Raigor

May 14, 2020
If rocksteady shows off suicide squad at dc fandome and it looks better than avengers that would be hilarious

Won't be surprised, Rocksteady has been working on this game for 5 years and their latest title is still a looker and honestly they are a much better developer than Crystal Dynamics.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
What I like to do in loot games is get the best gear I can, then raid and get the best gear I can after that.
The first "raid" thing they drop is soon after launch, I just need to be decently engaged in the combat, like the leeway i'm giving this game is massive, hopefully it delivers on my absolute minimum expectation.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Won't be surprised, Rocksteady has been working on this game for 5 years and their latest title is still a looker and honestly they are a much better developer than Crystal Dynamics.
Same, Rocksteady also has a pretty clean track record in terms of gameplay innovation. I have more faith in them then I do in CD sadly.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

I played the all Xbox betas, maybe you mean the alpha test (December 2018 with an NDA). Can't find anything about changing the flying in anything leading up to the relase.

edit: best I could find was the flying controlled weird with mouse and keyboard but that was never really changed. It was really a controller game.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Hmmm...so is this game level-based, or open world??
Is it like Destiny with big open areas, and a hub?? Or do you select a mission from a menu, load in to that area, then load back out when done?
I'm confused as to the structure of the game. I"m hoping it's more like Destiny and Division in its layout

You have a hub you select missions from where you get dropped in. Only the intro apparantly drops you right in for that bridge setpiece.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I played the all Xbox betas, maybe you mean the alpha test (December 2018 with an NDA). Can't find anything about changing the flying in anything leading up to the relase.

edit: best I could find was the flying controlled weird with mouse and keyboard but that was never really changed. It was really a controller game.

Ya I played with mouse and keyboard the "it was really a controller game" isn't a defense because it was released on pc. So the flying was dogshit.

That said I won't derail and keep talking about Anthem. That games development was a disaster as discussed in Jason Schreier article so I understand why it was so uniquely terrible.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
You have a hub you select missions from where you get dropped in. Only the intro apparantly drops you right in for that bridge setpiece.

I guess that's OK too....I like Phantasy Star Online 2, so if done right like that then yeah that'll work.
Regardless, I will probably play this just because it's Avengers and loot-based. Pretty easy sell for me
on that premise alone lol

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Really happy that everybody seems to be raving about how awesome Ms. Marvel is. Pretty hyped for the beta!

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Yeah I mean all post-launch content is free outside of cosmetics, so these prices don't really surprise me. We're not sure if there are any ways to earn credits in-game yet, but even so, there seems to be plenty of costumes to unlock in game and it's really easy to not buy a cosmetic unless you feel it's worth the (expensive) price
I just feel like we already know the end-game is backhandedly going to be all about these purchasable extra costumes, the same way Destiny 2 is secretly all about the Eververse.

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if we're seeing another Anthem happening here... it'l be interesting to see how it plays out.

People have been saying you can preload the beta on PS4 but I don't seem to have anyway to do that yet. I preordered the game on PSN (digitally) and don't seem to have any sort of access to preload yet.

I think we're seeing another Destiny 1 so far. The gameplay is good enough, but it seems like the full game will just be what you can do in the beta with bigger numbers. Seems like the groundwork for a bigger and better game eventually, but its gonna be a slow start.

Anthem had a whole lot of fuckin issues beyond just being shallow

100% of these style games come out as some sort of mess, and the devs do their "we're listening and learning" shit and some are able to course correct

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
The loot not being a visible change is super disappointing.
That's going to be a game-killer and it is going to kill the game, or the game is going to change. I don't see how they plan to run a loot-game that's supposed to run multiple years with seasonal content and not have some kind of reward to players that go for all the rarities.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I think we're seeing another Destiny 1 so far. The gameplay is good enough, but it seems like the full game will just be what you can do in the beta with bigger numbers. Seems like the groundwork for a bigger and better game eventually, but its gonna be a slow start.

Anthem had a whole lot of fuckin issues beyond just being shallow

100% of these style games come out as some sort of mess, and the devs do their "we're listening and learning" shit and some are able to course correct
Problem kinda is. That Destiny got the time from alot of people. It was kinda the "first" of these type of games on console. So it kinda survived until Taken King.
Dont think 6 years later people have that patience anymore.

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
Making this being a loot game is kinda funny. Just imagining hulk picking up +1 ripped purple pants

Jun 15, 2020
All I want to know is, will we be able to free roam areas and pick up sidequests, random events and whatnot? I haven't managed to figure this out from what I've seen so far.

If this is the kind of game where you load a level, complete the objective and are then booted back to the menu, it's definitely not for me.
I hope it IS that. The open destinations in Destiny always felt like a big waste of time.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The loot not being a visible change is super disappointing.

It's the issue I have with a lot of games licensing Disney properties. They're so strict with how they can be represented that it makes them feel so locked down. Battlefront II had the same issue where they were super strict about costumes and visuals. Previous Marvel games have the same thing, no visuals for loot only pre-set costumes.

It almost makes me wish they'd use the Avengers setting but create new characters that the studio can really have freedom with, but that'd kill a big draw of the game for people which is getting to play as the characters they like. The way Disney is strict on it makes Marvel stuff a bad fit for a loot game imo.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017

Oof

Other than that, seems like a good game to play with friends or listen to a podcast whilst playing

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
That's going to be a game-killer and it is going to kill the game, or the game is going to change. I don't see how they plan to run a loot-game that's supposed to run multiple years with seasonal content and not have some kind of reward to players that go for all the rarities.

The downside of having gear that changes how you look is that you're often times stuck with ugly ass gear that you have to wear because it's the best loot you have. It's a problem Destiny had for a long time until they introduced ornaments, and they're doing a form of transmog later on after Beyond Light. Personally I don't have a problem with gear not affecting how you look in this game for that reason.

Plus, it's Marvel so people are going to going to go crazy for the outfits so it certainly isn't going to kill the game not having gear affect your looks. Maybe some people will be annoyed for a bit when they first start and see that that the new gear they just got only changes stats, but then they'll get a new outfit for their favorite character and not care at all. It's not a big deal.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Does this have some kind of time periods when it's active? I'm getting message that there are no servers active now.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
The downside of having gear that changes how you look is that you're often times stuck with ugly ass gear that you have to wear because it's the best loot you have. It's a problem Destiny had for a long time until they introduced ornaments, and they're doing a form of transmog later on after Beyond Light. Personally I don't have a problem with gear not affecting how you look in this game for that reason.
Then it's the job of the game to make it look premium. I think that's what Destiny did so well. Starter gear looked slick and iconic. Raid and endgame gear looked exclusive without losing the appeal. Spider-Man PS4 also might end up having more cosmetic changes to your character than this game. And the worst thought is if they dropped loot cosmetics to instead focus on purchasable microtransaction transmogs.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017

Hey, it's almost like this game should've been more heavily marketed from the very beginning as a multiplayer GaaS Destiny clone because that's what it actually is, instead of faffing around for 8 months trying to make it look like a AAA single-player adventure game.

Don't mind me, just going to sit here feeling validated over shit I've been saying into a void for at least a year.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
its exactly what i thought it would be. im in for the combat and loot.
It doesn't run, it swings
This guy does realize that only the media were playing this beta? Matchmaking has to have enough players to work properly. That's almost impossible with so few players playing.
considering there was so few missions available it's probably a problem. Then again it's a beta , they use to be a wrly builds

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
People comparing this to Anthem have forgotten that Anthem had:

- absurdly long load times
- crashed a lot
- had worthless loot (though this loot isn't cosmetic so that's a problem)

People comparing this to Destiny have forgotten that Destiny was content starved in terms of how short the game was. They implied it was this massive universe you'd be exploring and then playing at a slow pace I beat it in no time.

This game will certainly have it's own unique set of problems. The lack of heroes being the first big issue here.

Does this dude ever like anything? I don't know him but everytime I see a tweet of his he's always complaining.

He likes a ton of games! Just not this. Which is fine. It might not be for him.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Making this being a loot game is kinda funny. Just imagining hulk picking up +1 ripped purple pants
It works, all it takes is good stats on gear that change the way you play, or complements the way you want to play along with other gear with complementary stats and ability altering buffs.

Y6esUhE.png

Final Fantasy 7 Remake just released this year and gear doesn't change the way the characters look. It changes the weapon though. It's the same for Persona, and a ton of other games. There's games like Path of Exile that let you keep a certain look no matter what gear you put on (glamour is what it's called I think, sometimes a vanity gear system), it's popular in MMORPGs.

Exposure

Oct 25, 2017
Then it's the job of the game to make it look premium. I think that's what Destiny did so well.
This would be the same Destiny that had people asking for a transmog system since the first game came out and people celebrated when Bungie finally gave in and announced they would be adding one, correct?

Like I don't think there's ever a game that has ever done satisfying "loot affects your appearance", because it ultimately runs into the problem of either:

A) Everything looks good from the get go. Your artists hate you for making them go all out on a bajillion different items, and the expense involved here means I genuinely can't think of a game that actually does this.

B) You do the standard MMO thing of having a grading scale of quality, with lower tier equipment being relatively shabby (and cheap to do) and higher tier equipment looking good and high quality.

This ends up like every other game that has ever done this, where people eventually just ask for a transmog system because it turns out in stat heavy RPG-like games, people will generally always do this:

And will be always be in a state of annoyance that they have to choose between actually looking good and being an effective combatant, until the day of a transmog system arrives.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
I'm guessing that Eidos Montreal has been working completely on Avengers since releasing Tomb Raider 2018.

Nope, only 50 devs at EM assisted CD with Avengers

The other 480+ were working on Tomb Raider and GOTG

June 2018

"We have 50 developers working on Avengers," Eidos Montreal studio head David Anfossi tells us. "Close to 200 developers are working on Tomb Raider. It's been three and a half years of work. Currently we total around 505 people. At some point I stopped the growth of the studio to make sure that we sit and look at where we want to be in five and ten years. We now have a very clear plan for the next five years. We've a lot of different things at the moment including incubation projects, so now I am comfortable to increase the size of the studio. We should be 530 by the end of this year."

www.mcvuk.com

How Avengers and Tomb Raider maintain Eidos Montreal's status as the shining jewel of the region - MCV/DEVELOP

Eidos Montreal has crafted a fantastic legacy for itself during its 11 year history. We speak to studio head David Anfossi about the company’s future roadmap, development process and how its partnership with Marvel on the Avengers project fits into all that.

Dhuggs_

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
So I got my beta codes, downloaded it, and decided to run it yesterday. Some how I was able to play it? Played as Thor, Iron Man, and Hulk during the intro/tutorial level and there were times where I was like, "Oh hey this is pretty neat" to "Jeez this is a bit rough" only played 10 mins before the servers went down lol

It seems to be what Destiny was for me, which was a perfect podcast game.