• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
So based on my last thread, it had me wondering about how seriously the MCU should take itself and all? Some people say that "oh its based on comics, nothing should be serious" but stuff like the Batman and DCAU have existed and they have funny moments but know when to be serious and all. Hell even various TMNT media, an idea sillier than most comics have been serious and all that. So with the MCU, where do we draw the line and what's good and all?

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
This again?

We already have Howard the Duck and are about to have Deadpool and a musical in the MCU.

Squirrel Girl next please.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Extremely serious.

The baseline should be Netflix's Daredevil and only get more serious from there, please :)

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So based on my last thread, it had me wondering about how seriously the MCU should take itself and all? Some people say that "oh its based on comics, nothing should be serious" but stuff like the Batman and DCAU have existed and they have funny moments but know when to be serious and all. Hell even various TMNT media, an idea sillier than most comics have been serious and all that. So with the MCU, where do we draw the line and what's good and all?
Its a massive media property that spans TV and movies now.

I think its ok to have different tones depending on the story being told. There's some wacky zany stuff in space and the gods and such.

There's more on the ground serious matters on earth, like with Falcon/Winter Soldier, Hawkeye, etc.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
Just less Joss Whedonish would be a great start. That goes for more than Marvel, even.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Infinity War/Endgame and Multiverse of Madness at about where I draw the line personally. I don't need these movies to be that dour or serious. I prefer the lighter more colorful superhero stories that have fun with the ideas. There's no shortage of edgy shit from the comics to pull from, but there can be a balance

OP
OP
DragonSJG

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Very seriously. Fictional people died. RIP in piece.
tired-yawn.gif

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
My view on this is it should be serious or jokey in line with the character, or at least the popular representation of the character.

It's just boring when everyone sounds like Downey's version of Tony Stark. Some characters can and should be making cracks nearly 100% of the time, like Peter Parker and Deadpool. Others should make them closer to 0% of the time, like, I dunno, Storm.

And stop undercutting your dramatic scenes with some goofy quip or slapstick at the end. You worked to build them up, why knock them down a peg? It always strikes me as incredibly self-conscious, almost like they're ashamed of it.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd prefer more serious; but I understand these movies are not made for my demographic. They are still pretty fun to watch tho.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
I don't want Marvel's BvS. Under no circumstances do I want Kamala's head bashed into a toilet.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
I'd rather the MCU err on the side of absurdity rather then being dragged down in on the pit of pretentious self-seriousness.

That being said, it should be on a character to character basis. Do I want more grounded, violent Daredevil content? Yessir! Would I also be on board with a Slapstick limited series? Abso-goddamn-lutely.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Like, they were making jokes while time traveling ie America's ass. A WW2 who probably has mental health issues is the poster boy for school seminars. It's all over the place. It is as serious as you want it to be. This is never going to be a serious franchise and I am glad Marvel knows this and tries not to cross the Ts and dot the Is in this. It's better not to think about it and enjoy the ride.

May 24, 2019
Depends on the tone of the project. They should be allowed to take everything dead seriously or poke fun at anything.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Just stay away from "Superman is as old as Jesus when he was crucified" levels of pretension and I'm fine.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Just don't give us tonal whiplash by flipflopping from Wacky Comedy to Dead Seriousness from scene to scene. Make it more of a gradual build to the serious stuff.

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017
Reminder that this is only relevant when the MCU tries to be funny but the jokes don't land. Just because they figured out a talking raccoon doesn't mean they can land a jealous axe. Just because HULK FUNNY WHEN SMASH LOKI doesn't mean they've figured out how to land irreverent gods like Zeus.

(people are only talking about this because TL&T's humor fell flat -- of course the MCU doesn't have to take itself seriously, but the audience will question whether they themselves are the punchline if the humor isn't working)

kowhite

May 14, 2019
It can be anything they want. Serious, comedy, both. Heck I know they won't but they don't all have to be big budget action movies either. The franchise is so large they don't need to be anything in particular. Granted I get why a level of humor is preferred and included in all of these, same reason they're all gonna be action movies.

That being said, doing that diversity in content means some of you won't like some of it. That's ok.

Mar 10, 2018
You know, in terms of subject matter, Iron Man 1 is very "serious," yet remains able to incorporate good humor here and there. Seems like a good critique on war profiteering and its effect on foreign nations, that just so happens to be a Marvel movie. Not the other way around.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
They do that. The notion that serious moments are never given room to breathe before a joke drops is false. Sometimes yes. Not nearly all the time.
For real, like, say what you will about Love and Thunder, but the opening of that movie alone was played super straight, and that's in a movie that is largely a gag a minute.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
They do that. The notion that serious moments are never given room to breathe before a joke drops is false. Sometimes yes. Not nearly all the time.

When Jane told Thor she had cancer, he immediately got dead serious and it was treated as a serious thing. The way people talk about that movie and his character in it, it's as if he joked about it constantly.

You know, in terms of subject matter, Iron Man 1 is very "serious," yet remains able to incorporate good humor here and there. Seems like a good critique on war profiteering and its effect on foreign nations, that just so happens to be a Marvel movie. Not the other way around.

Well speaking of jokes that don't land, that movie has the worst offender in the entire MCU.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
I think the thing with the MCU is that they realized awhile ago that having everything centered around these huge world ending events can be taken 100% seriously, but that comes with a ton of baggage. Like everyone in NYC would be emotionally destroyed after getting an alien invasion, a few city ending events, half the population disappearing and reappearing, in a decade and some change. The world would be fundamentally changed with everyone over 5 damaged beyond belief if they took the ramifications of stuff like the Snap, the existential crisis from seeing aliens and gods walking around, etc. so the other path is to play it more lightly a lot of the time.

Then there's also just the fact that we already live in a world where tragic events gets played with for levity all the time. Be it SNL, South Park, Stand Up, etc gallows humor is very popular and even within a few years of or even during, tragedies people will crack jokes.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the thing with the MCU is that they realized awhile ago that having everything centered around these huge world ending events can be taken 100% seriously, but that comes with a ton of baggage. Like everyone in NYC would be emotionally destroyed after getting an alien invasion, a few city ending events, half the population disappearing and reappearing, in a decade and some change. The world would be fundamentally changed with everyone over 5 damaged beyond belief if they took the ramifications of stuff like the Snap, the existential crisis from seeing aliens and gods walking around, etc. so the other path is to palsy it more lightly a lot of the time.

Then there's also just the fact that we already live in a world where tragic events gets played with for levity all the time. Be it SNL, South Park, Stand Up, etc gallows humor is very popular and even within a few years of or even during, tragedies people will crack jokes.
Makes me appreciate The Leftovers even more.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019

Even beyond that awful Whedon joke (that he tried to blame on Halle Berry) some characters just don't really lend themselves well to the goofy, quippy style, and Storm is one.

For me it's not even that the jokes don't land. I think a lot of them are actually pretty funny. It's that they start to erase any distinction between these characters' personalities, when they all start to speak like they're the same person.

I want more variety in the characterization. It doesn't have to be uber-serious, just varied.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Let moments be serious and all
its ok to do that

They do.

There was no quip after Natasha or Tony died. Eternals had plenty of serious moments. The finale of Loki was quite serious.

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier's scenes about racism were not undercut by humor.

The entire final sequence in Love and Thunder where Jane is losing her fight to cancer mid-battle was also played seriously. Thor and Jane's conversation about her cancer also had Thor turning off his goofball personality to talk to her seriously.

The entire ending to No Way Home is sad as hell. Peter lost everything and it's not thrown away with a quip.

They absolutely let moments be serious. You're just fixated on the jokes for some reason.

Bengraven