Deleted member 50949

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Dec 16, 2018
Every news I hear about the smash fandom, it's always trash. I don't think other FGCs with all their problems have as many issues as the smash community

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
It's actually pretty impressive how most everyone just sort of quiets down after it happens. They aren't egging it on or laughing (except for one quiet voice in the background), they're all just as surprised as the player is by how pathetic and sad it is.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Until the FGC addresses the toxic masculinity that plagues it, you'll just keep seeing more and more shit like this.

Don't get pissed off at someone stating the obvious. Get pissed off at the underlying factors that cause this garbage and do something about it.

Sure, but im not sure what that has to do with randomly assuming someones sexual orientation. Left field was apt.

Kyora90

Apr 15, 2018
Until the FGC addresses the toxic masculinity that plagues it, you'll just keep seeing more and more shit like this.

Don't get pissed off at someone stating the obvious. Get pissed off at the underlying factors that cause this garbage and do something about it.
That has nothing to do with toxic masculinity. No one was laughing. And that has nothing to do with sexual orientation.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
Can
For those asking, the crab thing is a meme. It's from some dancing crab video that's usually accompanied with "X is dead!" text. People like to say that Hbox winning is 'killing melee' and I'm guessing that's where the crab comes in here.

"Killing melee". It's a 20 year old game. That just sounds crazy to me.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Sure, but im not sure what that has to do with randomly assuming someones sexual orientation. Left field was apt.
That has nothing to do with toxic masculinity. No one was laughing. And that has nothing to do with sexual orientation.
If you don't think the root of this behaviour, and all the rest of the shit that plagues the gaming community, is heteronormative aggressive masculinity, then I don't know what to tell you.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017

This has literally nothing to do with sexual orientation. How do you even known what their sexual preference is when the crab throwers names was not even released?

Why are you so Crabby?

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Okay. I thought the thread title said "Melee fan throws a DEADLY crab at..."

While this isn't as serious as the title I thought I read, it's still not a good thing, and I'm hoping more people within the Smash community call that out.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Thats low-class as fuck throwing shit at people.

Another question is, why could nobody the detect the smell of room temperature dead crab in a multiple hour long event where people are in constant close proximity to each other??

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Dumb guy did something dumb, it was dealt with. Precedent is set: do dumb stuff, get banned from events.

Hbox's character choice is going to make him a perpetual heel, that would apply to anyone playing at his level with Puff (or Ice Climbers w/ wobbling). He's embraced that at times, but I'm sure it gets tiring. Then you have people that go overboard with "fuck Hbox" chants and throwing stuff. I practically never root for the guy, but I respect the hell out of his play.

I think the bigger takeaway is there needs to be more consistency in how the community handles problematic individuals. It's kind of ridiculous this guy is (allegedly) permanently banned from future events but a player who sexually assaulted and abused his girlfriend was going to be allowed to return to regional events until the outcry caused the decision to be reversed (AFAIK).

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
He is basically dominating the scene, and the character he plays has a drastically different playstyle from any of the other good characters in the game. So people complain that his constantly winning everything is causing the game to go stale and diminishing the game as they prefer it to be played.
Ah okay, is this the same dude that had a guy just quit on him a few weeks ago? Remember reading something on kotaku about it

Deleted member 50949

Banned
Dec 16, 2018
He is basically dominating the scene, and the character he plays has a drastically different playstyle from any of the other good characters in the game. So people complain that his constantly winning everything is causing the game to go stale and diminishing the game as they prefer it to be played.
But wasn't the melee scene being dominated by almost the same top players and the same two or three characters? Fox, and I think Falco and Captain Falcon.

It's kind of ridiculous this guys is (allegedly) permanently banned from future events but a player who sexually assaulted and abused his girlfriend was going to be allowed to return until the outcry caused the decision to be reversed (AFAIK).
Wait, was that story about Hbox? damn, this stuff is nuts.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
And people wonder why Smash is glad to be rid of the Melee fandom.

Pathetic. Glad Hbox is fine.
Hey, don't judge the whole community by a single person's action. It would be like me saying the Smash 4 community is awful because a player once tried to ran over other competitors, failed, but was still allowed to enter the tournament, and that's no good.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
But wasn't the melee scene being dominated by almost the same top players and the same two or three characters? Fox, and I think Falco and Captain Falcon.
Yeah a small handful of players for the most part. And a few characters, Fox, Falco, Sheik, Marth.. Peach and Capt. Falcon etc to a somewhat lesser degree.

But Jigglypuff has a drastically different play style from any of those characters. I'm confident that if hbox mained Sheik or Marth or some other "normal" character, he wouldn't be nearly has hated on as he is now.

Euler.L.

Alt account
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
Thats low-class as fuck throwing shit at people.

Another question is, why could nobody the detect the smell of room temperature dead crab in a multiple hour long event where people are in constant close proximity to each other??

Well... you should know the meme regarding Smash playerbase and their smell.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Every news I hear about the smash fandom, it's always trash. I don't think other FGCs with all their problems have as many issues as the smash community
This is pretty much how it is with anything I don't follow, Melee included. No one reports anything positive cause I guess it's not interesting? I hear nothing but bad things about every gaming community.

Aug 27, 2018
Who does a pre-meditated crab throw? Like, this person went out and purchased a crab for the sole purpose of eventually throwing it at someone because of memes.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017

Wait, was that story about Hbox? damn, this stuff is nuts.

No, the Melee player that was known to be guilty of sexual assault was Mafia, a Peach player. As far as I know he hasn't been allowed to return (but he nearly was allowed). Another Peach player, MacD, was accused but it never went beyond that IIRC.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

Smash has it's unique issues, but plenty of people have gotten into fist fights over petty shit in nearly every corner of the FGC.

TwistedN

Mar 23, 2018
I think the bigger takeaway is there needs to be more consistency in how the community handles problematic individuals. It's kind of ridiculous this guy is (allegedly) permanently banned from future events but a player who sexually assaulted and abused his girlfriend was going to be allowed to return to regional events until the outcry caused the decision to be reversed (AFAIK).
Exactly I think this is quickly being acted on is due to it being live and right on stage, but for other problematic people they just get the lightest of light punishments and eventually go home scot free. I noticed today Hyuga was actually in a tournament and placed in the top 8, no eyebrows raised either.

Ah okay, is this the same dude that had a guy just quit on him a few weeks ago? Remember reading something on kotaku about it
It was another guy

Deleted member 50949

Banned
Dec 16, 2018
No, the Melee player that was known to be guilty of sexual assault was Mafia, a Peach player. As far as I know he hasn't been allowed to return. Another Peach player, MacD, was accused but it never went beyond that IIRC.
Man, I typed "melee player abuses his girlfriend" and I got like 4 different stories about 4 different players, christ. Didn't even know about Mafia.

Captain Falcon is not even top 5. Generally top 8's have a lot of character representation, but its another scenario where people who don't follow the events tend to rely on second hand information.
Thanks for the correction, I don't follow the smash scene but it seems that jigglypuff is just too OP?

Smash has it's unique issues, but plenty of people have gotten into fist fights over petty shit in nearly every corner of the FGC.
Yeah true, I guess I just remember stuff more about Smash because they're so frequent and it's always used to laugh at the smash community.

Deleted member 13015

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be known forever to be the guy who threw a dead crab at HBox is pathetic and somber.

I haven't seen anyone laugh or find this entertaining in any of the forums or chats.

Well, Enjoy your bans from tournaments. I'm sure your friends, if you have any, won't even giggle at your clown act when you mention it to them.

The consequences of your action will continue to grow like a domino effect, I wish you no luck in the waves of lousy things that are going to happen to you when they find who you are.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly I think this is quickly being acted on is due to it being live and right on stage, but for other problematic people they just get the lightest of light punishments and eventually go home scot free. I noticed today Hyuga was actually in a tournament and placed in the top 8, no eyebrows raised either.

What the fuck!?