• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I remember reading a statistic that noted that all the guns in Australia that were purchased as part of the buy back scheme (in addition to implementation of gun laws); would only make up about 2 weeks of US NEW gun purchases.

Just the amount of new gun purchases in America is mind-boggling.

Yep. The sheer size is daunting. Heck even if you grandfather in previous registered owners and stopped selling new guns, you are talking about a couple of hundred million registered guns out there. That will last a few generations.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Also, is pointless. I can't find any statistics either way, but my gut feeling is that weapon ownership is ineffective for self-defense and is actually making America less safe, not safer like the NRA and their political cheerleaders and gun nuts want them to believe.

I mean, think about it, when people are robbed/assaulted is usually by surprise, even if they are carrying weapons on themselves, or have them easily accessible, they are just not going to be able to reach them. Criminals have easy access to weapons and ammunition and they will carry it (because they know their victims could be carrying them as well), which involves guns in basically every crime.
Why is the US police so trigger-happy? Because every fucking US citizen out there will be potentially armed with lethal weapons, so they know a shootout is very likely and if it happens they want to be ones that shoot first (because, duh, they don't want to die).

What is happening in the USA with gun ownership is utter madness.

NRA lobbyist have made funding pretty much impossible to research gun related crimes. That's why they can spout their bullshit all the time without recourse.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, I have family there. This is becoming the new normal.

Any word yet on motive? I'm assuming angry white guy mad at women or college kids but we'll see I guess.

Aug 1, 2018
I remember reading a statistic that noted that all the guns in Australia that were purchased as part of the buy back scheme (in addition to implementation of gun laws); would only make up about 2 weeks of US NEW gun purchases.

Just the amount of new gun purchases in America is mind-boggling.

I moved to a new town in middle school and I ended up becoming good friends with this guy almost immediately. I ended up going over to his house after school one day and his dad chilling in their garage listening to music and cleaning a gun. He talked about how it was important to keep the clean and yada yada and then proceeded to take me on a tour of 4 fucking gun locker's worth of rifles and shotguns (like 20-ish guns) and then like another dozen handguns. It was insane how many guns they had and apparently most of the houses on that block were like that.

I told my parents about that and they never let me go over there again, haha.

Downhome

Oct 27, 2017

Any word yet on motive? I'm assuming angry white guy mad at women or college kids but we'll see I guess.

I highly doubt it's a coincidence that it happened to be college country music night. Then again, who knows, it could be anything. We may never know for sure.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Sad that this bar didn't do enough to defend its patrons. They should have had AI enabled ceiling turrets to eliminate threats like this.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
RIP to the ones lost.

You guys just need to make gun ownership illegal already or at least put so many hoops and barrels to own a gun. From the stories I read it's almost like voting has more hoops than obtaining a weapon

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Multiple eye-witness reports of a semi-automatic pistol. As off press briefing, sheriff unable to confirm or deny whether another weapon was used.

Though I am, admittedly, very much a laymen on this matter, I think this is the main issue.

This is why gun violence is so bad in Chicago among many other things.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand

Can we not make assumptions on the shooter? This is like Fox News' predicting that a shooter will be a brown illegal immigrant. It doesn't matter who it is until we know who it is, then we can figure out motive etc.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
How long until the Islamic terrorist narrative comes out and Trump uses this as a way to hammer home his immigrant message even if this guy was an American citizen?

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The shame of the United States is not that it hasn't prevented this. It's that it quite frankly hasn't even tried.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
To me it feels that Americans have started to accept this is "normal" even on this forum. The latest "trump said this" topic would have about 10 pages by now

I find it hard to believe that there is no huge protest in DC whenever this happens or even uproar in the media. Is life that cheap in America?

I am american and I can confirm. This is the new normal.

The NRA has won again. Fear won against love again.

In other gloomy news, it looks like we've lost our battle on
global warming. Mankind is is now doomed unless we start shooting aluminum particles or some other shit into the atmoshphere in hopes of deflecting enough sunshine that it will stop global warming from wiping out 90% of all human cities and wealth, causing untold wars and genocides, and probably be the first Gigadeath event in human history.

I'm sorry.

less

Oct 25, 2017
That some of the people were survivors of the Vegas shooting...my heart bleeds for me to have to experience this twice.

JackSwift

Oct 28, 2017
At this point, its not even enough to ban/stop all gun sales in America. We'd also need to somehow remove all guns already out there, which is impossible. These mass shootings will never end, and all I can hope for is that I or anyone I love is not caught in one.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Man sucks this is the new normal.
Condolences to the victims and families.
The middle eastern angle was terrible.

Deleted member 9838

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
These shootings can happen in red areas too like that texas shooting and Republicans will still defend their guns. Republicans will literally let the blood of their own children flow for their guns. Perverted devils.

Oct 25, 2017

This is the new normal.

Wake up, read about the newest shooting, say "oh my God", go on about your day. On occasion, the country will actually stop and pay attention if one seems worse than usual.

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
As long as we're still at the mercy of the Republicans, we can be slaughtered en masse at any time. That's really what it boils down to. If the Republicans decided to fix this, it would be fixed.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I woke up to see this sad news. I see Trump has already tried to fake empathy. Fuck all those politicians with their crocodile tears and their cut and pasted speeches. They should not get to comment any more until they fucking do something. By their actions, this is the country they want. When they did nothing after Sandy Hook, this is the country they want. When they did next to nothing after Vegas, this is the country they want. The only significant movement after Vegas was regarding bump stocks, which are still mostly legal over a year later. When they intentionally spread fear and fake news, this is the country they want.