 due to medication I take and the pacemaker I have installed. Anything above that and I get drastically dizzy as my medication kicks in to slow down my heart.