HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
WcD.jpg

Deadline Article

McDonald's is celebrating a new anime collaboration by launching a Los Angeles exclusive: WcDonald's, a version of McDonald's that's commonly featured in many popular anime shows.

The knock-off first appeared in the 1981 manga and anime franchise Cat's Eyes. The Los Angeles version is a prelude to a similar rollout in 30 markets worldwide. Aside from the name, the difference in the anime stores will be the availability of a special sauce, manga-inspired packaging, episodic anime shorts, and manga .

McDonald's has also partnered with the animation house studio pierrot to produce the first official WcDonald's anime. Starting Feb. 26 and lasting until March 18, 2024, McDonald's will release a new anime short and new manga every Monday. You can find them both on WcDonalds.com or by scanning the code on the new WcDonald's bag.

The four new shorts:
The Race to WcDonald's (drops Feb. 26): Two heroes embark on an epic race to WcDonald's.

Love from Across the Booth (drops March 4): Two protagonists discover the WcDonald's Sauce and WcNuggets aren't the only perfect pairing.

WcNuggets Space Frontier 3000 (drops March 11): A team of WcDonald's pilots must protect the last WcNugget against an ominous force.

The Wisdom of the Sauce (drops March 18): Three women are transported to a distant land to unravel the mystery surrounding the elusive sauce before it's gone forever.

The Official WcDonalds Website

Waiting to see Burger Kings Junji Ito themed location next.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I see the burger dude and instantly thought of that one time in CSM

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
It feels very weird for McDonalds to acknowledge a common parody of their product used to avoid copyright and like someone else said it feels like this is an excuse for them to own the copyright for WcDonalds too so anime shows have to either pony up for licensing or parody another fast food restaurant

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
I was wondering why the logo was upside down the other day. Weird, feels like a really niche reference to go that hard into.

Alent

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
If McDonalds claim WcDonalds, we'll have to use EcDonalds

Embiid

Banned
Feb 20, 2021
You goddamn weebs hsve really gone too far this time

someone bump this thread when the short drops 👀

KezayJS1

Apr 25, 2021
What was the one in Devil is a Part Timer? Was that also WcDonald's?

I never noticed that being the popular parody name for McDonald's and I recall a few anime that a sort of McD's analogue in there somewhere.

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
It hasn't even been a day, but I guarantee there's lewd art of literally every single character in that picture on Twitter already.

Dec 11, 2017
My nearest location is using the stuff early, but starting tomorrow every McDonalds should have WcDonalds cups, fry containers, sweet chili barbecue sauce, and the paper bags are manga pages.
IMG-0228.jpg

IMG-0229.webp

Last edited:

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel for the cashiers that have to explain this to folks who don't know the reference.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I was wondering why my McDonald's bag had manga on it. Just thought it was some BS. Rolled my eyes and threw it in the garbage.

OP
OP
HStallion

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Every Weebs Meal comes with a body pillow featuring the anime girl version of Ronald McDonald.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
I love that this is happening. Our timeline is pretty horrific, so it's nice to get weird joyful stuff like this once in a while.

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Wow wcdonalds actually came full circle to become a real thing

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Probably will swing by tomorrow to see if they got the packaging in + that new chili sauce.

Pizza Hut &/or Domino's needs to get back into the anime game after Code Geass & Hatsune Miku.

Apr 8, 2018
I'm guessing this Sweet Chili sauce is the exact same as the one from the BTS meal from a few years ago? That stuff was great.

Zookfoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I could go to the popup, but alas I will be back in Chicago. But at least ill be able to see all the new stuff

May 31, 2022
Baltimore, Maryland, USA
The manga McDonalds has for this WcDonald's marketing campaign was actually sketched by manga artist/illustrator Acky Bright:

Welcome to WcDonald's: McDonald's Brings Anime Fans' Favorite Fictional Restaurant to Life

Starting Feb. 26, embark on an epic journey at WcDonald’s with the savory chili sauce, manga-inspired packaging, original episodic shorts and more

(CHICAGO – Feb. 21, 2024) – For years, anime fans have been making McDonald's-inspired "WcDonald's" restaurants a part of anime's most memorable movies and shows. Now, in collaboration with some of the biggest names in anime, WcDonald's will make the move from fiction to real life. Beginning Feb. 26 in more than 30 markets around the globe, we're building on our fans' vision and imagination by unleashing the WcDonald's universe in our restaurants and beyond, with a special sauce, manga-inspired packaging, episodic shorts and so much more.

"Anime is a huge part of today's culture, and we love that our fans have been inviting us into the conversation for years," said Tariq Hassan, Chief Marketing and Customer Experience Officer at McDonald's USA. "The WcDonald's universe is a reflection of what fans have created. It honors their vision and celebrates their creativity, while authentically bringing it to life in our restaurants for the first time ever."

Manga Packaging and More from Acky Bright

We've teamed up with iconic Japanese manga artist/illustrator Acky Bright to design custom WcDonald's packaging that will take you deeper into the world of WcDonald's with every meal. For a limited time, fans will receive manga-inspired packaging featuring WcDonald's Crew characters, sketched by Acky himself.

Fans can also scan the code on the packaging to access weekly digital manga drops that star a full cast of WcDonald's Customers and Crew, including Hashirune, a WcDonald's regular, Mr. Bev, the Crew jokester, WcDizer 3000, WcDonald's very own mecha, and many more.

"I had a great time partnering with McDonald's to help make WcDonald's a reality for manga fans who have a genuine love for the brand," said Acky Bright. "From the details of the diverse Crew characters to the manga plot itself, I loved being able to use my artwork to bring to life the dynamic, vibrant world of WcDonald's for people around the world."

A Celebration of Anime Fan Art

WcDonald's wouldn't be what it is if it weren't for the creativity of our fans. So, we're recognizing three up-and-coming anime artists who have created WcDonald's-themed artwork with grants to help fund their upcoming projects and a celebration at their local McDonald's. Additionally, the three artists will receive a one-on-one mentoring session with top manga artist/illustrator, Acky Bright.

On Feb. 26, get ready for an anime-fueled adventure that starts with, "Welcome to WcDonald's, may I take your order?"