robjoh

Oct 31, 2017
Even if I have never played a fishing game I am somewhat happy that one is selling well. I like when a broad range of games can be successful.

Hope other genres that is not well established can do well.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

BlackKite tweeted the weekly Tetsuya and COMG charts, and holy cow, Omega Labyrinth on Switch not only on the chart (if low), but the PS4 version is a no show. Will people actually buy the uncensored Switch version over the censored PS4 version after all?

I remember folks feeling that JP would just prefer the PS4 version anyway, but it's actually looking like that may not be the case. We'll see when the actual sales come out, but from what we have here, I'm legit surprised!

Sounds like they didnt even need a ps4 version

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
I wouldn't really worry about the switch and the developers that come to it.
I feel like there would be more potential for JPN devs to try again on Xbox as that's an untapped market right there across all regions.
Could bring it back to the Early 360 days of being a very interesting niche for the Hardcore.

That won't happen unless Microsoft go moneyhatting/funding a consistent number of exclusive/timed-exclusive A/AA japanese-focused next generation projects again, like they did with the 360. Possibly right out the gate too, because it's important to establish a different image, a 180°, than with Xbox One. Niche pubs aren't going to create that userbase themselves without a soundwave effect started by Microsoft actívely pushing a strategy to build an audience for those games, an audience that niche publishers can try to sell their games to. As it is right now it wouldn't make sense, there would be no actual benefit for those devs/pubs in putting some of their (faily scarce) eggs on Microsoft's lap

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
We've been giving Namco (justified) crap for not supporting Switch with big budget titles and their arcade fishing port with a giant shark on the box art is probably going to outsell every PS4 Namco release in Japan.
This doesn't change anything, that BN gets easy money on Switch from these B-tier efforts doesn't mean this is the right thing to do.

Even if we assume PS4 will be the leading platform for these PS4/XB1/PC games I can't think of many titles that would sell more on Xbox or PC than Switch if it was included and that's the same for almost all Japanese companies that follow similar strategy.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't really worry about the switch and the developers that come to it.
I feel like there would be more potential for JPN devs to try again on Xbox as that's an untapped market right there across all regions.
Could bring it back to the Early 360 days of being a very interesting niche for the Hardcore.
Japanese developers betting on Xbox next gen is a recipe for disaster. Small developers have no interest since there isn't audience on Xbox for their games inside and outside of Japan and for the big multiplatform it gets, sales pale comparing to PS4.

If there isn't strong moneyhat behind it's suicide to develop exclusively for it.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
This doesn't change anything, that BN gets easy money on Switch from these B-tier efforts doesn't mean this is the right thing to do.

Even if we assume PS4 will be the leading platform for these PS4/XB1/PC games I can't think of many titles that would sell more on Xbox or PC than Switch if it was included and that's the same for almost all Japanese companies that follow similar strategy.

To be clear- wasn't necessarily trying to justify Namco's efforts. Just find it funny how well Fishing Spirits is poised to do when it wasn't on anyone's radar.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
When a system has strong hardware and software sales there will always be some hits on it out of nowhere, usually games that are more family friendly.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Having your new systems adoption rate crippled by your old console is not good. Especially since when the old one has low sales already (in Japan). The new one needs a presence of some kind.
I don't think it will be crippled though. I know if it beats the ps4 LTD but I'm actually confident it will sell as well as the ps4 for at least the first 2 years and then sales should pick up.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If PS5 only sells as well as the PS4 did on its first two years software sales are going to plummet.

The transition from PS3 to PS4 needed the Vita to scrape on by.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
If PS5 only sells as well as the PS4 did on its first two years software sales are going to plummet.

It doesn't need the Vita. This time there's the switch. Any dev that needs the extra sales can do ps4/switch/ps5. There's also the pc too.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
COD is a 500k+ seller these days. Japan absolutely cares about AAA games. They'll need something to play them on.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017

PS5 biggest problem in Japan will it's price if it launches at a higher price thsn PS4 as the chances it sells more than PS4 did during it's first two years is near zero and like you said the PS4 sold poorly in Japan in it's first two years and relied on the PSV.

Another problem is Sony is making itself less neccesary to mid tier and below developer than it has been the entire Playstation ecosystems lifespan. They won't lose support in such a worse case scenario but some consumers may not be as inclined to buy the device in the intial two years.

Ultimately I doubt this will be any cause for concern for sony and will likely progress on as normal. Even in a worsr case scenario this represents a percentage or two loss in worldwide shipments that can be gained elsewhere.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Unlike the Vita the Switch will not just go away when it's convenient for Sony.

Switch owners won't move to PS5, they will move to Switch 2.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Japanese developers betting on Xbox next gen is a recipe for disaster. Small developers have no interest since there isn't audience on Xbox for their games inside and outside of Japan and for the big multiplatform it gets, sales pale comparing to PS4.

If there isn't strong moneyhat behind it's suicide to develop exclusively for it.

I didn't say anything about titles being exclusive.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Yeeeah, I understand what Kerotan is trying to say (slow start, but then sales pick up later on, as more content is released / the price gets lower), but maybe it isn't realised often enough how BAD PS4 sales were in its first years. Looking at Media Create numbers, between its launch on February 22nd, 2014 and the end of 2015, the system sold 2,300,000 units on the market. That kind of number in almost 2 years on the market isn't just low, it's very, very low.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Yeeeah, I understand what Kerotan is trying to say (slow start, but then sales pick up later on, as more content is released / the price gets lower), but maybe it isn't realised often enough how BAD PS4 sales were in its first years. Looking at Media Create numbers, between its launch on February 22nd, 2014 and the end of 2015, the system sold 2,300,000 units on the market. That kind of number in almost 2 years on the market isn't just low, it's very, very low.
Yikes. I don't really see how the PS5 can do much better than that. It's probably going to be prohibitively expensive and have very few exclusive games.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Yeah PS4 should not be your bar for performance in the first two years.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
The first 2 years are crucial. If Sony want to succeed in Japan with the PS5 they need (next gen exclusive) games like Monster Hunter, Nier and other big games early on.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
The first 2 years are crucial. If Sony want to succeed in Japan with the PS5 they need (next gen exclusive) games like Monster Hunter, Nier and other big games early on.
Speaking of which, MHW 2 will probably release at a time when publishers are still releasing cross-gen games. I wonder if Capcom will go cross-gen as well or next-gen exclusive.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Ultimately a slow launch would be expected regardless but the biggest problem would remain the snail pace ecosystem growth. While PS4 moved slowly the PS3 was still selling the PSV was near it's peak and so terms of userbase growth the period was still reasonably high. The next generation PS4 will be near dead and the PS5 will start slow and any attempt to pusg one will canabalise the other due to backwards combatibiliy.

This means not many new users will be added during this period. Relying on the switch to pick up the slack creates a dependency sony has never really had before.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Speaking of which, MHW 2 will probably release at a time when publishers are still releasing cross-gen games. I wonder if Capcom will go cross-gen as well or next-gen exclusive.
Capcom will probably go next gen, they haven't shied away on that with MH worst case scenario would be something cheap based on MHW to build up the audience before the proper sequel.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
And again...in this scenario what sort of impetus is there for the market to adopt the PS5?
By the market you mean a few million people? Well there's no doubt millions in Japan who like playstation as a home console and enjoy its SW. Whether that will be 7, 8, 9 or 10+ million next gen who knows.
Yeah that would be a disaster.

PC doesn't exist in Japan.
I thought I read somewhere that steam is becoming somewhat popular in Japan?

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
PC Market in Japan is starting to grow from what I remember. I can't say how big it is nowadays though.
It's probably not huge but I'd imagine it's forecast to grow to a level where it's relevant. I'm open to correction on this but if a game is developed for the ps4 it would be super cheap and easy to port it for the pc so while sales might be modest it could make sense and be worth the effort.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Arcsys is a good example, they were big on 360 with no exclusives that I recall and then dipped on X1 this gen outside one BB port and being forced into it with DBFZ.
ASW also had the Kunio World Collection on XBO and published The Missing in Japan. They've pretty much dropped the system now though in Japan while going full force on Switch and PS4, which isn't an uncommon story. Even big publishers like Sega or Koei Tecmo have basically stopped Xbox publishing in Japan while still porting games for overseas markets.

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
When a system has strong hardware and software sales there will always be some hits on it out of nowhere, usually games that are more family friendly.
What titles would we consider that to be the case for Switch? Zelda & Mario Party? There definitely haven't been any pleasant surprises from 3rd parties, just some smaller ones here and there.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
2018 Vs. 2019 January - July

Switch: +343.875 (+25,29%)
graph.png

PS4: -342.336 (-33,03%)
graph.png

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
(Taiwan)
Media Create Sales Week 30, 2019 (22 Jul - 28 Jul)

01./00. [NSW] Doraemon: Story of Seasons (Bandai Namco Games) {2019.07.25}
02./00. [NSW] Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Nintendo) {2019.07.26}
03./00. [NSW] Fishing Spirits: Nintendo Switch Version (Bandai Namco Games) {2019.07.25}
04./00. [NSW] Olympic Games Tokyo 2020: The Official Video Game (Sega) {2019.07.24}
05./02. [NSW] Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order (Nintendo) {2019.07.19}

(South Korea)
Media Create Sales Week 30, 2019 (22 Jul - 28 Jul)

01./00. [NSW] Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Nintendo) {2019.07.26}
02./00. [NSW] Doraemon: Story of Seasons (Bandai Namco Games) {2019.07.25}
03./00. [PS4] Olympic Games Tokyo 2020: The Official Video Game (Sega) {2019.07.24}
04./02. [NSW] Super Mario Maker 2 (Nintendo) {2019.06.28}
05./00. [NSW] Olympic Games Tokyo 2020: The Official Video Game (Sega) {2019.07.24}

According to the link, Doraemon is super popular in Taiwan, and sales of the game show its strength.
In Korea, PS4 sports games are very popular, that's why the Olympic is higher than Switch.

Additionally, Rune Factory 4 doesn't have neither Korean nor Chinese language options (language update coming this fall), so the game didn't chart.

Last edited:

TongPoo

Jul 14, 2018
Fire emblem is lower than doraemon SoS in Taiwan. That's quite a surprise. I thought Fire emblem has great appeal in Asia markets. It's also interesting to see Olympic game is higher on PS4 in Korea, while its higher on Switch in Taiwan.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's Asia gone. It's all down to the western and digital to save Fire Emblem.