GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
103_A_0093C011_230307_094748_a1CAM_r709.88426.jpg

FYI, Sasheer Zamata's character is Jennifer Kale, a recurring sorceress from the comics who is typically associated with Man-Thing, and Ali Ahn's character is Alice Wu-Gulliver, a (really) minor character in the comics who is a detective with witch powers.

latest

Patti LuPone's character is Lilia Calderu, a historical character in the comics who was the mother of Baron Mordo's daughter. Probably not the case here.

latest

Aubrey Plaza's character is named "Rio Vidal," who is unique to the show so far as we know. That said, I kind of wonder if she is a gender inverted version of Dian, the Emerald Warlock, who was a villain of Wanda's who factored into the story that the Witches' Road originates from.

This character is unidentified in the trailer but it looks like this might be Okwui Okpokwasili's role, it kinda looks like her mouth and chin there. She is rumored to be playing Vertigo, the leader of Salem's Seven, who were Agatha's mutated grandchildren in the comics. I think this might be our first look at Salem's Seven proper--I think it was rumored they were changed into seven cursed witches who can turn into animals or something?

Last edited:

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Not really...

Looks like the exact opposite if anything, ain't nobody checking for Agatha in the movies
lol like honestly. Like it isn't the one or two TV shows a year (TV shows are only like 8 episodes now), and you 100% know they'll do a recap at the beginning. It isnt rocket science here.

GifGafJef

Dec 19, 2022
Doesnt look too interesting. Was likely not gonna watch it anyways but i kind of figured the trailer would be more interesting.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Variety's article accidentally spoiled that Joe Locke was playing Billy Kaplan, but they've since edited it to remove the character names. The most obvious casting in the world, but Marvel wants to play this close to their chest I guess, despite the name meaning nothing to anyone who hasn't read the comics.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
My opinion on "epic trailer music" has been stated before, but honestly it looks fun. I'll check it out. MCU needs fresh stuff, and this is pretty fresh.

TheBee

Oct 18, 2023
The way people just root for stuff to fail here is pathetic.

Stop gatekeeping. It's pathetic you're going straight to that retort. I'm looking forward to it and hope it does well.

My view is that people are just Marvel'd out. There's too much content and that's why Disney are dialling back. I don't really see it grabbing the attention of anyone but the more hardcore MCU fan and for better or worse, we'll see a lot less shows like this going forward.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Stop gatekeeping. It's pathetic you're going straight to that retort. I'm looking forward to it and hope it does well.

My view is that people are just Marvel'd out. There's too much content and that's why Disney are dialling back. I don't really see it grabbing the attention of anyone but the more hardcore MCU fan and for better or worse, we'll see a lot less shows like this going forward.

This is the exact same bullshit people said about Echo and it ended up being one of the most successful D+ shows of the year.

"As soon as a show focused on a lesser known character it simply must be a failure cause I don't like it. And I of course speak for the mass audiences."

That's what's actually tiresome.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Ngl looks better than I imagined, but hopefully, it actually turns out to be one of the better MCU D+ show along the lines of Wandavision and Loki.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
This is not the tone I was expecting, but I'm in. It looks dope.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
I haven't watched an MCU show in a while but this looks to be the one to pull me back in

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore

Lots of casuals can easily jump in here. It's a fun Halloween timed horror/comedy series with Marvel marketing backing it. It's not going to do worse than lame ducks like Eternals. That movie tanked so hard Chloe Zhao doesn't even have a career anymore despite winning an Oscar. Lol.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
I don't see why this wouldn't do well. It looks fun, stars a character that was popular, and is a direct followup to the MCU show that was perhaps the most successful in the mainstream.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Have been super uninterested in Marvel releases the last several years and honestly this is the first one in a while I'm way in for. It feels less like "here's chapter 234 of the ongoing MCU" and much more "here's a fun Halloween horror/comedy adventure with a great cast that will also probably end with some MCU tease" which is way more interesting to me. Looking forward to it!

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
The Witches' Road here comes from a Scarlet Witch story from 2016. Makes sense they would pull from it considering Agatha doesn't really have stories of her own to pull from.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
maybe what disney+'s live action shows needed to be good was just agatha all along

Oct 26, 2017
Echo didn't need to be a series from her appearance in Hawkeye, but what do you know, it turns out that the MCU needed to have a low stakes small town drama with lots of representation. If this is anywhere as good, I'm in.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Is that detective Agatha talks to in the beginning of the trailer the Westview citizen that Wanda cast as "Herb" in Wandavision, or am I going crazy?

latest

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is that detective Agatha talks to in the beginning of the trailer the Westview citizen that Wanda cast as "Herb" in Wandavision, or am I going crazy?

latest

Yep that's him. Given that they kept Debra, makes sense that several of the Westview characters would be in this show since that's where they trapped Agatha.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Yep that's him. Given that they kept Debra, makes sense that several of the Westview characters would be in this show since that's where they trapped Agatha.
Yeah, I kinda wonder if Ralph Bohner will show up. Actually that makes me think--where has Agatha been living since Wanda trapped her in her spell? She was living in Ralph's house in Wanda's hex, but that was only because she had kidnapped and brainwashed him. And presumably Agatha has been left in Westview, stuck thinking she is a television character--but how does she appear to the normal citizens of Westview? Like, they're not trapped anymore, but apparently at least one of them "plays a role" in Agatha's "show." This is presumably only from Agatha's perspective, but what is she *actually* doing?

Jun 12, 2022
Imma be honest after the release of stuff like Doom Patrol and Peacemaker, its hard to really be excited for more upcoming MCU streaming shows. They've just feel sorta lacking in comparison.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
Looks alright I guess, but I have zero trust in Marvel actually committing to the tone.

Why? Marvel committed to the tone in Wandavision and Werewolf By Night, and this is closest to those two projects. Hell, Marvel committed to the tone in Moon Knight as well, even if that was less effective in the end. If anything, the ONE thing I currently trust Marvel with is letting their weird, occult offshoots find their own way.

No guarantees this will hit in the end, but it seems like the one area Marvel lets their creatives take shots without too much interference.