• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
image_spider_man-39172-3639_0004.jpg

image_spider_man-39172-3639_0021.jpg

image_spider_man-39172-3639_0025.jpg

image_spider_man-39172-3639_0022.jpg
...I'll be in my bunk. This is downright unworldly.

Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn at those photo mode pics.

I forgot I preordered Spider-Man on Amazon and got my card charged. Oh well, at least I got a discount.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
You can pause the game at any second you want and it will look lifelike regardless of the position and timing, even from off screen videos.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit.

Any spoilers in their review? Wanna watch theirs but I don't wanna get spoiled of course.

He's not the one who reviews it actually, that's Brandon Jones and going by the score he loved it as well. I haven't watched their review though for fear of spoilers, this was said in the weekly podcast.

Got a link to the episode?

Won't be up on Youtube till Friday, it is up for Patrons though on their Patreon.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
So GOTY nominations at TGA this year so far - Monster Hunter World, God of War, Spider-man?

Everyone seems to be expecting RDR2 so it's probably going to be in.

That leaves the last spot and I'm not sure what it would be- SotC remake? Far Cry 5? Detroit?

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I mentioned that in the pre-laod thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/spider-man-preload-46-225-gb-is-up.66472/page-4#post-12297720

It was annoucned officially there by Insomniac but not time window for its release yet.
Cool!
He's not the one who reviews it actually, that's Brandon Jones and going by the score he loved it as well. I haven't watched their review though for fear of spoilers, this was said in the weekly podcast.
Ah, I see. Still! Very happy to hear them loving it so much.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
The way I see it, is that general consensus and aggregate doesn't matter on an individual level. So many of these reactions and your comment is basically judging the validity of reviews purely by score and how that score compares to general consensus. But score isn't what decides if something is a troll or contrarian; the text of the review does. If a review describes why the person felt the way they did and is logical and well-argued, then a score is legitimate. That's the only thing that matters.

Furthermore, reviews shouldn't be "a good representation of a product"; they should be a good representation of how that reviewer feels, how or why it impacts them. Consider Tom Chick and Agents of Mayhem. People were calling his opinions on the game as being contrarian because the game got mixed reviews and he felt it was his game of the year. On the surface, contrarian; the general consensus says that game isn't that good. But the text of the review succinctly explains why the game resonated with him and why he felt strongly about it. The score is justified. It was very a personal perspective, rather than a product review. That's a good review IMO. That's what reviews should strive to be

Another example would be the perfect Essential review for Never Alone from Eurogamer. The game's Inupiat themes and narrative and imagery deeply resonated with the reviewer and his cultural roots. But the game has low 70s aggregate scores on Metacritic. Why is that kind of review not considered contrarian, when the reasons for such a high score are very personal and subjective for the individual reviewer?

It's not about an individual review score here or there, but what the broader context of the site's review scores represent. Somebody posted a list of AAA game's and well received DLC for AAA games that GameCritic has reviewed, and while an occasional harsh score for these wouldn't raise an eyebrow to see that many very well regarded games score that lowly, it makes it hard to take the site seriously. This is especially true since if it was one person, like Quartertothree, you can say that individual just judges games very harshly. But when a site with multiple reviewers judges games consistently far harsher, then it seems as if the site either seeks out reviewers who have a tendency to judge games harshly or its a mandate - considering the site doesn't award scores on their own site but gives a score to Metacritic, it certainly strains credulity that there aren't ulterior motives.

Add in being more positive towards smaller games, and while circumstantial it's one more thing that makes me question the site.

So it's not a matter of an outlier, but rather a pattern. If a reviewer consistently is much harsher for the most popular games, then I don't know how valid that person's opinion is. Reviews are subjective, but there should be a level of objective quality obvious even if a certain type of game isn't for you, or if a blockbuster AAA isn't really your cup of tea. Does that make sense?

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So GOTY nominations at TGA this year so far - Monster Hunter World, God of War, Spider-man?

Everyone seems to be expecting RDR2 so it's probably going to be in.

That leaves the last spot and I'm not sure what it would be- SotC remake? Far Cry 5? Detroit?
While some might be quick to point out 87 as being rather low for a GOTY contender, I do think the sheer number of 9s and 10s is worth noting. It's the plethora of random 7s that really brought it down. So I definitely think it should be considered.

Maybe also Smash? It definitely wouldn't win, but it would feel weird for there to be no Nintendo game at all this year.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Just throwing this out there for those that follow Easy Allies, Kyle Bosman had a segment on the latest podcast where they talk about upcoming games. He called it pop tart or toaster strudel, pop tart means they want it bad and toaster strudel they don't care for it really. So anyway, he said that this was the most delicious pop tart he has had this year and he can't see anything else topping it.
In what universe is a pop tart better than a toaster strudel??

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I am so ready to just blast the old Spiderman 60's cartoon opening song as I swing around the city

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
It's not about an individual review score here or there, but what the broader context of the site's review scores represent. Somebody posted a list of AAA game's and well received DLC for AAA games that GameCritic has reviewed, and while an occasional harsh score for these wouldn't raise an eyebrow to see that many very well regarded games score that lowly, it makes it hard to take the site seriously. This is especially true since if it was one person, like Quartertothree, you can say that individual just judges games very harshly. But when a site with multiple reviewers judges games consistently far harsher, then it seems as if the site either seeks out reviewers who have a tendency to judge games harshly or its a mandate - considering the site doesn't award scores on their own site but gives a score to Metacritic, it certainly strains credulity that there aren't ulterior motives.

Add in being more positive towards smaller games, and while circumstantial it's one more thing that makes me question the site.

So it's not a matter of an outlier, but rather a pattern. If a reviewer consistently is much harsher for the most popular games, then I don't know how valid that person's opinion is. Reviews are subjective, but there should be a level of objective quality obvious even if a certain type of game isn't for you, or if a blockbuster AAA isn't really your cup of tea. Does that make sense?
There's where we're going to disagree. "Objective" quality should have absolutely no bearing on a review. It should be 100% subjective. If a game isn't your cup of tea, then a review should reflect that honestly. There shouldn't be some rating floor because simply because of quality.

That's not how reviews work. Reviews don't reflect the merits of work, but how those merits affect and impact the reviewer. Case in point: The Thing. No doubt the quality of that movie is not in question. It's a masterfully-made movie. But when it released, it was absolutely destroyed critically. It was hated. It was called junk and trash and a movie for morons. But now it's considered a genre masterpiece.

The "objective quality obvious" in The Thing never changed. It was the same movie now as it was then, the same acting, the same cinematography, the same effects and atmosphere. What changed was subjective opinion and perspective, culture and context. That's why those objective qualities that were considered gross trash then is seen as masterful cinematic design today

It is the same with games. The objective qualities of graphics and controls and so on isn't what dictates a game's review, but how those qualities impact a reviewer. Something could have the best graphics, most amazing gameplay in the world, the best story, but if those elements don't resonate, then a review should reflect that.

Last edited:

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While I don't think most sites will give GOTY to this over God of War or RDR2 there is hope still. Fallout 4 won over 50 GOTY awards the same year as Witcher 3 despite the fact that it had an 80 something score.

Aug 2, 2018
While some might be quick to point out 87 as being rather low for a GOTY contender, I do think the sheer number of 9s and 10s is worth noting. It's the plethora of random 7s that really brought it down. So I definitely think it should be considered.

Maybe also Smash? It definitely wouldn't win, but it would feel weird for there to be no Nintendo game at all this year.
Doom (2016) got GOTYs and it was at an 85 I think. Spider-man will definitely get one atleast. The 6 from Guardian wrecked any chance it had of being at 89-90.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
Really happy for Insomniac. Sunset Overdrive is one of my favorite games of this gen and I can't wait to swing around as Spidey.
The dream is over, its way back down to 87 and there's still EDGE...
8ijw4b4lb4j11.gif
I'm re-watching 2 as we speak and got past that a bit ago.

I know Toby was a little weepy at points but damn his voice can have some emotion behind it. He's yelling "Hang on!" to Aunt May in that scene and you can really feel the urgency in his voice.

SM2 man, so good.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
If anyone in Central Scotland wants to know where to pick this up on Thursday, PM me (y'all probably already know the shop but still). They usually break break the release date for a lot of games.

Can I get in trouble for spreading that info around?