DGenerator

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto, ON, Canada
In a very rough 2019 for MatPat, he's just been accused of plagiarizing a video that provided the basis of legal expertise required to make his video about Epic Games' dance copyright battle.

In short summary,

1. On December 22 LegalEagle, a lawyer-run YouTube channel, posts a video about the legal basis of copyrightable dances, social dances and choreographed movement and how it applies to the ongoing Fortnite case. His videos often discuss real-life cases that are of public interest, including whether Trump can pardon himself, but made his bones by reacting to episodes of law shoes including the Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney anime and It's Always Sunny.
  2. On December 30, MatPat uploads his video citing similar examples and introspective reasoning on the same subject matter in a similar flow, but injects his patented MatPat "humor" into them. He does not link to LegalEagle or infer that he got his legal information from him.
  3. Some of the information MatPat provided in his video was categorically false or misleading information.
  4. MatPat is accused of plagiarizing his content from a lawyer for a video about Fortnite allegedly taking its dances from somewhere else and not providing proper recourse. The irony!
LegalEagle video in full.

MatPat video in full.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Has MatPat ever linked to any of the places he got his, uh... Game Theory shit from? Because that guy has absolutely taken things from massive reddit threads investigating similar things and/or coming up with similar theories long before he did, using the same evidence he uncovers.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The problem with Mattpatt is that he pays from other less successful YouTube channels or writers to make his episodes. So sometimes these people are young people who also watch YouTube videos for the basis of their research. So I can see how things can hurt him in that angle. (He sort of monopolize the YouTube market by in a sense, buying out his competitors, it's been like this for years).

But I recall Toby Foxx calling Mattpatt not too long ago about linking as well.

I'm a fan of his channel, but Matt has been copying other videos or taking other people's theories and making videos off of them for a long time now.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That plus not linking Heartbound and promoting it like Undertale 2 (plus basically saying it were his employees fault) makes him look very bad

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
funny because just yesterday MatPat was also called out by TobyFox for not having properly linked to the steam page of that amateur game he made a multi million viewed playthrough of

In that case the issue was not only did GT not link to the game (Heartbound) they were playing, they got the studio name wrong and also filled every corner of the video title/tags/description with Undertale references to drive clicks, leading a lot of viewers to think it was some sort of Undertale game or something Toby had made.

Really messed up.

And so as not to repeat this exact issue, here's the steam page for Heartbound: https://store.steampowered.com/app/567380/Heartbound/

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly think this is an attention grab from legal eagle to be perfectly blunt. They both are citing law, which isnt new for game theory, this is really a case of simlar thought and the timeframe between the episodes is impossible.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
So, I have to admit I have not watched the videos yet (probably won't, tbf), but there are multiple lawyers in the world and they commonly come to the same or similar conclusions about stuff because they rely on the same or similar legal authorities. Unless GT is plagiarizing language or imagery, it is very possible to come to the same or similar legal conclusions as another person without relying on their work.

I'm not saying that's necessarily what happened here, But the authority on copyrighting dances is going to be very limited.

MatPat this week:
KvHpXl9.gif

Deleted member 5864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Popular youtubers remixing content from smaller, well researched channels without attribution? Say it ain't so!

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
That plus not linking Heartbound and promoting it like Undertale 2 (plus basically saying it were his employees fault) makes him look very bad
So I actually explicitly dislike his videos but in all fairness to him, the sentence after the one about how other people did it is him literally accepting culpability. He's not trying to say that you should blame others, but just clarify that it wasn't something he directly did while accepting the blame for it himself.

[MEDIA=twitter]1080850252322693120[/MEDIA]

BackwardCap

The King of Games - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
"The MatPats of the world are out there and they want to take your stuff."

*Dead*

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
funny because just yesterday MatPat was also called out by TobyFox for not having properly linked to the steam page of that amateur game he made a multi million viewed playthrough of
Yeah, not only did he not properly link to it, the title and tags lead people to believe it was made my Toby Fox, or a sequel to Undertale. Such a scummy move

Deleted member 35011

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
In that case the issue was not only did GT not link to the game (Heartbound) they were playing, they got the studio name wrong and also filled every corner of the video title/tags/description with Undertale references to drive clicks, leading a lot of viewers to think it was some sort of Undertale game or something Toby had made.

Really messed up.

And so as not to repeat this exact issue, here's the steam page for Heartbound: https://store.steampowered.com/app/567380/Heartbound/

Yeah, if I recall Heartbound's devs even started talking about how GT's extremely misleading stream got them a lot of people asking them about their official connection to Undertale.

It was supreme clickbait, and then the GT guys explained on twitter that they were misleading on purpose to "get views for this less famous game" like it was a favor and did the "Sorry if you were offended" bit. They did promise to not do it again though.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
It also for whatever reason triggered a Tweet fight between former partners Jesse Cox (of things like Co-Optional Podcast fame) and Husky (early Starcraft 2 content creator)

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I honestly think this is an attention grab from legal eagle to be perfectly blunt. They both are citing law, which isnt new for game theory, this is really a case of simlar thought and the timeframe between the episodes is impossible.

LegalEagle is popular enough on his own

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
On December 30, MatPat uploads his video citing similar examples and introspective reasoning on the same subject matter in a similar flow, but injects his patented MatPat "humor" into them. He does not link to LegalEagle or infer that he got his legal information from him.

I feel like this is nothing new to him. Back when I still watched his videos his hello neighbor video seemed to just be ripped wholesale from people playing and boundary breaking the betas.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, like I don't think so?

The thing Matpat Piggybacks off of, is Fnaf stuff, or ussually creepier stuff.

But isn't what really put him in the map the stuff he did with undertale? And the fact that he tried to pass HeartBound as an undertale/toby Fox game proves he knows it's a money maker.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
But isn't what really put him in the map the stuff he did with undertale? And the fact that he tried to pass HeartBound as an undertale/toby Fox game proves he knows it's a money maker.
NO
GOD NO
Problably reason you know who mat pat is is FNaf
Seriously, When He puts out a Fnaf Video youtube stops

He has proffesional atheletes asking him to make fnaf videos

Like this is what set matpatt off into youtube stardom

This stuff , and the " Is mario a psycho" video

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
NO
GOD NO
The reason you know who mat pat is is FNaf
Seriously, When He puts out a Fnaf Video youtube stops

He has proffesional atheletes asking him to make fnaf videos

Eh, i didn't know who this asshole was until the "Sans is ness" and "I gave undertale to the pope" bullshit exploded everywhere, so no, I don't "Know who mat pat is because FNAF".

People in this very thread are making "Sans is Ness" jokes.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
So, I have to admit I have not watched the videos yet (probably won't, tbf), but there are multiple lawyers in the world and they commonly come to the same or similar conclusions about stuff because they rely on the same or similar legal authorities. Unless GT is plagiarizing language or imagery, it is very possible to come to the same or similar legal conclusions as another person without relying on their work.

I'm not saying that's necessarily what happened here, But the authority on copyrighting dances is going to be very limited.

That's not the issue

If MattPat did his own legal research and came to the same conclusion it wouldn't be an issue. Like the IGN plagarism incident last year, when the talking points are in the same order with similar phrases it triggers red flags. While there is some leway for calling a spade a spade, if one person calls it a spade of diamonds that is shaped like the heart of mars and a second person calls it a spade of hearts that is shaped like the diamonds of mars people are gonna naturally be suspicious.

Nobody accused projared of plagiarizing the avgn when his hydlide video came out, and the same in reverse when the avgn did reviews of super hydlide and virtual hydlide. Even though they played the same game their experiences, thoughts, jokes, and pacing were completely different. It was clear James never saw Jared's video, and while Jared IIRC referenced the face James also did the game he wanted to share his experiences.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, i didn't know who this asshole was until the "Sans is ness" and "I gave undertale to the pope" bullshit exploded everywhere, so no, I don't "Know who mat pat is because FNAF".

People in this very thread are making "Sans is Ness" jokes.
That's cool
The reason reason " San's is Ness " is a meme is because of Fnaf. People make bullshit dumb theories all the time, and no one listened. The reason it was laughed at from the mountain tops is because he was already huge

And that was because of Fnaf. You don't know him from fnaf, that's fine. But you are a minoirty.

Let me stress again, he had people stop him on the street for months and professional athletes trying to figure out when he was going to make another fnaf video.

Undertale is a big thing that made people famous

It did not make matpat famous, your analsysis of the piggy back is flawed. Mat Pat's whole set up is having problems now, but he would be doing just fine if he never did another undertale video ever again as long as Fnaf and other spook game kept coming out