• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Key numbers
  • Change in non-farm payrolls: +2.509 million vs. -7.5 million expected and -20.687 million in April
  • Unemployment rate: 13.3% vs. 19.0% expected and 14.7% in April
  • Average hourly earnings month on month: -1.0% vs. +1.0% expected and +4.7% in April
  • Average hourly earnings year on year: +6.7% vs. +8.5% expected and +8.0% in April
finance.yahoo.com

May jobs report: US economy unexpectedly adds 2.5 million payrolls, unemployment rate falls to 13.3%

The May jobs report showed an unexpected rise in the number of non-farm payrolls in the economy and a drop in the unemployment rate from April.

Mar Tuuk

Oct 31, 2017
I'm surprised, it's good news for us all. This could be an issue for Biden In November if that trend continues.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Good news. I'm not sure how unexpected it was considering how much is reopening/retooling for online. We still have a long way to go.

RussTC3

Banned
Nov 28, 2018
This is interesting. I will say things don't feel as dire in my neck of the woods. It has never felt like we've had double digit unemployment during this pandemic.

But people ARE hurting.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was just about to create the topic. Thank fucking god, this is good news.

Oct 27, 2017
Nice. My county hit 20% unemployment so hopefully some people are getting their jobs back. Although Boeing is laying people off, so we'll see.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
This is such a monumental misprediction.

I am glad more people are able to provide for their families, and hope they are safe doing so. However, I'm not looking forward to Trump gloating on this.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
i find that hard to believe even with tons of places starting to open again. just look at that thread about teachers

Last edited:

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Objectively good news... will see how things continue to progress.

I already can't stand the Trump gloating. You got us into this mess in the first place idiot.

Amnixia

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Soooooo, panic firing of people and then realising they still needed people to do the work and started hiring again?

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's all the furloughed workers going back to work.

Permanent job loss still continued.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
All these states re-opening unsurprisingly led to jobs returning.

We'll see how it goes in June if the trend continues upward or flattens out showing a elongated recovery.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
- Leisure and hospitality: +1.2 million jobs
- Construction: +0.5M
- Education / health services: +0.4M
- Retail: +0.4M
- Manufacturing: +0.2M
- Government: -0.6M

Hedge

Oct 26, 2017
This report is definitely unexpected, good news that more people are employed though.

However 40% of the job gains are just part time workers. Does anyone know if that is typical?

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this good news? It just sounds like everyone is being forced to go back to work to possibly die of Covid-19. I live in a tourist town and everything is opening and the hotels are packed with reservations. I don't understand why we are returning to normal when the pandemic is still raging.

Mar Tuuk

Oct 31, 2017
Is this good news? It just sounds like everyone is being forced to go back to work to possibly die of Covid-19. I live in a tourist town and everything is opening and the hotels are packed with reservations. I don't understand why we are returning to normal when the pandemic is still raging.
"Why can't I go on vacation when the threat you tell me is invisible."
Crazy people. We're getting that second wave

Dehnus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm surprised, it's good news for us all. This could be an issue for Biden In November if that trend continues.
It is good news for everybody, white people experiencing uncertainty.... are... dangerous. We tend to go onto rampages when we don't get our food and comfort. Europe is a good example of that, thousands of years of continent spanning violence (with some tribal exceptions, but most relished in it).

Add to that uncertainty a president that is very willing to blame minorities and stir the pot and you're looking at a lot of violence.

So white people with too much time, no money, hungry and a Trumpaloompa stirring the pot against minorities? Yeah... erm... that sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
People have to go back to work eventually. We are left with all bad options and incompetent leadership. I would say this news is good for now because its better than what many expected. As for the long term it may have more bad consequences because of said shit leadership. All we can do is take care of ourselves and hope for the best.

I am also amazed at people booking vacations and how eager they are to just get everything back to normal. I see it with my friends. Some people are just saying fuck this I am going to do what I always did and then there are others who are maintaining distancing and trying to be careful.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
It hasn't even been a full month of re-openings and Amazon isn't hiring a million warehouse workers.

My real question;

any recent changes at the Department of Labor? *cough*

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is bad news that looks like good news, though you know Trump and McConnell will tout it as a reason to not pass another stimulus bill

Mar Tuuk

Oct 31, 2017
Trump just attacked peaceful protesters for a photo op.

Biden doesn't have to worry about shit.
If the economy returns it will historically benefit the incumbent is what I meant. The economy was what Trump was riding and if it returns then its an issue. We estimated to lose 7.5mil but gained 2.5mil. Republicans and maybe some independents will eat it up. The election is still far from now and gives Trump time.