Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
my current mechanical is dying, lots of keys keep missing strokes even after I removed all the keys and cleaned it as much as I could.

stupid dog hairs >_<

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
I dropped a teensy bit of water from a bottle cap on my keyboard tonight and now I'm getting phantom keystrokes.

Took the keys off where it happened, wiped it down dry and have it laying face down to dry out... hoping for the best.

Fox318

Oct 25, 2017
man I'm tempted to pick up this case

ddjIK7x.jpg

panama chief

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know of a wireless mouse that looks like the glorious model o?

i just want matte black finish with some holes in it.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
decided to switch out my ALT for a CTRL. Now just looking for a nice keycap set. also put my ALT and some switches up for sale in the BST thread since ive been having trouble selling locally.
QYmTgz0l.jpg

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone know if there's a PBT keycap set for the Keychron K6, preferably with K6 specific legends? And would Tealios/Zealios fit in them? I've been using a Cherry Brown full sized board for a few years now but recently got the K6 and figured I'd like to customize it someday.

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know if there's a PBT keycap set for the Keychron K6, preferably with K6 specific legends?
I guess it depends what you're looking for. If you just need keys that will fit the layout, lots of PBT sets (like those from EnjoyPBT) should cover the board. If you need keycaps with the specific sublegends on the Keychron I don't know of any and I doubt they exist (it'd be a very niche market). Sorry.

And would Tealios/Zealios fit in them? I've been using a Cherry Brown full sized board for a few years now but recently got the K6 and figured I'd like to customize it someday.
I would assume that any of the switches from Zeal PC would work just fine as long as you have the hotswappable version (otherwise you'd need to desolder all of the preexisting switches from the PCB).

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone else got a nk65?
I was so fucking lucky. Ended up grabbing an Entry Edition.
Gonna put some 62g Tangerines lubed with 3204 and with films.
Still unsure if I will put Hyperfuse, Vaporwave or Laser.

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else got a nk65?
I was so fucking lucky. Ended up grabbing an Entry Edition.
Gonna put some 62g Tangerines lubed with 3204 and with films.
Still unsure if I will put Hyperfuse, Vaporwave or Laser.
I have the black aluminum version from the round one groupbuy. It's been my main board since it was delivered last December and I've enjoyed using it. Glad you were able to snag one of the entry editions, sounds like they sold out quickly!

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So, after a brief venture to the Vortex Core, which is a board I really loved for travel until the USB slot broke, I bought a second Leopold Fc660m. This time with Clears, like my Core had.

God these are such great switches. I love that they have just enough resistance that I basically never bottom out. I push and the resistance really kicks in right after actuation. This means I can type faster and quieter (and slightly more accurately) than with my Browns.

Shame my fingers get real tired trying to came with them, though, so I guess I'll always have to have two keyboards.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
After dipping the tiniest toe into this scene with the Drop CTRL, I'm finally ready to build my own board, but I'm completely overwhelmed with choosing a case. I know I want a hot swap PCB, and a 60% layout, but I'm completely lost when it comes to what I'm putting those things in.

It seems like the differences from case to case are extremely slight and nuanced, but can possibly have significant ramifications for the acoustics of your board. So as a complete mecha keyboard neophyte, I could really use some direction in how to go about choosing a case.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
After dipping the tiniest toe into this scene with the Drop CTRL, I'm finally ready to build my own board, but I'm completely overwhelmed with choosing a case. I know I want a hot swap PCB, and a 60% layout, but I'm completely lost when it comes to what I'm putting those things in.

It seems like the differences from case to case are extremely slight and nuanced, but can possibly have significant ramifications for the acoustics of your board. So as a complete mecha keyboard neophyte, I could really use some direction in how to go about choosing a case.
Well, sound is very subjective.
Some boards are deeper sounding, some are higher pitched. Normally the more weight it has the lower the pitch is, but not always, if the case is very roomy, it can easily go the other way.
If you want it asap, I would get a tofu and some screw in stabs. But the hotswap dz60s are oos 😔
If you want something extra, there the option to enter some gb, but it can be much higher cost.

Oct 27, 2017

A lot of different things will determine which case you pick up. For example, ask yourself some questions like what is your budget, do you want to buy in stock items or go for a groupbuy, what material (e.g. aluminum, plastic, wood) do you want the case to be made out of, do you like low profile or high profile cases, what "look" appeals to you, etc.

Acoustics can be a rather daunting element of custom keyboards because nearly every piece you use to build one will have some impact on how it sounds. This includes case material, how the PCB is mounted, keycap profile and material, plate material, the type of switches (did you lube them?), whether or not you clip and lube your stabilizers, etc. Generally speaking, metal cases (like those made from aluminum) will be sharper and higher pitched sounding while wooden cases will sound deeper and more muffled, and plastic will fall somewhere in between the two. Though these are just generalizations, not hard and fast rules. Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
I'm new to mechanical keyboards and the favorites online are all from companies I just don't have access to currently. I'm interested in buying a mechanical keyboard but only have access to a handful of fairly mainstream brands where I am (I really mean literally a few brands).

My options are mainly gamer keyboards from Corsair, Logitech, HyperX, Razer and SteelSeries. Any recommended keyboards released by any of those?

My budget is flexible without any strong preferences due to my limited experience. In the past I've enjoyed tactile switches with medium/low actuation but I'm willing to experiment.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Well, sound is very subjective.
Some boards are deeper sounding, some are higher pitched. Normally the more weight it has the lower the pitch is, but not always, if the case is very roomy, it can easily go the other way.
If you want it asap, I would get a tofu and some screw in stabs. But the hotswap dz60s are oos 😔
If you want something extra, there the option to enter some gb, but it can be much higher cost.
I keep seeing the Tofu getting mentioned, so I guess it's time I finally take a look and see what it's all about. Thank you!
A lot of different things will determine which case you pick up. For example, ask yourself some questions like what is your budget, do you want to buy in stock items or go for a groupbuy, what material (e.g. aluminum, plastic, wood) do you want the case to be made out of, do you like low profile or high profile cases, what "look" appeals to you, etc.

Acoustics can be a rather daunting element of custom keyboards because nearly every piece you use to build one will have some impact how it sounds. This includes case material, how the PCB is mounted, keycap profile and material, plate material, the type of switches (did you lube them?), whether or not you clip and lube your stabilizers, etc. Generally speaking, metal cases (like those made from aluminum) will be sharper and higher pitched sounding while wooden cases will sound deeper and more muffled, and plastic will fall somewhere in between the two. Though these are just generalizations, not hard and fast rules. Hope this helps!
That's really good to know, how the different materials generally affect the pitch. Seems like acrylic or wood is the way to go for me! This was really helpful, thanks!

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
I keep seeing the Tofu getting mentioned, so I guess it's time I finally take a look and see what it's all about. Thank you!

That's really good to know, how the different materials generally affect the pitch. Seems like acrylic or wood is the way to go for me! This was really helpful, thanks!
Well, tofu is made of aluminum. It's on kbdfans. I think there is an acrylic version.
Also, most 60% pcbs will work for most 60% cases, but check regardless.
I'm new to mechanical keyboards and the favorites online are all from companies I just don't have access to currently. I'm interested in buying a mechanical keyboard but only have access to a handful of fairly mainstream brands where I am (I really mean literally a few brands).

My options are mainly gamer keyboards from Corsair, Logitech, HyperX, Razer and SteelSeries. Any recommended keyboards released by any of those?

My budget is flexible without any strong preferences due to my limited experience. In the past I've enjoyed tactile switches with medium/low actuation but I'm willing to experiment.
You sure you can't get access to either Leopold or Ducky? They're the two best prebuilt keyboard companies. I have a leopold and it is awesome, and a lot of people also swear by ducky.
But if I only could get those you have in you post, the newest Razer, iirc the huntsman, is a reasonable board. Look up chyrosran22's review of it.

Oct 27, 2017
Happy to help! Another place to keep an eye on if you want a hot swapable 60 percent PCB would be 1UP Keyboards. They're based out of NY, but be aware that they're currently sending out orders that accumulated during the COVID mandated shutdown, so they may be a little slow to send out any new orders as they work through their backlog. I think their standard layout PCB (the HSE) is currently out of stock, but they might still have some of the tsangan variant (HTE).

As kami_sama said above Leopold and Ducky are both good options to explore for prebuilt mechanical keyboards. Another company that may be worth looking at would be something like Varmilo, or Vortex if you feel like trying some more esoteric layouts. Not sure if any are available in your area, but they're all definitely worth consideration if you can get any of the aforementioned brands!

Last edited:

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
You sure you can't get access to either Leopold or Ducky? They're the two best prebuilt keyboard companies. I have a leopold and it is awesome, and a lot of people also swear by ducky.
But if I only could get those you have in you post, the newest Razer, iirc the huntsman, is a reasonable board. Look up chyrosran22's review of it.

As kami_sama said above Leopold and Ducky are both good options to explore for prebuilt mechanical keyboards. Another company that may be worth looking at would be something like Varmilo, or Vortex if you feel like trying some more esoteric layouts. Not sure if any are available in your area, but they're all definitely worth consideration if you can get any of the aforementioned brands!

I've heard great things about Leopold and Ducky but unfortunately neither of them are available around here (or any of the others except Razer).

As far as I can tell, the best option around here is probably the Razer Huntsman so chyrosran22's review was interesting. I'll still browse a little more but it's my current front runner, it seems solid enough to last me until my next upgrade when I should have better access.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've heard great things about Leopold and Ducky but unfortunately neither of them are available around here (or any of the others except Razer).

As far as I can tell, the best option around here is probably the Razer Huntsman so chyrosran22's review was interesting. I'll still browse a little more but it's my current front runner, it seems solid enough to last me until my next upgrade when I should have better access.
Have you looked at https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/?

For most of the brands you need to online.

That said, they shouldn't be any more expensive than the other big-boxs-store's mechanical boards.

If that's still not an option, I'd just try to pick the switch you like the best and a board with PTB keycaps, as they really do feel much better (and get less oily from skin).

edit: Oh, and make sure that the keyboard is actually using mechanical switches. Some boards claim to have "mechanical feel" switches, which are basically your normal squishy rubber-domes with a mild tactile element. I've never really heard anyone who likes those.

Last edited:

OtterMatic

Oct 25, 2017
I never have a mechanical keyboard before but I wanna try one. It seems MX Brown fit my need and some of the people here recommend Ducky...? How's the Ducky One 2? It seems to fits my budget while still backlit. But I might need a wrist rest however

edit: just preordered a TKL one

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in need of a keyboard and would be willing to spend as much as $150 for one. That being said, I don't want to spend just for the sake of spending. I want to grab a mechanical keyboard, but I also don't want to be swapping keycaps or customizing it in any way, so I don't want to spend more for the ability to customize when I'm not going to do it. My biggest wants outside of quality and durability are honestly looks - I definitely don't want something super flashy or "gamer".

After research I've decided to go with Brown switches, RGB (or at least just backlit, I'll probably just use white RGB), tenkeyless. I'm currently looking at the Ducky One 2 RGB ($125) and the Tecware Phantom RGB ($46). Obviously the Ducky is highly rated and looks great, but I'm lost at trying to figure out what the benefits are outside of a budget keyboard like the Tecware. Outside of customization, is the Ducky a that much better quality to justify the price?

Lastly, is wireless out of the question for these boards? I can't seem to find any that are.

Open to other suggestions as well! I know my questions and price-range/want list are very broad, but if anyone with experience could point me in the right direction that would be appreciated!

Oct 25, 2017
I never have a mechanical keyboard before but I wanna try one. It seems MX Brown fit my need and some of the people here recommend Ducky...? How's the Ducky One 2? It seems to fits my budget while still backlit. But I might need a wrist rest however

edit: just preordered a TKL one

I bought a Ducky Skyline TKL to try out before buying my Kira and it's a good way to get exposure to mechanical.

Deleted member 3190

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in need of a keyboard and would be willing to spend as much as $150 for one. That being said, I don't want to spend just for the sake of spending. I want to grab a mechanical keyboard, but I also don't want to be swapping keycaps or customizing it in any way, so I don't want to spend more for the ability to customize when I'm not going to do it. My biggest wants outside of quality and durability are honestly looks - I definitely don't want something super flashy or "gamer".

After research I've decided to go with Brown switches, RGB (or at least just backlit, I'll probably just use white RGB), tenkeyless. I'm currently looking at the Ducky One 2 RGB ($125) and the Tecware Phantom RGB ($46). Obviously the Ducky is highly rated and looks great, but I'm lost at trying to figure out what the benefits are outside of a budget keyboard like the Tecware. Outside of customization, is the Ducky a that much better quality to justify the price?

Lastly, is wireless out of the question for these boards? I can't seem to find any that are.

Open to other suggestions as well! I know my questions and price-range/want list are very broad, but if anyone with experience could point me in the right direction that would be appreciated!
Keychron makes wireless keyboards. Their TKL board just finished it's Kickstarter though so it wouldn't ship immediately (they do have a low profile TKL available though; the K1). I think some in this thread aren't crazy about them, but I really like my K2 and I backed the K8 as well.

Edit: I should also add they don't use Cherry switches. They use Gateron and they also have an optical switch option in some of their newer keyboards, though I'm not sure who makes them.

Oct 25, 2017
Keychron makes wireless keyboards. Their TKL board just finished it's Kickstarter though so it wouldn't ship immediately (they do have a low profile TKL available though; the K1). I think some in this thread aren't crazy about them, but I really like my K2 and I backed the K8 as well.

Edit: I should also add they don't use Cherry switches. They use Gateron and they also have an optical switch option in some of their newer keyboards, though I'm not sure who makes them.
Yeah the K8 looks great, but not sure if I can wait a month or two for it to ship. Also, looks like the battery life with RGB on is only about 72 hours. I didn't consider that aspect, not sure if wireless would even be worth it if you're constantly having to plug it in anyway.

Deleted member 3190

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the K8 looks great, but not sure if I can wait a month or two for it to ship. Also, looks like the battery life with RGB on is only about 72 hours. I didn't consider that aspect, not sure if wireless would even be worth it if you're constantly having to plug it in anyway.
I mostly use mine wired. The nice thing about the Keychron keyboards is that you have the choice, use it wired until you need it wireless. Maybe that's only for that 1 picture you're taking to showoff your minimalist setup. In other words...totally worth it. In all seriousness though the flexibility is nice even if it's an underused feature. My draw to Keychron is mostly the value that they provide. They pack a lot of features in a pretty reasonable price, even if they're not the best at any one thing.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got a Durgod K320 with brown switches after using a membrane keyboard my whole life. Feels great man.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
Ordered a GMMK TKL about 2 months ago. I was waiting on the switches/keycaps, finally received everything and was putting my board together a few days ago, and it turns out i received a defective one, the slot for the spacebar switch simply wouldn't fit, it was too small.

I contacted their support, and they said i had to film a video of the defect, which I thought was pretty annoying but I did it in about 5 minutes, just a dumbass video of me trying to push a switch into the slot lol, and now they are simply sending a new one.

Pretty good support! I might try to see if i can take the defective board apart and try to make the slot bigger and make it usable, but i'm not really good at things like that.

Taborcarn

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, that's unfortunate but at least the support experience was good.
I actually ordered a stock GMMK TKL from Amazon last week and it arrived yesterday. I'm not thrilled with the keycaps but I can replace those easily enough.
I figured I might upgrade it to Zealios eventually for now I like the Gateron Browns that it came with well enough.

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm going to take the leap and buy a ramaworks keyboard kit. Anyone here have one? I know they're pricey as hell but out of all the designs I've seen, it seems like that's the keyboard that I can see myself using for a long ass time. but I have a few questions.

if there's anyone on this board that owns one, how do they feel typing? From the reviews I've seen, they look better than they type.

also, are the keyboards one time productions or do they rerelease them? Seems like ramaworks keyboards get one limited run and then it's on to the next design. The current one on their site doesn't look as nice as their previous 65% or 60% models.

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone here have a Niz keyboard? Been thinking of getting one to replace my Kira. I'm looking for something like the old Mac Pro clear keyboards.

the_bromo_tachi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
The the drop shift has finally reached my doorstep. I immediately replaced my tab 95m with it and and started work with it. So much easier to type with. The tab 95m, all the keys are squished together, that when I want to use the arrow keys, there are times that I keep pressing the wrong key. With this keyboard, I can easily just feel my way to the arrow keys. I did get used to the tab95m after a few months but going back to something like the Shift just feels so much better. Also, I really do like an elevated keyboard. The size of the keyboard is basically the same as the tab 95m as well! Overall, really pleased with this keyboard. It sucks that I lose the macOS functionality like adjusting the volume with the f keys.

Though my only complaint is that the space bar is a bit loud. Though I usually have headphones on when I'm using my PC/Mac.

I'm retiring the tab 95m and going to use this as my main keyboard from now on. The tab95 will just be a backup from now on in case something goes wrong or maybe whenever I go back to the office, I'll use it as a work keyboard.

Last edited:

Zissou

Oct 26, 2017
The the drop shift has finally reached my doorstep. I immediately replaced my tab 95m with it and and started work with it. So much easier to type with. The tab 95m, all the keys are squished together, that when I want to use the arrow keys, there are times that I keep pressing the wrong key. With this keyboard, I can easily just feel my way to the arrow keys. I did get used to the tab95m after a few months but going back to something like the Shift just feels so much better. Also, I really do like an elevated keyboard. The size of the keyboard is basically the same as the tab 95m as well! Overall, really pleased with this keyboard. It sucks that I lose the macOS functionality like adjusting the volume with the f keys.

Though my only complaint is that the space bar is a bit loud. Though I usually have headphones on when I'm using my PC/Mac.

I'm retiring the tab 95m and going to use this as my main keyboard from now on. The tab95 will just be a backup from now on in case something goes wrong or maybe whenever I go back to the office, I'll use it as a work keyboard.

The Drop keyboards are kind of notorious for rattle in their stabilizers, so that may be part of what's causing the noise. If that's what's happening, you can swap them out. Apart from that, large keys are just inherently noisier, since there's more hollow space for the sound to reverberate, so some people put foam or other silencing material inside the spacebar itself to minimize that. I actually painted on liquid latex inside of my spacebar and it helped a lot.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
The Drop keyboards are kind of notorious for rattle in their stabilizers
Can confirm. The stock stabs on my son's cheapy $60 60% kb from Amazon put the stabs in my alt to shame. Clipped, lubed, and band aid mod made a significant difference but they were still a bit rattley because of their already shit fitment. Definitely replace them with cherry stabs.

the_bromo_tachi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
The Drop keyboards are kind of notorious for rattle in their stabilizers, so that may be part of what's causing the noise. If that's what's happening, you can swap them out. Apart from that, large keys are just inherently noisier, since there's more hollow space for the sound to reverberate, so some people put foam or other silencing material inside the spacebar itself to minimize that. I actually painted on liquid latex inside of my spacebar and it helped a lot.
Looking at one review that also mentioned the loud spacebar, it seems that's the issue. Thanks for the video, whenever I get to it, I'll definitely try to swap it out.

I was just amazed since the tab90m, everything felt high quality despite being significantly cheaper than the Shift keyboard. I definitely prefer the keycaps the tab 90m came in as well. Besides that, I'm liking the Shift overall.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Rattly stabs are the bane of my existence.
I fucking hate them.
Thankfully my fc980m has cherry ones and they don't rattle, but it is a pain in the ass if they do.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
I wanted a wireless MK with RGB and media keys. Man, I guess the only choice is the Logitech G915. They are €250 in Europe and they were on sale for €200 on Amazon, so I got one. Man, one of the best choice I made this year. I got the Tactile one and I love it. Love the build quality, the material used and typing feels so good. I also love the instant switch from bluetooth to lightspeed connection with the press of a button. Batterylife is amazing too. Have been using it for more than two weeks and I still have 78 hours of battery life. Amazing keyboard.

May 25, 2019
London
I wanted a wireless MK with RGB and media keys. Man, I guess the only choice is the Logitech G915. They are €250 in Europe and they were on sale for €200 on Amazon, so I got one. Man, one of the best choice I made this year. I got the Tactile one and I love it. Love the build quality, the material used and typing feels so good. I also love the instant switch from bluetooth to lightspeed connection with the press of a button. Batterylife is amazing too. Have been using it for more than two weeks and I still have 78 hours of battery life. Amazing keyboard.

Was looking into the TKL version of this so glad to hear favorable reviews