Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
X6 is lucky people focus on X7 too much, otherwise people would realize it is by far the worst Megaman game. That game is fucking irredeemable.

X5 is fairly playable, although unremarkable.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
X5? Sure.

X6? Nah, it's worse than every MMX game besides X7 and I say this as who is a big fan of Mega Man series in general.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
For being the finale to the X series (at the time) X5 didn't have the production value/budget and development time it so desperately needed--I think it's more of a disappointment than a bad game.

X6 got the reception it deserves.

Last edited:

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
As someone who has recently played through these games, absolutely not. They avoid the problems that x3 and x4 have by creating brand new issues with the level design and the god awful virus system, which is yet another example of capcom guilting you into not using useful upgrades for some reason, much like Zero 1 and Zero 2.

The X5 and x6 fan patches do a lot to make those games a LOT better though.

They're better than x7 though.

Last edited:

Hecht

Bonk initiated
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
X5 was pretty good. Not as good as 4, but fine.

X6 is one of the worst MM games ever made. The level design is horrible - tons of out-of-sight pits/spikes and the goddamn donuts come to mind. It's not a good game by any means. OST is all right though.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
X5 is kind of a mess but still a solid game, especially with all the fan service to the classic series.

X6 is one of the worst games in the series. It is absolutely terrible.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Like others have said X5 is just okay. X6, minus the music and X's armor designs, is just utter trash. X4 is still leagues better than those two.

dumbyugi

Oct 25, 2017
X-5 is fine, not the best but not a bad game. X-6 is dogshit though, the only reason people don't talk about it being awful more is because it was followed up by an even worse game in X-7.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
X5 is alright (though not as memorable as X1 to X4). X6 is trash, followed by X7.

The X series had never redeemed itself until X8 when it went back to it's roots.

Last edited:

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
X5 is a step up from X4 in most regards and only dragged back down by Alia and the baffling RNG plot.

X6 has killer music and some really cool ideas, but knifes them in their sleep and douses the bleeding wounds in salt before they get pressed to disc.

Rexskel

Aug 27, 2021
X6 is pretty much garbage apart from the banger soundtrack and "some" interesting concepts

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
X6 is actually pretty fun to exploit. Like with zero and the shield skill. Also, the donuts aren't bad if you have prepared. Metal shark players weapon charged up eats it up quick. Now by all means doesn't mean its terrible, but work around it there's some fun to be had.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
If anything I don't think X5 gets enough hate. It's such a huge step down from 4, and only looks good at all when you compare it to the trash that followed it.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Also like X5 and X6 more than X4. Holy shit there must be dozens of us. Or maybe 5. Atleast 2 :p

X1 > X3 > X2 > X8 > X6 > X5 > X4 > X7 imo.

But i like a lot all of them except X7.

I love the Donuts Stage btw.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
As much as I hated X6 replaying it recently has made me appreciate it a little more and it's very much thanks to some dedicated fans out there trying to cobble together something not abjectly painful to play. Megaman X6 Tweaks makes it less of an annoying mess on top of giving it a good re-translation and adding art polish adjustments like new character portraits.

mGUEcNp.gif
gXwBEtB.gif

Injured reploids or Dr. Light didn't used to have these portraits and the artist that custom made them did a great job imo.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
X6 is lucky people focus on X7 too much, otherwise people would realize it is by far the worst Megaman game. That game is fucking irredeemable.
Well as much as I hate X6, its actually not the worst MM game. Aside from X7, Id definitely put the Wonderswan Rockman & Forte above it - which is hilariously terrible and just awful to play. Bad level designs, terrible sprites, neglecting core MM design tenants (such as getting blasted as soon as you move to a new screen, pushing you back to the previous screen, legit hilariously terrible boss names and designs, bad controls/player feedback... Its honestly just never mentioned because almost no one has played it... if it were at least ported into English at some point, Im sure a few more people would chime in on just how awful the game is!

X6, for as bad as it is... at least has the soundtrack, bosses and sprites to its name. Its a bad game to play most of the time, but RM&F WS is bad to play all of the time.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
I've been in the mood for some MMX action, recently picked up 1 and 2 (I never owned 1 as a kid though it's the only one I finished - I did make it to the final boss of 2 and 4)... I haven't played 5 onwards yet so this is a great thread.

How is X8? I see that one at used game stores a lot but it's never mentioned, even in this thread. Also, how is X3? I recall playing a bit of it at a friend's house, but it seemed like "more of the same", maybe not as iconic as X1 or 2.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Also, how is X3? I recall playing a bit of it at a friend's house, but it seemed like "more of the same", maybe not as iconic as X1 or 2.

X3 is actually my fave, as semi-metroid like with huge levels with lots of secrets, and has a decent difficulty. They do go a bit far with how you unlock ride armour though lol.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I've been in the mood for some MMX action, recently picked up 1 and 2 (I never owned 1 as a kid though it's the only one I finished - I did make it to the final boss of 2 and 4)... I haven't played 5 onwards yet so this is a great thread.

How is X8? I see that one at used game stores a lot but it's never mentioned, even in this thread. Also, how is X3? I recall playing a bit of it at a friend's house, but it seemed like "more of the same", maybe not as iconic as X1 or 2.
X8 is decent and I really like X3.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

X3 is one of the Mega Man games that's more content heavy rather than minimalist and focused. There are tons of tools and abilities to get and you probably don't really need half of them.

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bruh are you nuts, have you actually played X4 X5 and X6 recently? X4 shits on them, and X6 being absolutely awful. Legit shocked me how bad it was when I played the game 2 years ago going through the series again

Rayokarna

Oct 29, 2017
X4 Level design is pretty great. The only issue with X4 is that it needs an Xtreme Mode and is too easy to feel like a challenge for the most part.

X5's biggest flaw on Xtreme mode is the health bars are way too big and make boss fights a complete drag after a while. Especially on the refights.

X6, recently 100% this game on Xtreme as a challenge from a friend(3rd playthrough). For the most part I hated every moment. Blaze Heatnix's stage, Ground Scaravich stage, Blizzard Wolfgang stage (Especially with the bullshit Nightmare fire mechanic), rescuing reploids and them being unrecoverable on a save file if you miss them. Nightmares as an enemy design. Nightmare Mother, Gate Stage 2, Gate boss fight (My absolutely biggest pet peeve of the whole game). Infinity Mijinion gets a bad reputation on the boss fight but it's pretty tame compared to the rest of the game.

Nightmare effects are terrible, the extra stage mechanic is terrible (doubly so since you have to fight Dynamo every single time and can't exit a stage quickly). Blade Amour is probably the weakest armour is the weakest of the 2D games and doesn't feel impactful at all.

Saying that when you have Hyper Dash, Jumper and Quick Charge on X6 it almost feels bearable.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even like X4 that much (compared to how often people cite it as the second best entry in the franchise after X1). Obviously it has some major advances, specifically introducing Zero as a fully playable counterpart to X with his own unique playstyle... but I feel like, compared to the SNES games, level design starts taking a huge hit because of compromises that had to be made for the PS1's disc-based hardware (i.e. dividing the levels into seperate chunks).

5 is fine, the multiple armors for X was a fun new twist, but having to collect all their pieces (while working against a countdown) made them feel moot by the time you could get your hands on them. And they were already at their limits of what kind of stage design they were able to pull.

6 definitely has underrated elements, and a couple great stages... but the problem is because how rushed the game was, the rest of the stages are awful combinations of short, full of kaizo-tier hazards, repetitive, and/or the second or third consecutive take on the same sorts of dev friendly stage gimmicks that X4/5 already did.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
X5's biggest flaw on Xtreme mode is the health bars are way too big and make boss fights a complete drag after a while. Especially on the refights.
Yeah... It was a fun mode until that point. Made the refights just a bore. Not particularly challenging either. Just really boring. Still not as bad as X7's refights though, those of course managed to be even more boring and even worse because of course they did!

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even like X4 that much (compared to how often people cite it as the second best entry in the franchise after X1). Obviously it has some major advances, specifically introducing Zero as a fully playable counterpart to X with his own unique playstyle... but I feel like, compared to the SNES games, level design starts taking a huge hit because of compromises that had to be made for the PS1's disc-based hardware (i.e. dividing the levels into seperate chunks).

Yep. I replayed X4 a few years ago when the collection came out, and it just brought back how much I disliked it coming off the back of X3, except this time it's worse because I was *immediately* coming off beating X3 in the collection. I didn't and still do not like the graphics which I find too busy, and I didn't like the smaller, more simple levels.

Walrus level was simple, Stingray was a godawful bike level which was even easier and llinear, the train level was similarly linear. The bosses were very easy to perfect using their weaknesses, which was disappointing. I like boss weaknesses to deal more damage, not break the boss out of his pattern to the extent it's almost impossible to lose (to be fair there were bosses like this in other games before like X3, but not to this extent). I ended up just using the buster on the rest of the bosses, to maintain some semblance of difficulty. The mushroom stage was decent, as was the spider boss when it gets to the second phase. Spider & owl stages sucked, and the peacock one was weird - I wonder if that was a precursor to the Z ranks? Owl, Mushroom, Peacock & Colonel bosses were very easy. Dragon level/boss were both super easy.

The Leg powerup sucks, as I get stuck in a hover that I don't want. Almost as bad as the X3 arm upgrade for the mega buster. The head one is lazy, gives you unlimited ammo. Ammo is not even an issue in X4, you just take a quick death to get refills, so I don't see why it was necessary. iirc there was no enemy weapon charging in X4 either, which sucks. I had about five minutes till my journey ended so I thought I'd have a quick scout around the final dragoon level...and ended up completing it because it was the easiest level/boss combination in the game.

Sigma levels and bosses were ridiculously easy and the refights were almost a joke. Sigma forms 1 & 2 also had no difficulty (I think form 1 is the easiest Sigma fight ever, no damage in that fight is stupendously easy)
3rd form is an actual challenge. Died about three times, till I got the pattern down.

This game...is not that good to me. It's one of - if not the - easiest megaman games ever. I can't offhand think of a game easier then it. The levels are extremely linear and not much fun.
In a normal megaman game, you're going up, down, left, right all the time which spices it up a bit. Some like X3 have extra little paths. Then I come into this which has a train level and a bike level which are literally "go right". And they don't make up for it with any kind of challenge either. 6/8 levels are a total walkover and the other 2 are still far easier then standard megaman levels. The Sigma levels are the same too.

Secret items are mostly blindingly obvious to find. X3 had three additional bosses you'd fight throughout the game, adding a bit of excitement when you stepped into a bit/byte room, or fell down a Vile hole. X4 has nothing to replace this except a single set Colonel fight. In a lot of megaman games the refights are a bit of a challenge, they wear you down before the actual boss fight. Here you'd have to be asleep to actually carry any damage over.

Angsty story was silly too, but I don't play megs for story so whatever.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. I replayed X4 a few years ago when the collection came out, and it just brought back how much I disliked it coming off the back of X3, except this time it's worse because I was *immediately* coming off beating X3 in the collection. I didn't and still do not like the graphics which I find too busy, and I didn't like the smaller, more simple levels.
Yeah, in addition to my issues with stage design, I still prefer the SNES games' artstyle. Level readability on the PS1 games felt more muddled.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The main takeaway from this thread to me is Mega Man X is a masterpiece and none of the sequels come remotely close to it.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
X3 is the true underrated MegaMan game, X6 is garbage and feels like the devs were trying to make the player have the most miserable experience they could.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
X5 is pretty ok, and it has Gun n Roses bosses, so that puts it a notch up. Some wonkiness, but solid nonetheless.

X6 is terrible. Just a bad game all around.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah echoing that X5 is mostly fine and worth playing if you like MMX.

X6 is just a bad game. They didn't do level design it's just one bad gimmick level after another.

Which makes it weird that X8 did the same thing years later, but I get it because at least it wasn't X7.

Great Martinez Jr.

▲ Legend ▲
Feb 2, 2021
Mexico
Some of the visceral reactions towards MMX6 on this thread are kind of extreme (you would believe the game killed some of the commenters' family or something with how vehement they are). Honestly, I think most of its problems boil down to how rushed it was, and it was rushed: If you look at its Japanese release date and compare it to the release dates of both MMX4 and MMX5, it's clear the game couldn't have spend more than 10 months at most in development (at most, I wouldn't be surprised if the actual dev time was shorter), while it's predecessors had more than a year and a half in the oven.

I definitely get the feeling that if they have had more development time (allowing them to actually playtest it more), they would have fixed a lot of its issues in terms of level design, difficulty balance and obstructive gameplay systems.

Mind you, while I don't think either game is great, I kind of liked MMX6 a bit more than MMX5 back when I played them, as I found some of the gimmicks in the later far more tedious or annoying to play than the hair pulling unbalanced difficulty of the former.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I do wish they had followed through on Dr. Wily's preserved consciousness being around. They casually gesture towards it at the end, but there's no actual appearance.

I was 15 years old when X5 came out and my first video game ever was Mega Man 2. Despite X5's issues, that whole final section with all the classic series throwbacks felt really special. Like this thing I had been following for over a decade was coming to a head.

X6 is the best X game, so yeah, you're correct OP.

I actually refuse to believe you mean this.