• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018

Quality isn't the best, but the one on the right is from an event where the game is playable. Sadly they didn't allow to record footage, so extremely shaky video is all we have.

Still, even in this potato-quality screenshot it's easy to see how much the game has improved visually. Here's actual video footage:

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These are both ps4 screenshots? Just one is a version closer to release? Or is the first screenshot from the ps1 game, hard to tell.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure two blurry ass pictures which are at different distances from the structure in question is anywhere near enough to make a claim of a substantial upgrade.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Yes, some people who played the demo last month at an event in Rio De Janeiro said the graphics are amazing. But they complained a lot about the gameplay and the fact that it plays is pretty much the same as the original game.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Thank god for that. But considering how rough the framerate was with the older graphics, I hope they're also working on that.
Yes, some people who played the demo last month at an event in Rio De Janeiro said the graphics are amazing. But they complained a lot about the gameplay and the fact that it plays is pretty much the same as the original game.
I expected this as this isn't a full remake, but a renovation like Shadow of the Colossus 2018. However most are probably not going to be kind to the old gameplay.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
They really should've prioritized framerate, probably not gonna bother getting if it's not 60FPS.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I mean regardless of a visual upgrade it doesn't look like they are doing any gameplay improvements when the original sorely needed it. A remake was their chance to really refine the original by propelling the things good in the original, and fixing what kinda fucking sucked. This was never the game to do a 1:1 remake.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
Won't be getting this unless 60FPS probably PS5. I can't do this 30FPS garbage anymore. Might do it for TLOU2 just for MP but not sure anything else. I hate 30FPS with passion, especially in games with tons of camera movement.

Oct 25, 2017
Won't be getting this unless 60FPS probably PS5. I can't do this 30FPS garbage anymore. Might do it for TLOU2 just for MP but not sure anything else. I hate 30FPS with passion, especially in games with tons of camera movement.

I just assumed TLoU2 will run at ~60fps in MP, as U4 did. 30fps is shit when trying to react to real people, so fingers crossed.

I'm not sure two blurry ass pictures which are at different distances from the structure in question is anywhere near enough to make a claim of a substantial upgrade.
100%

Easy_D

Oct 28, 2017
Even in those blurry shots you can see added texture detail and an entire forest outside the gate lol. Some of you need glasses.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
I mean the footage in the first gameplay trailer was clearly wip, since you could make out untextured terrain without any objects placed on it. This remake is probably my most anticipated game this year.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
That does look nice, but it's still a major bummer that the game itself adheres so closely to the original in every other regard.

source.gif

Coulda been a contender.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
I don't think the extra trees, graves, and texture quality is because of the distance.
That does look nice, but it's still a major bummer that the game itself adheres so closely to the original in every other regard.

source.gif

Coulda been a contender.
Yeah, it's a bit weird considering how well-received the quality of life changes were on the Crash and Spyro remakes.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I don't think the extra trees, graves, and texture quality is because of the distance.

Yeah, it's a bit weird considering how well-received the quality of life changes were on the Crash and Spyro remakes.

I work with a MediEvil superfan, so believe me when I say they *have* made comparable quality of life changes. Quick weapon select, over-the-shoulder camera mode, new controls, etc. There are a lot of minor and major differences.

Outside of minor tweaks, Crash and Spyro didn't drastically change their original gameplay either, so I don't know what people were expecting.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
I work with a MediEvil superfan, so believe me when I say they *have* made comparable quality of life changes. Quick weapon select, over-the-shoulder camera mode, new controls, etc. There are a lot of minor and major differences.

Outside of minor tweaks, Crash and Spyro didn't drastically change their original gameplay either, so I don't know what people were expecting.
Oh dang, that's cool then. Impressions were that the game played exactly the same as it did on PSX, clunkyness included but if that does sound like improvements. Hopefully they'll showcase everything soon, seeing how the game releases in a few months.

ThaNotoriousSOD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This remake is so random to me that it gives me hope just maybe in due time there's hope for socom and syphon filter sometime in the next 30 years

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I always say that over the years it kept surprising me how much people dislike this game. To me it was a game from my childhood just as important as Crash and Spyro, so it made sense to me that it got a remake too. Later I've learned all the things people complain about and maybe they're right, but I'm still happy they're bringing it to the PS4 like the other games. I expected absolutely nothing, so I'm fine with whatever they do.

Btw, now that all the important games (from my childhood) are done (I'm still waiting for Crash Bash) I think it's time to get new stuff, along those lines. I loved the new level they released for Crash Bandicoot Warped or the new tracks they're adding for CTR. I NEED them to do a new Crash with new levels but that feels like a continuation of the original games and keep the same gameplay, aesthetics, etc. Same with Spyro, and now with MediEvil.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
It looks good. Hope devs manage to hit a stable 30fps come launch.

They really should've prioritized framerate, probably not gonna bother getting if it's not 60FPS.
Same here. No excuse for a remake.

It's 30fps.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Is MediEvil one of the only games to essentially get two remakes (this and the PSP version Resurrection)? I can't think of another.

MediEvil 2 seems all but forgotten which is unfortunate.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
It looks good. Hope devs manage to hit a stable 30fps come launch.

It's 30fps.
The thing for me, alluding to a post in your post, is that remaking games is typically much easier when you aim for 30FPS on lower console and keep the better graphics and artstyle and THEN go to 60FPS on say the PS5. It's much easier to do that then to aim for 60 now and then have all kinds of work to do later trying to make it look better on a new console.

I can wait for PS5 as I am doing for basically all the newer Sony exclusives besides TLOU2. Backlog is huge so yeah.

Hell, I love Horizon, but not even sure I can finish it at 30FPS. I just distinctly hate 30FPS in every single way. I can't stand camera movement with it. Makes me want to puke sometimes, though, Horizon does cover it up decently.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
The thing for me, alluding to a post in your post, is that remaking games is typically much easier when you aim for 30FPS on lower console and keep the better graphics and artstyle and THEN go to 60FPS on say the PS5. It's much easier to do that then to aim for 60 now and then have all kinds of work to do later trying to make it look better on a new console.

I can wait for PS5 as I am doing for basically all the newer Sony exclusives besides TLOU2. Backlog is huge so yeah.

Hell, I love Horizon, but not even sure I can finish it at 30FPS. I just distinctly hate 30FPS in every single way. I can't stand camera movement with it. Makes me want to puke sometimes, though, Horizon does cover it up decently.

It depends on what the devs are going for. 60fps isn't an issue on current gen consoles, but I assume you have to turn off/down quite a few modern graphical features.

Big pubs have their in house engines to deliver the most out of these consoles at 30 and 60.

The new Call of Duty looks amazing, and it runs at 60fps. But it's not fair to except the same from smaller devs.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Talk about people seeing what they want to see.

Because I can't see shit.

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
I never played Medievil so have no nostalgia glasses on...

This looks absolutely dreadful. I don't care about the graphics fidelity much but the framerate in the trailer noticeably sucks and the gameplay looks mindless, boring, and sloppy.