• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrAlderson

Apr 19, 2018
Is Angry Joe playing Iron Man?

1*1ewGC2Tv4J1Czsli2AQ0jA.png

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
I think it's a huge miss for Square/Crystal. I'm still going to play it because im not in it for the MCU. I like these characters regardless of how they look. But millions of others really only know them from the films. The first thing my wife said was "that's not Iron Man."

ArcLyte

Nov 1, 2017
Good on Crystal Dynamics sticking to their guns and not giving into the mindless gamer outrage.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
are they scanning real people for these faces? the faces remind of early 2010s fictional faces, completely bland and symmetrical, lacking any kind of imperfections/idiosyncrasies you'd expect from a human face.

960x0.jpg
Yup. I'd buy it if they were generated by some kind of Create a Hero mode but nope, that's Iron Man, Thor, Cap, etc. It's really hard to believe a team spent years designing those characters and that's what they ended up with.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
They should have never been shown with as terrible as they are. Where the artists at
They are all at Eidos Montreal on this project. Personally, EM should have been the lead on the project. I was never fond of Crystal Dynamics and their art direction on their games.
The designs are fine, just people overreacting as usual.
Not even close. Captain America looks closer to the Til Schweiger than the comics or cartoons design of him.

MV5BMTU4NjEwOTg0Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMzczMzE2._V1_.jpg

Also, Cap looks like he has a receding hairline starting. Thor looks like a hobo in a cheap sci-fi viking costume. Hulk looks on point, but Bruce Branner seems a bit more beef and tall than the usual look he has in other Marvel media. Natasha looks ok I guess. No major complaints here. :/

VeggieBurger

Jan 6, 2018
i don't think they look great but i don't really care that much, they are fine i guess. i do like that the developers are not just begging for forgiveness from the gamers, promising they'll do whatever they ask and how thankful they are to have such passionate fans oh god please don't turn our game into another Anthem please buy our emotes/dances our lives are in your hands please.

R2RD

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 6, 2018
The problem is not that they don't look like the MCU version of the characters. They just look bad plain and simple. I mean nobody complained about the characters in injustice 2 not looking like Henry Cavill or Gal Gadot. Of course Injustice is not trying to imitate the DC cinematic universe like this game does.

JCreasy

Oct 27, 2017
are they scanning real people for these faces? the faces remind of early 2010s fictional faces, completely bland and symmetrical, lacking any kind of imperfections/idiosyncrasies you'd expect from a human face.

960x0.jpg

LOL they look like characters designed for a fake Marvel game that appears briefly in a movie when one of the characters plays a videogame. Or Marvel characters rendered for a Capri Sun commercial.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's a huge miss for Square/Crystal. I'm still going to play it because im not in it for the MCU. I like these characters regardless of how they look. But millions of others really only know them from the films. The first thing my wife said was "that's not Iron Man."

Think of the crazy amount they'll save by not wasting money getting their likeness and bringing in a bunch of spoiled millionaires to do voice work for a game that big.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Think of the crazy amount they'll save by not wasting money getting their likeness and bringing in a bunch of spoiled millionaires to do voice work for a game that big.
Carymond got it right, we don't care if it look like mcu actor. Just make them look hot. No one gonna complaint if Cap look like Brad Pitt or other good looking actor and not specifically lokk like Chris Evans.

No one is complaining about Bruce as far as I know.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
Are we supposed to act like that's not a classic Thor design?

4680210-2828394736-thr9kra.jpg

Or even an MCU one?
5915411bf0697c19bd8bed6jic.jpg
The issue with SE Avenger Thor is not that he retains comic Thor's torso discs, it's that design of those torso discs where executed poorly, given the art style. What kinda works in a relatively low detail 2D illustration does not always translate well to realistic 3D without some reinterpretation. MCU Thor's discs are a good example of that. To make them work in live action they're much smaller, they're domed, they've been moved around and they're embedded into other similarly coloured embellishments, not just free floating on black fabric. Admittedly, they're still a bit odd looking, but the costume designers did the best they could to minimise their inherent weirdness whilst still staying true to the original. By Comparison, SE Avenger Thor's discs are almost a literal translation of the comic book design (they're obviously more detailed but otherwise they're pretty damn close to a one to one translation) and as a result they stick out like a sore thumb and look pretty silly.

PuQfCeo.jpg

Last edited:

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
are they scanning real people for these faces?

I don't think they do. Real humans don't have as bland, nondescript faces. The characters lack any sort of...character.

And when I saw the following image I honestly thought it was a bad photoshop collage to mock the game, but no, this is actually from the game:

2uj1thd.png

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I don't think they do. Real humans don't have as bland, nondescript faces. The characters lack any sort of...character.

And when I saw the following image I honestly thought it was a bad photoshop collage to mock the game, but no, this is actually from the game:

2uj1thd.png

I will buy this game regardless but Thor does not look good. That armor looks to weird. The hair is awful.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I like how Gita Jackson perfectly described Black Widow's hair as 'not a haircut'. It's like no one has that hair unless they have been trapped on a deserted island for 6 months awaiting rescue.

ShroudOfFate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah the character designs are really not good, but asking them to change this late in the game is expecting too much. At least we'll have other gear/costumes to swap out but that's not gonna help the faces.

I'm real nervous to see what they try to do with Ms. Marvel if she's in :s

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I don;t mind the faces being different but the costumes being so MCU focused visually and color grading wise bothers me.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I thought Banner/Hulk looked pretty good. Black Widow might look better with a different haircut or at least some attempt at styled hair. The other characters aren't exactly ugly, but rather nondescript which I think is worse.

Edward

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Good on Crystal Dynamics sticking to their guns and not giving into the mindless gamer outrage.
Completely agree. I think they look fine, they aren't supposed to look like the MCU characters. Has the people complaining ever read a comic book? They look different. They change the characters look ALL the time. It's like complaining about PS4 Spider-Man because he didn't look like the guy from the new Spider-Man movie.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I could get over everyone else, but Thor (especially his armor) is just terrible and if I ever play this game I won't be able to play as him due to how terrible it looks. I know there are alt costumes, but I'd still see the original armor everytime I looked at his character model.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Aside from some visual details I think the designs were fine. Normal Graphic improvements leading up to release should fix most of the issue I had (eyes, hair, facial expressions, etc)

But that Cap costume is trash.

kinoki

Oct 28, 2017
The designs are so bad it's jarring. They look too close to the MCU counter-parts but too much like generic video game stock characters that the blandness dulls the senses. For me, it makes it impossible to look forward to the game. They look so devoid of character.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They don't like the MCU counterparts but they look faithful enough to the source material to me. Good to see them follow through with their vision.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Completely agree. I think they look fine, they aren't supposed to look like the MCU characters. Has the people complaining ever read a comic book? They look different. They change the characters look ALL the time. It's like complaining about PS4 Spider-Man because he didn't look like the guy from the new Spider-Man movie.
In the comics the characters can look terrible too. Just like they look off-model here for this game. It's the same when it's badly drawn or poorly referenced vs an artistic choice. Crystal Dynamics pulled basically what Greg Land would do if he had access to a 3D character creator.

Or how, for example, Norman Osborn is drawn here (at the center) by Alex Maleev:
detail.jpg

Whoever he used for photo-reference the character looks nothing like Osborn at all. His hair is not like that :p

And the least said about Namor and whoever was photo-referenced the better:
rco022_1472120699l7jzu.jpg

Kinketsu

Nov 17, 2017
As has been said, they didn't say they wont change them, they are just standing by the original designs by saying they wont change them due to fan criticism while conceding that they will change and improve in the normal course of working on the project. So essentially, they will change them. I would be very surprised if they didn't heavily tweak the Cap and Thor base outfits over the year they have before the game comes out, little by little. The faces are all sure to be messed with anyway.

HussiZooT

Beware the Monkey's Paw
Nov 16, 2017
My main problem wasn't with the design, but the quality of CG.

It just looked like a mobile game advertisement.

The actual gameplay snippets that we got in the trailer looked better than their cut scenes.

If they can fix that, I'll be much happier.

Infcabbage

Oct 28, 2017
Portland, Oregon
The designs overall are just bland. I mean, this is their design for Hank Pym:

avengers-ant-man-580x334.jpg

Now he's out of costume, and the narrative might play into his look (with 5 years of the Avengers disbanded). But that's still Hank Pym, in a scene, in the game. It's an uninspired look for even a down-and-out casual wear Ant-Man.
Imo this is the best design they've shown so far, it's by far the most original.

Edward

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
In the comics the characters can look terrible too. Just like they look off-model here for this game. It's the same when it's badly drawn or poorly referenced vs an artistic choice. Crystal Dynamics pulled basically what Greg Land would do if he had access to a 3D character creator.

Or how, for example, Norman Osborn is drawn here (at the center) by Alex Maleev:

Whoever he used for photo-reference the character looks nothing like Osborn at all. His hair is not like that :p

And the least said about Namor and whoever was photo-referenced the better:
I'm not saying they can't look bad i think the character models look fine my issue is more towards the costumes themselves and i 100% stand by the creators designs and decisions. Creators shouldn't compromise their vision because some people don't like what they are doing it doesn't instill confidence.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
Basically. It's always been a matter of which artist is drawing the characters. Funnily enough, the person responding to your post shows pictures of the one of the most popular Marvel arcs, and there were never really any complaints about how any of the characters were drawn during that comic's run...

I think it's a matter of being used to the changes in depictions vs the people who are just used to them looking a particular way...with that being said, Thor's hair could stand to be a lot more blonde...

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
The faces need to be reworked. An intern at An indie studio could fix them in seconds, jawline adjustments, a few tweaks to facial hair and brow lines is all it would take using the current models.

It's like someone made them unattractive on purpose as a joke. I mean Thor looks closer to fat Thor in the movie than any comic book version. And that was blatant trolling.