Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
many sports cry cheating but this is the most blatant obvious cheating.

winjet81

Oct 27, 2017
Wait a minute - you're allowed to pass cars after the safety car comes out?

Can someone help me understand how that was allowed or was something else going on that made those moves legal?

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
lol at people who watched their first f1 race (or none of this season) and want to discredit max from his win

Max was clearly the best driver of the whole season. that's not even arguable

Also F1 is also a ton about strategy and Mercedes made multiple strategic mistakes this race and like the previous races, and many in the season

No rule was broken or flaunted, just like the first lap of the race, there is ambiguity in the rule. Same here with the SC. There is no hard rule.

Nothing was broken and anyone saying it was a cheat are embarrassing themselves

If you want to blame someone, blame race control, but no one "cheated", and Max had a phenomenal season and deserved championship winner regardless of this race any way

Last edited:

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
max-verstappen.gif

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
lol so much mess.

Someone on reddit pointing out the regulations say safety car should leave one lap after the lapped cars thing?

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I don't mind Max or Lewis winning, but the race direction has been a clown show this year. They make things up as they go for drama. It's a sport not a reality tv show.

Last edited:

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone whose watched F1 longer than me explain why, upon the safety car, the F1 stewards let Max gain ~14 seconds on Lewis AND move all the cars between them and JUST between them out of the way?

To me, who recently got into F1, and to my partner, who just watched her first F1 race, this seemed like a highway robbery. It feels absolutely unearned.

On the first bit regarding the gap: field bunches up under safety car for the restarts. Nothing particularly sinister there.

On the second bit with the lapped cars: that is the headscratcher. Usually it's either everyone who's lapped gets to go around or nobody. They have the right to decide that, but it seems they were in a rush to get the race restarted.

The lapped cars should have been released well before they were if they were going to do so, so you can rightly slam the race director for that. I just think they wanted to avoid a situation where it either ended under safety car or Lewis had 6 lapped cars between him and Max and could just coast to an easy win. I don't know if that was the right mindset to be making those decisions in.

Ultimately, Lewis restarting with Max right behind was the right decision but there was a lot of weirdness for how that was handled and that not all lapped cars got to benefit from the wave around. A red flag and standing restart would have been even better and fairer, I think.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
That "wins" in the title is doing A LOT of heavy lifting.

Masi needs to go. Beyond scandalous. "We wAnT mOtOR rAcInG" - well the fans want some actual competent race management and stewarding. Admit you can't do the job and walk.

Hootie

Dec 25, 2017
Lewis definitely deserved to win this race but its hard not to argue that Verstappen deserved the championship, even though I wanted Hammy to win it. Just sad that it happened in such a shithouse sort of way

Either way this season was totally bonkers. Can't wait for DTS

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
That "wins" in the title is doing A LOT of heavy lifting.

Masi needs to go. Beyond scandalous. "We wAnT mOtOR rAcInG" - well the fans want some actual competent race management and stewarding. Admit you can't do the job and walk.

The irony of course being that wanting motor racing is going to result with this being decided in court instead.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
As a dutchie I should be proud but after the owner of Red Bull showed his true face as an ass I cant say im a fan of the Red Bull brand.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
To the surprise of literally nobody, Mercedes have launched a pair of appeals. Presumably on the grounds that the rules specify all lapped cars may overtake the safety car, and that the safety car can only return to the pits the lap following the last lapped car overtaking the train. Neither happened, I think they've got the FIA bang to rights here.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
The irony of course being that wanting motor racing is going to result with this being decided in court instead.

Exactly; they bent the rules in a VERY specific fashion for a VERY specific reason.

It's a disgrace, even Max fans online have got a consensus of "not like this".

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
To the surprise of literally nobody, Mercedes have launched a pair of appeals. Presumably on the grounds that the rules specify all lapped cars may overtake the safety car, and that the safety car can only return to the pits the lap following the last lapped car overtaking the train. Neither happened, I think they've got the FIA bang to rights here.
Yeah, they've been so desperate to not rule their way into deciding the championship that they put themselves into this position. It was very clear Masi was just trying to restart the race so it didn't end under safety.

Oct 27, 2017
Go Max! Don't know what I'm happier about. Max winning or Hamilton losing. I really did not want him to get that record.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
FIA fully embracing that it's pretty much pro wrasslin now. that netflix show done their head in, unfortunately.

pretty much sporting organisation does do shit like this, but the sausage-making is just more apparent here. it kinda sucks, tbh even if i feel like max did more than enough to be considered a worthy champion. same with lewis.

like the fine line between sports and sports entertainment

KingFox

May 17, 2018
After Max crossed the finish line full on fireworks went off in my little town like its New Years Eve already, amazing 😄

King Max! 🇳🇱 👑 World Champion! Never imagined seeing the day, yet here we are. And a BIG shout out to Sergio Perez. Such a shame he DNF.

Crazy season and a sloppy ending, but overall a well deserved title for Max.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Regardless of what happens, tons of people need to be fired. Last week and today we're a farce.

Jodez99

Jan 1, 2018
The season has been nothing but stewards and penalties. Saying this one decision gave Max the title is ridiculous. There were lots of decisions going both ways all year.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
Admittedly I don't know the nuances of F1 but as a first time viewer, how did Hamilton have a 10sec+ advantage and had to pass the 5 lapped cars and the safety car comes out and the let Max go right next to him? That seems fucked up.
During the race lapped cars get the signal to let drivers that lapped them pass, so they actively go out of the way to not hinder the racing. The decision has been made to do this as well with yellow flag/safety car, it makes sense to me, even though I agree that this ultimately gave the victory to Max this race. But in other races decisions have been made to the advantage of Hamilton, arguably more.

I agree this is a dramatic finale but Max has been dominating with pole and race wins throughout this season, hence a deserved win.

Sorry if I sounded condescending, i just came from watching that race and my blood has been pumping :p

jonamok

Oct 28, 2017
Massive congratulations to the FIA and Netflix. You did it guys!!!!

It was a hard, unpredictable season, it went down to the wire, but the strategy paid off and you found a way to manufacture the ending you clearly, desperately wanted.

But yeah, well done Max. You're an amazing driver. Try to keep it clean next year though, eh?

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of how justtied your appeal is it's not going to do anything after they've already awarded the win. It's just going to make you look like a sore loser.

Also I think over the season Max deserved it anyway, and it's way more interesting than seeing Mercedes win it completely unchallenged years in a row.

After Max crossed the finish line full on fireworks went off in my little town like its New Years Eve already, amazing 😄

King Max! 🇳🇱 👑 World Champion! Never imagined seeing the day, yet here we are. And a BIG shout out to Sergio Perez. Such a shame he DNF.

Crazy season and a sloppy ending, but overall a well deserved title for Max.

Haha same here with the fireworks.

hiro42

Apr 2, 2018
During the race lapped cars get the signal to let drivers that lapped them pass, so they actively go out of the way to not hinder the racing. The decision has been made to do this as well with yellow flag/safety car, it makes sense to me, even though I agree that this ultimately gave the victory to Max this race. But in other races decisions have been made to the advantage of Hamilton, arguably more.

I agree this is a dramatic finale but Max has been dominating with pole and race wins throughout this season, hence a deserved win.

Sorry if I sounded condescending, i just came from watching that race and my blood has been pumping :p

Nah it's all good. It's seems like Max had the slightly better season overall and probably deserves the championship. Just from my novice eyes, it seemed like Lewis had this race under control. Blew my mind that the 10 second lead built throughout the race matter for nothing.

I think I'll try to watch more next year, since there will be changes for a more when field.

DCPat

Oct 28, 2017
Massive congratulations to the FIA and Netflix. You did it guys!!!!

It was a hard, unpredictable season, it went down to the wire, but the strategy paid off and you found a way to manufacture the ending you clearly, desperately wanted.

But yeah, well done Max. You're an amazing driver. Try to keep it clean next year though, eh?

Yea, smart move to tell Latifi to crash his car.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone whose watched F1 longer than me explain why, upon the safety car, the F1 stewards let Max gain ~14 seconds on Lewis AND move all the cars between them and JUST between them out of the way?

To me, who recently got into F1, and to my partner, who just watched her first F1 race, this seemed like a highway robbery. It feels absolutely unearned.
The safety car in general packs all the cars together. So that's the lead gone.

The cars in the middle are lapped cars, that normally take over the safety car and do the whole lap alone until they reach their real positions.

FreezerGeezer

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Casual fan. Seems like Max deserved the win after his season but for me personally, hated and confused by the ending haha.

How come Max was allowed to pit, get new tires and then return to his 2nd place? Could Hamilton have done the same and returned to his place?

Crazy season!