Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the money hatting will only be relevant in the west, but even then it won't be that big of a factor because Japanese sales typically aren't great on Xbox. Some of the splits are as high as 80/20 for PS4/XB1 games.

I do find it strange that Square Enix keeps flip flopping back and forth on whether they care about Xbox or not. They made the decision to go multiplatform over a decade ago, which was justified because even 20% of a mainline FF/KH game is still alot of money and easily pays for the port. But then they make an exclusive deal for FF7R in 2015 as if it to say "We're not happy with these 80/20 splits", but then they port an enormous chunk of their classic catalog to Xbox......then make another exclusive deal for Athia, and we're hearing lots of rumors about XVI being exclusive as well.

It's really weird.

It might be worth noting that there was a change in leadership in between the series going multiplatform and now. I remember Wada being quoted back in the day saying that he didn't want to overwhelmingly support any single platform.

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It might be worth noting that there was a change in leadership in between the series going multiplatform and now. I remember Wada being quoted back in the day saying that he didn't want to overwhelmingly support any single platform.

I think while signing exclusive deals they might offer 80:20 split.

Common practice in media department , giving higher rev share to pubs or a guaranteed payout

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I had a terrible dream a couple of nights ago in which Microsoft bought Nintendo. That was the real reason for the lack of announcements this year. They were renamed to Microsoft Japan in the West, while keeping their name in Japan. It was weird.

Finally Xenoblade at a good resolution. 😉
It's revenue-based, so shrug

I don't think that's the case in every context. I'm sure some publishers have referenced unit sales, fully admit I might be wrong there.

Deleted member 15360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finally Xenoblade at a good resolution. 😉

I don't think that's the case in every context. I'm sure some publishers have referenced unit sales, fully admit I might be wrong there.

99% I've seen is revenue based. Dunno whether they add dlc and Mtx which is massive

Though I don't think software can really help ps5.

It's difficult to position the console for family games or portability

Though since switch proved that portability is a success not only in Japan but world wide maybe they will think about it again?

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
I think the question Aostia asked was about Japan
Imran Khan: "Sony has locked timed exclusivity for some huge and widely known multiplatform games"

There isn't anything to misinterpret here, the quote is clear. If you believe it there's a very limited list of Japanese games that belong in that group and if they are basically already Sony exclusive in Japan doesn't change anything, west is the target.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the money hatting will only be relevant in the west, but even then it won't be that big of a factor because Japanese sales typically aren't great on Xbox. Some of the splits are as high as 80/20 for PS4/XB1 games.
Monster Hunter World had big share on PC that became way bigger with Iceborne. If you want to see a worthy moneyhat from Japan that's the one.

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
DQ XII will be an interesting one. We know that it doesn't blow up in the West, so Sony doesn't get a lot from it, but maybe Sony might do it to stick it Nintendo. Which might be weird because Nintendo has already formed a good relationship with SE around that IP. The inclusion in Smash and publishing the 3DS games and XIS.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Maybe the reason Nintendo has nothing announced right now is that they're going to be at the next PS5 event?🤔
The Mario collection has not been announced yet because it will not release in September.

It will release 'holiday 2020' exclusively for the Sony PlayStation 5.
LMAO yes.

Entire months of nothing but "it's gonna be the MH:W moment in the west", console war, bans and flame.
Nonono, I hate this, every Capcom sales thread is miserable console wars because of MHW. Do you want this to happen to Dragon Quest?

Joxer

Oct 27, 2017
There's been a lot of discussion about 3rd party publishers not building an audience on Nintendo systems over the last two decades, which inevitably leads to most of the audience for specific series still being mostly on the Playstation ecosystem.

Xbox is obviously irrelevant in Japan, but if we're discussing Japanese publishers in general, we see them doing the same thing there and constantly shooting themselves in the foot.

How are you ever going to build and grow your audience on Nintendo, Xbox and even PC if your default setting is loyalty to Sony and your second thought is how much money can we wring out of Sony for exclusivity of some kind? Treating a huge portion of your potential audience as an afterthought, with a scattershot approach to support will only ever lead to scattershot results.

Just taking Square Enix as example is quite telling.

FF7R as a timed exclusive.
Avengers with the exclusive content.
Babylon's Fall console exclusive.
Athia console exclusive.
Nier as a timed exclusive.
Kingdom Hearts collections realeasing after KH3 on Xbox.

And going by the rumours (which seem to come from reliable sources) FFVI will be timed exclusive too.

Going by all this, it's logical to assume FFVIIR2 and the next Marvel game will have some form of exclusivity too.

The big publishers seem fine with never expanding beyond selling the same stuff to the same male demographic and it seems that Japanese publishers are happy to remain in an even smaller bubble.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Sony is probably going to moneyhat the majority of the big titles for the next year or two at least.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Big publishers want to compete on the world stage where graphics are king. Sony doesn't need to moneyhat them to keep them away from Nintendo. They just need to keep PlayStation somewhat viable in Japan. Enough to support a few million-sellers. So Wii U/Vita numbers will do.

Avada Kedavra

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
There's been a lot of discussion about 3rd party publishers not building an audience on Nintendo systems over the last two decades, which inevitably leads to most of the audience for specific series still being mostly on the Playstation ecosystem.

Xbox is obviously irrelevant in Japan, but if we're discussing Japanese publishers in general, we see them doing the same thing there and constantly shooting themselves in the foot.

How are you ever going to build and grow your audience on Nintendo, Xbox and even PC if your default setting is loyalty to Sony and your second thought is how much money can we wring out of Sony for exclusivity of some kind? Treating a huge portion of your potential audience as an afterthought, with a scattershot approach to support will only ever lead to scattershot results.

Just taking Square Enix as example is quite telling.

FF7R as a timed exclusive.
Avengers with the exclusive content.
Babylon's Fall console exclusive.
Athia console exclusive.
Nier as a timed exclusive.
Kingdom Hearts collections realeasing after KH3 on Xbox.

And going by the rumours (which seem to come from reliable sources) FFVI will be timed exclusive too.

Going by all this, it's logical to assume FFVIIR2 and the next Marvel game will have some form of exclusivity too.

The big publishers seem fine with never expanding beyond selling the same stuff to the same male demographic and it seems that Japanese publishers are happy to remain in an even smaller bubble.
There's no default loyalty from Square-Enix. They'll take anybody who's the highest bidder. If they were willing to let Microsoft moneyhat them into getting a timed-exclusive Tomb Raider game (which is a franchise predominantly associated to Playstation) then there's no limit to what they'll do, for the right price.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Big publishers want to compete on the world stage where graphics are king. Sony doesn't need to moneyhat them to keep them away from Nintendo. They just need to keep PlayStation somewhat viable in Japan. Enough to support a few million-sellers. So Wii U/Vita numbers will do.
These deals are for WW, not just Japan, which is why we're seeing stuff like FF getting deals.

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
Ok. I remember vividly that there was confusion around digital sales. People were assuming that week 3 counted in the may report, so people were estimating low digital ratio. In the end, though, it looks like they were wrong.

My numbers are sell thru, but yes for ship+digital it is the final day of that month, so it cut into week14 for shipments+digital

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I still maintain that if SE had swapped the release dates of Octopath and DQXI it would have made a huge difference. Shoving DQXI between Spiderman and Tomb Raider is still infuriating to this day.

It's such a great game and everyone was talking about Spiderman. Octopath had all of July to itself, all the gaming podcasts were about how pleasantly surprised they were by it.

Counter point though, Nier Automata had an even more competitive window and it didn't matter because the game just kept selling on WOM. But at the end of the day as long as DQ gets localized that's far more important than what platform its on or whether it should do this or that.

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I still maintain that if SE had swapped the release dates of Octopath and DQXI it would have made a huge difference. Shoving DQXI between Spiderman and Tomb Raider is still infuriating to this day.

It's such a great game and everyone was talking about Spiderman. Octopath had all of July to itself, all the gaming podcasts were about how pleasantly surprised they were by it.

Counter point though, Nier Automata had an even more competitive window and it didn't matter because the game just kept selling on WOM. But at the end of the day as long as DQ gets localized that's far more important than what platform its on.
Octopath topped NPD that month. Also Octopath did 2 million on Switch and West alone. Obviously DQXIS did more, but that was on three consoles and including Japan. I believe Octopath did better on the West as a whole, and that is not counting PC sales.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Octopath topped NPD that month. Also Octopath did 2 million on Switch and West alone. Obviously DQXIS did more, but that was on three consoles and including Japan. I believe Octopath did better on the West as a whole, and that is not counting PC sales.
SE's push for DQXI in the west was weak. Octopath made out way better.

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
SE's push for DQXI in the west was weak. Octopath made out way better.
Square never pushed Octopath in the West (Switch Version) the one in charge of marketing was Nintendo. Even when it was released on PC, they didn't mentioned the Switch version, on Facebook anyway. That's why the Octopath had shortages in Japan. I think Square didn't expected much from it tbh.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Square never pushed Octopath in the West (Switch Version) the one in charge of marketing was Nintendo. Even when it was released on PC, they didn't mentioned the Switch version, on Facebook anyway. That's why the Octopath had shortages in Japan. I think Square didn't expected much from it tbh.
Yeah, the Nintendo published game got the better push. I think they both underestimated the game though at launch, which hurt the game more in Japan.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I secretly want to see DQXII being ps5 exclusive, the meltdowns would be glorious

The fact that the PS4 put up this performance in Japan while being spoon fed every major Japanese (or even otherwise) 3rd party IP is kind of embarrassing to be honest, don't really see what difference another DQ would make for the PS5 at this point.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I can assure you that Bravely Default 2 will be undershipped again.
The fact that the PS4 put up this performance in Japan while being spoon fed every major Japanese (or even otherwise) 3rd party IP is kind of embarrassing to be honest, don't really see what difference another DQ would make for the PS5 at this point.
And this will motivate even more publishers to design games « for the West »

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Yeah, the Nintendo published game got the better push. I think they both underestimated the game though at launch, which hurt the game more in Japan.
Octopath was the second most important game on Switch in 2018 and it was a key to solidify their partnership with Suqare. Which it work, Switch is getting a sequel and BD2, maybe some more surprises as well.

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I can assure you that Bravely Default 2 will be undershipped again.

And this will motivate even more publishers to design games « for the West »
I can see Square going the Capcom way, focus on Triple A games and completely forget about AA games, unless someway pays them and that someone being Nintendo lol.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I can see Square going the Capcom way, focus on Triple A games and completely forget about AA games, unless someway pays them and that someone being Nintendo lol.
SE doing really well in the AA space though. Nintendo's already bankrolling Asano and DQ (and maybe TWEWY) anyway so those probably aren't going anywhere.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
IIRC, Square Enix CEO specifically said they still believe in the AA or medium budget game.

Yeah, i found it.
During a financial results briefing in November 2017, Matsuda was asked for his opinion on the Nintendo Switch, which had released earlier in the year. He replied, "Nintendo Switch is seeing rapid uptake, and we welcome the arrival of such a platform. We intend to be proactive in our development efforts given that it's a platform that is well suited to the mid-sized titles at which we excel."

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
This wasn't given big attention before. Digital stores are getting stronger but last Nintendo results confirm that these deep discounts affect digital sales/ratio and are in line with CESA reports that revenue takes a big hit comparing to sales for many games.

H1 2020 eShop top sellers
  1. Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo) [20.3.2020] a few million units :)
  2. Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics (Nintendo) [05.6.2020] 225k ≤ x ≤ 270k
  3. Human: Fall Flat (Teyon Japan) [28.12.2017]
  4. Splatoon 2 (Nintendo) [21.7.2017]
  5. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) [28.4.2017]
  6. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Nintendo) [07.12.2018]
  7. NBA 2K20 (Take-Two Japan) [06.9.2019]
  8. Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX (The Pokémon Company) [06.3.2020]
  9. Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch for Nintendo Switch (Level-5) [20.9.2019]
  10. Minecraft (Mojang / Microsoft Japan) [21.6.2018]
  11. Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaires' Conspiracy DX (Level-5) [09.8.2018]
  12. Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition (Nintendo) [29.5.2020] 125k ≤ x ≤ 145k

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
This wasn't given big attention before. Digital stores are getting stronger but last Nintendo results confirm that these deep discounts affect digital sales/ratio and are in line with CESA reports that revenue takes a big hit comparing to sales for many games.

H1 2020 eShop top sellers
  1. Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo) [20.3.2020] a few million units :)
  2. Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics (Nintendo) [05.6.2020] 225k ≤ x ≤ 270k
  3. Human: Fall Flat (Teyon Japan) [28.12.2017]
  4. Splatoon 2 (Nintendo) [21.7.2017]
  5. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) [28.4.2017]
  6. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Nintendo) [07.12.2018]
  7. NBA 2K20 (Take-Two Japan) [06.9.2019]
  8. Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX (The Pokémon Company) [06.3.2020]
  9. Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch for Nintendo Switch (Level-5) [20.9.2019]
  10. Minecraft (Mojang / Microsoft Japan) [21.6.2018]
  11. Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaires' Conspiracy DX (Level-5) [09.8.2018]
  12. Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition (Nintendo) [29.5.2020] 125k ≤ x ≤ 145k
L5 made out pretty well with those sales. Reduced the price to 1500 yen and potentially increased LTD for some of their games by like 5-10x.

I guess that's why they're doing another sale.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom report shows the same, those continued 50% off deals have increased digital ratio a lot. Q1 had 1,1m shipments in Japan when physical is nowhere close that number.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
What are the most up to date numbers we have for the PS3 release of Ni No Kuni?

These digital numbers make it so interesting to go back and look at the potential full picture for some of these games.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Until December 2018
Level 5 milion sellers

[NDS] Professor Layton and the Curious Village - 4.490.000 (Japan - 1.030.000 / overseas - 3.460.000)
[NDS] Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box - 3.880.000 (Japan - 990.000 / overseas - 2.890.000)
[NDS] Professor Layton and the Unwound Future - 3.020.000 (Japan - 890.000 / overseas - 2.130.000)
[NDS] Professor Layton and the Last Specter - 2.060.000 (Japan - 720.000 / overseas - 1.340.000)
[3DS] Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask - 1.480.000 (Japan - 460.000 / overseas - 1.020.000)

[NDS] Inazuma Eleven 2: Firestorm / Blizzard - 1.960.000 (Japan ~ 1.200.000)
[NDS] Inazuma Eleven 3: Lightning Bolt / Bomb Blast / Team Ogre Attacks! - 2.150.000 (Japan ~ 1.500.000)

[3DS] Yo-kai Watch - 2.860.000 (Japan - 1.370.000 / overseas - 1.490.000)
[3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Fleshy Souls / Bony Spirits / Psychic Specters - 7.030.000 (Japan - 5.830.000 / overseas - 1.200.000)
[3DS] Yo-kai Watch 3: Sushi / Tempura / Sukiyaki - 2.080.000 (Japan only)
[3DS] Yo-kai Watch Blasters: Red Cat Corps / White Dog Squad - 2.200.000 (Japan only)

[3DS] Fantasy Life - 1.110.000 (Japan ~ 400.000)

[PS3] Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch - 1.330.000 (Japan ~ 200.000)