lazerface

Banned
Feb 23, 2020
Only played through ME2 and used the soldier class, is there a wide agreement on the best class in this series?

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Screenshot_20210413-102355_YouTube.jpg

So we went from clothes to skin paint huh? This particular bit of detail honestly feels more like a downgrade to me.

Everything else looks really dope though!

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
They have successfully made an early Xbox 360 game look like an early Xbox One game. So I guess that's something. Liara outfit change is an absolute joke.

Nov 2, 2017
I honestly can't wait for this. Love mass effect. Despite playing the third game a ton with mods on pc, I'm still getting this. Though it will be hard to go back without some of the cool mods.

TheElderKing

Jul 31, 2020
I think Liara's outfit is an example of the limitations of the LE, either by cost/time issues, or decision issues.

They could've worked to add her ME/ME3 outfit as her ME default one, but they opted not to. Same goes for Ashley, for which they clearly worked on her ME model...and decided to still keep her ME3 model as it was originally.

Punxsutawney

Apr 18, 2018
Everything about this remaster sounds pretty good to me, though as a lover of ME1 and it's jank I am wary of the changes and hope they don't spoil some of it's more unique qualities.

The only unaddressed item on my personal wishlist is improvements to ME3's quest log. If I recall correctly it didn't update when you made progress with quests so for most of the sidequests I wasn't sure where I stood - I found myself just running around the entire main hub every time I returned, chatting to all NPCs to see if I had finished their quest yet.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
One thing that I think will happen is that given the improvements to ME1, people will see more clearly just how awful some parts of the original were. Simply making the Mako feel "more like a tank and not a car that floats for some reason" and improving aiming ("making it hit where you aim") will be a major improvements.

I'm split on the Mako. I loved the floaty feel of the original but thought it was terrible in combat.
This just makes me think I should give Andromeda a chance, lol.

I really liked Mass Effect, but I just don't think it's a great time investment to replay it.

Playing Andromeda would be a bigger waste of time than replaying this trilogy, I promise you that. lol
Only played through ME2 and used the soldier class, is there a wide agreement on the best class in this series?

Vanguard is a lot of fun, especially in ME2 & ME3. A great "get up in their ass" sort of aggressive combat style really.
So we went from clothes to skin paint huh? This particular bit of detail honestly feels more like a downgrade to me.

Everything else looks really dope though!

As others have pointed out I think this is just an unfortunate side effect of them taking higher fidelity assets from ME2 & ME3 and backporting them to ME1. I say that as the series got increasingly hornier with some of its female designs as it went on (Hell, Liara's ME2+3 outfit is much hornier than this IMO) and ME1 Liara's remastered female scientist design here is consistent with later titles female scientist designs which were pretty skin tight so presumably all the female scientists in ME1 who wore the same outfit as Liara will look like this.

I guess my main point being I don't necessarily think the point here was to sex up ME1 Liara but rather they had a higher fidelity asset from a later entry they could use as the starting point for their remastering process so they opted to use that instead of the original ME1 asset. That achieved their goal of unifying some amount of the aesthetics across the series while also probably reducing some of the workload by using a ME3 asset instead of an ME1 asset. Still, they certainly could've gone in and modified the ME3 asset (even if only for the ME1 version of it) and they opted not to so I guess there's that.

Last edited:

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This just makes me think I should give Andromeda a chance, lol.

I really liked Mass Effect, but I just don't think it's a great time investment to replay it.
Do it!

Andromeda has issues for sure, and it's combat can be lame.

However stick it a breezy mode snd give it a play, it has some of the strongest characters in the franchise and it's cast is simply fantastic. Suvi, Vetra, and Peebee are all great ladies and Liam, Jahaal, and Gil play off them in fantastic ways to really bring the group into a family like dynamic.

Sooooo good.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
The only unaddressed item on my personal wishlist is improvements to ME3's quest log. If I recall correctly it didn't update when you made progress with quests so for most of the sidequests I wasn't sure where I stood - I found myself just running around the entire main hub every time I returned, chatting to all NPCs to see if I had finished their quest yet.

Gosh, I totally forgot about how bad the ME3 quest log is. It's bad in a way that makes no sense as ME3's quest log doesn't really do anything new it just also doesn't do things the previous games quest logs did namely in that it doesn't surface information very well from what I recall.

Olli

Feb 6, 2021
I'm not a big fan of the new lighting, it seems everything has been dramatically brightened which takes away from the atmosphere somewhat. Everything else looks great though and I'm happy to get more mass effect whatever choices they make.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Yeah that looks about in line with what I'd expect for a remaster. It does make me yearn a bit for a full on remake of the trilogy built for the current gen, if only to imagine how amazing that would look (not that I expected that to happen). Still pretty satisfied with how this looks, and it'll be a good excuse for me to finally replay these games.

Awesome Wells

Dec 3, 2017
Cannot wait for this. Day 1 on PS4 and then by the time I get a Series X it'll be on Game Pass so I can give it another run through on better hardware.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Yeah, I feel like most of these lighting improvements can be achieved with Reshade, and I'm not a fan of making everything brighter and flat to make it better. Some of the scenes simply lost its art direction for the sake of visibility. That said, I still like the improvements in some scenes/areas.

Also, this further confirms how the "iconic" ME3 femshep is just inferior. She's lost all the emotion and micro expression in this dialogue with the dead eyes. And where is she looking at, the Salarian's neck? Or something else behind him?

Screenshot_20210413-102304_YouTube.jpg

Jaaake

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I have zero nostalgia for how ME1 looks nor do I think the way it looked and its colorization had anything to do with it having some special tone or feeling. The new version just looks better at every level. Like, people are just straight up making shit up with how a bunch of terrible planets looked as though it meant anything. It'd be like having nostalgia for the piss filter in 360 era to me.
Haha yeah, I'm pretty much here too. Legendary Edition looks great!

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Looks way better. I am extremely excited for this. Can't wait to play ME1 and 2 to completion again. Maybe I'll give ME3 another try, I really didn't give it much of a chance the first go.

Stop being weirdos about it looking different. The originals still exist. You can still play those. Jesus Christ.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Basically between these 'improvements' and the gameplay 'improvements' they talked about before, it looks like they're only interested in obliterating the greatness that ME1 brought to the table in favour of continuity with the half a good game of the rest of the series. Not a fan.

I'm sure those who praise ME2 or, god forbid, ME3, as the height of the series will be loving it, but they're wrong. Yes I'm bitter.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Do owners of Mass Effect games on Steam get a discount?

Also what's up with Liara's outfit? Why do they highlight her boobs so much? Could have left Miranda's ass shots in there as well...

elPolloDiablo

Apr 9, 2021
the Netherlands
Cannot wait! Think the lighting looks better. Will have to wait and see how the improvements for ME1 hold up. ME1 will always have a special place in my heart.
Did about 6 or 7 playthroughs on my 360 and another 6 or so when I got the trilogy on PC. I was never that bothered by the gameplay of 1 and missed the loot aspect of 1 when I played 2 and 3, but hated the streamlining of 2 and 3. Yes they played better, but the RPG elements and loot suffered heavily for it IMO

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Why do all the female human-ish faces look like absolute shit compared to the original. Ugh.

Original Liara's face looks leagues better. As well as FemShep, and default FemShep looked like ass until 3. At least Tali looks better, but how can you fuck her up really. lol

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have no interest in playing through any of the Masses Effect again but I'll get this game out of principle if I find out they change Tali's picture in 3

Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
The comparison shots to Mass Effect 1 are stark to say the least.

I can definitely see why people prefer the original look, however from judging the remaster screenshots I really just think there's no way to really translate the areas better across in the remaster. The original lighting was just awful.

I agree that some of the atmosphere has been lost a bit (and Liara's outfit change is disappointing) but I think the environments in Mass Effect 1 would just seem a little underwhelming if they were released now (the screenshots of Feros especially).

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
The texture changes are almost universally positive, but I don't understand why some of these were featured so prominently in the trailer. For example, the way the bump-mapping highlights are applied on Garrus' armor looks distracting:

V2kZ41S.png
Yeah, his armor looks a lot worse here. It looks like a texture you'd find in early PS3/360 games like Dark Sector.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People calling this a Reshade preset are either blind or they have a magic Reshade no one in the universe has.

This looks great all around.

Jimbobsmells

Nov 17, 2017
I have zero nostalgia for how ME1 looks nor do I think the way it looked and its colorization had anything to do with it having some special tone or feeling. The new version just looks better at every level. Like, people are just straight up making shit up with how a bunch of terrible planets looked as though it meant anything. It'd be like having nostalgia for the piss filter in 360 era to me.
Totally with you on this.

coldsagging

AVALANCHE
Oct 27, 2017
Looks great. I haven't touched any of the games since finishing 3 at launch, really looking forward to it.

Is it known whether all the DLC weapons and armour are in? There was some really nice stuff in 2.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
Every direct gameplay comparison looks worse to me. And I don't like at all the seemingly new claustrophobic exploration camera on the Citadel.

It feels like a continuation of other UE3 PS360 remasters such as Arkham and Bioshock - more technically refined, artistically downgraded games with little interest in preserving the artistic direction (or reinterpreting it in any way).

This is why I don't have an issue with Demon's Souls-like remasters - IMO you can modify the game's art if there is any intent coming with it. Wtf even is "beautification".

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Love the upgrades, I think it looks fantastic and I'm so excited to play through the trilogy again. For people upset or disappointed by the changes, the originals are always there.