caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
Attempted to do some (very unscientific) disk tests with crystaldiskmark on my 256 GB Intel 600p NVMe drive, and see no huge performance loss on the update. At worst, <5% speed loss

Oh this requires you to be on 1709?

Ehhhhhh.
yeah, no 1703 branch update yet so I just jumped to the new branch

never mind, it's out now

gagewood

Oct 25, 2017
In the last year we had the Cloudflare Cloudbleed, WannaCry ransomware, Equifax data breach, CCleaner backdoor, HP keylogger, KRACK wi-fi flaw, and now Meltdown/Spectre.

Starting to think Ron Swanson had the right idea...

VboltQz.gif

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is everyone on 1709?

I ran the updates and it started the latest creators update, it's now finished and I've lost about 16gb of space on my SSD. I cannot see one feature I will use in this.

Seems as though the fix requires 1709 but I'm livid at losing 16gb for fucking nothing.
If you've just updated to the Creator's Update then Windows will have saved a back up of your old system incase you want to rollback. You can check this by going into your SSD and looking for a folder called Windows.old. to delete it run Disk Cleanup and select "Previous Windows Installation(s)"

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
wonder when the long term support XP branches (POSReady, etc) are going to get a update now, heh

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
So with all of this information going on and all the confusion, can someone sum up what is going on? I have an Intel CPU and I already patched it. Obviously I'll continue to patch, but does applying this patch reduce my performance or what? Because I'm reading that the patch causes performance lost in Intel chips.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Is everyone on 1709?

I ran the updates and it started the latest creators update, it's now finished and I've lost about 16gb of space on my SSD. I cannot see one feature I will use in this.

Seems as though the fix requires 1709 but I'm livid at losing 16gb for fucking nothing.
Oh this requires you to be on 1709?

Ehhhhhh.
I don't believe so. If you look at the patches for 1703 for example, there was also a patch released on the 3rd of Jan which also mentions security fixes, including the kernel.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4056891

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
Attempted to do some (very unscientific) disk tests with crystaldiskmark on my 256 GB Intel 600p NVMe drive, and see no huge performance loss on the update. At worst, <5% speed loss

yeah, no 1703 branch update yet so I just jumped to the new branch

never mind, it's out now
I don't believe so. If you look at the patches for 1703 for example, there was also a patch released on the 3rd of Jan which also mentions security fixes, including the kernel.

This does not require 1709. You can manually download the update based on what version it is.

Here is the kb for build 1703 for this particular update.

Oh sweet thanks :D

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Man, this is utterly fucked. Intel really screwed the pooch here

Not just Intel, but potentially any system the last 20 years using speculative execution techniques.

ARM has come out with a statement that their chips are affected; who knows how many Android devices will basically go unpatched forever.

Dobby

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hard to believe this hasn't been exploited in the wild yet.

Seems like potentially the most profitable exploit ever discovered in the history of modern computing.

Grateful the security researcher who found it was on the right team.. But you have to think their resources are a fraction of Black Hat hackers.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
So uh Windows 10 keeps telling me there are no updates available

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Hard to believe this hasn't been exploited in the wild yet.

Seems like potentially the most profitable exploit ever discovered in the history of modern computing.

Grateful the security researcher who found it was on the right team.. But you have to think their resources are a fraction of Black Hat hackers.
Let's not assume it hasn't been exploited. I would not be surprised if various governments or large corporations aren't utilizing these to get information on people.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
Patched my i7-7700k system, seeing about a 4% drop in CPU-Z benchmarks, but otherwise no performance decreases to the naked eye. Ran some Destiny 2 and my FPS was exactly the same as pre-patch.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
The link in the OP only gives 1709 updates. Glad to hear you don't need it but it's too late for me. Had no idea 1709 was effectively a new install.

I might have to roll back as I use IE11 sometimes and the tabs no longer show the site web icons, each tab now has the plain explorer icon.

Others having the same issue
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...709-ie11/96269456-4a80-4c93-a580-7b8cf3297fcb

Might be easier to roll back. These creator updates are just awful.

Previous creator updates have removed reopen a closed tab and made your top sites boxes rely on cookies so when you clean them all your sites you've added disappear and MS populate with their own suggestions including the Daily Mail, facebook and other rubbish. You have to manually type your favs in each time you clear. Also they introduced news feed by default if you launch a new tab and disabling this this relies on cookies. I just like using IE11 on my gaming PC for mainstream browsing and using quick zoom view option but I might have to give up.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah if it had required the creator's update I'd skipped it. Not worth that hassle.

So far I'm just noticing mod organizer feels like it's dragging when it boots Skyrim. Otherwise no fps drops. But my god the drag in it booting is ridiculous. Feels like it's almost twice as long. /

OP
OP
Mr.Mike

Mr.Mike

Oct 25, 2017
I've changed the link in OP to be one that has all the different versions of the update. Sorry for any inconvenience.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Not just Intel, but potentially any system the last 20 years using speculative execution techniques.

ARM has come out with a statement that their chips are affected; who knows how many Android devices will basically go unpatched forever.

Like I mentioned earlier, Meltdown is the more catastrophic one but is relatively easy to patch. Spectre relies on branch prediction so there's a lot of variables that limit its effectiveness -- processor specific is one. However, it is the more difficult one to patch, as noted by the quote from Dark494 earlier:

Spectre is a can of worms. The way the netsec guys explained it to me was this:

Software patches can attempt to patch known avenues that exploit Spectre as they become known, but the underlying problem in the hardware that makes Spectre a vulnerability is an inherent flaw in the hardware and there's no fix for it without rearchitecting the hardware in the future, or just straight up turning off speculative execution which would lead to worse performance hits than the current patches going around to address Meltdown (this is the KPTI patch that impacts syscalls). They're not resorting to that or it would impact everyone and everything much more than this patch will, so over time expect incremental patches to more or less patch up holes Spectre makes when people discover them.

https://www.reddit.com/r/netsec/comments/7nya2h/meltdown_and_spectre_cpu_bugs/

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Like I mentioned earlier, Meltdown is the more catastrophic one but is relatively easy to patch. Spectre relies on branch prediction so there's a lot of variables that limit its effectiveness -- processor specific is one. However, it is the more difficult one to patch, as noted by the quote from Dark494 earlier:

Yup.

One thing that hasn't really been mentioned–and I almost feel it needs its own thread on the Gaming side–is vulnerability of game consoles. I imagine all of the current gen and last gen consoles are vulnerable to attack. The most likely attack vector would be the included web browsers, as the Javascript exploit code I've seen is trivial.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Yup.

One thing that hasn't really been mentioned–and I almost feel it needs its own thread on the Gaming side–is vulnerability of game consoles. I imagine all of the current gen and last gen consoles are vulnerable to attack. The most likely attack vector would be the included web browsers, as the Javascript exploit code I've seen is trivial.

That's a good point. They're known processors -- literally identical CPUs in each console -- so they'll be highly vulnerable to Spectre.

edit: I'm editing my post earlier to include the assessment matrix now officially published by AMD: https://www.amd.com/en/corporate/speculative-execution

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Yup.

And console makers are so slow to update said browser since it's not a major focus of the consoles.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
And final post for the night since it's getting late: since they were one of the first to report it, The Register has a (snarky) analysis of what just transpired tonight: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/04/intels_spin_the_registers_annotations/

Some tidbits:

Meltdown – on Intel CPUs and the Arm Cortex-A75 – allows normal applications to read protected kernel memory, allowing them to steal passwords and other secrets. It is easy to exploit, but easy to patch – and workarounds to kill the vulnerability are available for Windows and Linux, and are already in macOS High Sierra, for Intel parts. There are Linux kernel patches available for the Cortex-A75.

There's also another security flaw named Spectre that affects, to varying degrees, Intel, AMD, and Arm. Depending on your CPU, Spectre allows normal apps to potentially steal information from other apps, the kernel, or the underlying hypervisor. Spectre is difficult to exploit, but also difficult to fully patch – and is going to be the real stinger from all of this.

If you hammer the disk, the network, or use software that makes lots of system calls in and out of the kernel, and you're lacking working PCID support, you will see a performance hit. And it's a good idea to warn you, right?

It's a given for this particular issue that any slowdown is dependent upon the kind of work the affected system is being asked to do. Gamers will maintain their frame rates, but that's not what this is about. It's about enterprise workloads and data centers. With reports of SQL database slowdowns of up to 20 or so per cent, it seems premature to say the impact should not be significant. If a company's AWS, Microsoft Azure, or Google Cloud bill ends up being, say, three, five or eight per cent higher as a consequence of prolonged compute times, that's significant.

They also link to Linus Torvalds' response to Intel, but I think that has already been posted here.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
So the tldr is that Microsoft is patching one of the issues, but that patch isn't up for the newest version of Windows yet?

Is there more data on how much this truly slows things down?

Are there any plans for a class action against Intel? Are customers just expected to accept a performance hit?

Have we seen any malware using this method as an attack vector yet?

How worried should I really be about this?

mugurumakensei

Oct 25, 2017
So the tldr is that Microsoft is patching one of the issues, but that patch isn't up for the newest version of Windows yet?

Is there more data on how much this truly slows things down?

Are there any plans for a class action against Intel? Are customers just expected to accept a performance hit?

Have we seen any malware using this method as an attack vector yet?

How worried should in really be about this?

1) I'm pretty sure windows 10 patch has been downloaded by some already.
2) no noticeable performance impact for the average computer workload. In this very thread, people have already tested games or 3D mark showing no hit outside of the margin of error. For heavy IO and network traffic, you're more likely to hit the 30% performance hit. Microsoft, Digital Ocean, Amazon, etc are the big losers rather than desktop pc users.
3) likely not as 2 out of the 3 attack variants occur on all processors and one variant also affects the cortex a75 arm processor.
4) no known malware uses this attack vector.
5) just make sure you update.

Edit:

Addendum: long term Spectre which impacts everyone will be a bigger issue as it does allow reading other processes memory and has no known fix at this point in time.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
1) I'm pretty sure windows 10 patch has been downloaded by some already.
2) no noticeable performance impact for the average computer workload. In this very thread, people have already tested games or 3D mark showing no hit outside of the margin of error. For heavy IO and network traffic, you're more likely to hit the 30% performance hit. Microsoft, Digital Ocean, Amazon, etc are the big losers rather than desktop pc users.
3) likely not as 2 out of the 3 attack variants occur on all processors and one variant also affects the cortex a75 arm processor.
4) no known malware uses this attack vector.
5) just make sure you update.

Edit:

Addendum: long term Spectre which impacts everyone will be a bigger issue as it does allow reading other processes memory and has no known fix at this point in time.
best post in this thread, thank you! :)

kitress

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This does seem more serious than what was said in Intel's initial press release. What is the likelihood of Intel getting sued for this?

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
Let's not assume it hasn't been exploited. I would not be surprised if various governments or large corporations aren't utilizing these to get information on people.

Bingo. If you think something hasn't be exploited, it likely means it hasn't been exploited that we know of. If you have doubts, read an indepth analysis of Stuxnet, the malware designed to target the Iranian Nuclear Program, that was believed to have been developed by Israel and the US working together.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
I just realised my phone no longer gets security updates. Are there any ways to protect myself, like a noscript for Android browsers?

mugurumakensei

Oct 25, 2017
I just realised my phone no longer gets security updates. Are there any ways to protect myself, like a noscript for Android browsers?

Eh, you can turn off JavaScript in your mobile devices. That said, Spectre vulnerability allows programs to read other process memory so you'll also have to scrutinize any apps you download.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone done a before and after of The Witcher 3 for this patch? That game is supposedly very CPU intensive.

mugurumakensei

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone done a before and after of The Witcher 3 for this patch? That game is supposedly very CPU intensive.

Again CPU intensive activities are not harmed by the patches. Things which require transfer of control from the program to the kernel like network calls and reading/writing from/to external storage are what's impacted most.

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I started playing yesterday for the first time, installed the patch this morning, didn't notice a difference afterwards. That said I didn't futz with the video settings at any point. It started at 60fps and remained 60fps after the patch.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, you can turn off JavaScript in your mobile devices. That said, Spectre vulnerability allows programs to read other process memory so you'll also have to scrutinize any apps you download.

I'm probably unreasonably wary of any apps I download but I'm looking for something that can whitelist certain sites or scripts rather than globally block all JavaScript and break most websites I visit.

Edit: meaning something that is actually designed for mobile in terms of UI hopefully.

mugurumakensei

Oct 25, 2017
I started playing yesterday for the first time, installed the patch this morning, didn't notice a difference afterwards. That said I didn't futz with the video settings at any point. It started at 60fps and remained 60fps after the patch.

Eh, the thing that would be impacted would be load times. Witcher 3 is single player so there's no network traffic. The only impact it could have would be during loading as that should be the only time there's a large number of system calls which is what was slowed down by these patches.

Vipu

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So this update have to be downloaded manually at the moment?
Is any creators updated required to download it?
No negative effect from patch so far for normal users?

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I'm probably unreasonably wary of any apps I download but I'm looking for something that can whitelist certain sites or scripts rather than globally block all JavaScript and break most websites I visit.

Edit: meaning something that is actually designed for mobile in terms of UI hopefully.

The chances are still decently high that one rogue third-party JS could get through the gauntlet and get loaded on a site you trust. Your security would be compromised at that point and you wouldn't even know it. I hate to say it, but if you know your phone will never get security updates, you should think strongly about a phone that will.