• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
This bullet point concerns sales data only, such as charts. Some users complained that charts would be posted without a link to where they came from. For example, in the OP, there is no link to the actual Famitsu page. Please post a link if you can. (Some links update weekly, which is fine. Please post it anyway.)
While fine, this seems kind of unnecessary. I don't think we've ever had folks post incorrect data on purpose, and this thread is pretty good about pointing out the occasional mistake.

I guess it's fine to source comgnet, famitsu, etc. charts, but what happens is we consolidated the data ourselves like the post below? Or we're doing comparisons on series sales? I just took data across Chris's posts over the past 10 months...
Famitsu PS5 software sales thus far (From Famitsu Top 30s, RE8 LTD came from Famitsu 1M PS5s sold report):
01. [PS5] Resident Evil Village # <ADV> (Capcom) {2021.05.08} (¥7.990) - 38.713 / 67.000
02. [PS5] Demon's Souls <RPG> (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2020.11.12} (¥7.900) - 18.607 / 51.796
03. [PS5] Tales of Arise # <RPG> (Bandai Namco Entertainment) {2021.09.09} (¥7.980) - 50.482 / 50.482
04. [PS5] Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales # <ADV> (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2020.11.12} (¥5.900) - 18.640 / 43.692
05. [PS5] Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade <RPG> (Square Enix) {2021.06.10} (¥8.980) - 20.889 / 23.491
06. [PS5] Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart <ACT> (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2021.06.11} (¥7.900) - 14.663 / 17.850
07. [PS5] Judgment <ADV> (Sega) {2021.04.23} (¥1.800) - 5.539 / 14.749
08. [PS5] Ghost of Tsushima: Director's Cut <ADV> (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2021.08.20} (¥7.900) - 13.745 / 17.271
09. [PS5] Scarlet Nexus <RPG> (Bandai Namco Entertainment) {2021.06.24} (¥8.200) - 11.008 / 12.785 <60-80%> (-84%)
10. [PS5] Returnal <ADV> (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2021.04.30} (¥7.900) - 6.573 / 9.148 <60-80%>
11. [PS5] Call of Duty: Black Ops - Cold War <ACT> (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2020.11.13} (¥8.800) - 6.045 / 6.045
12. [PS5] Godfall # <RPG> (Playism) {2020.11.12} (¥7.900) - 5.342 / 5.342
13. [PS5] Assassin's Creed: Valhalla # <ACT> (Ubisoft) {2020.11.12} (¥8.400) - 4.227 / 4.227
14. [PS5] Hitman 3 <ADV> (H2 Interactive) {2021.08.26} (¥6.800) - 3.890 / 3.890
15. [PS5] Guilty Gear: Strive # <FTG> (Arc System Works) {2021.06.11} (¥7.800) - 3.547 / 3.547
16. [PS5] Yakuza: Like a Dragon <ADV> (Sega) {2021.03.02} (¥5.990) - 2.861 / 2.861
17. [PS5] Outriders <ACT> (Square Enix) {2021.04.01} (¥7.980) - 2.431 / 2.431

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Happened a lot over the last dang year mate where you been.

Part of why the rules needed clarification is that most of the team wasn't too familiar with the dynamics of these weekly threads. Certain types of discussions take on a different context in here, and without knowing that context, it has been challenging to moderate it.

No one is looking to clamp down or micromanage these threads going forward. I happen to be the mod most familiar with sales threads (having followed them for 20 years now), so I had to come in and figure out what was happening.

I think the guidelines are fair, and if they actually ended up working to the detriment of the thread, we are happy to hear feedback and adjust moving forward.

Yeah I really hope this rule is stuck down or heavily amended. We have years of interviews, patterns, and comments about the Switch user base to make these claims. I mean can anyone claim Harada doesn't have some kind of bias against Switch after Bamco's output since 2019 and his interviews about budgets or western market comparisons?

It's completely acceptable to discuss decisions any creator makes in a sales/business context. It is generally not acceptable to make attacks that are personal. Remember that while you may not necessarily know these creators, many posters and readers on Era (such as journalists, influencers or devs) actually do work/have worked with them, and that the people themselves work in corporations with complex decision making procedures. It can be very off putting to see users make such accusations, and they detract from the quality of the discussion.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
While fine, this seems kind of unnecessary. I don't think we've ever had folks post incorrect data on purpose, and this thread is pretty good about pointing out the occasional mistake.

I guess it's fine to source comgnet, famitsu, etc. charts, but what happens is we consolidated the data ourselves like the post below? Or we're doing comparisons on series sales? I just took data across Chris's posts over the past 10 months...

In this case, no link is necessary. Anyone inquiring about the data can simply ask.

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
No one is looking to clamp down or micromanage these threads going forward. I happen to be the mod most familiar with sales threads (having followed them for 20 years now), so I had to come in and figure out what was happening.

I think the guidelines are fair, and if they actually ended up working to the detriment of the thread, we are happy to hear feedback and adjust moving forward.
Alright if we're allowed to adjust the guidelines over time, that sounds good. I think generally as long as people stop being jerks, this thread would be much better.

In this case, no link is necessary. Anyone inquiring about the data can simply ask.
Alright thanks!

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I definitely agree that these threads have become far too hostile and people in general are far to quick to jump on others for differing opinions. This thread should be more conducive to discussion and less so for snark and aggression which has become all too common place.

Having said that these threads have been subject to open petty trolling for years and nothing seems to happen. That's where a lot of the hostility comes from.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
While I don't agree with these rules entirely, framing what they say as "dumb shit" is what lead to this rule in the first place. Developers are painted as dumb dumb guy getting cozy with platforms instead of simply having a bias, preference, or comfort on preferring certain platforms based on their previous experience. It's irrational, but it's still a valid business decision (disregarding the results). It's tiring to read and lately provides no value to the discussion.
So basically use more courteous language is the extent of the problem? Because that's all I really get from your fixation on a phrase, you don't disagree with the actual content of my post then?

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017

It's completely acceptable to discuss decisions any creator makes in a sales/business context. It is generally not acceptable to make attacks that are personal. Remember that while you may not necessarily know these creators, many posters and readers on Era (such as journalists, influencers or devs) actually do work/have worked with them, and that the people themselves work in corporations with complex decision making procedures. It can be very off putting to see users make such accusations, and they detract from the quality of the discussion.
Well it's good to hear that you're willing to be flexible on this rule. I will say I've been guilty of saying certain companies or leaders have Sony's you know what down their throats, which I agree is too far.

I just hope we can still do playful ribbing and inside jokes or sarcastic takes.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
some of the rules are terrible and will actually encourage more of the behavior that has lowered the quality of these threads. i guess in the end the people who don't like these threads got what they wanted. they have been relentlessly and for years trolling in these threads despite not having any actual interest in japanese sales, just because they didn't like the data that was being published every week and would rather use the lack of data to spread misinformation like in other sales threads. smh.

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
Sega Ages' fate was sealed when CS3 was dissolved and emphasis was reshifted entirely to the cross-media Sakura Taisen group projects. It's really a shame given Okunari and M2 got 3 waves with 3D Classics and the potential for retro games on Switch (and expanding the series beyond Switch tbh). It's not just Sega Ages though, the reorg also basically killed any real future for Virtual On, Shining and Valkyria. It also weirdly waylaid CS2/Sonic Team, pushing back mainline Sonic R&D by years and limiting original output in the interim to just Puyo Puyo and Olympics games. Really a lot of mismanagement all around for Sega internal R&D this cycle.

Just because there hasn't been output since 2019 from these dev lines (Sakura Wars and the last Sega Ages Wave came out in 2019), doesn't mean it all died suddenly.

Try since Sammy bought them. Since day 1 Sammy insisted on shuffling shit around for no reason. They couldn't leave Sega well enough alone. Team shuffling and mergers have been non-stop for 15+ years. Sonic's been a huge casualty of this.

Actually, in theory Sonic has benefitted from this as Shadow the Hedgehog/Sonic 06 onwards had loads more staff than SA2 and Sonic Heroes which had teeny tiny staff compared to Sonic Adventure. Sonic 06 had members from the Overworks Shinobi PS2 team, for example.
Doesn't mean anything if the team is badly managed and I put the blame on the producers strictly on that rather than Sammy.

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
some of the rules are terrible and will actually encourage more of the behavior that has lowered the quality of these threads. i guess in the end the people who don't like these threads got what they wanted. they have been relentlessly and for years trolling in these threads despite not having any actual interest in japanese sales, just because they didn't like the data that was being published every week and would rather use the lack of data to spread misinformation like in other sales threads. smh.
I hope the first three bullet points are aimed at the trolls and bad faith commenters. I honestly don't have much to say about most of the rules, just the bias/favoritism one.

These rules aren't just a one-sided thing, right cvxfreak ? I hope they comprehensively target all of the issues posters have complained about here.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Just because there hasn't been output since 2019 from these dev lines (Sakura Wars and the last Sega Ages Wave came out in 2019), doesn't mean it all died suddenly.
I mean, Juro Watari actually quit with the last reorg, Virtual On at least is 100% dead. I think you're underselling the CS3 consolidation here, it's actually a pretty impactful thing and the new division's output has dropped massively. At least M2 and Okunari got to reunite for the GG Micro and Aleste Collection.

I worry about the arcade groups with the recent reorg (where they got consolidated into one division) and amusement industry bottoming out too. Hopefully we see a consumer shift with more stuff like VF, Project Diva, Soul Reverse, Initial D, HOTD, Wonderland Wars, etc on consoles and PC.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope the first three bullet points are aimed at the trolls and bad faith commenters. I honestly don't have much to say about most of the rules, just the bias/favoritism one.
i feel like those are clearly just going to encourage the trolls to bring more bad faith and false arguments and "just asking questions"ing all the time, and the onus will be on others to correct them constantly and not be able to just dismiss and ignore their arguments.

ultimately the new guidelines feel like they were kinda custom-made for the people who actually don't like the discussion and content of these threads (and haven't for years) and mostly just complain and troll.

Last edited:

ikaben

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I'll have to be more active with the ignore list. I just don't have the patience.

Ironically, I've always thought that Chris' patience was one of the biggest around here.

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
i feel like those are clearly just going to encourage the trolls to bring more bad faith and false arguments and "just asking questions"ing all the time, and the onus will be on others to correct them constantly and not be able to just dismiss and ignore their arguments.

ultimately the new guidelines feel like they were kinda custom-made for the people who actually don't like the discussion and content of these threads (and haven't for years) and mostly just complain and troll.
To be fair cvxfreak has said the rules will apply to everyone and he said that people will need a damn good reason to even whisper things like "japan doesn't matter", which I feel a lot of us regulars have complained about. I think we should at least give it a few weeks to see how things work out.

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, Juro Watari actually quit with the last reorg, Virtual On at least is 100% dead. I think you're underselling the CS3 consolidation here, it's actually a pretty impactful thing. At least M2 and Okunari got to reunite for the GG Micro and Aleste Collection.

I worry about the arcade groups with the recent reorg (where they got consolidated into one division) and amusement industry bottoming out too.

Well Virtual On was gonna be dead no matter what because of the sales. And Juro Watari worked on VF5: US too.

Staff of the various projects (Makoto Suzuki of Virtual On and Shining Resonance Refrain, Takahara Terada of Valkyria and Sakura Wars, Rieko Kodama of Sega Ages, Tetsu Katano of Sakura Wars and Puyo Puyo Chronicles) etc.) are still around and we know from IR reports that console games are more of a focus then mobile.

Who knows. If Sonic Rangers is gonna be a huge hit and well made game because they put their entire staff into that basket that would be good for Sega too tbh.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair cvxfreak has said the rules will apply to everyone and he said that people will need a damn good reason to even whisper things like "japan doesn't matter", which I feel a lot of us regulars have complained about. I think we should at least give it a few weeks to see how things work out.
yeah, you're right. we should wait and see how the new guidelines will affect the MC threads but right now i don't have a good feeling about them.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France

I feel the exact same.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
How bad will the drop for Tales of Arise be next week you think? Berseria's was like 80% right?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Accusations that companies or creators/developers are showing favoritism for or bias against certain companies (i.e. Nagoshi, Harada, Nihon Falcom, etc. for Sony/against Nintendo) are not allowed unless there is evidence supporting such accusations.
Actually, another quick question but is this targeted only to devs/pubs or does it apply generally to industry figures like journalists, analysts, etc? And will this be strictly for MC threads or does it now apply generally on Era?

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
I feel as though the rules come down to one very simple truth: the weekly sales threads have gotten very comfortable with disparaging behaviour. Yes, there are trolls, and they should either be ignored or dealt with (preferably the latter), but our regular posters make the problem so much worse than it needs to be, by being hostile even towards people that are genuinely trying to contribute data and in-depth analysis of their own.

Regarding the incident a few pages back, when someone requests you not to be so openly hostile or inflammatory towards an industry professional in how you word your posts, and your response is to repeatedly mock the person that made the request, that just shows a lack of regard for rules or any sort of civil discussion. And that's basically what it boils down to—that none of us should be exempt from posting in a civilized fashion.

And yeah, that can be difficult, given that there are a handful of posters that occasionally try to stir up trouble and test everyone's patience. But as the people that are tasked with maintaining one of the most data-driven threads on the forum week after week, I think it's fair to say the rest of us should be okay with being held to a higher standard. Think of it as an honour, as corny as that sounds.

It's not rocket science, people. It essentially boils down to: "whatever you say, be civil" and "post sources for all the data you use".

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I'll have to be more active with the ignore list. I just don't have the patience.

Ironically, I've always thought that Chris' patience was one of the biggest around here.
Most of us had the luxury to just stay away from the threads for a while when there was too much BS going on. He kinda had to be active as an essential part of the threads. I definitely couldn't have handled all the BS over the last couple months. Nobody is perfect and everyone makes mistake but I think he and many other users here were just holding out for more actions to be taken, so we could back to somewhat regular programming. It didn't really happen and kept getting worse until it reached it high point with Takes of Arise. Didn't take a part in tbag discussion because I knew things would get hairy when I read users being accused of being happy or hoping it would underperform or bomb. If you start your argument like this nothing good is gonna come from it.

'Die and be the hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain'

Tlozbj

Banned
Jun 26, 2020
Puerto Rico

As a usual lurker and time to time poster in MC threads, yeah, that is exactly what will happen. It happened in that other site the frog used to frequent, and it will naturally happen here aswell. This types of crackdowns usually don't end well. That can both because they give energy to such behavior, or because they are so tight that it just kills the thread's activity and its usual community. Even more when, as you note, the guidelines are clearly tailor made for a group, plus when the crackdown comes at such a... "convenient" moment.

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
I feel as though the rules come down to one very simple truth: the weekly sales threads have gotten very comfortable with disparaging behaviour. Yes, there are trolls, and they should either be ignored or dealt with (preferably the latter), but our regular posters make the problem so much worse than it needs to be, by being hostile even towards people that are genuinely trying to contribute data and in-depth analysis of their own.

Regarding the incident a few pages back, when someone requests you not to be so openly hostile or inflammatory towards an industry professional in how you word your posts, and your response is to repeatedly mock the person that made the request, that just shows a lack of regard for rules or any sort of civil discussion. And that's basically what it boils down to—that none of us should be exempt from posting in a civilized fashion.

And yeah, that can be difficult, given that there are a handful of posters that occasionally try to stir up trouble and test everyone's patience. But as the people that are tasked with maintaining one of the most data-driven threads on the forum week after week, I think it's fair to say the rest of us should be okay with being held to a higher standard. Think of it as an honour, as corny as that sounds.

It's not rocket science, people. It essentially boils down to: "whatever you say, be civil" and "post sources for all the data you use".
I will agree that things were getting a little heated the past few weeks. It started simmering a few months back when PS5 software data started to come in and really took off after Scarlet Nexus's launch. Ultimately, I think it was inevitable and someone did need to step in. If I appreciate cvxfreak for anything, it's at least hopefully allowing this thread to "reset" itself and cool off, if you will.

Deleted member 98338

Banned
Jun 11, 2021
How bad will the drop for Tales of Arise be next week you think? Berseria's was like 80% right?

This is the comg results for this week
www.resetera.com

Media Create Sales: Week 36, 2021 (Sep 06 - Sep 12) [Read STAFF POST] Sales

Rank Prev Console Game Total Change Price Publisher 1 – PS4 Tales of Arise 67 -181 ¥7,980 Bandai Namco 2 – NSW WarioWare: Get It Together! 21 -34 ¥4,980 Nintendo 3 NEW PS4 Neptunia x Senran Kagura: Ninja Wars 14 0 ¥7,600 Compile Heart 4 – NSW Minecraft 12 -12 ¥3,600 Microsoft 5 NEW PS4...

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I second this.

I hate(strong word, scary) both Nintendo and PlayStation equally and want them to sink with Japan market after climate change.

But trolls, stupid fanboys, even more brain dead people angry at number are annoying than my anger at video games.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
This is the comg results for this week
www.resetera.com

Media Create Sales: Week 36, 2021 (Sep 06 - Sep 12) [Read STAFF POST] Sales

Rank Prev Console Game Total Change Price Publisher 1 – PS4 Tales of Arise 67 -181 ¥7,980 Bandai Namco 2 – NSW WarioWare: Get It Together! 21 -34 ¥4,980 Nintendo 3 NEW PS4 Neptunia x Senran Kagura: Ninja Wars 14 0 ¥7,600 Compile Heart 4 – NSW Minecraft 12 -12 ¥3,600 Microsoft 5 NEW PS4...
What does this data say about sales for this upcoming week? Sorry I'm newer to these threads.

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
Also in terms of judging...er Lost Judgment's sales, the previous game had this kind of opening month (dec 13, 2018 Thursday):

03./00. [PS4] Judgment <ADV> (Sega) {2018.12.13} (¥8.290) - 148.246 / NEW <66,63%>
09./03. [PS4] Judgment <ADV> (Sega) {2018.12.13} (¥8.290) - 37.643 / 185.889 (-75%)
08./09. [PS4] Judgment <ADV> (Sega) {2018.12.13} (¥8.290) - 27.549 / 213.438 (-27%)
10./08. [PS4] Judgment <ADV> (Sega) {2018.12.13} (¥8.290) - 20.018 / 233.456 (-27%)
14./10. [PS4] Judgment <ADV> (Sega) {2018.12.13} (¥8.290) - 6.837 / 240.293 (-66%)

What are we predicting in terms of opening week? The first game had the benefit of launching during the holidays and PS4's "peak". The sequel is launching near the end of September and when PS4 is decline with PS5 being...well existent, I guess.

I guess I'll go with 100k FW, with a 3:1 PS4/PS5 ratio.

Xbro

Oct 25, 2017
My only hope is that Chris stays after this. He's the only reason I visit this forum

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a usual lurker and time to time poster in MC threads, yeah, that is exactly what will happen. It happened in that other site the frog used to frequent, and it will naturally happen here aswell. This types of crackdowns usually don't end well. That can both because they give energy to such behavior, or because they are so tight that it just kills the thread's activity and its usual community. Even more when, as you note, the guidelines are clearly tailor made for a group, plus when the crackdown comes at such a... "convenient" moment.
it just never works when moderation sets big sweeping guidelines like this for a community without consulting the members, specially those who contribute a lot to them. like it or not, some members ARE more important (and their contributions have been the reason these threads have existed and been popular for years) and their opinion on what will improve them is important. i fully agree that these threads could be better when it comes to treating newcomers, and having more patience with them, but if you've been paying close (or not so close) attention for the past few years, there are people who aren't happy with the actual and factual data being posted here. that is not something the regulars can help with. there are console warriors who don't like the data we get and would rather no one talked and analyzed the actual data. of course the solution for them is just to ignore the threads, but they don't do that and would instead invest a lot of time subtly and not-so-subtly derail the threads and troll in them with bad faith questions and arguments. so IF the new guidelines are kinda made to appease them (which to me, it looks like they are) it's really bad for the community. i'm sure the intention of the moderation is good and they want to make everyone happy. but when there's a years long campaign against these threads, in and out of them, it doesn't feel right when the guidelines are influenced by those who don't actually like the community or feel part of it.

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
What does this data say about sales for this upcoming week? Sorry I'm newer to these threads.
Welcome! It's good to have you here. I'm honestly not 100% sure how to read these numbers either, but you just need to look at the "change" on the right. The PS5 version is gone from the top 20 altogether, while the PS4 version dropped quite a bit.

Deleted member 98338

Banned
Jun 11, 2021
GQFjfA0.png

Source - https://store-tsutaya.tsite.jp/rank/game.html?sc_ext=tsutaya_store_ranking_game_sell_more

Comg basically seems to have zero stocks for ps5 arise

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
it just never works when moderation sets big sweeping guidelines like this for a community without consulting the members, specially those who contribute a lot to them.
Have you seen the AsiaEra and staff meeting thread? Nothing good came out of that. The pushback got so bad, that it took an entire community leaving to finally have a constructive mod criticism thread.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have you seen the AsiaEra and staff meeting thread? Nothing good came out of that. The pushback got so bad, that it took an entire community leaving to finally have a constructive mod criticism thread.
yeah i know about that. just saying, don't be surprised if these threads went from 20+ pages a week to much less than that.

crpj31

Dec 13, 2017
Probably the trolls will change the strategy here. They are like nature. They always find a way.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
So basically use more courteous language is the extent of the problem? Because that's all I really get from your fixation on a phrase, you don't disagree with the actual content of my post then?

Yes, it's weird but that's my opinion. I've been on and off on MC threads since GAF, usually just commenting on a performance or asking questions as I'm no industry insider. But speaking from someone outside the inner circle of regulars, there are certainly times when the thread is too comfortable with its inner jokes and takes that looks hostile to anyone not familiar with the thread, and that IMO drives away new people who are coming to ask around without much knowledge of how the Japanese gaming industry works. Ever since Nirolak left, I feel this thread never have any new knowledgeable people who are willing to explain things calmly even when those things fell outside the general consensus of the thread. The ones who stayed are either people who can put up with such hostility (with varying degrees of knowledge and how to express it) or straight up gimmicky trolls who had no interest in such discussion in the first place.

People like Ishaan (love your Zelda history btw) has met with such hostilty a few pages back that I'm amazed he's still around. Even cvxfreak who was only dropping to say "hey this is nth-hand info translated from Japanese we should be careful using it" was attacked and mocked, one of those by Chris of all people. At this point in time in this thread (I won't say always), the quality of discussion is mucked by poor choice of words and inside jokes that clamping down a bit harder seems to be the only solution, at least on this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.