Nov 4, 2017
I can't help but wonder... to all the people who gave up the "clutter" of physical video games: what are you doing with all your new shelf space?
And who puts their games on a shelf? Mine are all neatly stored, spine up, in a big drawer at the bottom of my TV cabinet. Who went "damn that shelf looks cluttered with these sleek plastic boxes" and stopped there? My shelves are full of fossils, cultural/religious items and ornate glassware (Nathan Drake AF).

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
And who puts their games on a shelf? Mine are all neatly stored, spine up, in a big drawer at the bottom of my TV cabinet. Who went "damn that shelf looks cluttered with these sleek plastic boxes" and stopped there? My shelves are full of fossils, cultural/religious items and ornate glassware (Nathan Drake AF).

It may work if you resell games/have a small library, but counting every platform I'm at 1.500+ games.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I don't mind too much with single-player story games, but yeah with fighting games, online only MP games and the like, it's nice to just have the digital version ready to go.

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's not even something that registers for me. I literally don't think about it. I do think about sales and my ability to loan or get rid of my discs, tho.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I tend to buy games I really like digitally over time because I hate having lots of discs and changing them all the time. Digital is so convenient.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You strike me as the type to keep watching shitty infomercials at 3 am because you can't reach the remote.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
There are times where I don't really know what I want to play and I hop around my digital game until I catch a vibe. Other times my wife and I might bounce on and off our PS5, and it is so nice to have her just log into her account and switch right to the game that she wants to play.

I'll pay a premium for this digital lifestyle.

Nov 4, 2017
It may work if you resell games/have a small library, but counting every platform I'm at 1.500+ games.
Niiice. Do you have somewhere to safely catalogue and store the stuff you don't use very often? Sounds like your collection could be of significant historic value.

I don't sell games, but I only buy about one per month month. All my PS1/2/3, N64, GC and Wii stuff is stored elsewhere since I have no intention to use it anytime soon.

T-Virus

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 5, 2020
FIFA 21physical :$27 at Best Buy and you can sell it next year for $10 to get FIFA 22

FIFA 21 digital: $59 at Best Buy and can't sell it later.

My choice is clear

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
I'll echo others in this thread and say I only change game discs when I finish with one, which is every 3-4 weeks. Not a big deal.

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
As someone who just bought a ton of stuff physical because of BF sales... I agree. Such a pain to deal with physical media. Wish I could have gotten some of these digital honestly.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Even if you're pretty big with physical media. It just makes way more sense to get MP shooters, GaaS, Fighters, and forever games (Roguelikes, Minecraft, personal favorites) digitally.

I did that for a long time before finally succumbing to all digital.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
The convenience of digital certainly is massive, and for that reason I'd love to go fully digital, but I like the fact physical games are typically cheaper and a better investment. I also don't like how a digital only future means a company can pull media whenever they see fit.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
We just had this same exact thread last week, and my response then was the same: I'd rather suffer that mild inconvenience than lose the ability to sell, trade, and lend my games, and put them all at risk of loss when an online store closes down.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm 33 and I don't mind at all. I'd rather have the added value of selling/sharing my games or having copies i know I can play again for decades

OP
OP
Richardbro

Richardbro

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You strike me as the type to keep watching shitty infomercials at 3 am because you can't reach the remote.

Haha, nah I don't even watch TV these days only Netflix or streaming sites.

After a long 12 hour shift, I usually play a SP game for an hour followed by a few NHL matches and Street Fighter 5. So I have to get up multiple times which his annoying when I just want to sit there and chill.

A wise man once told me, why stand when you can sit, why sit when you can lay down. Live life like a king always.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020
Totally with you, OP. Just bought a Series S and I've been all-digital with Switch since Day 1 (aside from BotW and 3D All-Stars). Can't see me ever going back. Will keep my PS4 around as a Blu-ray player, but that's it.

OP
OP
Richardbro

Richardbro

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
We just had this same exact thread last week, and my response then was the same: I'd rather suffer that mild inconvenience than lose the ability to sell, trade, and lend my games, and put them all at risk of loss when an online store closes down.

I definitely still use physical media and enjoy collecting them, but I believe some gaming genres are a hassle to have physical (MP shooters, GaaS, Fighters, sports games etc.)

neemmss

Oct 27, 2017
Games likes CoD are the only ones that I will buy digital. I can't be arsed to put in the CoD disk anytime I want to play a quick match here and there. Everything else is physical for me.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It takes like 30 seconds if that to switch discs. Seriously not an issue.
Well, 30 seconds added to start a game kind of destroys next gen features that you paid for: impressive SSD load time advantages and features like quick resume. So instead of 7 second it takes for me to get into Spiderman, for you it would take at least 37 (this does't take into account the time it takes to spin up disc, as I have no idea how long that takes nowadays, but I'm guessing couple more seconds).

Feels like physical games are on life support now and people who still use it are stuck in the past and will have to accept more and more inconveniences.

kitzkozan

Oct 25, 2017
Games likes CoD are the only ones that I will buy digital. I can't be arsed to put in the CoD disk anytime I want to play a quick match here and there. Everything else is physical for me.

I decided to go digital with fighting games since the devs got a clue and mostly go for a release per gen + character pass each year. I know I won't resell those anyway and I tend to play in short sessions so I now prefer to have them all installed at once with the ability to quickly rotate between them (and they usually don't take much space next to most genre). For single player experiences, I still buy physical and I will keep doing that since I rotate a small number of games at a time.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Well, 30 seconds added to start a game kind of destroys next gen features that you paid for: impressive SSD load time advantages and features like quick resume. So instead of 7 second it takes for me to get into Spiderman, for you it would take at least 37 (this does't take into account the time it takes to spin up disc, as I have no idea how long that takes nowadays, but I'm guessing couple more seconds).

Feels like physical games are on life support now and people who still use it are stuck in the past and will have to accept more and more inconveniences.

Yeah, that's why I quit my job a few months ago (it would have essentially took me 17 hours and 37 seconds to get into Spiderman).

So now I've cranked that number down to around 8 hours and 37 seconds. I don't have a solution for eliminating sleep yet but when that's done I can enjoy next gen features at their fullest potential.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I love the physical collection that I have from the genesis through to PS3 (sold my NES games inexplicably long ago) and I recognize the value of physical. But I just can't justify the space that they take or the eventuality of the plastic waste they produce. Changing discs is definitely annoying but it's a lesser consideration for why I transitioned to digital, as I still enjoy playing my PS3.

bry

Oct 27, 2017
i don't buy physical but i like the option.
we're just conditioned to not using physical media too tbh.
everything is streaming and apps lol

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
you'll get my data circles over my dead body

I'm mostly on PC nowadays which is basically digital only at this point but I buy most of my console games physically

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Its very annoying especially on Switch. I went all digital on switch. Every now and then I get a physical game gifted to me. In general physical packaging is so barebones it's almost not even worth getting anymore.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
If there's a GaaS type game I know I'm going to play lots or a game I will regularly want to dip back into (Destiny/GTA Online for example) I always get them digitally, it's just too much of a pain (and I'm worried about wear and tear on the disk drive) to keep switching disks out. I won't go digital only though it's just too expensive right now, only for those few GaaS games.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind it. I just hate load times being obnoxious, and long ass DRM authentications and worst of all updates (at least this last part isn't that bad on older games that aren't getting new patches). The combination of digital games and quick resume has been fucking godsend this gen. I'll still keep my physical collection still for my older games because they still bring me joy

Salmonax

Oct 27, 2017
Ever since game discs became installers and publishers stopped including manuals or anything else worthwhile, I haven't seen the point of anything but digital.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
I feel the same way OP. Every fighting game I own this generation has been digital. As a very physically active person, I never thought that I would ever get too lazy to change a disc, but here I am. I guess it's been a slow decent into this ever since I had my OG Xbox modded 15ish years ago.

dem

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
My grandparents had a tv without a remote.. they didn't see the big deal about walking to the tv to change channels.

That's how crazy some of you sound.

I will never buy a physical copy of anything again.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
I hate changing discs/carts, but I hate not owning things even more.

I definitely appreciate the convenience, though - and I find myself buying more games digitally based on that convenience of usage.

FinalArcadia

Nov 4, 2020
USA
Gaben himself is sending me threats daily on my steam account. thank god you have physical copies OP! You're safe from the tyranny.
He threatened to kill my Sims, so I had to go off the grid to escape the potential tragedy. It's my tragic backstory on why I'm pro-physical copies.

...but in all seriousness, the main reason is that I do like to hoard things and it just feels right to me to be able to see my games on the shelves. I know the store thing is a bit sillier lol, but it's also a little bonus. But my sister is pro-digital, so I definitely get why people prefer that too.

WildGoose

Oct 27, 2017
I'm proper lazy but it's like 15-20 seconds tops to change a disc over, it's not even on my radar of stuff that annoys me

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Everyone in this thread blasting OP about how dumb and lazy this is should throw away the remote to their TV right now. That is how dumb this sounds. It's not about being lazy/not being lazy it's about technology improving our lives and us taking advantage of that.

Keep that same energy 'physical for lifers'. Throw your remote in the street.

CTRON

Jul 16, 2020
Went digital since the start of the PS4 generation, and never looked back. Switching between games is just way too convenient. Not to mention, the amount of space it saves, as I no longer have to worry about storing a stack of physical games.

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
I don't sell my games at all so when Nintendo started offering those coupons for digital games that made them roughly the same price as retail, I went 100% digital.

I like Game Pass for the same reason.