• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Anthony Mooch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I met a girl at work a couple months ago that I really, really liked (I'll leave relationships at work pros and cons for later). I haven't really spoken to her since I just found out which department she worked at and all, but we have run into her few times and I at least say hi or good morning, etc. Nothing is happening right now, but one friend told me that I should leave her a chocolate at her desk, and maybe it could initiate something in order for me to start talking to her and hang out. I thought it was a silly move, but after I realized that the department she works at has nothing to do with me, and there were very few chances that I could speak to her, I thought I'd give it a chance.

So I went to where she sits on my way out from work, and saw that she has a small photo with a guy, which I immediately assumed was her boyfriend. Of course I felt disappointed, and didn't leave anything. My friend told me that I should've left it anyway, that the fact that she has a boyfriend doesn't concern me yet, and that I just should focus on meeting her and hang out first. I think she does knows I like her, because even though we see each other very few times, I don't think I have been discrete at all (I mean, I can't! She is just so gorgeous)

What do you think is the right thing to do? I bet she knows that I like her and she would know that I have this "intention" of trying to woo her or something, even if I act as normal as possible. I found out that she has a boyfriend from a picture, should I stay back now that I know this information?

What are your opinions?
I go for it maybe she needs to upgrade. Can't be having an iPhone 6s in an X2 world

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Always.

It's how I met my girlfriend of 3 years. She was with another guy. He was really nice but I knew that me and her were a better fit. She agreed. True love will always prevail. Don't let a boyfriend get in the way of someone you truly love. It's a temporary obstacle

Biggest load of tosh I've ever heard. You barely know each other at that point. Destroying a relationship, that very well could be having just a rough patch, because you think you can do better is the height of arrogance.

I've been left by someone for someone in this exact way, only for them to fall apart 3 months later and my ex to want me back still almost 18 months later.

The grass isn't always greener, and equating your situation to an "Always" knowing you're fucking with peoples live is crap.

Clockwork

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wisconsin
I can only speak to my experience. I'm in a loving relationship and we're about to get a house together. I would not be with the woman I want to spend of my life with if I was too scared of trying because she had a boyfriend.

Morality isn't always black or white. It's grey.

(OP's situation is pretty creepy though)

LOL

Until it happens to you, right? I mean what's to stop some other creeper with the same piss poor mentality from making moves on your girlfriend? I'm sure you would totally appreciate that...

The issue is black or white. You're the shady one.

Nov 9, 2017
I can only speak to my experience. I'm in a loving relationship and we're about to get a house together. I would not be with the woman I want to spend of my life with if I was too scared of trying because she had a boyfriend.

Morality isn't always black or white. It's grey.

(OP's situation is pretty creepy though)

Sounds like you aren't married yet. As long as you are cool with dudes trying to pick up your GF now, I guess your logic makes sense.

Kongroo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
Biggest load of tosh I've ever heard. You barely know each other at that point. Destroying a relationship, that very well could be having just a rough patch, because you think you can do better is the height of arrogance.

I've been left by someone for someone in this exact way, only for them to fall apart 3 months later and my ex to want me back still almost 18 months later.

The grass isn't always greener, and equating your situation to an "Always" knowing you're fucking with peoples live is crap.

Chill tf down. All I'm advocating for is to follow your heart. I'm not even saying that OP should do anything. I'm just sick of seeing people but themselves on a moral high-horse because they wouldn't dare to try with a woman in a relationship. I'm not advocating home-wreckers, just follow your heart and you'd be surprised where it takes you.

Calling everyone who left their boyfriend/girlfriend for another person "arrogant" is priceless

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Chill tf down. All I'm advocating for is to follow your heart. I'm not even saying that OP should do anything. I'm just sick of seeing people but themselves on a moral high-horse because they wouldn't dare to try with a woman in a relationship. I'm not advocating home-wreckers, just follow your heart and you'd be surprised where it takes you.

Calling everyone who left their boyfriend/girlfriend for another person "arrogant" is priceless
More than a few of my ex-GF's were in a relationship when I first met them, but I never tried to mess with their current relationship. If someone you're interested in comes to the conclusion they'd rather be with you, great. I think it's shitty to try to ruin someone else's relationship though.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't seem like you have received any signals. Not even a mixed one

Kongroo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
More than a few of my GF's were in a relationship when I first met them, but I never tried to mess with their current relationship. If someone you're interested in comes to the conclusion they'd rather be with you, great. I think it's shitty to try to ruin someone else's relationship though.

The way it worked for me is that I told her how I felt while she was in a relationship. One month later she left the boyfriend and we were together. Is that such a bad thing? If I followed advice here, I would have never said anything and not been in a relationship with my best friend.

Depths

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The way it worked for me is that I told her how I felt while she was in a relationship. One month later she left the boyfriend and we were together. Is that such a bad thing? If I followed advice here, I would have never said anything and not been in a relationship with my best friend.

Yeah, you sound like an ass to be honest.

Oct 29, 2017

He's not following his heart though, he's following his dick. OP barely knows this girl beyond a few passing Hello's and being a bit of a Creepy perv in the office ffs.

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Or you could have told how you felt when her relationship ended and you would probably be in the same position.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017

Most of the advice is based on the context of a guy barely speaking (if even speaking) to her trying to make a move already knowing she's taken and yet you come in with a completely different situation and the follow your heart line from Napoleon Dynamite. Give it a rest.

Kongroo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
Or you could have told how you felt when her relationship ended and you would probably be in the same position.

Why would I wait for her relationship to end? People settle. She would have settled for him if I didn't say how I felt.

Y'all are cold as fuck. You're not entitled to a woman because you're dating her. They are capable of making their own decisions ffs.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017

This thread isn't about you and your very specific set of circumstances and if your relationship is as good and secure as you say it is you don't really need to make the thread about you for reassurance so I'm kind of confused.

Depths

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why would I wait for her relationship to end? People settle. She would have settled for him if I didn't say how I felt.

Y'all are cold as fuck. You're not entitled to a woman because you're dating her. They are capable of making their own decisions ffs.

What the fuck are you even talking about? No one is saying someone is entitled to a woman. It's just about respecting someone's relationship.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Thread has said all that needs to be said, but I'll say it again anyway.

People in relationships are not fair game if you're interested in them.

If you really like this girl and can deal with the fact you can't peruse in that way then be her friend. If you can't separate your desires from your friendship, then it's probably best to step back.

She may break up with him in the future, she may even meet someone new that isn't you and her life could deviate, or you guys could end up together and the relationship could be terrible.

Do not try to "go for it", don't try to be anything more than a good friend.

Easy way to get your ass beat or wind up dead

Lmao, I love it when people talk like we live in Mad Max World.

Oct 27, 2017
Nah. That's shitty to her current boyfriend and her if she wasn't already into me. I'd move on. Maybe things will work out, maybe they won't.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I've been in the position of being in a relationship with someone who had a "friend" that constantly told them they liked them and they should leave me for them. It's really shitty. Even with all that though, I don't think it's necessarily wrong to tell someone how you feel (although telling them and expecting them to act on it is, if you care about them you should want them to be happy first and foremost even if it's not with you).

I don't know you, and I don't know if all you really did was say that you liked her or if there was more going on. I don't know if she was unhappy in the relationship and would have left regardless, or any other circumstances.

I do think it's odd to assume that it's impossible things would have worked out the same way if you hadn't said anything. For all you know, things would have fallen apart naturally and you could have hit on her while she was single instead.

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017

So you're saying you influenced her decision to end her relationship and then in the very next sentence claim women are capable of making their own decisions.

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
Just try and stay relevant, don't be a creep, and actually try and be friends. If she and her dude break up, you have a natural jumping off point. If her and her dude stay together, you got a friend at work. Pretty simple solution really.

Kongroo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
This thread isn't about you and your very specific set of circumstances and if your relationship is as good and secure as you say it is you don't really need to make the thread about you for reassurance so I'm kind of confused.

Yeah, you're right. I just mentioned my relationship and got attacked by a few posters so I've been acting overly defensive. My situation is different from OP's and shouldn't be compared. My bad.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, you're right. I just mentioned my relationship and got attacked by a few posters so I've been acting overly defensive. My situation is different from OP's and shouldn't be compared. My bad.

Just like how that mean boyfriend was attacking you and getting in your way and you had to find a way, any way to remove him from the picture, eh? Even if that meant MURDER! Now he lies buried in the yard of the home you're about to move into. Under the Azaleas.

Sorry, this just came to me as a lifetime film and I had to share lol.

Wally_Wall

Oct 26, 2017
Bunch of insecure people in here. The boyfriend doesn't own this woman. Everyone is acting like OP is gonna move in and take advantage of this poor helpless woman. She makes her own decisions and if the offer from someone else is more appealing to her then everything that follows is her choice.

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
I'd avoid it personally. If she/he is in a relationship, then leaves their partner for you and sees you both in a bar. It can either go one of two ways, more likely the way that involves bottles being thrown around.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
This kind of stuff happens all the time, but I'll say "tread carefully" to the OP. These situations can always get way too messy. I say that as someone who tried dating a married 26-year-old woman when I was 19. Looking back on it now, I don't know what the fuck I was thinking.

A friend of mine literally ended a marriage by going after a married woman.

This girl's not married by the sounds of it, but still...she's with someone. Probably fairly serious if she's bringing pictures of him to her work desk too.

It's fine to chat and be friendly, I guess, but if you can't hide your lust, I don't think this is worth it unless you think there's a serious chance of her actually breaking up with her boyfriend because it's not going well or whatever.

Eh...it's your life. It's her life. Just be aware of the potential consequences and how you COULD be perceived by her or by others in your company who could find out about whatever you're thinking about.

Last edited:

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
tumblr_nkymh9tGHY1qi711zo1_400.gif

OP, get back in here mate. Just talk to her and see if he she has a bf, it might be her brother for all you know. :\

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
No

Respect the other partner's investment in their relationship. The decision to have multiple partners or see other people is a decision that can only be made with the consent of both sides of the relationship.

Clockwork

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wisconsin
Bunch of insecure people in here. The boyfriend doesn't own this woman. Everyone is acting like OP is gonna move in and take advantage of this poor helpless woman. She makes her own decisions and if the offer from someone else is more appealing to her then everything that follows is her choice.

Just imagine if everything worked this way, having no respect or obligation to anything or anyone. It's all just decisions and choices dude. Who am I to say what people do? Especially if it is to your benefit, right?

Sociopath logic.

Kongroo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
Just like how that mean boyfriend was attacking you and getting in your way and you had to find a way, any way to remove him from the picture, eh? Even if that meant MURDER! Now he lies buried in the yard of the home you're about to move into. Under the Azaleas.

Sorry, this just came to me as a lifetime film and I had to share lol.

Just chill. I told a girl that I had feelings for her while she had a boyfriend. She had feelings for me back and that's why she left her boyfriend. I didn't force her out of anything. We've been together and happy for years now. There's no drama or anything like that.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK

Calling everyone who left their boyfriend/girlfriend for another person "arrogant" is priceless [/QUOTE]

To bold -I'm talking about the person who comes into someone else's relationship, thinking they can do better, and fucking things up. I do think that's an arrogant view to take.

And yeah, you are talking about home wrecking when you say follow your heart always and don't let a temporary partner get in the way. Like maybe we should view your relationship as just waiting for the better person to come along and replace you?

It's a horrible, selfish way to look at other peoples relationships. If you're so stuck on them, wait, or you know move along.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Your friend is an idiot, don't listen to him. Leave this girl the hell alone and find a love interest that is single and unattached

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Invite her to lunch and get to know her. If she drops the bf bomb, then she's not interested in you that way. And who knows? She might not even be that interesting personality wise. You'll at least make a new friend.

Kongroo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA

I honestly think that if you really love someone and all you're doing is silently waiting for them to become single, you are making the biggest mistake of your life. Tell the person how you feel and then move on.

Keeping shit bottled in makes people miserable. I know a lot of people who have incredible regrets about not telling a girl or a guy how they felt at the right time. Stop generalizing and viewing everything as black and white. Life is complicated. Stop acting like it's simple.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Just chill. I told a girl that I had feelings for her while she had a boyfriend. She had feelings for me back and that's why she left her boyfriend. I didn't force her out of anything. We've been together and happy for years now. There's no drama or anything like that.

I didn't think there was. It was a complete joke. For someone so confident about the whole situation, you seem fairly insecure.