AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's shocking to me is that Marvel didnt go to Phill Spencer at all. If they went to Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix, if they went to Insomniac and Sony, then they must have gone to EA, Ubisoft and MS, no?

What's even more surpising is how three years after announcing Spiderman on PS4 MS hasnt signed a deal with Marvel. this should be a no brainer for Phill. Established franchises so the risk for new IPs is low.

I dont see any Sony first party studios taking on marvel properties. Sony is really good with letting their talent do what they want and unless one of these studios decide to make a Marvel game, i doubt we will see another marvel franchise from them. Maybe 2nd party studios like Insomniac but other than bluepoint i really dont see any big independent studios.

I doubt Bend spent 7 years making Days Gone and leave that as one game.
I doubt GG isnt making Horizon 2 and 3
Same goes for Naughty Dog with TLOU 2 and whatever new IP they end up making
SSM will make GoW 2 and Cory's new IP
Sucker Punch will make Ghosts for the next 6-7 years.

Sony needs to create more studios or at the very least more teams per studio.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Fk this marvel shit and give me a big budget story driven single player Harry potter rpg
Come on Warner bros. Give it to GG
Warner: How do you feel about a Harry Potter game set in a Hogwarts where Death Eaters have taken over and featuring fast paced Batman combat but with magic this time?

Seriously though, based on what they did with LOTR and Mad Max, that's the only Harry Potter game I see WB making.

Stanng243

Oct 25, 2017
Warner: How do you feel about a Harry Potter game set in a Hogwarts where Death Eaters have taken over and featuring fast paced Batman combat but with magic this time?

Seriously though, based on what they did with LOTR and Mad Max, that's the only Harry Potter game I see WB making.
The Deathly Hallow games were basically fps with wands.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Hypothetically, if all Sony IPs would be shit - what they are not, quite the contrary and imo more exciting than everything from Marvel in the last 10 years.

Naughty Dog - Wolverine or everything X-Men
Santa Monica Studios - Guardians of the Galaxy, perhaps Blade
Sucker Punch - Doctor Strange
Guerilla Games - Daredevil
Japan Studio - Silver Surfer... or Guardians of the Galaxy
Media Molecule - Punisher, that's for sure.

This won't happen and I don't want it to happen, that said, I'll play! lol:

Naughty Dog: Captain America (just swap Nathan Drake for Steve Rogers and we're done!).
Santa Monica Studios: This has to be Wolverine, I mean the guy is pissed just like Kratos.
Sucker Punch: Fantastic 4, Thor or Hulk translate well-ish to the Infamous template.
Guerrilla: I imagine Iron Man here, they've made cool tech and robots in Killzone and Horizon.
Japan Studio (?): Dr. Strange I'd say, is the craziest one.
Media Molecule: Ant-Man for sure, they already did tiny characters in giant enviroments.
Bend Studios: They could get any, Daredevil, probably Punisher since they worked with Uncharted once.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What's shocking to me is that Marvel didnt go to Phill Spencer at all. If they went to Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix, if they went to Insomniac and Sony, then they must have gone to EA, Ubisoft and MS, no?

What's even more surpising is how three years after announcing Spiderman on PS4 MS hasnt signed a deal with Marvel. this should be a no brainer for Phill. Established franchises so the risk for new IPs is low.

I dont see any Sony first party studios taking on marvel properties. Sony is really good with letting their talent do what they want and unless one of these studios decide to make a Marvel game, i doubt we will see another marvel franchise from them. Maybe 2nd party studios like Insomniac but other than bluepoint i really dont see any big independent studios.

Marvel liked how Sony makes their single player games? PLus going exclusive to Xbox means you automatically cut off most of the world since Xbox isn't relevant in a lot of places. For example japan

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017

Probably not, no, EA has Star Wars. Ubi? maybe, they aren't too different to Square, just way bigger. Activsion did mostly nothing of note with the I.P for years and MS haven't done much to where they'd be a priority.
Also when you look at the big budget games MS usually publish. Online Service games are better given to someone who'll put them on every major platform it'd run on for maximum money making potential. Square's Avengers game likely isn't going to be a single-player, cinematic game for example.

Last edited:

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017

What a bizarre post. What does Phil Spencer have to do with anything? The industry doesn't revolve around him.

If I were to guess I'd say Marvel contacted Sony because a) the PS4 was dominating, b) Sony's well known for making great games and c) Sony has a strong relationship with Disney Interactive (which started because Adam Boyes and John Vignocchi are best friends).

The Deathly Hallow games were basically fps with wands.
Those were EA, not WB, but yeah, I don't think those are the kind of HP games fans are clamouring for either.

Oct 25, 2017
So there will definitely be a sequel right?
It is practically impossible for Sony's fastest selling exclusive of all time to not get a sequel.

The Weeknd was playing this game, he even shared it on insta
The Weeknd stamp of approval.

We know Marvel went to Sony to get thing started. You're suggesting MS can just make things like this happen and that doesn't seem to be how this works. Of course, Marvel could have been (or is currently) interested in MS. We'll just have to see how things go over the years.

Honestly, I'd like to see MS (Ironman) and Nintendo (Squirrel Girl) get in on it even though the likelihood may be low.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
The Weeknd stamp of approval.
tghe.gif

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

What if Marvel is just a Sony fancompany?

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017

Why would Marvel go to MS when they are barely starting to invest in their 1st party output after 17 years?
Marvel wanted their IP to be treated like a first party IP. You actually need a first party to do that

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Tbh if a first party studio was able to make a game with a big ip id want it to be Star Wars not Marvel. Im in desperate need of a story driven, semi linear, single player, third person, action/adventure, star wars game.
id kill for a Guerrilla Games Star Wars game

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I still want my Star Wars Uncharted. Though it's already killed 2 studios, so probably best not putting that curse on anyone else.

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a bizarre post. What does Phil Spencer have to do with anything? The industry doesn't revolve around him.

If I were to guess I'd say Marvel contacted Sony because a) the PS4 was dominating, b) Sony's well known for making great games and c) Sony has a strong relationship with Disney Interactive (which started because Adam Boyes and John Vignocchi are best friends).

Those were EA, not WB, but yeah, I don't think those are the kind of HP games fans are clamouring for either.

Sony went to Marvel. Marvel said cool. Sony talked to Insomniac (who were told they could do any superhero) and they chose Spider-Man.

You have it all wrong.

Oct 25, 2017
Sony went to Marvel. Marvel said cool. Sony talked to Insomniac (who were told they could do any superhero) and they chose Spider-Man.

You have it all wrong.
Nah.

https://www.resetera.com/posts/10834857/

Marvel approached Sony, wanting them to do one of their characters right with a big first-party story game. They wanted to work with one of the developers Sony FP works with frequently, and even mentioned us by name to Sony as a developer who they felt particularly fit.

Sony approached us, we were interested (obv!), and they told us Marvel wanted us to pick which hero we most wanted to play with. We picked Spider-Man (obv!).

Marvel is looking for the right partners.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
It turned out to be a brilliant move, obviously, but it's surprising Marvel didn't approach a multiplatform publisher given the stature of their IPs. You'd think they would've wanted the game everywhere.

Sir Tsunami

Oct 25, 2017
It turned out to be a brilliant move, obviously, but it's surprising Marvel didn't approach a multiplatform publisher given the stature of their IPs. You'd think they would've wanted the game everywhere.

Seeing how that's gone in the past, I'm actually not surprised they didn't go with a multiplatform publisher

elcapitano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So other than insomniac making another spiderman is it a safe bet that Marvel will ask Sony to make another game for on of their superheros? Honestly, i would hope one is already in the works or planned at least. Not the biggest Marve fan even but Spiderman was fantastic,

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
So other than insomniac making another spiderman is it a safe bet that Marvel will ask Sony to make another game for on of their superheros? Honestly, i would hope one is already in the works or planned at least. Not the biggest Marve fan even but Spiderman was fantastic,
I don't think so, Square Enix has already locked down The Avengers and Guardians of The Galaxy. And Sony are probably more than happy with Spidey.
Possible they allow them to use other characters in Spidey-PS4, as a lot are already established.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
I don't think so, Square Enix has already locked down The Avengers and Guardians of The Galaxy. And Sony are probably more than happy with Spidey.
Possible they allow them to use other characters in Spidey-PS4, as a lot are already established.
They are allowed to use other character. I think however if they want to establish a Marvel Games Universe it's best to not have insomniac write in all the lore/designs though just for the sake of a cameo. If the Universe begins to build up I suspect crossover, or if they decide to not do it all

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
They are allowed to use other character. I think however if they want to establish a Marvel Games Universe it's best to not have insomniac right in all the lore/designs though just for the sake of a cameo
Yeah, I agree. Also they aren't really needed, Spidey has a lot of great characters to work with and Insomniac have done an excellent job with everyone they have so far.
They make for great easter eggs though.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017

You have it all wrong.
lol

You mean like how Square Enix are making Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy games? Or are you talking about licensing everything Marvel to one publisher, like Activision used to have with Marvel and EA currently have with Star Wars?

Marvel are working with multiplatform publishers but that doesn't mean they can't also work with Sony too. Licensing individual Marvel properties out is the best thing that's ever happened to Marvel games.

Oct 25, 2017
lol

You mean like how Square Enix are making Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy games? Or are you talking about licensing everything Marvel to one publisher, like Activision used to have with Marvel and EA currently have with Star Wars?

Marvel are working with multiplatform publishers but that doesn't mean they can't also work with Sony too. Licensing individual Marvel properties out is the best thing that's ever happened to Marvel games.
Nameless was referring to Spider-Man being multiplat.

Aug 2, 2018
What other publishers would actually fund a full-fledged single-player superhero game without it being some sort of games as a service and having microtransactions. Worst nightmare is SE locking behind Iron-man suits and weaponry behind paywalls. Warner Bros. microtransactions in Arkham games were abysmal.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That's exactly where I'm at. These people asking for Sony to throw more of their developers at Marvel properties are scaring the hell out of me lol. TLOU, Uncharted, Horizon, God of War, Ghost of Tsushima, Days Gone, and Death Stranding are infinitely more interesting than everything Marvel has.

If I see SSM and ND making marvel games I'm buyin an Xbox next gen lol.
I feel the polar opposite. Now that Spider-Man is out, Death Stranding is the only big PS exclusive I look forward to. I respect what Sony is going for and I'm happy for the fans of those other games, but games like Uncharted, Days Gone, and TLOU always looked so vanilla to me, and that style of game never struck a cord with me. Conversely, I am so glad Sony took the job of handling Spider-Man as that's one of the best games I've played this gen. If Naughty Dog or Sucker Punch can handle a super hero game of that caliber over a boring (imo) samurai game or another TLOU, I'd be all for it.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel the polar opposite. Now that Spider-Man is out, Death Stranding is the only big PS exclusive I look forward to. I respect what Sony is going for and I'm happy for the fans of those other games, but games like Uncharted, Days Gone, and TLOU always looked so vanilla to me, and that style of game never struck a cord with me. Conversely, I am so glad Sony took the job of handling Spider-Man as that's one of the best games I've played this gen. If Naughty Dog or Sucker Punch can handle a super hero game of that caliber over a boring (imo) samurai game or another TLOU, I'd be all for it.
Disgusting

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
If you want a superhero to enjoy, go watch a movie or read a comic book, or look up a tv show. We don't need that trash infecting games everywhere.